• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF GOTY 2021 |OT| Voting thread (Up: Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cormack12

Gold Member
Welcome to the NeoGAF 2021 GOTY voting thread

d2Y50B1.jpg

The format change has carried over so please read the thread. I know we have had quite a few new signups. It's not rocket science and will save you many questions. TL-DR merchants, the link to the form is at the bottom.

bloodbath-1.gif

Rules
Deadline:
Voting closes January 17th
Minimum votes: Games 1-3 are the only mandatory votes;

How long will it take me to fill in the form?
If you only vote for the three games:
~3-5 minutes
If you vote for all categories (no commentary): ~10 minutes
If you vote for all categories (with commentary): ~ 15-20 minutes (depending on thinking time)

Disqualified votes
Game spamming:
If you use the same game in more than one position, then your vote will be removed from the ballot count. Please bear this in mind for minimum votes above;

A game I want to vote for isn't listed
I tried to include the most common games, and even asked beforehand (also use this thread to get your votes in your head sorted). But if there is one you really want added let me know. It takes an hour to refresh after being added at most. I'll be honest I don't have a huge amount of spare time and this took some effort on it's own. As a result there will definitely be titles that I've missed off. So just drop them here or PM me and I'll add them. I'll ping you in thread with a mention when it's done. Please be sensible! If it's a niche game that is unlikely to be up there then there is a cost/benefit consideration to the time to update etc. Basically just try to mention 'big games' that are AWOL.

They will appear at the end of the list prefixed by an 'X'. Games added so far (only just added, so will appear within 60 minutes of post time):

X - Gears 5: Hivebusters

Can I post my list/choices in the thread?
Certainly. I've hosted it like this mainly for the automation. It makes the demands on my time less. But also, I feel it might actually throw up more authentic results without people getting a flavour for the 2/3 titles that are leading. Having said that, please do share your list or partial list if so inclined, with your thoughts on the games.

Why the three words?
It's hard when picking out an individual quote to really capture an entire communities thoughts, so I'm going to try and capture the most common thoughts from everyone to paint a broader picture. You can see the tag clouds from last year that were built and I'm sure you'll agree they are actually pretty cool. I think it's better that we get a collective feel rather than just picking one or two quotes from a single user.

Eligibility
  • Playable content released this year is eligible. This includes new games, remasters, ports, and so on. There is always a debate on this but ultimately if the content is appearing on the platform for the first time, it could be the first time certain players had the opportunity to play the title. It also provides a nice meta on the timeless quality of certain games, or the current thinking of modern games.
  • DLC, including expansion packs, are eligible to be voted on as long as it's playable.
  • Episodes of games released this year are eligible. In this case the votes will be amalgamated (e.g. different votes for LiS2 episodes will be grouped as LiS2)

Are Early Access games eligible?
No, Early Access, beta, demo, and Greenlight games are not eligible. PC games must reach full release, or version 1.0 in order to be eligible.

Can I update my vote?
As it's form based, no. You need to put your votes in one sitting.

Scoring
Scoring is based on user rankings on a simple ladder scale. Game in position 1 scores 10 points, game in position 2 scores 9 points...game in position 8 scores 2 points etc. There is no weighting in place as this feels like it creates an artifical way for popular games to overtake most liked games

Results
One month away and hopefully will get them up for the 18th January

Extra awards and updates
For the second year, we're trying out dedicated categories for genres. I've condensed them down just so we can trial it and see how it goes. This is maybe in response to saying people thought SMO may be a better game overall, but Celeste was a better platformer. It's beocming more difficult to seperate games or classify them as one genre these days so you may see games in two genres. The genre awards are set to:

- Action/Adventure
- Sports
- Fighting
- Shooter
- RPG (aRPG and tRPG/cRPG are in one category as the genre lines are very blurred anyway these days)
- Platformer

We've retained the category awards for this year as well, which are:
- Best graphical showcase;
- Best narrative/storyline;
- Award for best co-op/multiplayer game;
- Award for outstanding achievement in world building;

Lastly, I've tagged another category for fun, which is GAF's most anticipated game. The criteria isn't as hard as it used to be, just a list of the big titles that have strong indications they will drop next year. Don't take it to seriously, there's only about 12-15 games in there :)
- Most anticipated game

All of the above will have gold, silver, bronze awards.

Happy voting. Look forward to the results! And the discussions below!!

oLshkSV.gif

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Sweet, thanks as usual.

Picking the 10 isn't that hard this year, it's ordering the damn things. Not gonna fill this out until I've played It Takes Two with my partner over Christmas, though.

Moonjt9

Though this year may have felt barebones, some of the coolest games I’ve played in years came out this year. Had a blast with so many good games. Can’t wait to see the winners.

Bragr

Banned
Anyone who voted for some of those old ass games should be ashamed. Only 5% of the list was actual games from this year.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Got my vote in for Mass Effect Legendary Edition. Not "ashamed" one bit.

Last edited:

Rivet

My game of the year is Returnal too. A perfect mix of fast paced gameplay, mesmerizing visuals and intriguing story.

Sad and fascinating music fits like a glove too when you understand what it's about. Haptics add a lot to the immersion. Rock solid 60 fps even with tons of projectiles and monsters on screen. Unforgettable boss battles, like Hyperion. A mysterious universe and a unique sci fi world.

Deservedly action game of the year at TGA.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Top 3:

1. Monster Hunter Rise (Switch) - The only thing that managed to break my Animal Crossing Addiction (somewhat).
2. Moose Life (PS4): The perfect Llamasoft game and just pure bliss in arcade form.
3. Dusk (Switch): I grew up loving the FPS genre when I got exposed to Wolfenstein on the Zenith computers littered throughout my tiny school on a military base in Pusan. The last few generations of hardware have really run my love for the genre into the ground but along comes Dusk, which is like a love letter to some of my favorite games in the genre like quake. It also proves you don't need cutting edge visuals to create a well realized world. Everything about the game is pitch perfect except for the bosses. Had those have been better, this probably would have topped my list.

Mhmmm 2077

Some games are missing in the last question (what are we looking forward to), like Gotham Knights or Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League, but since there was Hogwarts: Legacy, I chose this, as I wait for that one a lot too.

Last edited:

Wunray

Been dealing with my backlog and only really played endwalker so I guess I won't be voting this year, can't wait to see the over all top three, my money is on Metroid taking it but returnal might bring the upset.

tommib

Welcome to the NeoGAF 2021 GOTY voting thread

d2Y50B1.jpg

The format change has carried over so please read the thread. I know we have had quite a few new signups. It's not rocket science and will save you many questions. TL-DR merchants, the link to the form is at the bottom.

bloodbath-1.gif

Rules
Deadline:
Voting closes January 17th
Minimum votes: Games 1-3 are the only mandatory votes;

How long will it take me to fill in the form?
If you only vote for the three games:
~3-5 minutes
If you vote for all categories (no commentary): ~10 minutes
If you vote for all categories (with commentary): ~ 15-20 minutes (depending on thinking time)

Disqualified votes
Game spamming:
If you use the same game in more than one position, then your vote will be removed from the ballot count. Please bear this in mind for minimum votes above;

A game I want to vote for isn't listed
I tried to include the most common games, and even asked beforehand (also use this thread to get your votes in your head sorted). But if there is one you really want added let me know. It takes an hour to refresh after being added at most. I'll be honest I don't have a huge amount of spare time and this took some effort on it's own. As a result there will definitely be titles that I've missed off. So just drop them here or PM me and I'll add them. I'll ping you in thread with a mention when it's done. Please be sensible! If it's a niche game that is unlikely to be up there then there is a cost/benefit consideration to the time to update etc. Basically just try to mention 'big games' that are AWOL.

They will appear at the end of the list prefixed by an 'X'. Games added so far (only just added, so will appear within 60 minutes of post time):

X - Gears 5: Hivebusters

Can I post my list/choices in the thread?
Certainly. I've hosted it like this mainly for the automation. It makes the demands on my time less. But also, I feel it might actually throw up more authentic results without people getting a flavour for the 2/3 titles that are leading. Having said that, please do share your list or partial list if so inclined, with your thoughts on the games.

Why the three words?
It's hard when picking out an individual quote to really capture an entire communities thoughts, so I'm going to try and capture the most common thoughts from everyone to paint a broader picture. You can see the tag clouds from last year that were built and I'm sure you'll agree they are actually pretty cool. I think it's better that we get a collective feel rather than just picking one or two quotes from a single user.

Eligibility
  • Playable content released this year is eligible. This includes new games, remasters, ports, and so on. There is always a debate on this but ultimately if the content is appearing on the platform for the first time, it could be the first time certain players had the opportunity to play the title. It also provides a nice meta on the timeless quality of certain games, or the current thinking of modern games.
  • DLC, including expansion packs, are eligible to be voted on as long as it's playable.
  • Episodes of games released this year are eligible. In this case the votes will be amalgamated (e.g. different votes for LiS2 episodes will be grouped as LiS2)

Are Early Access games eligible?
No, Early Access, beta, demo, and Greenlight games are not eligible. PC games must reach full release, or version 1.0 in order to be eligible.

Can I update my vote?
As it's form based, no. You need to put your votes in one sitting.

Scoring
Scoring is based on user rankings on a simple ladder scale. Game in position 1 scores 10 points, game in position 2 scores 9 points...game in position 8 scores 2 points etc. There is no weighting in place as this feels like it creates an artifical way for popular games to overtake most liked games

Results
One month away and hopefully will get them up for the 18th January

Extra awards and updates
For the second year, we're trying out dedicated categories for genres. I've condensed them down just so we can trial it and see how it goes. This is maybe in response to saying people thought SMO may be a better game overall, but Celeste was a better platformer. It's beocming more difficult to seperate games or classify them as one genre these days so you may see games in two genres. The genre awards are set to:

- Action/Adventure
- Sports
- Fighting
- Shooter
- RPG (aRPG and tRPG/cRPG are in one category as the genre lines are very blurred anyway these days)
- Platformer

We've retained the category awards for this year as well, which are:
- Best graphical showcase;
- Best narrative/storyline;
- Award for best co-op/multiplayer game;
- Award for outstanding achievement in world building;

Lastly, I've tagged another category for fun, which is GAF's most anticipated game. The criteria isn't as hard as it used to be, just a list of the big titles that have strong indications they will drop next year. Don't take it to seriously, there's only about 12-15 games in there :)
- Most anticipated game

All of the above will have gold, silver, bronze awards.

Happy voting. Look forward to the results! And the discussions below!!

oLshkSV.gif
Can you give all votes to the same game? Doesn’t sound ok to me.

Edit: you’re disqualified. Got it. It’s in the OP. No way to just take the option out?

Last edited:
Time to vote for stuff I haven't played

Bill Nye Nod GIF

Yeah, honestly all of the GOTY sentiment comes way too early. We should be waiting until late January to figure this out. It just becomes a game of voting for whatever you played, or whatever was hyped most and sounds like a good choice.

jaysius

Banned
Holy shit this was an awful year in gaming, only one real contender and it came out later in the year.

Guardians of the Galaxy is really the only really good game that came out all year.

Last edited:

DryvBy

FYI OP, you left off best shooter game: Hell Let Loose

By far my favorite game this year because I like the Arma series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom