• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Fourth Generation Awards

AniHawk

NeoGAF Games of the Fifth Generation Awards
NeoGAF Games of the Sixth Generation Awards

vm7wQ3b.png

tHvysVz.png

1. Super Metroid (Super NES)
the most complete 2D game of all time IMO. Forget about generation. It has mood, fantastic gameplay, and an incredible score
The level-design, atmosphere and replayability of this game are still unmatched. Super Metroid remains one of the pillars of the entire subgenre and action adventures in general. This is how you do an immersive experience.
1. Super Metroid ; Though rightfully best known for its masterful level design and atmospherics, I will always remember this game for its storytelling. Classic "show, don't tell" storytelling that would be all-too scarce in the years to come.

JmRwPNR.png

2. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (Super NES)
Smooth, silky perfection. I could take up the whole character count limit talking about this game. It grabs you from the word "go" and doesn't let up, with a world that is totally engrossing and gameplay that feels wonderful. When I finished the game I felt like I truly knew the place I was playing in, that I'd discovered it all and it was a part of me, and that's a feeling I've always adored from the Zelda series.
Simply the finest game of all time. I can't think of any other game which so successfully and skillfully weaves design, challenge, variety, pace, content and aesthetics together. Every component is exemplary and the quality is off the charts. A magical, epochal, artform-defining tour de force.

o7z7DRt.png

3. Super Mario World (Super NES)
]Platform perfection + exploration. This is the game I usually measure all platfomers against.
FThis game blew my mind at the time when it came out. Going from SMB -> SMB3 -> SMW was such an evolution. I love the variation in the levels and the fully fleshed-out zones. This is one of the first games I remember that had tons of extra content - allowing you to get so much more out of it - even after beating the game - with the secret exits, the P-switches, and Star Road.

lYfOVKv.png

4. Chrono Trigger (Super NES)
Seamless design allowing combat and exploration to intuitively be on the same screen, no random battles allows logical transition from exploration to battle, great spritework, animated characters and enemies combined enemies move around the battlefield and characters that actually run up to enemies to attack gives the game world a non-abstract feel, great looking tech/magic effects with different areas of effect, well paced story and progression, soundtrack by Mitsuda and Uematsu is probably the greatest in a game ever, time travel means a wide variety of environments, multiple endings, new game plus...
To me it's harder to think of an example of a game from this generation that does quite as much. It's pacing is flawless, it's soundtrack is timeless, and it's battlesystem and story to this day still do not feel dated like many other RPGs in the generation do.

a5odY77.png

5. Final Fantasy VI (Super NES)
The characters are depicted in broad stroke yet every line is poetic. The gameplay strikes the perfect balance between making each character unique and large room for customization. The soundtrack is Nobuo Uematsu at his peak and the graphic ages like fine wine with the expressive sprite-based animation.
Final Fantasy VI is as ambitious as it is bold. The cast of characters is massive and they all feel very distinct due to their classes, musical motifs and characterisation by multiple creative juggernauts of that company. There’s plenty of flexibility still in the mechanics that allow you to customise them to your own liking if you really want to though. The best part of the game is how it is paced though. All the scenes and set pieces are close together, and the game’s forward momentum makes you blaze through them. You don’t really get much time to take things in, unless the story calls for it, which helps drive home how the first lead character gets pulled into this conflict, and helps illustrate the determination of the other leads.

AgSR7Ew.png

6. Street Fighter II (Super NES, Sega Genesis, PC Engine, Game Boy, Arcade, PC)
One of, if not THE most innovative game ever. Codified the Fighter. Invented combos. A leapforward in competitive gaming. Reinvigorated arcades. Made asymetric balancing a goal (even later when this was forgotten at times). Just looks, sounds, and plays sharp.
a total game changer. Redefined multiplayer and set the industry in a whole new direction. DLC-esque 'sequels' were less impactful even if they were more refined.

7YVpozd.png

7. Doom (Super NES, Sega 32X, PC)
Groundbreaking, and changed everything afterward.
Not only did this define first-person action games and introduce modding, but it firmly established the trend of PC gaming's fidelity and complexity outperforming console gaming by a significant margin. No. Doom DEFINED PC gaming as a whole.

fWFyt2X.png

8. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island (Super NES)
The game is just such a joy to play. It has a unique art style that separates it from anything else out there, wonderful catchy music, and level design that keeps you engaged from start to finish. The game even offers some challenge by going after all the collectibles which reward you with challenging secret levels. Yoshi's Island has a child-like innocence to it that makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside.
The game basically is the 2D prototype of the 3D collectathon games and got everything right from the get-go. Yoshi's versatile capabilities allow for a varied and unique level design, demanding platforming skill, timing, will for exploration and even some light puzzle solving skills. The point system for the levels with its amazing reward of hard-as-nails extra levels allowed for an interesting scaling of difficulty and the presentation is wonderful.

3sGOf0l.png

9. Earthbound (Super NES)
Charming, funny, creative, unique, and innovative. Most fun of any RPG to talk to people in the towns because of the sense of humor. Amount of variety is unparalleled. From Stonehenge, to Zombie towns, to shopping malls, to swamps, to traffic jams, to pyrmaids, to deserts, to metropolitan cities, to beach resorts, to alien bases. Battles are more exciting than other RPGs because of the the Rolling HP Meter. Being able to squash easy enemies removed some of the tedium that is usually present in RPGs. The constantly changing battle music and settings keeps the battles and dungeons feeling fresh.
The weirdness, the perfect localization in a time of so many terrible ones, and the background music all built into an adventure that was hard to say goodbye to. Maybe it doesn't have Mother 3's punch, but good friend, bad friends gets me, just a little bit, every time.

8Fnlpti.png

10. Streets of Rage 2 (Sega Genesis, Game Gear, Arcade)
Still the greatest side scrolling beat-em-up of all time on a home console and stands up well even today. While there are certainly similar games with greater depth, to have this on a home console in the nineties - something better than what was in arcades - was simply mind blowing. I could wax lyrical about this game for days.
Just pure fun and the difficulty is nicely balanced (unless you play on Mania) unlike any of the arcade beat-em-ups from the same era.

qOQQRVo.png

11. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy’s Kong Quest (Super NES)
It's perfect in many ways. Perfect soundtrack by Dave Wise. Perfect level design that introduces a new mechanic in pretty much every level, develops that mechanic in many interesting and unexpected ways, and then doesn't let it outstay its welcome. A surprisingly dark and moody art style for a game about cartoon monkeys.

grtFXAt.png

12. The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening (Game Boy)
Unravelling the strange tale of Koholint island feels that much more interesting in a series that drew from the LttP well once too often. Its tone is quirky yet endearing, it inexplicably drops in some Mario mainstays, it prioritizes puzzling over action and there’s nary a wasted inch of overworld map (rapids aside). Kind of stomps most of its GB competition quite handily.

mqRYya5.png

13. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles (Sega Genesis)
A near flawless combination of heavily nuanced mechanics and level design that encouraged smart, experimental use of it's mechanics. Levels are huge with plenty of paths without being confusing or overly big. Bosses are simple but diverse and enjoyable. Multiple characters and special stages encourage many replays and the game's presentation is nothing short of marvelous. A definite masterpiece for the ages!

Dvk3cML.png

14. Mega Man X (Super NES)
Right when the NES series was going stale with the tried and true formula, this gem comes out and becomes an amazing breath of fresh air. Finding powerups mid levels and boss powerups which were fun to use in the 16-bit era.

30gj9OQ.png

15. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Sega Genesis)
This is a perfect game. Soundtrack is perfect, sprites are beautiful, backgrounds are varied and lovely to look at, the spin dash really upgrades the gameplay and the platforming and speed are mixed together nicely. The only downside is the ease of difficulty, but this is such a blast that I don't think it matters.

4dOFrAO.png

16. Final Fantasy IV (Super NES)
This game is just fun setpiece after fun setpiece once it gets going. It also has some really memorable moments, and as far as gameplay is concerned it's a much better balanced game than VI. It's really amazing how much more concise and tightly paced the best jrpgs used to be back then, which is almost the opposite view people have of the genre nowadays.

nQVh39C.png

17. Super Mario Kart (Super NES)
Great track design, and enemy AI that's so stupid that it's incredibly fun to manipulate.

oEqssvO.png

18. Secret of Mana (Super NES)
Playing a "Zelda" game simultaneously with 2 friends was absolutely amazing and the soundtrack was and still is one of my favorites.

HTkkcyO.png

19. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (Super NES)
A story where Mario rescuing Peach Toadstool is only the beginning. No random encounters. Grinding isn't completely necessary. One of the best soundtracks of all time. Also great for an introduction to the RPG genre.

BS24MIY.png

20. Terranigma (Super NES)
This action RPG by Quintet not only has incredibly concept behind it which see the hero reviving our actual planet Earth and then advance the human progress but it also has a good execution with great graphics and audio to back it up.
Even more importantly Terranigma possess a strong soul, with a intelligent plot that isn't too invading and a memorable bittersweet finale.

9dRo5kp.png

21. Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium (Sega Genesis)
The game was way ahead of its time with its macro system where you can pre-plan certain actions (e.g. Hero 1 heals, Hero 2 attacks, etc.) to save on tedium and make fighting more fast paced and fun. The game itself had a presentation very similar to early Sega CD games with still anime custcenes and character portraits. The pacing was spot on and promoted the player to keep adventuring. The story itself was pretty dark and well done throughout the adventure.

0CVBoCp.png

22. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time (Super NES, Arcade)
I think I've beaten this game more than any other. I've cleared it with my brother, my friends, my son, and by myself. It was amazing as a kid and it's still a blast to play.

3fYuJhj.png

23. Gunstar Heroes (Sega Genesis, Game Gear)
On the one hand, I'm usually not a fan of overly powerful protagonists in shooters or plaftormers, but Gunstar strikes a pretty good balance here. You can jump kick, shoulder tackle, block, and catch enemy grenades and throw them back. Like Contra 3, you can hold 2 weapons at once, but unlike that game you can actually switch to a hybrid of the 2 guns you're holding in addition to firing them individually. Great boss fights, unique presentation like the pictured boss rush, and even a board game make this a pretty unique run-n-gun.

Once you've mastered normal mode, expert mode offers an interesting challenge. It does still resort to "everyone takes more damage" as a way of increasing difficulty, but navigating those constraints is often more complicated than just shooting them longer as the greatly reduced the efficacy of certain weapons and special moves eliminate many safe strategies for breezing through the game. Also, you now have to beat all 7 forms of Sevenforce to win the fight instead of 5 chosen at random on Normal. A fun game and a sentimental favorite as I was really considering that video games just weren't for me anymore when Gunstar Heroes showed me that I had just been playing the wrong types of games.

gQd9k6p.png

24. Super Castlevania IV (Super NES)
Unforgettable atmosphere, soundtrack, levels, and enemies. The most immersive game of the era after Super Metroid.

1mbYDdc.png

25. Mortal Kombat 2 (Super NES, Sega Genesis, Sega 32X, Game Boy, Game Gear, Arcade, PC)
MK shocked the world with its" photorealistic" graphics and its violence. Its successor must have been one of the main topics of conversation among between me and my elementary school friends in 1992 and 1993. I'll never forget my gratification when I actually got this highly anticipated title. Going to the arcades and playing a coin using the formerly mysterious Reptile was a dream come true. Looking back, MK2 represented the end of the early heyday of the franchise, which IMO would eventually weaken.

mCYVNJF.png

25. Tetris Attack (Super NES, Game Boy)
One of the best puzzle games ever made. Playing against a friend is a blast, and watching crazy combos being pulled off is amazing.

AniHawk

Genre Awards

dtBJEYg.png

Action
1. Super Metroid (Super NES)
2. Mega Man X (Super NES)
3. Super Castlevania IV (Super NES)
4. Castlevania X: Rondo of Blood (PC Engine)
5. Shinobi III: Revenge of the Master Ninja (Sega Genesis)

lHoqFoH.png

Action-Adventure
1. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (Super NES)
2. The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening (Game Boy)
3. Beyond Oasis (Sega Genesis)
4. Goof Troop (Super NES)
4. Landstalker (Sega Genesis)

oXojyfs.png

Adventure
1. Monkey Island 2: LeChuck’s Revenge (PC)
2. Snatcher (Sega CD, PC Engine, PC)
3. Day of the Tentacle (PC)
4. Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (PC)
4. Daichikun Crisis (PC Engine)
4. Famicom Tantei Club Part II (Super NES)

oz64ZFN.png

Brawler
1. Streets of Rage 2 (Sega Genesis, Game Gear, Arcade)
2. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time (Super NES, Arcade)
3. Streets of Rage 3 (Sega Genesis)
4. Double Dragon (Sega Genesis, Game Gear)
4. Final Fight (Super NES, Sega CD, X68000, Arcade, PC)

l77IVwF.png

FPS
1. Doom (Super NES, Sega 32X, PC)
2. Wolfenstein 3D (Super NES, PC)
3. Super Noah’s Ark 3D (Super NES)

VF6PumY.png

Fighting
1. Street Fighter 2 (Super NES, Sega Genesis, PC Engine, Game Boy, Arcade, PC)
2. Mortal Kombat 2 (Super NES, Sega Genesis, Sega 32X, Game Boy, Game Gear, Arcade, PC)
3. Super Punch-Out!! (Super NES)
4. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters (Super NES, Sega Genesis)
5. Killer Instinct (Super NES, Arcade)

sp9Z7h7.png

Platforming
1. Super Mario World (Super NES)
2. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island (Super NES)
3. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy’s Kong Quest (Super NES)
4. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles (Sega Genesis)
5. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Sega Genesis)

dKgyIYn.png

Puzzle
1. Tetris Attack (Super NES, Game Boy)
2. Tetris (Sega Genesis, Game Boy, Arcade, PC)
3. Lemmings (Super NES, Sega Genesis, PC Engine, Game Boy, Game Gear, PC)
4. Bomberman 94 (Sega Genesis, PC Engine)
4. Bomberman 93 (PC Engine)

4M8gaD1.png

Racing
1. Super Mario Kart (Super NES)
2. F-Zero (Super NES)
3. Micro Machines V2 (Super NES, Sega Genesis, Game Boy, Game Gear)
4. Outrun (Sega Genesis)
5. Top Gear (Super NES)

IBMcsCp.png

RPG
1. Chrono Trigger (Super NES)
2. Final Fantasy VI (Super NES)
3. Earthbound (Super NES)
4. Final Fantasy IV (Super NES)
5. Secret of Mana (Super NES)

kEoFeTe.png

Shooter
1. Gunstar Heroes (Sega Genesis, Game Gear)
2. Contra 3: The Alien Wars (Super NES, Game Boy)
3. Contra: Hard Corps (Sega Genesis)
4. Alien Soldier (Sega Genesis)
5. Metal Slug X (Neo Geo)

EKAypIz.png

Simulation
1. Sim City (Super NES, PC)
2. Frontier: Elite 2 (PC)
3. Star Wars: X-Wing (PC)
4. Wrestle Angels (PC)
5. Paperboy (Sega Genesis, Game Boy, Game Gear, Atari Lynx)
5. The Manager (PC)
5. Wing Commander (Super NES, Sega CD, PC)

qpGBNcs.png

Sports
1. NHL 94 (Super NES, Sega Genesis, Sega CD, PC)
2. Kirby’s Dream Course (Super NES)
3. Lakers vs. Celtics and the NBA Playoffs (Sega Genesis, PC)
4. International Superstar Soccer Deluxe (Super NES, Sega Genesis)
4. Ken Griffey Jr.’s Winning Run (Super NES, Sega Genesis)

HYKEEml.png

Strategy
1. Herzog Zwei (Sega Genesis)
2. Clock Tower (Super NES)
3. Mega-lo-Mania (Super NES, Sega Genesis, X68000, PC)
4. General Chaos (Sega Gensis)
5. Pool of Radiance (Sega Genesis)
5. Romance of the Three Kingdoms 4 (Super NES, Sega 32X, PC)
5. Syndicate (Super NES, Sega Genesis, Sega CD, Arcade, PC)

AniHawk

Platform Awards

wxIgZnM.png

Mult-Platform
1. Street Fighter II (Super NES, Sega Genesis, PC Engine, Game Boy, Arcade, PC)
2. Doom (Super NES, Sega 32X, PC)
3. Streets of Rage 2 (Sega Genesis, Game Gear, PC)
4. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time (Super NES, Arcade)
5. Gunstar Heroes (Sega Genesis, Game Gear)
6. Mortal Kombat 2 (Super NES, Sega Genesis, Sega 32X, Game Boy, Game Gear, Arcade, PC)
7. Tetris Attack (Super NES, Game Boy)
8. Tetris (Sega Genesis, Game Boy, Arcade, PC)
9. Contra 3: The Alien Wars (Super NES, Game Boy)
10. Sim City (Super NES, PC)

r41uAn4.png

Arcade
1. Thunder Dragon 2
2. Super Contra
2. Batsugun
2. Out Zone
5. Cadillacs and Dinosaurs
5. WWF Wrestlefest
5. Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder
8. Gun Frontier
8. The Simpsons
8. X-Men
8. Daytona USA
8. Fixeight

e77ZVzP.png

PC
1. Monkey Island 2: LeChuck’s Revenge
2. Day of the Tentacle
3. Prince of Persia
4. Star Wars: X-Wing
5. Frontier Elite 2
6. Wrestle Angels
7. Commander Keen 4
8. Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
8. Angband
8. Fantasy World Dizzy
8. Parodius

6B4Rzb3.png

Neo Geo
1. Metal Slug
2. Metal Slug X
3. World Heroes Perfect
4. Garou: Mark of the Wolves
5. Windjammers
6. Samurai Shodown 2
7. The Last Blade 2
8. The King of Fighters 98
8. Puzzle Bobble
8. Neo Drift Out
8. Metal Slug 3

pOUYLgI.png

Sega Genesis
1. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles
2. Sonic the Hedgehog 2
3. Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium
4. Shining Force 2
5. Shinobi III: Revenge of the Master Ninja
6. Phantasy Star II
7. Contra: Hard Corps
8. Sonic the Hedgehog
9. Ristar
9. Comix Zone

lZGdi7p.png

Sega 32X
1. Knuckles Chaotix

YWConsP.png

Sega CD
1. Lunar: The Silver Star
2. Shining Force CD
2. Lunar: Eternal Blue
4. Sonic CD
5. Flink

KQfizG6.png

Super NES
1. Super Metroid
2. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
3. Super Mario World
4. Chrono Trigger
5. Final Fantasy VI
6. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island
7. Earthbound
8. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy’s Kong Quest
9. Mega Man X
10. Final Fantasy IV

qz8qsRA.png

PC Engine
1. Castlevania X: Rondo of Blood
2. Ys Book 1 and 2
3. Legendary Axe
4. Daichikun Crisis
5. Bomberman 93
5. Far East of Eden II
7. Dungeon Explorer
7. Legend of Xanadu: Kaze no Densetsu
9. Soldier Blade
10. Blazing Lazers
10. Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys
10. Kiki KaiKai
10. Spriggan

LaeEa5w.png

X68000
1. Castlevania Chronicles

qhsfDuk.png

Game Boy
1. The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening
2. Final Fantasy Adventure
3. Donkey Kong
4. Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins
5. Final Fantasy Legend II
6. Final Fantasy Legend III
7. Gargoyle’s Quest
7. The Frog for Whom the Bell Tolls
9. Kirby’s Dream Land 2
10. Kirby’s Dream Land

4Y0KwJd.png

Game Gear
1. Rastan

AniHawk

Bonus Awards

Best Generation Exclusives (Games that have never been ported or remade from or to platforms in any other generation)
1. Terranigma
2. Tetris Attack
3. Contra: Hard Corps
4. The Adventures of Batman & Robin
5. Aladdin
6. Sunset Riders
7. Seiken Densetsu 3
8. NHL 94
9. Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals
10. Uniracers

Best New IPs (First entry to a new franchise that began in this generation)
1. Chrono Trigger
2. Doom
3. Super Mario Kart
4. Gunstar Heroes
5. Ys Book 1 and 2
6. Donkey Kong Country
7. Sim City
8. Sonic the Hedgehog
9. Star Fox
10. Lunar: The Silver Star

Passion Award (Top games ranked by most #1 votes)
1. Super Mario World - 14
2. Super Metroid - 13
3. Chrono Trigger - 12
4. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - 11
5. Doom - 8
6. Final Fantasy VI - 7
7. Earthbound - 4
8. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles - 4
9. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy’s Kong Quest - 3
10. Phantasy Star II - 3
11. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island - 2
12. Streets of Rage 2 - 2
13. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - 2
14. Secret of Mana - 2
15. Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium - 2
16. Lunar: Silver Star - 2
17. The Adventures of Batman & Robin - 1
18. The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening - 1
19. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars - 1
20. Terranigma - 1
21. Mortal Kombat 2 - 1
22. Tetris Attack - 1
23. Monkey Island 2: LeChuck’s Revenge - 1
24. Shining Force II - 1
25. Tetris - 1

Most Supportive Fanbase (Games with at least 3 #1s, ordered by percentage of #1 scores out of total score)
1. Phantasy Star II (85.71%)
2. Doom (51.61%)
3. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles (35.56%)
4. Super Mario World (34.78%)
5. Chrono Trigger (31.79%)
6. Earthbound (31.37%)
7. Super Metroid (30.41%)
8. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (26.83%)
9. Final Fantasy VI (25.69%)
10. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy’s Kong Quest (25.53%)

Lonely Hearts Award (Top-rated games without a #1 vote)
1. Street Fighter II
2. Mega Man X
3. Final Fantasy IV
4. Super Mario Kart
5. Gunstar Heroes
6. Super Castlevania IV
7. Tetris
8. Castlevania X: Rondo of Blood
9. Contra 3: The Alien Wars
10. Donkey Kong Country

Top Franchises (series with at least two separate games (not including same-gen upgrades/remakes))
1. The Legend of Zelda - 211, 16 Honorable Mentions
2. Super Mario - 171, 17 Honorable Mentions
3. Final Fantasy 166, 17 Honorable Mentions
4. Chrono - 152, 9 Honorable Mentions
5. Sonic the Hedgehog - 100, 17 Honorable Mentions
6. Donkey Kong - 73, 17 Honorable Mentions
7. Streets of Rage - 61, 14 Honorable Mentions
8. Seiken Densetsu - 49, 10 Honorable Mentions
9. Mega Man - 47, 11 Honorable Mentions
10. Castlevania - 46, 16 Honorable Mentions
11. Phantasy Star - 40, 6 Honorable Mentions
12. Tetris - 39, 5 Honorable Mentions
13. Soul Blazer - 29, 11 Honorable Mentions
14. Shining - 28, 6 Honorable Mentions
15. Conta - 28, 5 Honorable Mentions
16. Mortal Kombat - 27, 3 Honorable Mentions
17. Monkey Island - 26, 3 Honorable Mentions
18. Dragon Quest - 21, 3 Honorable Mentions
19. Shinobi - 20, 7 Honorable Mentions
20. Metal Slug - 20, 2 Honorable Mentions

Top Publishers
1. Nintendo - 907, 112 Honorable Mentions
2. Square - 373, 36 Honorable Mentions
3. SEGA - 343, 79 Honorable Mentions
4. Capcom - 150, 35 Honorable Mentions
5. Konami - 146, 50 Honorable Mentions
6. Enix - 57, 22 Honorable Mentions
7. LucasArts - 44, 8 Honorable Mentions
8. Midway - 33, 4 Honorable Mentions
9. SNK - 25, 12 Honorable Mentions
10. Hudson - 19, 6 Honorable Mentions
11. Electronic Arts - 16, 7 Honorable Mentions
12. Falcom - 14, 2 Honorable Mentions
13. Maxis - 13
14. Psygnosis - 12, 5 Honorable Mentions
15. Working Designs - 12, 2 Honorable Mentions
16. Virgin Interactive - 9, 3 Honorable Mentions
17. Natsume - 8, 12 Honorable Mentions
18. Disney - 7
19. Atlus - 6
19. Origin System - 6

Best Platform (including multiplatform)
1. Super NES - 1702, 266 Honorable Mentions
2. Sega Genesis - 600, 149 Honorable Mentions
3. PC - 292, 57 Honorable Mentions
4. Game Boy - 265 - 56 Honorable Mentions
5. Arcade - 226, 53 Honorable Mentions
6. PC Engine - 152, 32 Honorable Mentions
7. Game Gear - 149, 42 Honorable Mentions
8. Sega CD - 75, 16 Honorable Mentions
9. Sega 32X - 66, 2 Honorable Mentions
10. Neo Geo - 25, 14 Honorable Mentions
11. X68000 - 16, 7 Honorable Mentions
12. Atari Lynx - 0, 1 Honorable Mention

Best Platform (exclusives only)
1. Super NES - 1363, 204 Honorable Mentions
2. Sega Genesis - 275, 68 Honorable Mentions
3. PC - 74, 17 Honorable Mentions
4. Game Boy - 72, 19 Honorable Mentions
5. PC Engine - 41, 13 Honorable Mentions
6. Neo Geo - 22, 11 Honorable Mention
7. Sega CD - 16, 5 Honorable Mention
8. Arcade - 12, 6 Honorable Mentions
9. Sega 32X - 2
9. X68000 - 2
11. Game Gear - 0, 1 Honorable Mentions

AniHawk

Ballots Counted: 121
Games Listed: 333
Points Awarded: 2398
Honorable Mentions: 457
Points Per List: 19.82 (out of a possible 20)
Honorable Mentions Per List: 3.78

The List
1. Super Metroid - 171, 13 Honorable Mentions
2. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - 164, 11 Honorable Mentions
3. Super Mario World - 161, 11 Honorable Mentions
4. Chrono Trigger - 151, 10 Honorable Mentions
5. Final Fantasy VI - 109, 7 Honorable Maentions
6. Street Fighter 2 (World Warrior – 10 | Turbo – 13, 4 | Special CE – 1 | Hyper Fighting – 2 Super | 0,1) - 68, 9 Honorable Mentions
7. Doom - 62, 3 Honorable Mentions
8. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island - 53, 7 Honorable Mentions
9. Earthbound - 51, 8 Honorable Mentions
10. Streets of Rage 2 - 48, 12 Honorable Mentions
11. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest - 47, 10 Honorable Mentions
12. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - 46, 6 Honorable Mentions
13. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles (Sonic 3 & Knuckles – 40, 3 | Sonic & Knuckles – 3, 1 | Sonic 3 – 1, 1) - 45, 5 Honorable Mentions
14. Mega Man X - 43, 8 Honorable Mentions
15. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - 42, 8 Honorable Mentions
16. Final Fantasy IV - 41, 5 Honorable Mentions
17. Super Mario Kart - 39, 9 Honorable Mentions
18. Secret of Mana - 37, 6 Honorable Mentions
19. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars - 34, 3 Honorable Mentions
20. Terranigma - 28, 4 Honorable Mentions
21. Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Milennium - 26, 6 Honorable Mentions
22. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time - 24, 5 Honorable Mentions
23. Gunstar Heroes - 23, 8 Honorable Mentions
24. Super Castlevania IV - 21, 9 Honorable Mentions
25. Mortal Kombat 2 - 19, 2 Honorable Mentions
25. Tetris Attack - 19, 2 Honorable Mentions
27. Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge - 18, 4 Honorable Mentions
28. Shining Force 2 - 18, 3 Honorable Mentions
28. Tetris - 18, 3 Honorable Mentions
30. Castlevania X: Rondo of Blood - 17, 4 Honorable Mentions
31. Contra 3: The Alien Wars 16, 2 Honorable Mentions
31. Donkey Kong Country - 16, 2 Honorable Mentions
31. Dragon Quest V - 16, 2 Honorable Mentions
34. Final Fantasy V - 16, 1 Honorable Mention
35. Shinobi III: Revenge of the Master Ninja - 14, 6 Honorable Mentions
36. Phantasy Star II - 14
37. Kirby Super Star - 13, 3 Honorable Mentions
38. Sim City - 13, Honorable Mention
39. Ys Book I and II - 12, 2 Honorable Mentions
40. Contra: Hard Corps - 10, 3 Honorable Mentions
41. Lemmings - 10, 3 Honorable Mentions
42. Sonic the Hedgehog - 10, 2 Honorable Mentions
43. Snatcher - 10, 1 Honorable Mention
44. Star Fox - 9, 5 Honorable Mentions
45. Day of the Tentacle - 9, 3 Honorable Mentions
46. Alien Soldier - 9, 2 Honorable Mentions
46. Lunar: The Silver Star - 9, 2 Honorable Mentions
48. Ghouls n Ghosts - 9, 1 Honorable Mention
49. The Adventures of Batman & Robin - 9, 1 Honorable Mention
50. Comix Zone - 8, 1 Honorable Mention
50. Killer Instinct - 8, 1 Honorable Mention
50. Metal Slug - 8, 1 Honorable Mention
50. Ristar - 8, 1 Honorable Mention
50. Streets of Rage - 8, 1 Honorable Mention
55. Metal Slug X - 8
56. Actraiser - 7, 7 Honorable Mentions
57. Aladdin - 7, 2 Honorable Mentions
58. The Secret of Monkey Island - 7, 2 Honorable Mentions
59. NBA Jam - 7, 1 Honorable Mention
59. Toejam and Earl - 7, 1 Honorable Mention
61. Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War - 7
61. Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 - 7
63. Castlevania Bloodlines - 6, 3 Honorable Mentions
63. Demon's Crest - 6, 3 Honorable Mentions
63. Final Fantasy Adventure - 6, 3 Honorable Mentions
63. Sunset Riders 6, 3 Honorable Mentions
67. Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble - 6, 2 Honorable Mentions
67. Shining Force - 6, 2 Honorable Mentions
67. Super Mario All-Stars - 6, 2 Honorable Mentions
70. Mortal Kombat 3 (Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 | 3,1 | Mortal Kombat 3 – 2) - 6, 1 Honorable Mention
70. Revenge of Shinobi - 6, 1 Honorable Mention
70. Seiken Densetsu 3 - 6, 1 Honorable Mention
73. NHL 94 - 6
73. Super Hang-On - 6
75. Lufia 2 - 5, 5 Honorable Mentions
76. F-Zero - 5, 4 Honorable Mentions
77. Uniracers - 5, 2 Honorable Mentions
78. Streets of Rage 3 - 5, 1 Honorable Mention
79. Bomberman 94 - 5
79. Civilization - 5
79. Dragon Quest VI - 5
79. Dune 2 - 5
83. Flashback - 4, 3 Honorable Mentions
84. Donkey Kong - 4, 2 Honorable Mentions
84. Beyond Oasis - 4, 2 Honorable Mentions
84. Prince of Persia - 4, 2 Honorable Mentions
84. Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins - 4, 2 Honorable Mentions
84. The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse - 4, 2 Honorable Mentions
89. Frontier: Elite 2 - 4, 1 Honorable Mention
89. Herzog Zwei - 4, 1 Honorable Mention
89. Shin Megami Tensei - 4, 1 Honorable Mention
89. Star Wars: X-Wing - 4, 1 Honorable Mention
94. Ecco the Dolphin - 4
94. Final Fantasy Legend II - 4
94. The Lost Vikings 2 - 4
94. Uncharted Waters New Horizons - 4
94. Wrestle Angels - 4
94. X-Men 2: Clone Wars - 4
100. Earthworm Jim - 3, 4 Honorable Mentions
101. Commander Keen 4 - 3, 1 Honorable Mention
101. Goof Troop - 3, 1 Honorable Mention
101. Landstalker - 3, 1 Honorable Mention
101. Legendary Axe - 3, 1 Honorable Mention
101. Live-A-Live - 3, 1 Honorable Mention
101. Speedball 2: Brutal Deluxe - 3, 1 Honorable Mention
107. Angband - 3
107. Clock Tower - 3
107. Daichikun Crisis - 3
107. Famicom Tantei Club Part II - 3
107. Fantasy World Dizzy - 3
107. Final Fantasy Legend III - 3
107. Gaiares - 3
107. Hagane - 3
107. Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis - 3
107. It Came from the Desert - 3
107. Lunar: Eternal Blue - 3
107. MUSHA - 3
107. Parodius - 3
107. Shadowrun - 3
107. Shining Force CD - 3
107. Skyblazer - 3
107. Spider-Man & Venom: Maximum Carnage - 3
107. Thunder Dragon 2 - 3
107. Thunder Force III - 3
107. Ultima VII: The Black Gate - 3
107. World Heroes Perfect - 3
128. Rocket Knight Adventure - 2, 4 Honorable Mentions
129. Road Rash II - 2, 3 Honorable Mentions
129. Super Punch-Out!! - 2, 3 Honorable Mentions
131. Garou Mark of the Wolves - 2, 2 Honorable Mentions
131. Micro Machines V2 - 2, 2 Honorable Mentions
131. Wonder Boy in Monster World - 2, 2 Honorable Mentions
131. Zombies Ate My Neighbors - 2, 2 Honorable Mentions
135. Gabriel Knight - 2, 1 Honorable Mention
135. The Legend of the Mystical Ninja - 2, 1 Honorable Mention
135. Thunder Force IV - 2, 1 Honorable Mention
138. Batsugun - 2
138. Battle Chess - 2
138. Bomberman 93 - 2
138. Bonk's Adventure - 2
138. Castlevania Chronicles - 2
138. Devil's Crush - 2
138. Double Dragon - 2
138. Dragon Ball Z: Super Saiya Densetsu - 2
138. Dungeon Master and Similar - 2
138. Far East of Eden II - 2
138. Final Fight - 2
138. Front Mission - 2
138. Gargoyle's Quest - 2
138. Kirby's Dream Course - 2
138. Knuckles Chaotix - 2
138. Lakers vs. Celtics and the NBA Playoffs - 2
138. Lemmings 2: The Tribes - 2
138. Mega Man X2 - 2
138. Mega Man: Wily Wars - 2
138. Mega-lo-Mania - 2
138. Moonstone: A Hard Days Knight - 2
138. Out Zone - 2
138. Outrun - 2
138. Paperboy - 2
138. Robocop 3 - 2
138. Romancing Saga 3 - 2
138. Sam and Max Hit the Road - 2
138. Shin Megami Tensei II - 2
138. Super Adventure Island II - 2
138. Super Contra - 2
138. Super Turrican 2 - 2
138. Sutte Hakkun - 2
138. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters - 2
138. The 7th Saga - 2
138. The Frog for Whom the Bell Tolls - 2
138. The Manager - 2
138. Wing Commander - 2
174. Illusion of Gaia - 1, 5 Honorable Mentions
175. Axelay - 1, 3 Honorable Mentions
176. Earthworm Jim 2 - 1, 2 Honorable Mentions
176. Harvest Moon - 1, 2 Honorable Mentions
176. Sonic CD - 1, 2 Honorable Mentions
176. Super Ghouls and Ghosts - 1, 2 Honorable Mentions
176. Wild Guns - 1, 2 Honorable Mentions
176. Windjammers - 1, 2 Honorable Mentions
182. General Chaos - 1, 1 Honorable Mention
182. International Superstar Soccer Deluxe - 1, 1 Honorable Mention
182. Ken Griffey Jr.'s Winning Run - 1, 1 Honorable Mention
182. King's Quest VI - 1, 1 Honorable Mention
182. Last Blade 2 - 1, 1 Honorable Mention
182. Magician Lord - 1, 1 Honorable Mention
182. Parodius from Myth to Laughter - 1, 1 Honorable Mention
182. Tales of Phantasia - 1, 1 Honorable Mention
182. The Lion King - 1, 1 Honorable Mention
182. Top Gear - 1, 1 Honorable Mention
182. Vectorman - 1, 1 Honorable Mention
182. Wolfenstein 3D - 1, 1 Honorable Mention
194. Asterix - 1
194. Biker Mice from Mars - 1
194. Black Crypt - 1
194. Cadillacs and Dinosaurs - 1
194. Dragon Ninja - 1
194. Dungeon Explorer - 1
194. EVO: Search for Eden - 1
194. Fantasy Zone - 1
194. FIFA International Soccer - 1
194. Fire Shark - 1
194. Flying Shark - 1
194. Ganbare Goemon 3 - 1
194. Glory of Heracles III - 1
194. Golden Axe - 1
194. Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder - 1
194. International Superstar Soccer - 1
194. Joe & Mac - 1
194. John Madden Football 92 - 1
194. King's Quest IV - 1
194. Kirby's Dream Land 2 - 1
194. Legend of Xanadu Kaze no Densetsu - 1
194. Metal Marines - 1
194. Mickey Mania: The Timeless Adventures of Mickey Mouse - 1
194. Might and Magic: World of Xeen - 1
194. Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: The Fighting Edition - 1
194. Monster World IV - 1
194. Myst - 1
194. NHL Hockey - 1
194. Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen - 1
194. Qwak - 1
194. Radical Dreamers - 1
194. Robocop vs. Terminator - 1
194. Samurai Shodown - 1
194. Secret of Evermore - 1
194. Shining in the Darkness - 1
194. Sim City 2000 - 1
194. SOS - 1
194. Super Bomberman - 1
194. Super Bomberman 2 - 1
194. Terminator 2: Judgment Day - 1
194. Tetris & Dr. Mario - 1
194. Tetris Battle Gaiden - 1
194. The Legend of Zelda: Ancient Stone Tablets - 1
194. Tiny Toons Wacky Sports Challenge - 1
194. Treasure Hunter G - 1
194. Treasure of the Rudras - 1
194. Turrican 2 - 1
194. Twinbee Rainbow Bell Adventures - 1
194. Umihara Kawase - 1
194. UN Squadron - 1
194. Violinist of Hamelin - 1
194. Virtua Fighter - 1
194. Wing Commander II: Vengeance of the Kilrathi - 1
194. Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap - 1
194. WWF Royal Rumble - 1
194. WWF Wrestlefest - 1
194. X-Men - 1
194. Ys V - 1
252. Breath of Fire II - 0, 2 Honorable Mentions
252. Crusader of Centy - 0, 2 Honorable Mentions
252. Kirby's Dream Land - 0, 2 Honorable Mentions
252. Plok - 0, 2 Honorable Mentions
252. Samurai Shodown 2 - 0, 2 Honorable Mentions
252. Soldier Blade - 0, 2 Honorable Mentions
252. Soul Blazer - 0, 2 Honorable Mentions
252. Stunt Race FX - 0, 2 Honorable Mentions
260. Air Buster - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. Assault Suits Valken - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. Blazing Lazers - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. Bonanza Bros. - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. Breath of Fire - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. Cannon Fodder - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. Daytona USA - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. Do-Re-Mi Fantasy - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. Dragon Quest IV - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. Elemental Master - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. Emerald Dragon - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. Emerald Mine 2 - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. Exile - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. Final Fantasy Mystic Quest - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. Final Fight 3 - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. FixEight - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. Flink - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. Gleylancer - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. Gradius II - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. Gradius III - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. Grind Stormer - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. Gun Frontier - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. Hagane - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. Hero's Quest - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. Ken Griffey Jr. Presents MLB - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. Kiki KaiKai - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. Last Resort - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. Loom - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. Mega Man 2 - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. Mega Man 7 - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. Mega Man X3 - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. Mega Turrican - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. Metal Slug 3 - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: The Movie - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. Mutant League Football - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. Neo Drift Out - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. Pocky and Rocky - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. Pool of Radiance - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. Pulseman - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. Puzzle Bobble - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. R-Type II - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. R-Type III: The Third Lightning - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. Rastan - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. Rick Dangerous - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. Ridge Racer - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. Rock & Roll Racing - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. Romance of the Three Kingdoms 4 - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. Smash TV - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. Space Quest 3 - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. Spriggan - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. Star Control 2 - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. Star Ocean - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. Strider - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. Stunt Car Racer - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. Super Monaco GP - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. Super Noah's Ark 3D - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. Super R-Type - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. Super Soccer - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. Sword of Hope II - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. Sword of Vermillion - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. Syndicate - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. The Jungle Book - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. The King of Fighters 98 - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. The Lost Vikings - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. The Simpsons - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. Tiny Toons: Buster's Hidden Treasure - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. Top Gear 2 - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. Weaponlord - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. Wiz 'n Liz - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. X-Men - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
260. Zero Wing - 0, 1 Honorable Mention

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
It would have been nice to have been able to play Final Fantasy 6, but unfortunately Square/Nintendo hated us Europeans back then for whatever reason.

AniHawk

and that's it. thanks to everyone who participated. this is as far back as i'm willing to go, but yoshi has expressed interest in earlier generations. i'm preparing for a gen 7 vote in spring of 2017.

TheMoon

Digging the Terranigma love. Really impressed that it made it this far overall, despite me missing the vote entirely! :)

Bonus Awards

Best Generation Exclusives (Games that have never been ported or remade from or to platforms in any other generation)
1. Terranigma

This is correct.

The well deserved number one. I'm glad it beat Zelda. Also Streets of Rage 2 is indeed one of the best Megadrive/Genesis games, even though the system should have arguably come in earlier than #10.
Great OP/artwork choice too.

Tizoc

Aw i forgot to vote
Not that t mattered
The nintendogaf are strong here and this just appears as a ho hum typical ranking if i ever saw one

Jucksalbe

Banned
Expected that Super Metroid win, though it's closer than I thought.

I remember Yoshi's Island always being held in much higher regard than Super Mario World, seems that changed with time.

Thanks for all your hard work, AniHawk!

Neat, can't say that top 3 comes across as a surprise by any stretch, this generation was a rather clear cut one compared to the other voting polls so far.
My boy DKC2 besting the original, all is right with the world and hopefully the current Nintendo game voting thread will follow through on that.

Shame there wasn't more votes but I guess this era is pretty long ago now I think about it, well hopefully GAF's younger generation can see what titles are worth checking out from what was a quality time for video games. Speaking of which I still need to play Doom.

Biggest surprise of the top 25 to me is Turtles in Time, wasn't expecting that to rank so highly.

Not a single vote for Out of this World/Another World? Damn GAF.

I guess I should've voted. :p
I should've given it an HM, not because I really like it but because it's always given me plenty of laughs with a friend.

Blobbers

If I wasn't too lazy to vote, I would've put A Link to the Past 1st, Earthbound 2nd and Chrono Trigger 3rd. Would that have meant the No.1 spot for ALttP? In which case a silent 'nooo'

antitrop

Doom making the list is very surprising to me. I mean, it's doom, I just figure most people played it on PC.

Edit: oh, thought this was just for SNES games.

jett

D-Member
Doom making the list is very surprising to me. I mean, it's doom, I just figure most people played it on PC.

Edit: oh, thought this was just for SNES games.

lol, that's what this list looks like, doesn't it. Def a bit too much nintendomination.

Eolz

Aw goddammit, forgot to vote, thought that was until the end of the month like the other threads.
Still, fantastic top! Hard to complain about the results.

Crayolan

Oh whoops, thought this ended at the end of the month like the other 2 votes going on now. Oh well. Pretty much all the gen 4 games I've played are near the top 10 anyway.

What an amazing bunch of games.

What's the best way to play Final Fantasy VI aka III in NA nowadays? Seems like there's a few different versions available.

Bonus Awards

1. Terranigma
2. Tetris Attack
3. Contra: Hard Corps
4. Alien Soldier
5. The Adventures of Batman & Robin
5. Aladdin
6. Demon’s Crest
7. Sunset Riders
8. The Revenge of Sinobi
9. Seiken Densetsu 3
10. NHL 94

Yeah, too bad I can't be bothered to hunt copies of these. Though the list arguably isn't correct. Demon's Crest is on Virtual Console and I'm pretty sure you can buy Alien Soldier and Shinobi on PC.

jett

D-Member
if nobody else shows up to vote for other games...^^

Yeah them's the breaks. :p

In all fairness, my own list would've been fairly biased towards the SNES as well.

Yeah, too bad I can't be bothered to hunt copies of these. Though the list arguably isn't correct. Demon's Crest is on Virtual Console and I'm pretty sure you can buy Alien Soldier and Shinobi on PC.

Well those are just roms.

Neifirst

What an amazing bunch of games.

What's the best way to play Final Fantasy VI aka III in NA nowadays? Seems like there's a few different versions available.

Probably Wii virtual console, which you can access through the Wii U as well. I'd really like to try Terranigma some day; shame it never got released on VC as an import title.

Heropon

Too bad I forgot to vote but I like the top so I'm not too stressed about it. Super Metroid is a game I always can return to and the same can be said about the others.

Toxi

Banned
All hail the queen. Super Metroid damn deserves this.

Most surprising thing for me is how low Sonic 3 and Knuckles is.

Oneself

Great job compiling all of this! Looking at that list, I forgot some gems when I first posted like Megaman X and Doom.

AniHawk

thanks for pointing it out - made a couple changes. i was basically relying on wikipedia.

KevinCow

Banned
Bah. DKC2 just out of the top 10. Some of those games I can accept being higher, but I will forever stand firm that DKC2 is a vastly superior platformer to Yoshi's Island.

i'm preparing for a gen 7 vote in spring of 2017.

Ooh, now there's something I can get excited about. I'm going to have so many honorable mentions in that one.

If I ever get to time travel I'll show this list to twelve year old me. We have won the 16 bit console wars.

And I will tell him to go play Super Metroid so I wouldn't have to be embarrassed to tell you all I still haven't...

Top Bottom