• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neil Druckmann: Next big Naughty Dog game being worked on – "We're already into our next Project"

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Was releasing TLOU 1 right before PS4 also a punishment? It came out in June of 2013, PS4 in November of that year. TLOU 2 in 2020 and November for PS5. TLOU 3 most likely 2028 summer with November PS6, if not 2028 then 2029 summer.

No. Releasing TLOU 2 at all was the punishment.

woosh GIF

FunkMiller

The Last Of Us HBO Season 2 (game two part 1) = 2024
The Last Of Us HBO Season 3 (game two part 2) = 2025
The Last Of Us Part 3 on Ps5 (first half) & HBO Season 4 (first half) = 2026
The Last Of Us Part 3 on Ps5 (second half) & HBO Season 5 (second half) = 2027

Samkeeley Happening GIF by Paramount Network

TLOU3 is being made right now.
Remake part 1 was a success and the show was a smash hit.

We all love games but it's a business at the end of the day. They would have to be stupid to not capitalise on the recent success and they don't appear stupid.

Synless

Ya its not like they released TLOU2 literally right before PS5 came out or anything lol
Right, let’s use that for example then. Similar event for TLOU 1 except we had Uncharted 4 released in roughly the same amount of time we are in now.

We don’t even have a trailer for a new game and we are three years in.

Last edited:

Roufianos

Last of Us 3, no doubt.

2 killed my passion for the series though the TV series has been a reminder as to why I loved it. Can't say I'm too excited but we'll see.

Gaelyon

Gold Member
They work on several projects at the same time, so TLOU multi is near completion, and TLOU3 and a new IP are both in (early for TLOU3) production.

Woggleman

If I were ND I would make the Punisher game and make a total alpha male orgy of violence and action with nothing that could be accused of being so called woke. People would be confused as hell.

Pigenator

One thing is certain - TLOU3 is happening. Is it their next game? Who knows.
If not, it's the one after that.

TLOU2 success, TLOU part 1 success and now the HBO show breaking records and actually surpassing House of the Dragon (plus greenlit for 2 more seasons) - there's just no way that they're going to abandon this franchise.
On the one hand, I'd love to see a new IP by them since it's been a long time they made one, but on the other hand TLOU2 was so goddamn excellent that I wouldn't mind seeing the next chapter.

Last edited:

Elysion

Banned
I don’t think there will be a TLoU part 3, at least not anytime soon. I also don’t think the tv show really needs more material; TLoU 2 works perfectly fine as an ending for all the major characters (even if the ending is miserable). This isn’t like ASoIaF where the story was (and still is) unfinished when they started making the show. TLoU part 1+2 are enough for a self-contained story of two or three seasons; there‘s no need to drag it out. If they want more seasons, they could easily introduce new characters in season 2 or 3, who then take over as the main characters once Ellie‘s and Abby‘s story is over. That‘s kinda how Game of Thrones did it; Ned Stark was the main character in season one, but after he was killed his kids took over.

Also, regarding TLoU3, while I agree that Sony/ND want to capitalize on the show’s success, I don’t think a direct sequel is the only way they can do that. I think the upcoming Factions game will fill that role instead. The fact that it‘s taking this long probably means that it’s not just a standard multiplayer game anymore, and that it will be much more expansive than most people expect.

I think ‚Factions‘ will have a big focus on story just like the other games in the series (though with new characters), with the difference that it‘s gonna be playable in coop like RE5. The concept art we‘ve seen from the game (with two adult characters traveling together) seems to suggest this too. I think there will be a main coop campaign with a story comparable to TLoU1+2, as well as a bunch of other multiplayer modes that will also have a focus on coop. And a game like that can (and will) be supported for many years; they could time the release of major expansions with new seasons of the tv show.

In short, I think Factions will for all intents and purposes be ‚TLoU3‘.

Last edited:
The Last Of Us HBO Season 2 (game two part 1) = 2024
The Last Of Us HBO Season 3 (game two part 2) = 2025
The Last Of Us Part 3 on Ps5 (first half) & HBO Season 4 (first half) = 2026
The Last Of Us Part 3 on Ps5 (second half) & HBO Season 5 (second half) = 2027

Samkeeley Happening GIF by Paramount Network
You actually make a good point here: if they want the games to keep ahead of the series they’ll have to seriously make haste with Part 3.

Or they split up the stories by focusing on different characters. Either way they’ll have to take the series into account with the games’ planning.

Woggleman

I think the next game should involve Lev also being immune. I know why Ellie is immune in the show but these are two different things. Abby and Lev one day are out something and they get attacked by a pack of infected which Abby survives and Lev gets bit but doesn't tell her similar to Henry and Sam. Time passes and he never turns which makes the fireflies want to use him for a second chance at a cure. Abby ironically reacts like Joel but is killed in the process and they try to make a cure out of Lev. It turns out that it doesn't work and it was all for nothing.

Meanwhile Ellie is a broken woman who feels survivor's guilt plus guilt over her actions and decides that it is time to make things right. On her way she ends up running into various people and helping them out and starts to feel a purpose in life. Once she reaches the fireflies base it is abandoned and she learns what happened with Abby and Lev. She has very conflicted feelings about dying and realizes that she has more worth than just being a human science experiment and that Joel was right all along. She then decides to focus and making the world a better place no matter what the future might hold for humanity.

Naughty Dog has the ability to consistently push the medium forward if they stopped putting so much emphasis on TLOU and uncharted.

if they were to make say...a new IP after each entry of those franchises I think we'd be looking at an entirely new phase of the industry.

they are one of those devs that really can make any idea feel like the next leap...in fact I think a zombie drama is holding back their creativity to be frank. Imagine what they would do with high science fiction or fantasy...

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Druckmann lies like a politician when it comes to The Last Of Us.

Of course it's TLOU3.

There's no way they're ending that story at the conclusion of part 2.

They have yet to address the nature of Ellie's immunity - which will be a major plot point of the final game.
Did they not address that in the last episode of the show?
When Ellie's mum was bit just as she was giving birth so some cordyceps got transferred but probably not enough and over time her body probably built up an immunity to it, that's what I took from it

FunkMiller

Did they not address that in the last episode of the show?
When Ellie's mum was bit just as she was giving birth so some cordyceps got transferred but probably not enough and over time her body probably built up an immunity to it, that's what I took from it

I think that was a deliberate red herring. Marlene talked more about the specifics of how Ellie's cordyceps was different in the show. I think they're setting up the idea that Ellie does have cordyceps - just a different type. Which, IMO, is setting us up for the twist that Ellie probably isn't the only immune person, or isn't immune at all. Someone did a YouTube video ages ago about it, and I think they've probably got it more or less spot on:

Last edited:
hope they really build out their animation tech to meet/exceed the original TLOU2 trailers, and make it physics-based.
and let other sony titles use it.

euphoria in GTA4 was like playing with the future, then it stagnated/got worse in GTA5.
want something to supplant euphoria.

mckmas8808

Banned
I think that was a deliberate red herring. Marlene talked more about the specifics of how Ellie's cordyceps was different in the show. I think they're setting up the idea that Ellie does have cordyceps - just a different type. Which, IMO, is setting us up for the twist that Ellie probably isn't the only immune person, or isn't immune at all. Someone did a YouTube video ages ago about it, and I think they've probably got it more or less spot on:

Ahhhhh......hmmmmmmm.......I don't know about this on Jim!

I suppose the ideal scenario would be a New IP (Maybe a smaller game in scope) in 2025 and Part 3 in 2027.

At latest Part 3 would need to be out by like 2027 or 2028 if they want the show to continue.

Personally I'd rather Part 3 over a new IP if we can only have one or the other. But supposedly they got 3 teams so maybe Factions in late 2023 or early 2024, New Smaller Scope IP in 2025 and Part 3 in 2027 might be possible.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Would love to say I'm excited about TLOU3, but I'm really not. TLOU1 left off with possibly the best lead in to a sequel in gaming history. There was so much it could build on with how it left off.

TLOU2's ending is the worst of all worlds because it kind of both left Ellie's journey unresolved, but at the same time wrapped up a lot of threads just enough to where it would feel ultra awkward and forced to bring them back again.

Bring back the Fireflies after not really having them front and center in TLOU2? Bring back Abby? For what?

More Joel flashbacks? Can't keep relying on those for emotional moments because you lost the only aspect of your story that actually drove emotions. That would feel incredibly cheap.

That dumbass revenge plot was an awful lead in to any part 3.

Gambit2483

Insomniac is running circles around these clowns. If it wasn't for TLOU part 1 and the Uncharted Remasters they wouldn't have released anything in nearlt half a decade. What they hell have they been doing all this time?

Last edited:

Gaelyon

Gold Member

In episode 2 she's bitten a second time by a clicker in the museum, and the bite has no effect on her (that second wound confirm her total immunity to Joel). So according to the show she's really immune. Of course they could have other people like her somewhere.

Last edited:
Top Bottom