• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neil Druckmann on TLOU Part 3: "I think there's more story to tell."

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
After TLOU2 this series has lost relevancy, just like Uncharted after the fourth one.

They should really fire Cuckmann and bring Amy Hennig back.

Amy_hennig_gdca_2019_cropped.jpg
Uncharted really GAINED a lot relevancy with 4.
It's my fav by far. Gone away with stupid yetis and zombies from Hennig games. She is overrated.
4 is such an incredibly high jump in quality, it almost makes 2 look way older than it is.... and I really like whole trilogy

FunkMiller

Gold Member
He's got a point. Ellie's story remains rather unresolved at the end of Part 2. There's a definite redemption arc for her in a potential third game. Druckmann won't be able to resist doing a trilogy. he's way too steeped in cinema to pass the opportunity up to do his Return Of The Jedi, now he's done Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back. Abby's story is done, though. She won't be back.

Also, she's not really immune, and they have to do something with that twist:

These theory videos are usually horseshit, but given how much research Naughty Dog did into cordyceps, I well imagine them going for this kind of twist. (If you can't be bothered to watch, essentially Ellie is infected with a different strain of cordyceps that fights off the kind that turns you into a zombie. This is actually based in the science of how the fungus operates in the real world).

Last edited:

darrylgorn

I'm glad I never really gave a fuck about this series so I got to enjoy the drama from a safe distance.

Will probably pick up the steam version when it goes on sale and never bother with any of the sequels.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

He's got a point. Ellie's story remains rather unresolved at the end of Part 2. There's a definite redemption arc for her in a potential third game. Druckmann won't be able to resist doing a trilogy. he's way too steeped in cinema to pass the opportunity up to do his Return Of The Jedi, now he's done Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back. Abby's story is done, though. She won't be back.

Also, she's not really immune, and they have to do something with that twist:

These theory videos are usually horseshit, but given how much research Naughty Dog did into cordyceps, I well imagine them going for this kind of twist. (If you can't be bothered to watch, essentially Ellie is infected with a different strain of cordyceps that fights off the kind that turns you into a zombie. This is actually based in the science of how the fungus operates in the real world).

What do you mean she's not immune? She didn't turn from the bite in TLOU and years later didn't from the one in TLOU2 and there's been no downside shown from her breathing spores.

If the she wasn't, that would also quickly resolve who (in hindsight) was right at the hospital.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
just do it. i will be delighted to see the consequences of the shitshow that was TLoP2 reflected in the sales.
It already has started. Its been what, 4 months since the TLOU 1 Remake, and Sony didn't give any statement about its performance?

And the one data that Sony gave (the overall franchise sales) indicates that the remake sold around "only" around 3 or 4 millions. Its not bad, even for a project with a big budget like this one, but it still clearly small.

ssringo

So long as it releases at the tail end of current gen so i can rebuy it at least twice more next gen.

Also, I wanna see Abby's facial hair grow in real time. We're ready.

Nautilus

Banned
I think Ellie will be seeking out the Fireflies and may stumble across Dina (and/or Abby) along the way.

I think a really beautiful ending that would be congruent with the tone of the series would for Ellie to find the Fireflies and willingly sacrifice herself to find a cure. And in typical TLOU fashion, we never find out whether her sacrifice led to an actual cure or not.
And then further spitting over Joel's sacrifice and decision in the first game.

That would go over really well.

Nautilus

Banned
After TLOU2 this series has lost relevancy, just like Uncharted after the fourth one.

Ever since Amy stopped working there, all of Naughty Dog stories went super realistic and serious.

The best part of Uncharted was the story, and how well it blended realism and supernatural. It was AWESOME to discover that the source of the mysteries of the first game was supernatural, and from a gameplay perspective it changed things up, in the enemies front.

Now? Its all novelas.Novelas man, pura drama, and zero plot. Its fucking frustrating.

Happy for the people who enjoy the franchise. For me personally the franchise jumped the sharked with TLOU2 like TWD jumped the shark after the Ibraham and Glenn Lucille to the head.

aclar00

They could easily do a TLOU 2.5 that takes place after 1 but before 2 Basically the time spent traveling to and living in Jackson.

NinjaBoiX

TLOU - 2013
TLOU Remastered - 2014
TLOU2 - 2020
TLOU Re-remastered - 2022
TLOU2 Remastered - 2023 (rumoured)
TLOU Re-remastered Turbo Alpha - 2024
TLOU3 - 2025/6/7?
Very good, you pointed out that they’ve released Part 1 three times on different systems, and made up two releases entirely for some reason.

But that’s not what we’re talking about and you know it.

Nautilus

Banned
Heaven forbid Ellie gets the choose whether she wants to live or die.
Well, she can, doesn't mean that it is a great moral theme to convey( Basically saying willfully, not-spur-of-the-moment suicide is good if for the greater good.Especially when there is zero garantees that it will work), or that is a good decision, plot-wise, to do that since most of the themes of the previous games revolves around letting go of previous negative feelings and try to enjoy what you have now, even if in a shitty, zombie infested world.

Ar¢tos

Very good, you pointed out that they’ve released Part 1 three times on different systems, and made up two releases entirely for some reason.

But that’s not what we’re talking about and you know it.
TLOU2 ps5 remaster is not made up. They cancelled the patch for the ps4 version improvements when running on ps5 bc, and there are rumors that a ps5 native version (basically a remaster) is going to be released.

Hugare

I remember Druckman saying that TLOU is about Joel and Ellie

So I dont know how they could keep making these games

Make spin-offs like Lost Legacy with Abby and Lev, maybe? Or Joel and Tommy trying to survive when they were younger

But main entries? Nah.

Let Ellie rest, ffs

I love this series. But I would roll my eyes at a 3rd part announcement.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

I remember Druckman saying that TLOU is about Joel and Ellie

So I dont know how they could keep making these games

Make spin-offs like Lost Legacy with Abby and Lev, maybe? Or Joel and Tommy trying to survive when they were younger

But main entries? Nah.

Let Ellie rest, ffs

I love this series. But I would roll my eyes at a 3rd part announcement.
Joel and Bill "one time at band camp" DLC.

He's got a point. Ellie's story remains rather unresolved at the end of Part 2. There's a definite redemption arc for her in a potential third game. Druckmann won't be able to resist doing a trilogy. he's way too steeped in cinema to pass the opportunity up to do his Return Of The Jedi, now he's done Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back. Abby's story is done, though. She won't be back...
well, considering that it's only upon death that anyone's 'story' is truly resolved, i'm not so sure i really need that level of closure in order to consider either a video game or a video game series 'complete'. truth is, i was, & continue to be, very content with the ending of the original game as is, & have no use for tlou2 whatsoever (yes, i completed it, but will never go near it again)...

Robb

Gold Member
Sure, as long as each installment keep selling 10+ million copies there will always be more stories to tell.

Last edited:

yurinka

Yes, what they did to Joel was unfair. TLOU1 focused on Joel & Ellie, TLOU2 focused on Ellie & the monster, TLOU3 should focus on Joel and a likeable character (maybe Ellie, or Ellie's mother/father if aren't already main chars of TLOU Online to explain the origins of the virus and why Ellie is inmune).

If Abby goes back should be to chop her head with a chainsaw in the intro, that's all.

So Sony really looked at Gears/Halo/Forza and thought ‘sound strategy that lads, let’s do it’.
Doesn't make sense to copy MS's strategy when the one Sony already has is more successful.

More TLOU, more Horizon, more Insomniac capeshit, etc., Sony is becoming boring.
If you don't like sequels, what do you think about the series you have as avatar?

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
What do you mean she's not immune? She didn't turn from the bite in TLOU and years later didn't from the one in TLOU2 and there's been no downside shown from her breathing spores.

If the she wasn't, that would also quickly resolve who (in hindsight) was right at the hospital.

Watch the video I posted or read my post. They can engineer a situation where Ellie is not actually the last hope for mankind… and thus justify Joel’s actions.

Last edited:

NickFire

So long as it releases at the tail end of current gen so i can rebuy it at least twice more next gen.

Also, I wanna see Abby's facial hair grow in real time. We're ready.
My guess is the following order will be:

PS5 - LOU2 remastered
PS5 - Multiplayer of some sort
PS5 - LOU3
PS6 - LOU remastered of remake of remaster
PS6 - LOU2 remake of LOU2
PS6 - LOU3 remake

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
well, considering that it's only upon death that anyone's 'story' is truly resolved, i'm not so sure i really need that level of closure in order to consider either a video game or a video game series 'complete'. truth is, i was, & continue to be, very content with the ending of the original game as is, & have no use for tlou2 whatsoever (yes, i completed it, but will never go near it again)...

Well, I tend to agree. They shouldn’t have made a sequel. The ending to part 1 was ambiguously brilliant.

But they did, and they’ve left more than enough hanging for a third part with Ellie’s redemption.

1st = love
2nd = hate
3rd = forgiveness

bitbydeath

I'm glad I never really gave a fuck about this series so I got to enjoy the drama from a safe distance.

Will probably pick up the steam version when it goes on sale and never bother with any of the sequels.
It’s like Westworld.
The first is a masterpiece and closes things out nicely enough that you can forget the trash that comes after.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

When's the last time Amy actually released a game? Because I can tell you the last time Neil released one....

killatopak

I think I'm ready to move on from Ellie and Joel's story.

Rather it be a completely new character with no connections to previous character other than the overarching groups.

murmulis

Ever since Amy stopped working there, all of Naughty Dog stories went super realistic and serious.

The best part of Uncharted was the story, and how well it blended realism and supernatural. It was AWESOME to discover that the source of the mysteries of the first game was supernatural, and from a gameplay perspective it changed things up, in the enemies front.

Now? Its all novelas.Novelas man, pura drama, and zero plot. Its fucking frustrating.
Super realistic?

Nate & his friends wreck a bunch of foreign cities, kill a ridiculous amount of people and then simply retire as if nothing happened. In reality he'd be hunted by all sorts of mercenaries, law enforcement agencies and god knows who else. Each guy that he killed has friends and loved ones. Tens of thousands of people would want Nate dead.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
TLOU 2 ruined any future TLOU games for me. It's not good enough gameplay/combat wise to stand out without a compelling story, and the choices in 2 ruined it. They got rid of what I considered the thing that most of all made TLOU 1 great. It's akin to me not caring about Game of Thrones anymore, once D&D ruined that series.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
That's the whole reason they told the story. Discomfort and revenge/vendetta/hatred, nobody wins in the end.

There are ways that you can do this while still providing a memorable, well-paced, well written story with characters you like and hate in equal measure. Berserk is literally the poster child for this style of storytelling.

TLOU2 fails to do that. Its story is not driven by its characters, but has its characters driven by the plot (thus creating discrepancies between this and the previous entry with character motivations and how they react/act to situations). A story that is so heavy handed with its messaging and lacks any nuance. A story that utterly fails on so many levels when put under critical scrutiny. However, this has been discussed ad nauseum in numerous other threads and it always ends the same way.

I am glad people enjoy it and I hope they continue to do so - but there is a reason for why the game has garnered such critical response.

Super realistic?

Nate & his friends wreck a bunch of foreign cities, kill a ridiculous amount of people and then simply retire as if nothing happened. In reality he'd be hunted by all sorts of mercenaries, law enforcement agencies and god knows who else. Each guy that he killed has friends and loved ones. Tens of thousands of people would want Nate dead.

Hence the arguments of Ludonarrative Dissonance that was prevalent around that time. Its story was far more "down to earth" compared to previous entries. Imagine going from a story akin to Indiana Jones and then having its sequel be something akin to Casablanca but keep all the violence and action. There is a major disconnect that is noticeable for many. Now whether this is an issue for you or not, only you can decide. But I do understand why people were taken aback and dislike the fourth entry (and vice versa). PErsonally I think it would have been better served as a spinoff, not the main fourth entry.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
There are ways that you can do this while still providing a memorable, well-paced, well written story with characters you like and hate in equal measure. Berserk is literally the poster child for this style of storytelling.

TLOU2 fails to do that. Its story is not driven by its characters, but has its characters driven by the plot (thus creating discrepancies between this and the previous entry with character motivations and how they react/act to situations). A story that is so heavy handed with its messaging and lacks any nuance. A story that utterly fails on so many levels when put under critical scrutiny. However, this has been discussed ad nauseum in numerous other threads and it always ends the same way.

I am glad people enjoy it and I hope they continue to do so - but there is a reason for why the game has garnered such critical response.

Hence the arguments of Ludonarrative Dissonance that was prevalent around that time. Its story was far more "down to earth" compared to previous entries. Imagine going from a story akin to Indiana Jones and then having its sequel be something akin to Casablanca but keep all the violence and action. There is a major disconnect that is noticeable for many.
You are comparing a Manga to a video game. You can have so much more context and nuance without worrying about gameplay scenarios for pacing on the end user, etc.. I can pull out a narrative book series and compare it to almost any narrative game and show the shortcomings in contrast.

I beat the game once and never bothered to go back to it for the easy Platinum, because the story was so depressing and dreadful. The gameplay was great, but not enough for me to want to replay that story again. At least they accomplished what they set out to do, being that the story was not "fun" for me. And that's okay, there are a lot of oppressive slow burns from movies to shows that I enjoyed as well, and enjoyed only once.

Then there are the Souls games that tackle that oppressive atmosphere on a different level, probably easy to stomach since it's in a dark fantasy setting and not the real world.

Last edited:
Top Bottom