• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF, did I just get called out by Microsoft's JEFF BELL?!

GhaleonEB

I thought this was pretty silly - even hilarious and a bit weird. I didn't expect it to blow up into this though, even knowing GAF. :lol

WasabiKing said:
And this is a good thing. We've known that he's read NeoGAF for at least 3 years. Unless a user opts to use their real name (Jaffe, Dyack, Pachter), as a fellow user, we should always respect their privacy. Of course, this all goes to shit when someone on the admin staff reveals an identity of a user, which seems to be the case here. I will go ahead and apologize on behalf of the staff here.

Unless Peter Moore starts shilling every EA Sports game (and you'll know when a user is excited about EA Rugby), I don't think we'll be outing him.
I thought this was a unique situation.

Durante

shagg_187 said:
I've never been to 4chan. Hows the environment there?
The only part of 4chan worth talking about is /b/. It is at once the most win and the most fail on the internets.

Though lately, it has been more of the latter than the former.

Yixian said:
In gaming, sure, but 4chan is the center of the internet. And I shall never return there.

In what way is 4chan the center? Do they have the most members of any internet forum?
Gamefaqs has over 4 million. gaia has like a hundred million or something. How many members does 4chan have approx?

Mojovonio

Banned
KillerRobot.jpg

GAZERK said:
I welcome Jeff Bell with open arms now. He's cool in my book. Heck, he provided us with entertainment, why did Patrick go and have to screw it up?

Not really Patrick's fault. Story would've died without getting published if a GAF Mod/Staffer/Whatever didn't "confirm" Bell's identity. Patrick had a right to ask the question, and GAF Staff had a right not to answer it, or answer it with, "No Comment". When Patrick got the confirmation it officially became a story.

You can debate whether its "real news" but in a world of Anna Nicole and Paris Hilton trumping the Iraq War the conceit that there is a thing called "real news" (especially as it relates to journalism) is kinda quaint.

Vidguy

Sage00 said:
Wait, Arne not at MS anymore, Peter Moore not at MS anymore.

1+1=2

Arne = Peter Moore!

:lol
Noo noo...Arne can't grow the goatee. I've seen him try, and it's not pretty. So consider this rumor debunked! ;)

(just wanted to be part of the legendary thread. Thanks for the laughs!)

Jaurenlo

Hitokage said:
Stock market talk versus an internet user's feelings. Hmm...

I agree...that was a bad comparison.

This went to far.

1up reporting and calling MS like a New IP dropped...not that serious.
Must be really boring over that at 1up today.

It was :lol the first dozen pages or so, but now its just... :/

Reilly

Peter Moore leaves.

"Who can replace Moore's awesomeness?"

Jeff Bell sends an awesome PM

Gaf explodes

Games Media explodes

Jeff Bell reaches Moore's level in less than 24 hours.

Clearly a joke: a Master Ninja's OP
Not a joke: Jeff's PM, Patrick's 1UP news story

Patrick's news story was based on Jeff's PM, not OP.

luoapp

a Master Ninja said:
:lol :lol :lol
I can't believe this. :lol
eXxy, if you want to do a phone interview for with the forum-dweller who got called out by Jeff Bell let me know. :lol

Correct, just a three days ago Major Nelson went on a rant in his podcast about "I'm gunna find out who posted that picture of me on GAF", and that guy was me.:lol

Which pic was he talking about? Can't wait to see it:lol

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
The fact that he used his real last name makes him a badass.

I get home from therapy and am blessed with this thread:lol

Reilly said:
Peter Moore leaves.

Gaf explodes

Games Media explodes

BRILLIANT.jpg

J-Rzez

That's it, I demand blood! I got the rope and pitchforks! Someone else bring some blue-ribbon and a rotted out F-150...

...and a TomTom

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Visualante said:
Clearly a joke: a Master Ninja's OP
Not a joke: Jeff's PM, Patrick's 1UP news story

Patrick's news story was based on Jeff's PM, not OP.
Patrick is not contributing anything to society with his story.
In fact, he may just be ruining one man's career.

Sounds great, doesn't it?

crazyscreenwriter said:
Not really Patrick's fault. Story would've died without getting published if a GAF Mod/Staffer/Whatever didn't "confirm" Bell's identity. Patrick had a right to ask the question, and GAF Staff had a right not to answer it, or answer it with, "No Comment". When Patrick got the confirmation it officially became a story.

You can debate whether its "real news" but in a world of Anna Nicole and Paris Hilton trumping the Iraq War the conceit that there is a thing called "real news" (especially as it relates to journalism) is kinda quaint.

True, but Patrick was still part of the problem.

Sage00 said:

RE: bold: Not really

Whatever you think of Patrick's story, it is his site- and this is the internet. It's pretty diverse, if you don't like it don't read it. PS. I am not defending him, I would have waited for it to develop into something epic before posting that morsel.

xaosslug

Reilly said:
Peter Moore leaves.

Gaf explodes

Games Media explodes

and ALL without use
/crutch
of tattoos.

aranth

I'm still trying to figure out if he was just joking with that pm or was dead serious. If it's the latter, well...., it would be around the level of a spoiled forumite.

This thread is moving at ludicrous speed, NeoGAF never disappoints. :lol

Sage00 said:

If Bell didn't send the PM and if NeoGaf Mods didn't confirm his identity then Patrick would had no story. But they did...Its not Patrick fault. Its the fault of a V.P. of a major U.S. corporation acting like a 13 year old, and the fault of a Mod with not a lot of sense (or his/her own agenda).

Blaming a journalist because he reported on something stupid that happened right in front of him is ridiculous. Blame the people that did something stupid.

Its like blaming the failure of the Iraq War on the the Reporter's that report the news from Iraq, and not the premise of the entire thing to begin with!

Duderz

Banned
First 15 pages = :lol :lol :lol

Page 16 and beyond = :/

Still, Jeff Bell has become a GAF celebrity, whether he wants to or not.

Top Bottom