• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Design Contest...WE BACK, BABY!!!

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
proposaldesign.png

Nymphae

Banned
Thanks, it is 1280x371. Is that going to be good enough? The template is 4200 x 4800 pixels @ 300 dpi. Also is the link to the template working for you? I cant get it working.

It's an SVG file which you can open in a vector program and scale to whatever size you want.

The template link does work for me, it's a direct download of a .PSD file.

I would say visit this link here

the pictures there of the canvas size and how that translates to the shirt helped me more than the template file, which is weirdly set up in my opinion, you can just set the thing up yourself pretty easily.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Bit of a work in progress, but I'd figured I'd share. I'm a big fan of The Designers Republic (R.I.P) who did the Wipeout Logos so this is a bit of homage to the Feisar Logo . I'm not entirely sure about the letter's overall in terms of legibility (E & G especially) but I do have some alternatives. Feedback is appreciated.

wIDSjtC.jpg

Last edited:
Bit of a work in progress, but I'd figured I'd share. I'm a big fan of The Designers Republic (R.I.P) who did the Wipeout Logos so this is a bit of homage to the Feisar Logo . I'm not entirely sure about the letter's overall in terms of legibility (E & G especially) but I do have some alternatives. Feedback is appreciated.

p.jpeg

Sweet looks nice

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned

p.jpeg

I can't see anything? No link, image, or video is visible to me

Last edited:

Keylime

Spoiler Tag Abuser
Kadayi Kadayi

I dig the alt-font you're going for in there. The only snobby design critique I'd make is that with the block-style lettering, it'd be pretty cool if the GAF logo was somehow mirroring that look for visual consistency. Like block style (tetris pieces?!), pixel art...something that evokes that same style.

Regardless it looks very cool. Awesome stuff, man.

No need for the reserved symbol unless you wanted it there :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
I really like that, I just don't like the registered trademark symbol, sort of clutters things a bit visually, would look nicer without it I think. Also I would center the text under the logo personally.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
I dig the alt-font you're going for in there. The only snobby design critique I'd make is that with the block-style lettering, it'd be pretty cool if the GAF logo was somehow mirroring that look for visual consistency. Like block style (tetris pieces?!), pixel art...something that evokes that same style.

I was trying to keep in in line with the Feisar style, but at the same time hold to the GAF logo as well: -

727d98411e6aa952c287d68498a4fedd.jpg

I think what I'll probably do is actually simplify it so it's more accord with the cleaner aesthetic of the Feisar logo, lose those jaggy spikes but retain the familiar wave aspect. 🤔

I really like that, I just don't like the registered trademark symbol, sort of clutters things a bit visually, would look nicer without it I think.

The RT was just a hangover from the reference I was using. I kind of dug it, but easily lost. ;)

Also I would center the text under the logo personally

Yeah, Shifty said the same in the Discord. I'll address with the next update (maybe later on today...I'm nursing a chest infection atm which is draining me)

Thanks for the feedback.

Kad

Last edited:

Keylime

Spoiler Tag Abuser
It's a really slick font. I think it reads pretty clearly.

Really good homage to that Feisar style. A+ man.

Nymphae

Banned
Update. The differential is the wave width varies ohn the top versus the bottom. There's a few more variations beyond this in terms of colour assignments, but I thought I'd go with this and see what people think of the overall to then refine down. All feedback appreciated. Kad.

WBhD1bk.jpg

Nice, looks great. Imo the light grey text is a bit too unreadable, I like just sticking to the logo's colours.

S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
Update. The differential is the wave width varies ohn the top versus the bottom. There's a few more variations beyond this in terms of colour assignments, but I thought I'd go with this and see what people think of the overall to then refine down. All feedback appreciated. Kad.

WBhD1bk.jpg
I like the top ones more. The thicker line just seems better to me.
Maybe even a bit thicker? That would allow more variance in the stroke, and a closer homage to the Feisar style.

Kadayi

Banned
Nice, looks great. Imo the light grey text is a bit too unreadable, I like just sticking to the logo's colours.

Ok will do

I like the top ones more. The thicker line just seems better to me.
Maybe even a bit thicker? That would allow more variance in the stroke, and a closer homage to the Feisar style.

Yeah. Shifty on the discord was saying the same. I'll make some further options and post them up at some point.

Nymphae

Banned
Ok will do

lol just a suggestion, go with your gut. It could look good with the same values as the dark grey but screened a bit, maybe 50% or something.

Shifty on the discord was saying the same. I'll make some further options and post them up at some point.

I hope everyone remembers to actually submit their designs via the process in the OP and not just post them in the thread!

Last edited:
S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
Question to the mods, or anyone else who might know...

Would a Pac-Man style maze, with the GAF symbol as Pac be violating rules/law?
Pics of gaming systems in place of pills etc, new and old?

Nymphae

Banned
Question to the mods, or anyone else who might know...

Would a Pac-Man style maze, with the GAF symbol as Pac be violating rules/law?
Pics of gaming systems in place of pills etc, new and old?

I would think that would be acceptable, look at some of the ones in the images I posted on the first page, If you can use the FF7 logo like that, I would think using the pac man maze would be ok. I would think that as long as you aren't copying and pasting actual pac-man graphics, but maybe drawing up a pacman styled maze yourself, that would be ok, but I'm not 100% certain.

Last edited:
S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
I would think that would be acceptable, look at some of the ones in the images I posted on the first page, If you can use the FF7 logo like that, I would think using the pac man maze would be ok. I would think that as long as you aren't copying and pasting actual pac-man graphics, but maybe drawing up a pacman styled maze yourself, that would be ok, but I'm not 100% certain.
There's no chance of that happening - my artistic skills are non existent.
I just had the thought of using that style. With gaming machine icons scattered around in place of bonuses. And maybe mod avatars as the ghosts chasing.
Sort of thing.

Maybe someone with the skills can make it reality??

Added some arcade-ish old school CRT effects, not sure if possible to print on a t-shirt tho. Just doing it for the fun anyway^^
The first one had an alpha channel, the second one doesn't.
gaf-t8.png

Lcv91GY.jpg

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Added some arcade-ish old school CRT effects, not sure if possible to print on a t-shirt tho. Just doing it for the fun anyway^^
The first one had an alpha channel, the second one doesn't.
gaf-t8.png

Lcv91GY.jpg

Yeah I'm not sure glows would print correctly, in the design guidelines link in the OP, it mentions all ink will be printed with a white underbase, so transparencies will look different.

Yeah I'm not sure glows would print correctly, in the design guidelines link in the OP, it mentions all ink will be printed with a white underbase, so transparencies will look different.

That's what I thought. I uploaded the PNGs because I didn't know which color shirt these will be printed on. DPI, pixel size and color settings are according to guidelines, but I'm no graphics designer, so I hope the other images will turn out fine.

Nymphae

Banned
That's what I thought. I uploaded the PNGs because I didn't know which color shirt these will be printed on. DPI, pixel size and color settings are according to guidelines, but I'm no graphics designer, so I hope the other images will turn out fine.

I'm curious myself how the colours will be chosen, I designed mine for a white shirt, but am also working on a version for any colour backgrounds, in case they allow these to be printed with shirt colour options for the buyer.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
strange headache strange headache

Actually, if I'm understanding the printing process correctly here, what you could do is just make sure you supply the file with a black layer behind everything. Then the white underbase will simply go under that and your transparencies would look like they do in the file over your black BG. I think, but then your artwork either has to be on a black shirt, or on a black box on a different colour shirt. Also the black in your BG would probably be slightly different than the actual shirt colour, which would make the black box visible regardless of shirt colour.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned

I emailed the support staff about this to get some answers, here is the email exchange:

Q:
How would a transparency that fades to zero be printed? If I supplied a red line that fades to nothing, on a transparent background PNG file, how will that print? I'm aware of the white underprinting and your image displaying the difference between the 30% magenta with and without it makes perfect sense to me, but I am curious about gradients.

My thinking is that the gradation would be printed with a white underbase, and look really weird (due to the 100% white underbase following the red as it fades to nothing)

So my question I guess is, if I place a bunch of different coloured RGB objects that all fade to nothing onto a PNG file with a solid black background, the entire black BG would get the white underprint, and the transparent RGB objects I put above that layer will appear as they do in the file, fading to zero over black, correct?

A:
Good question! Yes the white underbase would follow the entire design so it would fade to white rather than black if that's the garment color. If you add a black background under that it would fade to that black but it won't match the black we use for garments and it might look weird. The best way to do transparency-like printing would be to halftone the gradient and keep the colors solid. It should give the same look without running into the underbase problem

I asked for a bit of clarification

Q:
So I have a design that has lines fading to nothing. It is designed for a white shirt, so I figured that would look fine when printed with the underbase on a white shirt.

But if it want the same line on a black shirt, that line will still have the white underbase. Does the underbase white fade to nothing as well? Or is my faded red line going to have a fully solid white shape underneath it?

A:
it would be solid white underneath

So your glows you can either do like they suggested and halftone any gradients, which I find often doesn't look very good, but it might, and in this case sounds like the best way to get a true transparent look ready for any shirt colour. Or you can do like I suggested, supply it with a black BG in the file, and everything will look good, but the black BG you choose will differ from the shirt colour even if you make it black, designed for a black shirt. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

I emailed the support staff about this to get some answers, here is the email exchange:

I asked for a bit of clarification

So your glows you can either do like they suggested and halftone any gradients, which I find often doesn't look very good, but it might, and in this case sounds like the best way to get a true transparent look ready for any shirt colour. Or you can do like I suggested, supply it with a black BG in the file, and everything will look good, but the black BG you choose will differ from the shirt colour even if you make it black, designed for a black shirt. Hope this helps.

Wow, thanks a lot for going to these great lengths. It's much appreciated!

Yeah, I dunno if I can halftone this or even overlay it to a black background, there's just too much Photshop f*ckery involved for the CRT effects. I'll just keep it simple. But I've put a black BG to the other designs and added a black outline so it should work for all color t-shirts. Hope it is OK like that:

SiR4iBu.png

kQMScgR.png

IAxNU2A.png

Sorry for double post.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Yeah, I dunno if I can halftone this or even overlay it to a black background, there's just too much Photshop f*ckery involved for the CRT effects. I'll just keep it simple. But I've put a black BG to the other designs, hope it is OK like that:

No matter how much crazy shit is going on in the PS file, it will look exactly like you want it to as long as the bottommost layer is a solid colour (because then this BG layer gets the solid white backing, and your CRT photoshop stuff is simply printed on top of that object, just like it is in your file. With no solid bottom layer in the file, the white underbase will be apllied to whatever is "the bottom", so all your text, etc.)

Those CRT effects would print just fine if you build it with a solid BG, the only issue would be the BG colour not matching the tshirt colour, which isn't the biggest deal really.

Apologies if I'm overexplaining lol

Last edited:
No matter how much crazy shit is going on in the PS file, it will look exactly like you want it to as long as the bottommost layer is a solid colour (because then this BG layer gets the solid white backing, and your CRT photoshop stuff is simply printed on top of that object, just like it is in your file. With no solid bottom layer in the file, the white underbase will be apllied to whatever is "the bottom", so all your text, etc.)

Those CRT effects would print just fine if you build it with a solid BG, the only issue would be the BG colour not matching the tshirt colour, which isn't the biggest deal really.

Apologies if I'm overexplaining lol

Not it's fine, you're not overexplaining, but I just can't do it. I put a black BG behind it, but it doesn't look very good. Thanks for your help nonetheless 👍

Nymphae

Banned
Not it's fine, you're not overexplaining, but I just can't do it. I put a black BG behind it, but it doesn't look very good. Thanks for your help nonetheless 👍

Hmm, I'd have to see how it was built to help you out but I'm sure you can achieve that look. I'm confused because the second image with the CRT effects you posted has a black BG, and the effects look great. Like if you just submitted that as a PNG file it would print right.

Last edited:
I'm confused because the second image with the CRT effects you posted has a black BG, and the effects look great. Like if you just submitted that as a PNG file it would print right.

I'm no expert on this, but if you just submit a picture with a solid square background, it would print like the whole square picture on the t-shirt, no?

Kinda like that:

ra%2Craglan%2Cx925%2Cwhite_black%2Cfront-c%2C210%2C180%2C210%2C230-bg%2Cf8f8f8.lite-1u6.jpg

Nymphae

Banned
I'm no expert on this, but if you just submit a picture with a solid square background, it would print like the whole square picture on the t-shirt, no?

Yes, that would print as pictured. Basically, whatever the back object is, that is going to have solid white backing put behind it. So if that object has any level of transparency, you will see white under it instead of the tshirt colour.

Last edited:
Top Bottom