• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Ban Review/Justice Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 713885

Unconfirmed Member
Whoa! Just got some sick achievements!

Nice! So happy this place is back and kicking ass. Seems everyday I log in its picking up steam with users, post, etc..

Hope anyone with connections to old members shouts them out to come back also!

I’m glad your addressing this and it was really shameful it was allowed to go on. Again major respects to you correcting this inhorrid injustice.

These same people are the ones fear mongering if the right had power look exactly what they do.

Hope anyone with connections to old members shouts them out to come back also!

I have a feeling it'll happen over time organically.

"I wonder what that place is like"
"Oh, it's much better than I remember"

Other places being or not being tire fires may influence things from time to time.. but the people who stay and are valued posters will get here on their own I think.

Ryllix_

This is a really great thread to see. A lot of people got banned due to political opinions, and that always rubbed me the wrong way. I had an account banned as well for not loving Hill
I have a feeling it'll happen over time organically.

"I wonder what that place is like"
"Oh, it's much better than I remember"

Other places being or not being tire fires may influence things from time to time.. but the people who stay and are valued posters will get here on their own I think.
This is exactly what happened to me. I tried the new place. I've realized it is all of the extremists stuff I left gaf because of. I said to myself "I wonder if what's left on gaf is the good part of gaf.". Seems I was right

Evilore I'm actually kind of happy you posted the log of Bish bans. Obviously I believed you had justified reasons to de-mod him after all his years of work for the site but I did want to see exactly what was going on behind that led to it. Seeing what happened now is pretty sad and definitely contributed to making this place the hell hole it was for a period of a couple years. It's great that things have calmed down now and we have a great site for discussion again, thanks for all your efforts and sorry for bouncing back in October. I needed a break from all of this shit but really I should have stuck around and helped contribute to conversation/thread making. Luckily I believe the site only goes up from this point on!

kischine

Wow, I'm part of a new wave of users here, but I've noticed a kind of post-war vibe here, didn't know what it was though. Crazy how people can be irrational in a forum that promotes discussion.

Shouta

I'll "let go" when the rest of the ban reviews are complete, since they're not complete. I'm invigorated recently, as you'll notice if you read the rest of the OP, because of recent findings that a "friend" was actively suppressing moderate voices last October under false pretenses after specifically volunteering to help during the crisis situation. That was far worse and far more malicious than anything Bish did post-election. I forgive Bish. I've known Bish since I was 14 years old. He had his reasons and made mistakes and harmed the site, but I believe the motives he described to me when I confronted him with the truth. It is what it is and we had to part ways. This is not about fomenting a witch hunt against him. It's about cleaning up.

You're interrupting. You're attempting to psychoanalyze someone and you are not up for the task. Stop interrupting and let's get back to business. Thanks.

Damn. =/

usually always avoided OT completely before (i like to use gaf the way i use gamefaqs; just talk about the games I play) and didn't even really know anything was going on until one day GAF was offline

but as someone that assumed a sort of justice-neutrality in keeping gaf strictly- but well-moderated and liked pretty much all the mods evenly because of it, that's pretty disappointing to see.

still kinda crazy how the site imploded on itself at the time. at least on gaming side tho I'm happy a lot social/poli stuff is gone though. nothing wrong with that of course and more power to any forum users that wanna be more about 'game industry in society' and that's great... just me personally, i like my neogaf the same way I like, say, an Anno subreddit or Suikoden gamefaqs haha mostly just about the games.

MayauMiao

I was part of the group (before joining Neogaf and being an outside observer) that wanted to see this forum burn to the ground because of the incredibly biased mods shutting down reasonable discussion for disagreeing with the social justice mob.

What is worse, these bias mods handing out bans didn't even have the nerve to give valid excuse or reason for the bans. They had to resort to using a nameless 'bot' account so not one can call out certain mods responsible for giving out the unfair bans.

Glad to see Neogaf changed it ways now although I am not happy that the drastic change only happened after that nasty shower gate that got all the old mods to leave Neogaf.

greyshark

Reading through the ban log excerpt was sobering. It was crazy seeing GAF devolve so badly leading up to and after the election. Now we see at least some of he reason why. Here's hoping those reasonable voices return after their unfair bans are removed.

bitbydeath

I was banned for victim blaming

Victim blaming is the stupidest reason to ban someone.

Yes sometimes the victims escalate situations and are at fault for what happens to them.

Just because the offender gets the last laugh so to speak should not automatically excuse the ‘victim’ for anything stupid/shitty they had done.

We have darwin awards for a reason.

Last edited:

Spheyr

Banned
Thanks for the account merge, EvilLore.

I caught a permaban in like 2015 for suggesting that maybe both sides contributed to the ongoing drama of GG, which is true of literally any ongoing drama.

(Formerly AranS)

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
I agree, but I also strongly disagree if that makes sense. People like Bish absolutely need to embrace self reflection and have a mirror placed squarely in front of them. People like him/her have pushed away voters like me, who voted for Obama.

It's never good to keep bringing up past events, certainly not ones that may have affected one directly, but the insane polarization that has unfolded in the left, where it has become extreme, needs to have light shed on it. I've always considered myself a moderate Democrat, or moderate Republican. Sitting in the center isle taking what I believe is the best from both parties.
Certainly, but atleast the best that can come out of this is that reasonable posters return for a re-run. I am well aware that moderation on OldGAF was... tricky, to put it lightly. From copy-paste reasoning to staff actively holding tabs on who they want to ban (And others getting more bans/unbans than others), its exactly why it is so obvious to spot in the way some of The Names on ERA are heading towards to.

Its literally the same sort of tactic that is employed. Shunning discussion in favor of a singular opinion. You gotta adhere to that, or else. It more and more becomes strange that not more ERA members are raising a stink because of it.
Well, probably they dislike it aswell (the majority atleast) but since every transparent discussion on this gets squashed by those same Names, it does not take much to believe that transparency as ERA sees it as little to do with actual transparency.
Not so sure what the American politics has to do with it though :p

Asking questions in an attempt to understand or learn should be rewarded with civil, and educated discussion, not a ban. This type of attitude spills over into every day life with speakers at university's around the nation getting shouted down.

This thread is a great way for rational people to get an inside look into the mind of someone who purely wants to silence those who have a different outlook/opinion. This is what an unchecked echo chamber can, and will create.
Do note that it was not only Bish. But yeah, it goes to show what one does when you are presented with far-reaching moderation powers and you only have to adhere to one man (Evilore) who can't always be around for GAF (Due to business/travel/gaming/everything else). It is, in a way, a contract of trust.

Trust that Bish clearly broke, and a contract that also exists on ERA with some of The Names. I reckon that Cerium is totally not up to snuff with how his forum is run on a day by day basis, and i reckon he will be in for a big surprise when the place implodes. Which i find geniunely saddening as i reckon Cerium is doing a ton behind the scenes to make ERA a modern website. To have ruined by a small group of staff running ablaze... in that sense Evilore's view is certainly not a unhealthy one (especially when you know the guy who did this to you since age 14.)

I propose Evilore writes a book on this matter: In this Gaming Age: How an Echo Chamber is Created, Manifested, and Cultivated, Beyond Your Control.

I would buy that in a heartbeat, a standard work on forum powers and what not.

I know. When Bish would enter a thread, the whole tone of said thread would change. People would post trilling water in glass.gif or cinematic shot of walking feet with hammer.mp4 to warn users. If you think about it, it is laughable. Complete user groups being scared online of a staff member. That's when you know that you arent moderating in style and in a neutral fashion, but that one moderates based on feelings, emotions, hottakes.

Similar things are happening on ERA, whenever SweetNicole posts a mod warning or Morrigan comes along, you better tread lightly. It is a ridicoulous statement to make, but that is the culture on ERA in some of the more sensitive topics.

Woffls

Reading all the things people got banned for is certainly... enlightening. Very much in favour of getting people back if they were banned for saying reasonable things from the "wrong" side of a discussion. Lots of respect for making the effort.

I'll be pretty salty if my temp ban stops me getting an achievement though. Something to do with not caring about Uncharted 2's MP because Halo's was better? Hmph.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Mods editing posts entirely might as well delete the post if it triggers them that much. For the most part mods aren't needed imo, as long as nobody posts anything too extreme posts should not be edited by others.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kadayi

Banned
I saw 31 new alerts and first thought that I must have said something really dumb to get that many alerts, lol.

I had about 26 and figured the Cyberpunk 2077 thread had got super busy and that maybe CDP had released the demo footage....I'll settle for some achievements though

level1

It's great to see this level of transparency - makes me hopeful for the future of the forum.
Still, the amount of fuckery that was going on is pretty crazy, though from what I've seen the new mod team has been doing a good job

nkarafo

Thanks for this Evilore. I sent an e-mail about my banned account. I got a perma ban because i tried to calm the waters and stupidly defend Pewdiepie for one of his dumb mistakes. Dunno, i probably deserved a ban, i'm not going to argue. And it was a temp ban at first but then it changed to a perma midway through. I thought that was a bit harsh...

Last edited:

Liberty4all

Banned
Thanks for the account merge, EvilLore.

I caught a permaban in like 2015 for suggesting that maybe both sides contributed to the ongoing drama of GG, which is true of literally any ongoing drama.

(Formerly AranS)

OH man I remember you! Good to see old faces back!

Arkage

Banned
My old account was Arkage. I was banned during the gamergate hysteria because I said that the Leigh Alexander article was overly inflammatory and likely to do more damage dividing people, and I said members asking questions in the GG threads are probably legitimate rather than intentional trolls. If I could get my old account back (and merge this one into that one) that'd be cool, as I liked that username better. Though I don't remember the password on it anymore, and it probably has a no longer functioning email address attached to it for password reseting.

And as I just went through a pretty similar banning situation on Resetera, I think I'm going to take up this forum again as the mods here are legit.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Hey everyone. :goog_giggle:

My old account was Arkage. I was banned during the gamergate hysteria because I said that the Leigh Alexander article was overly inflammatory and likely to do more damage dividing people, and I said members asking questions in the GG threads are probably legitimate rather than intentional trolls. If I could get my old account back (and merge this one into that one) that'd be cool, as I liked that username better. Though I don't remember the password on it anymore, and it probably has a no longer functioning email address attached to it for password reseting.

And as I just went through a pretty similar banning situation on Resetera, I think I'm going to take up this forum again as the mods here are legit.

Easy peasy. Original ban reviewed and reversed, accounts merged, username updated to preferred of the two. Should retain your current password and login cookie.

Certainly, but atleast the best that can come out of this is that reasonable posters return for a re-run. I am well aware that moderation on OldGAF was... tricky, to put it lightly. From copy-paste reasoning to staff actively holding tabs on who they want to ban (And others getting more bans/unbans than others), its exactly why it is so obvious to spot in the way some of The Names on ERA are heading towards to.

Its literally the same sort of tactic that is employed. Shunning discussion in favor of a singular opinion. You gotta adhere to that, or else. It more and more becomes strange that not more ERA members are raising a stink because of it.
Well, probably they dislike it aswell (the majority atleast) but since every transparent discussion on this gets squashed by those same Names, it does not take much to believe that transparency as ERA sees it as little to do with actual transparency.
Not so sure what the American politics has to do with it though :p

Do note that it was not only Bish. But yeah, it goes to show what one does when you are presented with far-reaching moderation powers and you only have to adhere to one man (Evilore) who can't always be around for GAF (Due to business/travel/gaming/everything else). It is, in a way, a contract of trust.

Trust that Bish clearly broke, and a contract that also exists on ERA with some of The Names. I reckon that Cerium is totally not up to snuff with how his forum is run on a day by day basis, and i reckon he will be in for a big surprise when the place implodes. Which i find geniunely saddening as i reckon Cerium is doing a ton behind the scenes to make ERA a modern website. To have ruined by a small group of staff running ablaze... in that sense Evilore's view is certainly not a unhealthy one (especially when you know the guy who did this to you since age 14.)

I propose Evilore writes a book on this matter: In this Gaming Age: How an Echo Chamber is Created, Manifested, and Cultivated, Beyond Your Control.

I would buy that in a heartbeat, a standard work on forum powers and what not.

I know. When Bish would enter a thread, the whole tone of said thread would change. People would post trilling water in glass.gif or cinematic shot of walking feet with hammer.mp4 to warn users. If you think about it, it is laughable. Complete user groups being scared online of a staff member. That's when you know that you arent moderating in style and in a neutral fashion, but that one moderates based on feelings, emotions, hottakes.

Similar things are happening on ERA, whenever SweetNicole posts a mod warning or Morrigan comes along, you better tread lightly. It is a ridicoulous statement to make, but that is the culture on ERA in some of the more sensitive topics.

I disagree on Bish. He was popular. Like, a GAF celebrity. He was celebrated.

PPL don't make .gifs of someone who is loathed.

When SweetNicole and her posse shows up, discussion ends, and unless you post one way, the bans begin.

But we already have a thread on Era. Let's keep it contained there.

Got my account back yesterday after a PM with evilore. My ban was caught up in the crazy ban list but he took care of it.

Thanks!

I disagree on Bish. He was popular. Like, a GAF celebrity. He was celebrated.

PPL don't make .gifs of someone who is loathed.

When SweetNicole and her posse shows up, discussion ends, and unless you post one way, the bans begin.

But we already have a thread on Era. Let's keep it contained there.

He was popular to the people who mobilized him to ban who they wanted. They took that to a level of almost odd worship, with Gifs and constant praise when he would come save them from posters who offended them or had an opinion they didn’t like.

He was not popular to people who wanted to have a real conversation. It was obvious when a topic was about to be purged of the “wrong” people and turned into an echo chamber.

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
Mods editing posts entirely might as well delete the post if it triggers them that much. For the most part mods aren't needed imo, as long as nobody posts anything too extreme posts should not be edited by others.

You gotta let that Grimes thing go, whataburger. It was an odd thing to post tbh ... I didn't get it. The mod edit was kinda harmless.

He was popular to the people who mobilized him to ban who they wanted. They took that to a level of almost odd worship, with Gifs and constant praise when he would come save them from posters who offended them or had an opinion they didn’t like.

He was not popular to people who wanted to have a real conversation. It was obvious when a topic was about to be purged of the “wrong” people and turned into an echo chamber.

I've never met anyone who was glad to be banned.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Great post.
I can every close to being perma’d for my Bernie support. Glad to see public facing recognition of the issues on the old forum and the actions being taken to rebuild.

nkarafo

Just got your mail response Tyler, thanks for lifting the ban on my other account (Mousnis). Could you merge it with this one and keep nkarafo as my only account? I also replied on the email about this.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Just got your mail response Tyler, thanks for lifting the ban on my other account (Mousnis). Could you merge it with this one and keep nkarafo as my only account? I also replied on the email about this.

No prob, and your post here makes ID confirmation of the two accounts straightforward. Merger complete and you should be all set.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
How about everyone that was affected by the many agenda based honeypot threads with the intent on getting people banned? Lime made nothing but those and caused account graveyards with help from Bish. I'm sure most people will agree.
1479166924982.jpg

It's ridiculous how much he got away with and I hope this place can avoid such things again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom