• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Design Contest...WE BACK, BABY!!!

S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
Just a couple quick designs
Why not Nintendo at the top?
so that the edges progressively shorten to the middle, then out again. Like a pac-man mouth.
Or a bit more tweaking to make it like the NeoGAF logo? Maybe in outline around it??

Am i making any sense?

Codes 208

Why not Nintendo at the top?
so that the edges progressively shorten to the middle, then out again. Like a pac-man mouth.
Or a bit more tweaking to make it like the NeoGAF logo? Maybe in outline around it??

Am i making any sense?
I see what you’re saying but that wasn’t my direction. The titles weren’t meant to represent gaf as a whole but to look like they’re rotating and are interchangeable like Nintendogaf, sonygaf, pcgaf, Xboxgaf, etc.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
73sb3Kz.png

7Pnoa8w.png

s677VBX.png

Nymphae

Banned
This is amazing.

It should be Gaf looking out into the horizon contentedly, the past behind us, with Restetera in the background doing it's thing, though as is it does reflect the current situation of Restera being in the forefront, outraged, as we sit in the back contentedly laughing at their hysterics.

DylanSchaw

Banned
3qKwjC6.jpg

Calling all creators! It's been years since we've last spoken, but the summoning gongs have been struck and the signal fires lit... it's time for another Design Contest!

We're extremely happy with how the latest site updates have been received and the community we're all rebuilding together. The original T-Shirt Contest is something we loved, as we have some insanely talented creators who post here regularly and the designs that have been submitted in the past were just so much more than we could have ever anticipated. All of us on the staff are insanely excited to see what guys come up with.

Store Details

We've partnered with Threadless this time for our production, and your design will be available in a wide variety of products...from clothing to phone cases to art prints!

The site where we'll host all of the winning entries can be found here: https://neogaf.threadless.com/

If you're looking for some inspiration, you can also see some of the classic designs posted up there as well.

Contest Details
  • Submissions can be made from now until 5/31, 11:59PM EDT
  • At the close of the the entry window, we will open a voting thread so the community can pick their favorites
  • Top 10 submissions will WIN STUFF!!!
Prizes!!!
  • Each of the creators who have a design voted into the Top 10 will receive a $50 (USD) gift code to the Threadless.com store as well as one month of GAFGold (limit 1 per creator)
  • The top design creator will receive a $100 (USD) gift code to the Threadless.com store, one full year of GAFGold, and special banner tag (like the staff having "Staff Member" below their normal tag)
  • Should a creator get multiple top 10 entries selected, prizes will be given out to 11th place, 12th place, etc so a total of 10 prizes are distributed
Submission Guidelines
  • Design should be NeoGAF themed or referential
  • Fitted canvas size for all submissions needs to be 4000x4000 pixels
  • Background must be transparent (unless your design is specifically made otherwise)
  • File type must be PNG, PSD or EPS
  • The design must not infringe any copyrights, and must be an original piece of work
  • Please PM EviLore EviLore directly with a link to your file with the subject: "GAF Design Contest"
  • By submitting your design for this contest, you are agreeing to transfer ownership of that design to NeoGAF
The font used for our official logo is "Poppins" for anyone who wants a true 1:1 recreation for their design.
I will try, thanks for invite)

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Looking forward to some new stuff. Almost all of my old shirts have small holes in them now, the quality was pretty low.

A couple of the ones I liked from last time aren’t on threadless.

Can I request the airplane flying towards the NeoGAF logo be added back? There’s also that “8 bit game montage” that I liked. (I understand that some people who made those probably don’t want their stuff added again)

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Looking forward to some new stuff. Almost all of my old shirts have small holes in them now, the quality was pretty low.

A couple of the ones I liked from last time aren’t on threadless.

Can I request the airplane flying towards the NeoGAF logo be added back? There’s also that “8 bit game montage” that I liked. (I understand that some people who made those probably don’t want their stuff added again)

Here you go:

https://neogaf.threadless.com/designs/jocchan
https://neogaf.threadless.com/designs/cluto

Kadayi

Banned
Don't recall which thread originated it, but it's a long-standing GAF meme where people would post an airplane sunset image in response to certain appealing news stories, e.g.:

"Japan Announces Critical Shortage of Men for Breeding"

1vzb0W9.jpg

Yeah I recall the theme. I just wondered if you knew the original source.

Tapioca

Banned
Are contests ever allowed? I'm a graphic designer and I found this contest very enjoyable. Not always about the money.

Sure they are allowed, no one is stopping anyone from entering. I just think that spec work is lame for a forum of this size. You really shouldn't be for it either, as a graphic designer. You'd never really hear any other sort of professional saying their work isn't about money unless they are volunteering for a charity or such. You're undervaluing yourself because you just happen to like what you do. A plumber is never going to unclog your pipes for free unless perhaps you know them, and even then most people would pay them something for their time.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
You really shouldn't be for it either, as a graphic designer. You'd never really hear any other sort of professional saying their work isn't about money unless they are volunteering for a charity or such. You're undervaluing yourself because you just happen to like what you do.

I've heard these arguments and I just don't care about "devaluing myself" I guess. I have a job and do this shit on the side for fun, which it is.

They're not asking for a logo redesign, or site design work, or other things I could potentially see someone actually being hired for. It's a community T-Shirt design contest dude. Do I think Evilore is going to be making bank or a name off of these designs? Hardly, it's for the community man.

A plumber is never going to unclog your pipes for free unless perhaps you know them, and even then most people would pay them something for their time.

Winners are compensated here.

Last edited:

Tapioca

Banned
I've heard these arguments and I just don't care about "devaluing myself" I guess. I have a job and do this shit on the side for fun, which it is.

They're not asking for a logo redesign, or site design work, or other things I could potentially see someone actually being hired for. It's a community T-Shirt design contest dude.

Winners are compensated here.

1. Threadless has partnered with Neogaf, I assume that Neogaf was given the codes for free. Even if this is not the case, it doesn't matter because see #2.
2. They aren't even going to be compensated with real money.
3. Only the winners are compensated, which means the majority (if that many entries are gathered) will get nothing.

It doesn't matter if it is a logo or not. 99.9% of T-shirt designs are made by people that were paid for their work. I don't understand how you think most clothing is made. Do you think people just make it in their spare time and give their work to corporations for free?

Do I think Evilore is going to be making bank or a name off of these designs? Hardly, it's for the community man.

It's not a community T-shirt design contest, it is a business T-shirt design contest. Neogaf is a business. Threadless works like cafepress. They handle everything and then give you a % of the sale. People don't sell merchandise "for the community". They sell it to make money. I don't expect him to make millions off the shirts but every sale is pure profit due to using threadless and free art.

It's also highly questionable that the rules do not state that the file needs to be at least 300 dpi. How are you going to print something at a low resolution and have it come out right? Even if it is 4000x4000 at 72 dpi, the pixel density is just not there. It would come out printed much worse quality than a properly sized image. Threadless themselves state to have the your images be at least 300 dpi. People who aren't in the print or design industry generally do not know this and will create their files at a default size, which is 72 dpi.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
-We’re not receiving codes for free from Threadless, this is out of pocket
-NeoGAF has made a grand total of $0 lifetime on merch. The new merch store is set up with modest margins so that gaffers have an alternative way of supporting the continued existence of the site.
-NeoGAF is an independent, community-run website, not a faceless corporation

If you don't approve, don't participate.

Nymphae

Banned
Yeah you probably should have the DPI requirements in the OP, hell even supplying a blank template .PSD at the correct size would be great for those not knowledgeable about print.

Tapioca Tapioca I couldn't care less that winners aren't being compensated with cash. I would participate even if there was no prize, because I enjoy doing this in my free time, it's a fun project for me. I don't understand this mentality that you have, it's like, according to you I can never again just fuck around with my skills to have fun, it's always gotta be on the clock or I'm ripping myself off and devaluing my profession. Like get real, I don't make decisions with the print industry in mind or other graphic designers salaries in mind, it's a fun side project I'm doing for the people in the community I'm part of and I do not believe a lot of money will be made on these shirts.

Last edited:

Corderlain

Banned
I'm commenting here because I can't locate the other neogaf design and bug reports thread. I'm on a pixel 2. Browsing on mobile has become horrifically slow with some serious slow downs and freezes that only happen on this site. It's not a history or cache issue. Hoping this can be pinpointed and resolved. Going on two or three weeks at this point.

Keylime

Spoiler Tag Abuser
Moving this thread to the OT for a little so all of you fine humans can get your paws on it (in case anyone hasn't noticed the sticky).

Top Bottom