• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF 2.0.0.1 Update: A Space Odyssey

hargwood

Banned
Can't say I enjoy the redesign very much. I don't know exactly what changed but everything is just taking up too much space, especially user posts with all the margin areas/big avatars and big buttons under every post. It's all too distracting and hogging space, I prefer to read reddit now where the screen is used much more efficiently.

Tldr: too much bloat

There's just way too much going on and the colour scheme is complete ass. Why orange, black, light blue and white?

Colour gore and bloat be gone!

Kaby

Banned
I personally like standard Xenforo 2.0 remastered template...

Currently design looks like IPB (Invision Community). Rounded avatars is not cool also...

Last edited:
can we get rid of the gray circle shape animation when you click on the forums in the left hand column please?

on desktop

Last edited:
Hi folks. Since our announcement back in June, the team and I have been hard at work on a comprehensive design overhaul for NeoGAF across both desktop and mobile browsing experiences. Today we're excited to unveil the NeoGAF 2.0.0.1 update (short for 2.0.0.1 Patch Level 9 Release Candidate 56; we've been at it a while). This update focuses on bringing you a polished, modern look, fast rendering and efficient use of screen real estate, intuitive navigation, vastly improved mobile foruming, and will serve as a strong foundation for all the custom features we still have in the pipeline. We've given it a few extra months of beta testing, iteration, and bug squashing to deliver something we're confident you'll begrudgingly tolerate today and probably even enjoy by tomorrow. and made sure to have full parity between your choice of light and dark themes ready for launch.

First, let's blow everything up with some surprise scheduled maintenance, and when we return we'll jump into further detail about the new design and accompanying features, explain how it all works, and open it up to community feedback.

Thanks!

-Tyler
It looks really good, keep up the good work!

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
A toast to the new NeoGAF. I like it. I didn't at first but once I found my Dark Theme, I slowly descended into a forum that looked clean cut and color coded.

I want to applaud the hard work by the Staff. Bravo!
Here's to you.

Nymphae

Banned
To harp on the avatars beside thread names a bit more, it's just dumb to see all the placeholder avatars for people who don't have one. On mobile at least, I can't see their name, so there's just a bunch of threads with colored circles with letters in them at the front.

I say get rid of them entirely, but perhaps something a little more graphical would be appropriate for users who don't select their own avatar. The circular neogaf logo would look better in the circles than just a letter.

Last edited:

hrab

Avatars instead of simple read/unread graphics in the list of topics look bad and messy, and right know I really don't know if there are any new messages or not. It's stupid because avatars give no information at all. The sidebar takes(waste) way too much space, and turning it off prevents you from jumping simply between forums.

When doing changes like that I really wish the first thing to read in a topic like that would be: how to turn it back to the old way.

Edit: And circle avatars suck.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Can we have another, even darker dark theme? OLED screens would save a lot of power that way, if most of the background was total black.

i feel like gaf lost its identity once it went with a google color scheme and the diagonal line background design. feels like it was made with a generic web design business.. busy and toy-like

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
I like it, though the topics having lean bars and tightly squeezed makes it visually too noisy for me. Was it all custom coded or is this a piece of off-the-shelf tech someone can purchase?

I'm asking as I'd like to build a small private forum for a creative community to share and archive all our techniques.

Iwazaru

Neo Member
hurts my eyes

gimme phpbb/xenforo/ipb/mybb/whatever boards i grew up with...

anyway... THANK YOU FOR KEEPIN ADVANCED SEARCH

Iwazaru

Neo Member
My minor disappointment also - you can't open separate post in other window now
You could on old gaf, loved that(

Reminds me of the old Amazon school of "no wasted pixel". Which is bad. I can't scroll down, it's too crowded for me. Checking out topic titles hurts my eyes. The previous look was perfect for me.

I've been missing for few weeks because my laptop had a problem and I'm back with this amazing update.
This theme is absolutely gorgeous, congrats everybody! <3

decisions

After getting used to the update I still mostly like it. However, I miss square profile pictures and prefer the old "sharp" aesthetic the site went for, rather than this "round" one. Also those crayon cylinder things on the front page should be done away with.

This redesign really looks good on mobile, think I'll end preferring the old one for desktop usage though.

Last edited:

Shaqazooloo

Love everything about it except the circle avatars, cuts off Docs feet and coat tail.

Mobile site is a big improvement and is very much appreciated.

Last edited:

sono

Gold Member
I use NeoGAF on PC. The Huge icons and text means that the amount of text on one screen is reduced. On the old site I could see all the popular threads on one page so my time could be spent efficiently, On the new look I have to do a lot more scrolling due to the size of everything. I see in each forum section I can just see 6 threads before I need to start scrolling.

e.g:

capture7zcld.jpg

Last edited:

Bill O'Rights

Seldom posts. Always delivers.
Staff Member
Hey all,

The feedback has been great to see and we're working on the most requested tweaks and enhancements in the background on the dev server. As well as having an eye on 'something else'. Shoutout to Avasarala Avasarala and Palliasso Palliasso

As stated, this new look is purely the foundation. Stylings etc. can all be changed/evolved and this will be a 'living and breathing' project. We don't want to just drop something and then it remains static until we do a new upgrade. We adopt a more Agile or SCRUM based methodology with sprint cycles to deliver clusters of changes at a time. Obviously we have to prioritise bugs->aesthetics->new feature

Introducing a lot of change at any one time increases the likelihood of any issues bleeding into the stable parts of the site. We will be changing and reacting in terms of the look until we're happy (by we - us and you). Those who want the 'old theme' may find themselves disappointed in the short term but we will be emulating the distinctive simple and clean style GAF is know for. There is an element of development and integration that relies on this upgrade. Although it looks like just styling, there are other benefits below the surface that will enable us to deliver more enhancements like Twitch and Giveaways; actually embedded into the site and a part of it. To complement some of the off-the-shelf functionality.

Most people involved in these type of projects know you can either discuss by committee for months and months and move forward slowly eventually still having complaints. Now we have the actual platform in place and foundation to change and update we can do this together over the coming months :)

PS: Avatar changes are in the pipeline and being tested as it seems to be the most requested feature. Doesn't mean it will definitely appear but it's in development and works.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
it's taken some getting used to but i prefer it. forums look so outdated these days and this is a nice fresh approach. i see the other forum is also planning a refresh lmao.

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
My opinions:
-The left hamburguer bar is great for high resolution screens, because it's open by default. For screens with lower resolution, however, where you have to manually click on the hamburguer icon to open it, I'd rather have a shortcut for each forum in the horizontal top bar instead.
- Some things take too much space. In each forum page, for example, the thread columns could be a little bit more compressed.
- Too many colors in the front page. Too many different icons. Take away the arrows, stick to a single color for titles/ sections (either yellow or light blue, not both), and perhaps have the "new" icon have a gray-ish color that makes it stand less (or take it anyways - neogaf moves fast enough for them to be pointless - there's always a new post at every minute).
- Avatars in each thread column is distracting. It takes away from reading, and it places too much importance on the thread creator. To give an interesting example, it's bizarre to go to resetera's thread and see Evilore's avatar attached to it, when they're not affiliated at all. Avatars showing in the thread list page also contribute to color overload.

hrab

I second this.
I find it a bit disturbing.
+1. It looks very bad, like a neat trick from "learn web development in two days' kind of book.
- Avatars in each thread column is distracting. It takes away from reading, and it places too much importance on the thread creator.
I agree and will repeat myself - those avatars took away a useful information (new posts) and in exchange they gave a duplicated information (you could have just as well added a "neat" clock graphic representing the time of the last post, next to the already existing time information). This looks messy and unorganized, completely unnecessary.

Eotheod

Why does everything animate when clicked? Some of it just seems so...over the top. Like clicking anything in the side bar, why does it radiate?
Gotta give it to you Tyler, this place seems way more busy.
That it is not numbers-wise, but the update does make it cleaner to find things. Which also makes it clear content is super lacking when gaming-side had the same avatar creator 4-5 threads in a row.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
To harp on the avatars beside thread names a bit more, it's just dumb to see all the placeholder avatars for people who don't have one. On mobile at least, I can't see their name, so there's just a bunch of threads with colored circles with letters in them at the front.

I say get rid of them entirely, but perhaps something a little more graphical would be appropriate for users who don't select their own avatar. The circular neogaf logo would look better in the circles than just a letter.
I say give them all a default Trump avatar. I guarantee that 99% of then will get off their lazy arse and change it then.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Can I ask a noob question? What’s the little bookmark symbol for above a post? Is that to remember where you are in a thread?

onQ123

Is sending new inbox messages broke or is that just something that's wrong with my inbox? I can receive new messages but when I tried to send one it didn't work.

Fuz

Banned
Ok, here's my last word on this.
First: If it's not broken, don't fix it: There was no need to change something perfect already. At least do what reddit did, and let people use something like old.reddit.com (or opt out in the options)

Now, I tried to adjust to it during this week, but I just can't.
- The forum is slower and clunkier on my first PC and bugged on my second PC (older FF browser).
- The thread list, and I'm not exactly sure why, has become very tiring for my eyes and unpleasant to try to browse. I look at the first ones and instead of keep reading I just close the site because my eyes can't take it. Very, very unpleasant.
- The damend sidebar keep opening itself every damn time I reopen the site. Incredibly annoying.
- The followed thread list has gone from a quickly reachable spot to the annoying sidebar.
- Since I've seen it mentioned: I prefer the square avatars, but I don't mind round ones.

Trying to use the forum during this week, for me, was really unpleasant, annoying and cumbersome.
So.
I'm out. Farewell, and thanks for all the fish.

Last edited:
Can I ask a noob question? What’s the little bookmark symbol for above a post? Is that to remember where you are in a thread?

It's a way you can mark a thread or a specific post for later reference. It's actually a really useful feature. For example, if someone makes a post about some really cool user-made content for Sony's upcoming Dreams game, and you haven't bought the game yet, you'll be able to bookmark that post and then easily find it again later.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
It's a way you can mark a thread or a specific post for later reference. It's actually a really useful feature. For example, if someone makes a post about some really cool user-made content for Sony's upcoming Dreams game, and you haven't bought the game yet, you'll be able to bookmark that post and then easily find it again later.
Thanks. Yeah, that is a really useful feature.

I’m just now getting a feel for the new revision, I still prefer the square avatars though lol

Edit: My god the dark theme is absolutely beautiful with the new colors, good job!

Last edited:
Top Bottom