• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Ban Review/Justice Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piku_Ringo

Banned
All you guys arguing, getting banned (self requested or by mod), and getting into personal squabbles should join us in the Stock thread. Lots of good tips and most of us making profit.

Make money, not hate.

I wish i did understand even a fraction of how this shit works or what is being said in the thread to make some monaaaay with it!!

Last edited:
video
games
38f.png

Punished Miku

Gold Member
The main thing I called out here for a while, and got heavily criticized for, was that there was a core group of celebrity posters who felt they were better than everyone else and above the rules. I've been on this site for a while, and whenever I see that, it's always a problem eventually. It's the inverse of what a lot of people tend to think, that a few well-known and "important" posters are "holding the site together." In reality, those are usually the ones that bring everything down and either became mods in the past and were terrible, or were at the very least treated with kid gloves constantly because they convinced everyone they're better than the average person and deserve special treatment. That's usually when things go downhill, when the rules aren't enforced impartially and equally towards everyone.

Only thing I'd add is that personally, I'm a fan of taking all available options before a permanent ban. Some perms seem a little fast, but I haven't been following it all that closely. Even with some of these requested bans, it's often just a heated moment in my opinion. I requested a ban lots of times and you guys just let me cool off, which I ended up appreciating. Just a thought. I like a lot of the posters that have left, and hope they calm down and feel like coming back someday. I've lost my temper before, and sometimes it takes a little time to think through things or just let time pass.

There are some posters on here I'd consider friends. But I also try to not get that attached to people, to the point where I would feel like I'm in some kind of secret club of cool people. The bottom line is most of us are entirely anonymous, and don't know each other that well. A lot of people on here play exaggerated characters, and don't act like themselves - for fun. Everyone should try to treat everyone like they're in the club equally to avoid the creation of celebrity posters. It helps avoid the erosion of impartial enforcement of the rules, and it means you're likely to interact with cool new people you've probably never talked to if you give everyone a chance instead of looking down on new posters. I've always tried to do that, and in the past have gone to bat for people I don't know at all on here for that reason.

Last edited:

O-N-E

Idk why he'd bitch about a certain member (u) when the worst member on gaf, the mod/mista asslicker has been around for a quite a while. Constantly stalking meta gaf and genuinely being a twat that lies about everything and just screaming for constant attention like his life depended on it. But then again lying comes natural to some of you guys so eh. Comment still stands though, Bar, do not be so trusting of your friends. They thrive on hatred and autism. Not a good combo!

edit : forgot a few words :)

No-one except trolls and alts like Packer, but at least someone does.

Can't say the same for Gaming Dude. A fine candidate for Bar's ire.

ExpandKong

Banned
BTW now that I'm back, I was banned from Politics. Just to put it out there for some transparency.

Never said anything radical.

They probably changed the definition of radical while we were gone. They do love changing definitions.

I get why the new rules about what we’re now being told to call “conspiracy theories” are in place, EviLore EviLore . When advertisers start getting jumpy, you’ve got to take steps to protect your revenue stream. Can’t really fault you for that.

Further considering advertiser pressure, I also can’t really fault you for the millions of posts that evaporated from all across the site around the same time the new rules went into effect, first noticed by Falcs here (the “something something database mystery” explanation offered by ThatGamingDude ThatGamingDude is dubious at best, especially in light of the timing, and the subject was quickly swept under the rug).

What I can’t abide is hypocrisy. I don’t tolerate it IRL, and I won’t tolerate it elsewhere. And when the rule, as it’s written, by you, states that:
...we'll no longer be tolerating fringe content or conspiracy theories on the Politics forum. It could previously be looked at as fun and games, but now there's no way to justify its presence here in any quantity

...only for you to, days later, not only allow this thread, but also write up a lengthy post of your own in its defense in spite of its unverifiable nature (your exact words in your summary were “we can’t directly verify that alleged KBB activity in 1987, but…” and if something is unverifiable, what else is it but a theory?), it starts to paint a certain picture.

And then for you to go scorched earth and start dishing out perms like Biden’s dishing out executive orders, that picture starts to take shape.

Meanwhile you’ve got notable dipshits like
BadBurger BadBurger and Tschumi Tschumi in the ban thread effectively dancing on the graves of longtime members (people who contributed a lot to the community outside of political hot takes), and SF Kosmo SF Kosmo creating what’s clearly a honeypot thread meant to bait more bans (his defense of the subject of his conspiracy theory thread, which he was gifted gold for, was nothing more than an appeal to authority) – another conspiracy theory thread left unscathed by the new rule, a thread whose subject and creator both fall squarely and unquestionably on the left end of the political spectrum.

Whether it was intentional on the staff’s part or not, the perception exists now that a certain group or type of people are no longer welcome here. And that’s not just my perception – just look at how many recent bans were self-requested, or check out some of the formerly active members who logged out back in mid-to-late January and haven’t been back. The people remaining here have noticed too; you’re seeing more posts asking where so-and-so person has been lately pop up in the metaGAF thread and elsewhere.

The obvious counterpoint to this is “hello, it’s a gaming forum, why are you even taking the Politics board so seriously?” Which is a good question. One that you might consider asking people like Nobody_Important Nobody_Important , SF Kosmo SF Kosmo , BadBurger BadBurger , and any of the others who have posted almost exclusively in the Politics board since the moment they hit Member status. Why did they come to a videogame forum strictly to preach their politics? Most of them in the months leading up to the election?

Why are they here?

Anyway, I’m logging out again. I was glad to join GAF back when all the crazies left, but now it’s Current Year. Crazy will seep into any crack it can find in a foundation, freeze up and crystallize, and destroy what you’ve built on top. But you know that already.

I’m not gonna request a ban, but I probably won’t be back either. Hope this all works out for you, Tyler.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
They probably changed the definition of radical while we were gone. They do love changing definitions.

I get why the new rules about what we’re now being told to call “conspiracy theories” are in place, EviLore EviLore . When advertisers start getting jumpy, you’ve got to take steps to protect your revenue stream. Can’t really fault you for that.

Further considering advertiser pressure, I also can’t really fault you for the millions of posts that evaporated from all across the site around the same time the new rules went into effect, first noticed by Falcs here (the “something something database mystery” explanation offered by ThatGamingDude ThatGamingDude is dubious at best, especially in light of the timing, and the subject was quickly swept under the rug).

What I can’t abide is hypocrisy. I don’t tolerate it IRL, and I won’t tolerate it elsewhere. And when the rule, as it’s written, by you, states that:

...only for you to, days later, not only allow this thread, but also write up a lengthy post of your own in its defense in spite of its unverifiable nature (your exact words in your summary were “we can’t directly verify that alleged KBB activity in 1987, but…” and if something is unverifiable, what else is it but a theory?), it starts to paint a certain picture.

And then for you to go scorched earth and start dishing out perms like Biden’s dishing out executive orders, that picture starts to take shape.

BadBurger BadBurger and Tschumi Tschumi in the ban thread effectively dancing on the graves of longtime members (people who contributed a lot to the community outside of political hot takes), and SF Kosmo SF Kosmo creating what’s clearly a honeypot thread meant to bait more bans (his defense of the subject of his conspiracy theory thread, which he was gifted gold for, was nothing more than an appeal to authority) – another conspiracy theory thread left unscathed by the new rule, a thread whose subject and creator both fall squarely and unquestionably on the left end of the political spectrum.

Whether it was intentional on the staff’s part or not, the perception exists now that a certain group or type of people are no longer welcome here. And that’s not just my perception – just look at how many recent bans were self-requested, or check out some of the formerly active members who logged out back in mid-to-late January and haven’t been back. The people remaining here have noticed too; you’re seeing more posts asking where so-and-so person has been lately pop up in the metaGAF thread and elsewhere.

The obvious counterpoint to this is “hello, it’s a gaming forum, why are you even taking the Politics board so seriously?” Which is a good question. One that you might consider asking people like Nobody_Important Nobody_Important , SF Kosmo SF Kosmo , BadBurger BadBurger , and any of the others who have posted almost exclusively in the Politics board since the moment they hit Member status. Why did they come to a videogame forum strictly to preach their politics? Most of them in the months leading up to the election?

Why are they here?

Anyway, I’m logging out again. I was glad to join GAF back when all the crazies left, but now it’s Current Year. Crazy will seep into any crack it can find in a foundation, freeze up and crystallize, and destroy what you’ve built on top. But you know that already.

I’m not gonna request a ban, but I probably won’t be back either. Hope this all works out for you, Tyler.
No one was banned for anything posted in my thread, man. We can't ban discussion of every news story just because you have a beef with the media as a whole.

It's weird to see you ask why I take this sort of thing so seriously, because the fact is, I clearly don't, I'm here to have fun, go back and forth, and crack jokes. I have never wanted anyone banned, I have stood up for some of those that were. I don't get my feelings hurt by this. I like it here, I like the posters here, even the people on the other side.

So if you're not having fun, then yeah, why bother? I don't want to see you go, but you gotta do what's good for you.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion

Why are they here?

I've addressed why I mainly post in the politics section nearly a dozen times now it feels like. A person does not need to meet a certain posting requirement in all sections to be considered a member of the forum.

I get that you are upset, but don't just lash out.

Last edited:
But you aren't saying that of anyone else reacting to that post.

bruh GIF
Because you were the only one who replied to him after he was banned.

Nothing wrong with asking why a user is banned or saying you're sad to see them go and wish them well. They know the users departing and are being respectful, even if the user leaving is overreacting or being rude.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
SF Kosmo SF Kosmo

He didn’t have a beef with the media. He had a beef with what he thought was blatant hypocrisy. The whole banocalypse started again because of that thread, after a brief period of calm. Most guys who got banned were irked by that.
We then have to ask ourselves - was their irkedness justified?

If yes or no, was their follow up behavior an acceptable expression of that irkedness?

ManofOne

Plus Member
We then have to ask ourselves - was their irkedness justified?

If yes or no, was their follow up behavior an acceptable expression of that irkedness?

Justification is a matter of perspective. When @Ornulu got banned. I said the same thing ExpandKong ExpandKong was saying, the perception is there. You or others may not be able to related it b/c your ideology may not fit on that spectrum being targeted.

SF Kosmo

SF Kosmo SF Kosmo

He didn’t have a beef with the media. He had a beef with what he thought was blatant hypocrisy. The whole banocalypse started again because of that thread, after a brief period of calm. Most guys who got banned were irked by that.

The argument that it was hypocritical was essentially "I don't trust any story that relies on anonymous sources, so even though this meeting is known to have happened, I see no difference between this and a conspiracy theory."

I'm sorry but that's silly. Even if the story details were false there is a difference between a bad reporting and a conspiracy theory that is clear enough that it shouldn't create a tremendous amount of confusion.

ManofOne

Plus Member
The argument that it was hypocritical was essentially "I don't trust any story that relies on anonymous sources, so even though this meeting is known to have happened, I see no difference between this and a conspiracy theory."

I'm sorry but that's silly. Even if the story details were false there is a difference between a bad reporting and a conspiracy theory that is clear enough that it shouldn't create a tremendous amount of confusion.

So stories about Trump being a 40 year old Winter Solider does not seem conspiratorial to you ? When that story passed your litmus test did you bother to check what the larger intelligence community had to say? Also how other members would react given the sensitivity of the topic?

This conspiracy thing is being weaponized against members. Look today, I corrected a user about the bomb planter being a Trump Supporter only to have me being a supposed conspiracy theorist being tossed back into my face.

Its being used to bait FANTASTIC contributors, in order to get them banned or atleast build a perception, that makes them feel unwanted despite them not adhering to conspiratorial philosophies.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

So stories about Trump being a 40 year old Winter Solider does not seem conspiratorial to you ? When that story passed your litmus test did you bother to check what the larger intelligence community had to say? Also how other members would react given the sensitivity of the topic?
I didn't make that thread, and that isn't the threat ExpandKong was talking about. My thread was just about Trump taking a meeting with Powell and Flynn where they pressed him on invoking the insurrection act. The meeting was on his schedule, widely reported, they called for these things publicly on twitter, and Giuliani also made calls about it to the Deputy head of DHS who confirmed. It should not have been controversial in the slightest beyond people who take a "All MSM is Fake News" stance. Sorry, that's not a honeypot and that's not a conspiracy.

ManofOne

Plus Member
I didn't make that thread, and that isn't the threat ExpandKong was talking about. My thread was just about Trump taking a meeting with Powell and Flynn where they pressed him on invoking the insurrection act. The meeting was on his schedule, widely reported, they called for these things publicly on twitter, and Giuliani also made calls about it to the Deputy head of DHS who confirmed. It should not have been controversial in the slightest beyond people who take a "All MSM is Fake News" stance. Sorry, that's not a honeypot and that's not a conspiracy.

Apologies, I checked, I confused you for Swamp.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Justification is a matter of perspective. When @Ornulu got banned. I said the same thing ExpandKong ExpandKong was saying, the perception is there. You or others may not be able to related it b/c your ideology may not fit on that spectrum being targeted.
The perception was there, but that doesn't necessarily make it justified. As that old saying goes, facts don't care about your feelings.

I don't subscribe to any particular ideology, and I speak my mind freely. I was pushing back on Russian collusion as early as 2015.

Regardless of how the users felt, what's left to be done if they refuse to comply with a few reasonable requests in order to keep the site alive?

ManofOne

Plus Member
The perception was there, but that doesn't necessarily make it justified. As that old saying goes, facts don't care about your feelings.

I don't subscribe to any particular ideology, and I speak my mind freely. I was pushing back on Russian collusion as early as 2015.

Regardless of how the users felt, what's left to be done if they refuse to comply with a few reasonable requests in order to keep the site alive?

I’m not saying we should allow political conspiracy theories, they’re dangerous and shouldn’t be allowed but I’m saying that I understand where those guys were coming from and how irked they felt in what they saw as a hypocritical stance, in the Trump / Winter Soilder thread ( which obviously isn’t fact).

That thread to me, reignited that feeling being targeted and suppressed and sadly it won’t be the end of it. I expect to see more of those threads along those lines in the future and possibly more bans thereafter.

belmarduk

I’m not saying we should allow political conspiracy theories, they’re dangerous and shouldn’t be allowed but I’m saying that I understand where those guys were coming from and how irked they felt in what they saw as a hypocritical stance, in the Trump / Winter Soilder thread ( which obviously isn’t fact).

That thread to me, reignited that feeling being targeted and suppressed and sadly it won’t be the end of it. I expect to see more of those threads along those lines in the future and possibly more bans thereafter.

Do you have a link for this Winter Soldier thread?

Papa

Banned
The main thing I called out here for a while, and got heavily criticized for, was that there was a core group of celebrity posters who felt they were better than everyone else and above the rules. I've been on this site for a while, and whenever I see that, it's always a problem eventually. It's the inverse of what a lot of people tend to think, that a few well-known and "important" posters are "holding the site together." In reality, those are usually the ones that bring everything down and either became mods in the past and were terrible, or were at the very least treated with kid gloves constantly because they convinced everyone they're better than the average person and deserve special treatment. That's usually when things go downhill, when the rules aren't enforced impartially and equally towards everyone.

Only thing I'd add is that personally, I'm a fan of taking all available options before a permanent ban. Some perms seem a little fast, but I haven't been following it all that closely. Even with some of these requested bans, it's often just a heated moment in my opinion. I requested a ban lots of times and you guys just let me cool off, which I ended up appreciating. Just a thought. I like a lot of the posters that have left, and hope they calm down and feel like coming back someday. I've lost my temper before, and sometimes it takes a little time to think through things or just let time pass.

There are some posters on here I'd consider friends. But I also try to not get that attached to people, to the point where I would feel like I'm in some kind of secret club of cool people. The bottom line is most of us are entirely anonymous, and don't know each other that well. A lot of people on here play exaggerated characters, and don't act like themselves - for fun. Everyone should try to treat everyone like they're in the club equally to avoid the creation of celebrity posters. It helps avoid the erosion of impartial enforcement of the rules, and it means you're likely to interact with cool new people you've probably never talked to if you give everyone a chance instead of looking down on new posters. I've always tried to do that, and in the past have gone to bat for people I don't know at all on here for that reason.

Rent free

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom