• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo Turf Masters; the greatest golf game ever...and other epic sports titles that aren't the mainstream

VGEsoterica

You would think "how could the game of golf make one of the best Neo Geo games of all time"...and that would NOT be a weird question to ask. When a legendary console like the Neo Geo is known for amazing fighting games, some legit shmups...and the entire Metal Slug series...how does a GOLF GAME end up on pretty much every single "best Neo Geo games of all time" list?

Well...it's just because its THAT DAMN GOOD! Seriously from start to finish Neo Turf Masters is a straight up joy to play. It takes the concept of golf, enhances basically ever aspect of it and comes out in the end with what I'd say is the greatest golf video game of all time. (not including Lee Carvelo's Putting Challenge of course...but that's really a putting game so....haha)

It seriously should be played by basically anyone who goes anywhere near a Neo Geo. Oh...and Kurt Russell is in it (joking...kind of)

But that got me thinking GAF...what other sports games are THAT good...and not part of the NBA/NHL/MLB/Madden category. Stuff like the NBA Jams and NFL Blitz's of the world

Oh yes, this game is an absolute masterpiece and I play it pretty frequently on my Pi, especially since introducing it to my kids, well my middle son loves it and wants to play it all the time, others not so impressed but that's okay.

Naked Lunch

Neo Turf is completely amazing.
Music gameplay animation.
Pretty sure the Metal Slug team made this? So random and awesome.
The animation of the swing is godlike.
Ive been playing it recently too. Id put the PS2's Hot Shots Golf Fore side by side with it for best golf game.

Big fan of Super Tecmo Bowl, NFL Blitz N64, and Mario Tennis N64. The versions that showed up on later consoles just didnt have the same magic.

Mephisto40

Remember the pub my family used to go to back in the early 90's had an arcade machine of this, great golf game

The Everybody's Golf games are the closest you'll get to it in modern terms

Business

Amazing game, played a ton of the arcade back in the day and on various emulators over the years, even have it on iOS these days.

Baseball Stars 1 & 2 on NES
Also Baseball Stars 2 on the Neo Geo.

Not that I have played a TON of baseball games, but my top picks for baseball would be Baseball Stars 2 (Neo Geo), Little League Baseball: Championship Series (NES), and Ken Griffey Jr. Presents Major League Baseball (SNES).

Little League World Series appears to use the same game engine as a few other baseball games (there is a Koshien game for example that looks nearly identical), so all of those are probably really good too, but I haven't played them yet to try. Actually I think Baseball Stars NES uses the engine too now that I think about it lol. I should check out those Baseball Stars NES games asap...

VGEsoterica

Neo Turf is completely amazing.
Music gameplay animation.
Pretty sure the Metal Slug team made this? So random and awesome.
The animation of the swing is godlike.
Ive been playing it recently too. Id put the PS2's Hot Shots Golf Fore side by side with it for best golf game.

Big fan of Super Tecmo Bowl, NFL Blitz N64, and Mario Tennis N64. The versions that showed up on later consoles just didnt have the same magic.
Yep. Nasca made this and the Slug games (well up through 3 that is) so that’s why this game looks and plays so damn good

Is it called Neo Turf Masters on Switch? Not seeing it on their store.
I'm at work so my detective skills are limited but it might be Big Tournament Golf or something.

One handy thing is you can search by publisher on the Switch store. Find any game put out by Hamster and on the store page click the Hamster link near the top and it'll lead all their NeoGeo games. There's so many that I only buy them when they're on sale. Frequently they drop to $4 a piece.

Topher

Gold Member
I'm at work so my detective skills are limited but it might be Big Tournament Golf or something.

One handy thing is you can search by publisher on the Switch store. Find any game put out by Hamster and on the store page click the Hamster link near the top and it'll lead all their NeoGeo games. There's so many that I only buy them when they're on sale. Frequently they drop to $4 a piece.

Got it. Thanks.

intbal

SRkOlS8.jpg

Lasha

Mario Superstar Baseball is my favorite sports game of all time. The game strikes a perfect balance between reverance for the sport and wacky antics. I also echo the support for windjammers. The game gets so intense if both players know what they are doing.

Topher

Gold Member
Sega really neglects all things “Virtua” these days that isn’t Virtua Fighter

It is too bad too. I can't remember the last time there was a really good tennis game available, outside of the goofy ones like Super Mario Tennis. I loved being able to play as Rod Laver and take on modern players (at the time) like Pete Sampras. Was great fun. I'd be happy with a straight port, but like you say.......Sega.

Reactions: Gp1

VGEsoterica

It is too bad too. I can't remember the last time there was a really good tennis game available, outside of the goofy ones like Super Mario Tennis. I loved being able to play as Rod Laver and take on modern players (at the time) like Pete Sampras. Was great fun. I'd be happy with a straight port, but like you say.......Sega.
Sega WAS the industry leader in arcade games for a long time. Sega is CURRENTLY the industry leader in disappointing their fans

Holammer

Neo Turf Masters is a legend, a local arcade (now long gone) had one of those and the game got so popular the owner had to get a dedicated cabinet for it.
Indie devs should take a close look at Turf Masters and Major Title 2, then do a spiritual pixel art successor to them. It would sell a ton.

Mitsurux

NBA street vol.. 2
Just a great game of arcade basketball, great single player "career" mode, tons of unlockable players (both fake and real). They don't make em like this anymore.

VGEsoterica

NBA street vol.. 2
Just a great game of arcade basketball, great single player "career" mode, tons of unlockable players (both fake and real). They don't make em like this anymore.
I haven’t played that in years but it’s on my shelf somewhere. I’ll have to give it another go

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Remember playing this (or something very close to this) on my big bro's Gameboy when I was a kid. It was in one of those 20 in 1 type of cartridges that used to hold a few weird ones.

Of course it's just a shittier version of the Mega Drive's Tecmo Cup, which is awesome.

VGEsoterica

Remember playing this (or something very close to this) on my big bro's Gameboy when I was a kid. It was in one of those 20 in 1 type of cartridges that used to hold a few weird ones.

Of course it's just a shittier version of the Mega Drive's Tecmo Cup, which is awesome.

Tecmo Bowl is also a legit game for football...or American Football for everyone not in the US :)

Top Bottom