• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neil Druckmann States That They're "Moving On" From "Uncharted", Might be the same for "The Last of Us"

MiguelItUp

So, TLOU2: Part 2 and then the new Factions game? I'd imagine TLOU3 would happen. But who knows, it could end with 2 and still be fine.

Would be neat to see them move onto a new IP. As much as I loved the first TLOU, and I'm curious about the upcoming multiplayer gam, I'm definitely feeling "TLOU-ed" out as of late, lol.

angrod14

“Our process is the same thing we did when we did Part 2, which is if we can come up with a compelling story that has this universal message and statement about love — just like the first and second game did — then we will tell that story. If we can’t come up with something, we have a very strong ending with Part 2 and that will be the end.”

I thought the second game was about "hate": https://kotaku.com/the-last-of-us-2-will-be-a-game-about-hate-1789662506

And no, Part II didn't have a strong ending like Part I:

The second game did nothing to advance the state of the pandemic worldwide. It was just a three day revenge story that abruptly ended just when the truly important things were getting interesting: the Fireflies reunion, with Abby rejoining them. As far as Ellie goes, I don't even know what to make of it. Is she on her own in the end, or was she just coming from Jackson to pick her stuff left behind? What is she supposed to do now moving forward?

Do a Part III. I want roided Abby again. She kicks ass. Fuck Factions. Fuck new IP.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
“Our process is the same thing we did when we did Part 2, which is if we can come up with a compelling story that has this universal message and statement about love — just like the first and second game did — then we will tell that story. If we can’t come up with something, we have a very strong ending with Part 2 and that will be the end.”

I thought the second game was about "hate": https://kotaku.com/the-last-of-us-2-will-be-a-game-about-hate-1789662506

The second game did nothing to advance the state of the pandemic worldwide. It was just a three day revenge story that abruptly ended just when the truly important things were getting interesting: the Fireflies reunion, with Abby rejoining them. As far as Ellie goes, I don't even know what to make of it. Is she on her own in the end, or was she just coming from Jackson to pick her stuff left behind? What is she supposed to do now moving forward?

Do a Part III. I want roided Abby again. She kicks ass. Fuck Factions. Fuck new IP.
About the lengths you will go for love, even losing it. There is a fine line between love and hate.

Its kind of funny how theres a great expectation on naughty dog and naughty dog only to do something new when you have people that are gonna go crazy over GTA6 and 10 years from now go crazy over Red Dead Redemption 3
GTA has different storys each time with different characters.

I'm not a fan of Uncharted anyways. I tried getting into it but it didn't click with me so I don't care about it.

TLOU was a story about Ellie and I think thats finished. Sure they can make another game in that world but calling it TLOU Part 3 wouldn't fit then if it wasn't about Ellie.
I could very well deal with a completley other story with new/other characterd in that world.

Valentino

I love that ND are in charge of what comes out and not Sony. Sony have done beyond amazing with their studios and there’s definitely a sense that Sony just sits back and lets them get on with their thing. However……. I don’t believe Neil. Diverting our expectations again 👀 saying the opposite of what’s really going on maybe?
We’re getting another Uncharted and another LoU.

hinch7

Good. As much as I like Uncharted and indifferent to TLOU as series go.. I want to see some new idea's and innovation from these guys.

Can't wait to see their new game.

Perhaps the ideology in the world of TLOU is that death could happen at any point and the offender committing the act could be anyone as well.

Maybe sometimes it's cliche to see the honorable death scenes and ND wanted to do something different. This death was unexpected from the player's POV and was most likely the intention.

This is the type of stuff I want more of; the unpredictable stuff that makes you feel a certain way afterwards. Like Sam and Henry. I couldn't play for an hour after that scene.
That a reason why I love Stephen King books. He didn't care killing off likeable characters. He isn't into happy endings. Which is something I miss way to often and why I had no problem with Joel dying.

Life is gruesome and we have to deal with that.

I was definitely planning on buying a PS5 if there was a last of us 3 down the pipeline one day, if not I hope the multiplayer portion ends up being done well because that might reel me in.

Definitely my favorite Sony franchise

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
It's funny how much traction any topic with Druckmann gets on Gaf.
For as much hate as he gets on here, people can't seem to help not paying attention to what he says and does.

Ar¢tos

TLOU MP was quite good on ps3, at least at the start. A few months later, balance was thrown out of the window and I stopped playing it.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
yeah UC 4 was pretty bad compared to 1-3. TLOU was always (for me ) just a UC without the climbing and puzzel solving. So whats next? just straight to making movies?

Good. It's time to move on.
Donald Trump GIF by NowThis

[Sigma]

Personally, I want them done with The Last of Us also after the multiplayer and just let it sleep for a while.

Mikey Jr.

I personally think tlou2 ended in a good spot.

I would be happy to retire Ellie if they did want to do a tlou3.

But my personal wish is factions being story heavy, and a new scifi ip like uncharted but in space.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Uncharted 4 was a perfect send off for all of the main characters. First and foremost, Nathan found the long term, stable family life he never had previously. While it would be cool to see some sequel involving his daughter, it's really not needed. Besides, what else can they even do with the franchise aside from taking a huge risk ala God of War and try to reinvent the gameplay from the ground up.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
LOU will be around for years. As long as the sales are there and the tv show is around, so will the game.

As for UC, it comes down to if ND focuses all attention on LOU content or not. They seemed to find resources to program UC/LL and LOU games at the same time, so it's doable. But if resources all funnel to LOU (LOU 3 and Factions), then maybe UC does get squeezed out.

sainraja

The Last of us: Part 3 starts with Joel waking up from a bad dream, in the dream, he was beaten to death with a golf club. This makes him remember some of the wrong decisions he's made, influenced by what he saw in his dream, he decides to go on a journey to find the child that he remembers and ask for forgiveness. :D

In all seriousness, I hope they are able to find a way to bring us something new without completely forgetting Uncharted/TLOU. Although, and I said this before, they typically do move on gen to gen, the PS4 gen ended up being the exception, so far.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Druckmann should check his notes: according to himself, TLOU3 was already outlined back before TLOU2 launched. With TLOU: Factions around the corner, and HBO needing more TLOU for their new TV Show, Naughty Dog is the TLOU studio for the rest of this generation, at least. Hopefully they can manage a B Team game somewhere in there, so we can see what else they can do.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

Sony can cash in with TLOU and Uncharted with any title n the next decade, Easy money.

Time to setup another new IP is the smart and bold move.

When I saw the ending of Uncharted 4 I would‘ve bet they‘re continuing the story with nates daughter. But the again, I appreciate that they‘re not going the Gears of War/Halo route.

I can see another studio making another Uncharted game.
If Factions is as well received as the TV show plus the boost in sales of the franchise, I'm sure we'll get TLOU 3.
And if the rumors are to be believed, they're working on a new IP that if it's as successful as Uncharted and TLOU, will probably receive a sequel. They'll be busy for the next decade or so.

Fox Mulder

There’s plenty of stories to tell with uncharted and it’s a known franchise. They’re fun action set piece games that nobody else makes. Sony can get someone else to do them and ND can move on to making another hit series.

Last edited:
"Our process is the same thing we did when we did Part 2, which is if we can come up with a compelling story that has this universal message and statement about love — just like the first and second game did"

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Really they should have stopped uncharted after 2 but I get that they literally had to follow up after the hype.

4 was just no where near as good as previous entries. 😕

Really excited for grounded and what they come up with next.

I really think last if us part 3 will really swing things back to a great mixture of 1 & 2. I feel Neil really wanted to push the boat out and did sniff his own farts a little but I'm sure he will have been humbled a touch by the feedback and has probably grown as a writer.

Bring back Staley, that would be god tier...but I doubt he'd do it.

Last edited:

Freeza93

Banned
i liked 4 not all chapters but it was good and the ending was perfect happy end.

But by now the shooting feels very outdated.

Camreezie

I wish naughty dog would move on from neil druckmann.

Uncharted was so wrapped up after 4 and Lost Legacy that its reasonable to be handed over to another developer. Theres definitely gonna be a ND Last of Us 3 though , too many unanswered questions

Sequels are over anyway. It's all remakes. What is the point for an established studio to maintain a franchise these days? Also, the TLoU II was a great game but it's not a franchise universe. I did not feel transcendent when I played that game, I felt distinctly cthonic. It's not a positive game loop.

Top Bottom