• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neil Druckmann On Why Naughty Dog Hasn't Revealed Next PS5 Game Yet

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
maxresdefault.jpg

We trust!

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
UNCH 2007
UNCH 2 2009
UNCH 3 2011
TLOU 2013
UNCH 4 2016
TLOU 2 2020

A dlc turned single player game (lost legacy) can arguably be added to 2017. They haven’t released a full game since TLOU PT 2. The rest were remasters already made. TLOU pt 1 was remade but still. Considering what insomniac has been doing but that’s different I guess. The multiplayer must be a destiny Esq game at this rate.
Man, always sad to see charts like this and be reminded of how dev time has balooned from 2 to 4+ years for most studios…

Ozriel

M$FT
I remembered this

Neil is right about this one. Dont announce it too early. It will take pressure away from the developers.

Bethesda isn’t under any pressure for ES6, though.

They still haven't properly announced the TLOU Online game though. We don't know its name, platforms, mode, or anything like that. We haven't officially seen the game yet. So technically, they haven't actually revealed the game yet -- just confirmed its existence for the aforementioned reason.

It’s been announced. We know the platforms and we’ve been told some details about the modes.

Didn't he say that there's more stories to tell in the last of us universe, in one of his last tweets, or am I conflating it with some other Sony first party studio head?

If it is him, then you guys seriously need to check your insecurities up about your favorite contemporary multi-million selling first party IP, getting a sequel, which you all are obviously going to buy day 1.

He's literally telling you that TLOU3 is next (apart from the already announced factions), but he doesn't want to officially announced it way early, so that they don't get the pressure from fans, like Cory Barlog did with GoW Ragnarok.

pressures my man.

ND and Sony can have this luxury.

we have a prime example of a company where it needed something to present (and beacuse it didn't had any) they had to use CGI videos, which create a wide range of problems for the devs.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
just take the L bro

With respect no sir. Porting doesn't really count in my eyes.

Also according to games radar PlayStation Visual Arts is the studio responsible for developing The Last of Us Part 1 remake. Maybe it was brought in house later l dunno.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
pressures my man.

we have a prime example of a company where it needed something to present (and beacuse it didn't had any) they had to use CGI videos, which create a wide range of problems for the devs.

Do we have any evidence that fanboys ranting on game enthusiast forums creates problems for developers?

Like, do the Playground devs working on Fable have to get therapy or work in crunch mode because of low credibility 4chan rumors of project reboot?

fermcr

Naughty Dog's latest games (Last of Us Part 2 and Uncharted 4) were kind of meh... Good looking games, but meh all the same.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
No we don’t.

He literally says there’s factions 2 and something else after that.

Where did you get tlou2 remake from?
Given the first has been remastered two times already I guess its a good qualified guess to get tlou2 remaster at least once.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Sounds a bit like Druckman is playing the diva card again. Teams need rigid deadlines or they'll fall into development hell. Priorities won't align, people will waive responsibility and the project will suffer from feature creeping.
Just look at Half Life 3 and Star Citizen.

Bethesda isn’t under any pressure for ES6, though.
They aren't?
Dang, it hasn't even been 2 years since they bought Bethesda and Microsoft is already failing as a publisher?

Umbasaborne

Banned
I remembered this

Neil is right about this one. Dont announce it too early. It will take pressure away from the developers.

Jesus christ that trailer was posted 4 years ago. How the fuck did their output just dive off a cliff so badly? They used to put out games way more frequently.

Godot25

Banned
pressures my man.

Lol. It's not like some Sony studio (ehm Insomniac) used CGI for their new game, right?
People need to understand that CGI teasers are not only for gamers, but also for developers. CGI trailers are nowadays commonly used as a hiring tactic. You will announce that you are working on XYZ game and developer can apply to free positions inside studio as a result "yeah, I want to work on Fable." Btw. I saw 2-3 PG developers that stated that they are part of PG because they are working on Fable. Even Insomniac peeps admitted that CGI Wolverine announcement was for hiring purposes.

It's nothing unusual. Crystal Dynamics just flat out stated "we are working on new Tomb Raider" even without CGI, CD Project revealed whole slate of projects without proper trailers. Blizzard announced new survival game without trailer. Monolith announced Wonder Woman with CGI, EA announced 3 Star Wars game without a single trailer and 3 Marvel games without trailers. You should get used to these sort of stuff, because it will be more common since AAA game development have shortage of experienced people.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
It’s been announced. We know the platforms and we’ve been told some details about the modes.
It's not.

We don't know the platforms: is it PS4/PS5/PC or PS4/PS5, PS5/PC or just PS5?
What's the official name of the game?
What are the game modes that will be available at launch?
What does the logo of the game look like?

If you have official information on that, which I may have missed out on, please share.

All we know is that the game's scope is bigger than TLOU Factions; it will have story elements, and it will be set in SF, California.

I wouldn't count faction 2 as a big PS5 game. It's more like a standalone DLC game as the first was included in TLOU remastered. It's just a MP mode.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I wouldn't count faction 2 as a big PS5 game. It's more like a standalone DLC game as the first was included in TLOU remastered. It's just a MP mode.
It's not in the same scope as Factions anymore, which is why it wasn't included in TLOU 2 as just an MP mode. It is now its own big online multiplayer game.

From the developers:

"We can finally announce that we’re creating something much larger than a mode. We’re growing our studio significantly to ensure we build this full-scale, standalone game, with its massive scope and immense world."

"It’s got a story. The way we’re telling the story is very unique to this game."

"The stand-alone multiplayer game will be as big as [our] single-player games, and in some ways [even] bigger.”

skit_data

We don’t know enough about it to conclude the scope of it or simply regard it as DLC. In fact, most of the news I’ve read about it points towards it being something bigger than just a simple multiplayer mode.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
It's not.

We don't know the platforms: is it PS4/PS5/PC or PS4/PS5, PS5/PC or just PS5?
What's the official name of the game?
What are the game modes that will be available at launch?
What does the logo of the game look like?

If you have official information on that, which I may have missed out on, please share.

All we know is that the game's scope is bigger than TLOU Factions; it will have story elements, and it will be set in SF, California.

We know from Sony that live service games will launch day and date on PC. We also know they aren’t making cross gen AAA games anymore.

It’s PS5 and PC

We know it’s an MP game set in the TLOU universe. Sony’s specified as such. Druckman took to the stage to say the game has a story mode and released some concept art.

It hasn’t been fully fleshed out, but to say that Sony hasn’t revealed that Naughty Dog is working on an MP TLOU game that will have a strong story focus…that’s just flat out wrong

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
We know from Sony that live service games will launch day and date on PC. We also know they aren’t making cross gen AAA games anymore.

It’s PS5 and PC

We know it’s an MP game set in the TLOU universe. Sony’s specified as such. Druckman took to the stage to say the game has a story mode and released some concept art.

It hasn’t been fully fleshed out, but to say that Sony hasn’t revealed that Naughty Dog is working on an MP TLOU game that will have a strong story focus…that’s just flat out wrong
There's nothing official specific to this game.

We can assume that this will be PS5 and PC, but that's not confirmed for the "MP TLOU game" (because we don't even know the name of the game).

And Sony has not officially said they aren't making any cross-gen games anymore. We may still get some. MLB '23 will likely be another cross-gen game.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
im pretty sure its way bigger than that, that is why its a standalone, they developing it for a long time.
I dont think Sony would allow ND to spend so many years on a standalone "dlc" size game.

Last edited:

MOTM

Banned
Excellent take. Say what you want about Druckmann but Naughty Dog is properly managed.

Microsoft shot themselves in the foot by revealing too many projects too early on. Now people are getting impatient and rumors abound that some of them are experiencing some serious development issue.

If Fable was announced this year, this would have never happened. They'd have announced it in 2023, have gameplay footage to show off later in the year or in 2024, and the game would release in 2024/2025. Instead, they announced it in 2020 and 2 years later, not a second of gameplay footage.

Same for Avowed, Everwild, and Perfect Dark. Keep your cards close to your chest. Gamers are an impatient bunch and believe everything they read.
It’s okay to announce games early as long as you give us some type of update in between. Could even be some more CG with some gameplay sprinkled in, kind of like Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League trailer. Issue with MS is they announce it then go totally silent for years.

Elios83

No the game has long abandoned the standalone DLC status and it will be their first big multiplayer project.
They already confirmed we'll get a proper announcement this year, hopefully it releases this year as well just like TLOU Part 1 was announced and released within a short time frame.
This is what Neil is also talking about here, no more early announcements with a release two years later which imo is a good thing.

I'm also really excited about the next project which could be a new IP.

Ozriel

M$FT
And Sony has not officially said they aren't making any cross-gen games anymore. We may still get some. MLB '23 will likely be another cross-gen game.

I specifically mentioned ‘AAA’ first party. MLB will likely be the only exception.
Aside that, There are no announced or revealed Sony first party AAA games that are coming to PS4.

Fbh

While I find it disappointing that ND has basically turned into The Last of Us studio these last few years, I agree with his stance on this.

Everyone should announce games when they actually have something to show and the game is 1-2 years away.

I dont know why some people would want some CG teaser trailer of something coming in 2025. These super early announcements have sucked for MS and would suck for Sony too.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I specifically mentioned ‘AAA’ first party. MLB will likely be the only exception.
Aside that, There are no announced or revealed Sony first party AAA games that are coming to PS4.
And MLB is a AAA first-party game. As you said, it will likely be an "exception." Similarly, TLOU 2 Online can be as well.

Or it may not be an exception. But we don't know that because Naughty Dog hasn't announced those details yet. We don't even know the name of the game.

Neil said they'll reveal everything this year. 🤞

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Shot in the dark here.

Yet another Last of Us.

Hope I’m wrong as I would love to play something new and different from them. Relegating that studio to the same IP for so long is a shame. Especially one that is as talented.

Naughty dog have become slower than they used to be. When you look at their games you can see why though. So much attention to detail and games are only getting more realistic, which means more work for naughty dog.

Jesus christ that trailer was posted 4 years ago. How the fuck did their output just dive off a cliff so badly? They used to put out games way more frequently.

Remember when Bethesda released oblivion, fallout 3, fallout new Vegas and skyrim, all in one generation on 360 and PS3? Good days. Now it takes them 5 - 10 years just to release one game.

After Jimbo took over the PlayStation division, Sony stopped announcing games too early (1 to 2,5 years until release). Which is a good thing. The annoying part is dealing with impatient fanboys. :pie_zipper:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Seems sensible to me. There are so many games out there we can wait a few extra months for something to come.

I do wish games were simpler and faster instead of 100 hour plus grind fests

HTK

Banned
Yes, don't reveal games that are 2 or 3 years from now it's stupid. Reveal a game when its ready to be revealed and released shortly after (6 to 12 months).

trikster40

It’s a solid approach. Honestly, I don’t want to know the game even exists until it’s gone gold and ready to ship in 2-3 months. I know that sometimes early announcements are necessary so you can get feedback, make adjustments, etc, but if it’s a solid game, just keep it under wraps.

who cares the gaming industry has been invaded by activists. I only look forward to games that are created by visionary's with passion for the project instead of completing some woke checklist.

Elbereth

Just finished Last of Us 2 a few minutes ago…After waiting so long to play it and trying my best to avoid spoilers over the last few year. All I can really say is that Druckmann and ND can take as long as they need to. The game is a Masterpiece.

Honestly, I can’t wait to see what they have been working on, but TLOU2 is going to be very hard to top. Honestly, I think the only studio that can would be ND themselves.

Last edited:
Why?
He made the best uncahrted in the series. 4 is such a huge improvement over previous games. I like the trilogy but 4? what a jump.
tlou2? Only one of best games ever created which DARES to have story not told by the fans. I am all for games that try different stuff rather than another joel adventure

I’ve been watching my gf playthrough TLOU 1 & 2 and watching someone not entrenched in gaming discourse day in and day out experience these games is a sight to behold. It’s like watching a young child taste ice cream for the first time.

Druckmann traumatized people with TLOU Part 2. The fact that people still reference that part of the game years later is like a cry for help from their PTSD.

Its like when i see pete davidson make jokes about his dad dying in 9/11.

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

I want a new IP from them. Something to be excited about. I like TLOU like every one else, but I don't think we need yet another entry in the franchise.
Maybe a new director/vision?

Top Bottom