• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neil Druckmann: Next big Naughty Dog game being worked on – "We're already into our next Project"

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Naughty Dog are my favorite. In terms of what I'd like to see

1. New IP, space or fantasy setting
2. TLOU Part III, infected >>> human conflicts

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Here's some Naughty Dog character art from some of their concept developers

zWAd0js.jpg
Ca5pUvR.jpg
NRkweZL.jpg

Woggleman

I hope they go even darker. ND should have been the ones to make a Cyberpunk game because I feel could have really done something with the themes. I hope it is not some cartoony stuff like Jak and Dexter or Crash Bandicoot.

It's going to be TLOU3 guys. Craig Mazin said that the tv show wont finish the story before the game which means the game is coming out in the next 2-3 years. It will probably take them 2 years to do season 2 and another year or so to do season 3 which is supposedly going to cover TLOU2. My guess is that by the time season 3 comes out in 2026, we would have TLOU3 out already and season 3 will cover some events from that game.

Yup.

That quote...

""I know the fans really want The Last of Us Part III---I hear about it all the time---and all I can say is that we're already into our next project. So the decision has already been made. I can't say what it is, but that's the process we went through---that there was a lot of consideration of different things, and we picked the thing we're most excited for.""

So the project they picked to work on next, that they are most excited for, could obviously be TLOU PT3

I'll be honest tho, after TLOU PT2, they really need to have a story that makes you like the characters again. There needs to be some sort of redemption arc after the non-stop savagery tone of TLOU2.

It also needs to be more than a linear third person shooter walk and talk slog. Broaden the world building, gameplay mechanics, character progression so that it isn't intentionally sabotaged by a split game.

Otherwise? If it's structured as more of the same like TLOU2 was, I am not particularly excited for the project.

gothmog

Gold Member
I'd love to see factions be able to present story content. That would be some nice filler until they get tlou3 ready.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yup.

That quote...

""I know the fans really want The Last of Us Part III---I hear about it all the time---and all I can say is that we're already into our next project. So the decision has already been made. I can't say what it is, but that's the process we went through---that there was a lot of consideration of different things, and we picked the thing we're most excited for.""

So the project they picked to work on next, that they are most excited for, could obviously be TLOU PT3

I'll be honest tho, after TLOU PT2, they really need to have a story that makes you like the characters again. There needs to be some sort of redemption arc after the non-stop savagery tone of TLOU2.

It also needs to be more than a linear third person shooter walk and talk slog. Broaden the world building, gameplay mechanics, character progression so that it isn't intentionally sabotaged by a split game.

Otherwise? If it's structured as more of the same like TLOU2 was, I am not particularly excited for the project.
Yeah, i like TLOU2 for the things it 'tried' to do but I agree, playing it was a soul crushing experience. And not just because of the extremely unlikable cast and a dreary plot, but also because 30 hours for a linear game like that is just way too long. It's hilarious watching youtube reactions of the character switch when you finally switch to Abby, but for me personally, my heart sank when i realized they wanted me to level up Abby from scratch. I was like I just cant go through another 12 hours of this shit.

I have issues with GOW's pacing, but its a much better experience than a straight shot uncharted/tlou like experience.

They can also go the Resident Evil route. Just bigger.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Yeah, i like TLOU2 for the things it 'tried' to do but I agree, playing it was a soul crushing experience. And not just because of the extremely unlikable cast and a dreary plot, but also because 30 hours for a linear game like that is just way too long. It's hilarious watching youtube reactions of the character switch when you finally switch to Abby, but for me personally, my heart sank when i realized they wanted me to level up Abby from scratch. I was like I just cant go through another 12 hours of this shit.

I have issues with GOW's pacing, but its a much better experience than a straight shot uncharted/tlou like experience.

They can also go the Resident Evil route. Just bigger.

I think TLOU could have been far better if they just went an "Anthology" route. Smaller, mostly self-contained stories that could weave a larger narrative of a location. It would allow multiple viewpoints, a focus on new characters, and allows for the crafting/upgrading to be more useful given the shorter nature of each of the stories. A 30 hour adventure of 4-5 stories is far better proposition than what we got with 2. Plus, more replayability given the shorter nature.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
What do you mean here?
Metroidvania. It's funny... in the RE4 demo thread, i wanted it to have combat like TLOU2, but here I want the game design to be more like RE2.

I dont know what it is about RE, but I can play and replay these games over and over again without getting bored. Part of it is the metroidvania design of unlocking new areas that interconnect and part of it is that they offer a much more rewarding experience than the linear Uncharted/TLOU level design of constantly moving forward.

To me, it's far better to have that kind of linear game with multiple hub worlds than to have a long 30 hour slogfest. I dont want the series going open world because that open world section in day one of Seattle is actually very long and boring on repeated playthroughs.

Metroidvania. It's funny... in the RE4 demo thread, i wanted it to have combat like TLOU2, but here I want the game design to be more like RE2.

I dont know what it is about RE, but I can play and replay these games over and over again without getting bored. Part of it is the metroidvania design of unlocking new areas that interconnect and part of it is that they offer a much more rewarding experience than the linear Uncharted/TLOU level design of constantly moving forward.

To me, it's far better to have that kind of linear game with multiple hub worlds than to have a long 30 hour slogfest. I dont want the series going open world because that open world section in day one of Seattle is actually very long and boring on repeated playthroughs.

Yeah I posted something similar in the other TLOU thread but adding a hub you can build up with branching wide linear paths locked behind mechanics metroidvania style adds so much more diversity to the overall experience

It is friggin boring going from point A to point B with the only thing to do being shoot, loot, or walk n talk. There’s literally nothing else to do I’m the game and it feels shallow and hollow as a result

RCU005

How disappointing that Naughty Dog just became TLoU studio (almost like how 343 is just a Halo studio).

They took so long to get out of Uncharted only to now get stuck with TLoU. With Neil Druckmann being in charge and the game being his creation, I don’t see them moving on anytime soon.

Even if the next game (after TLoU online) is not Part 3, I believe it will still be TLoU related. I bet on that.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

TLOU is too close to peoples hearts and the story is beloved as is the characters, I cant imagine it being anything else but a Part 3.
Neil owns those characters and that story and I think he knows how important it is for him to have ownership over what happens next so I think thats the next big project and it will go on to live through factions.

geary

So TLOU online on PS4/PS5 and PC and a new game from ND on PS5. One 30 hours SP game for the whole generation….damn, thats exciting

Synless

I just want a new god damn game from them. They have released a single remaster and we are almost three years into this gen.

Wow ND, doing great this gen.

They have to get to work on TLOU3 or the show will either be scrapped after Season 3 or they start making shit up like the latter seasons of GoT lol.

It is friggin boring going from point A to point B with the only thing to do being shoot, loot, or walk n talk. There’s literally nothing else to do I’m the game and it feels shallow and hollow as a result
Puzzles are too "video gamey." Platforming is too "video gamey." Really not much left that this strict adherence to "realism" allows. Base building?

mxbison

I just want them to finally get factions out of the way so we can look forward to their next big singleplayer game.

Whatever it is, I'm in day 1.

Elios83

Great news that the next game after TLOU Online is a new IP.
It's obvious that with the success of the TV series the TLOU IP is stronger than ever but Naughty Dog should not become imprisoned by it so this is great news.

As a Naughty Dog fan, I'd be massively disappointed if their next game isn't a new IP. From a gameplay perspective, I'm not sure how much Uncharted or TLOU can improve upon previous entries. For me, Naughty Dog is right behind Rockstar when it comes to technical ability. I really Want ND to tackle something that can properly show off the incredible detail in their animations that isn't restricted to realism games

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
For the final Last of Us podcast, they had Ashley Johnson on and I swear she teased TLOU3 by saying she would like to have the networked cordyceps idea from the show into the game.
Here's the link and it should start exactly where she talks about it but if not it's starts at 1:07:25

ZoukGalaxy

"We're not working on TLOU Part 3, we're working on TLOU III, we removed "Part", that's totally different"

Big Mouth Lol GIF by MOODMAN

With the TV show going on, that would be really stupid to not work on TLOU.

Last edited:

coffinbirth

TLOU3 will be very soon to ensure max cross-gen sales.

That being said, I REALLY hope a new IP is at least in preproduction as well.

The multiplayer project, which should release by June of next year, at the latest. TLOU Part III for 2026. A new IP for 2028/2029. My prediction.

Last edited:

Nubulax

I just want a new god damn game from them. They have released a single remaster and we are almost three years into this gen.

Wow ND, doing great this gen.
Ya its not like they released TLOU2 literally right before PS5 came out or anything lol

That was more of a punishment than anything.
Was releasing TLOU 1 right before PS4 also a punishment? It came out in June of 2013, PS4 in November of that year. TLOU 2 in 2020 and November for PS5. TLOU 3 most likely 2028 summer with November PS6, if not 2028 then 2029 summer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom