• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf GOTY 2022 |OT| Results thread

Topher

Gold Member
Sony dick-sucking, as per usual on this forum.

Second year in a row a Sony game didn't win GOTY, but God of War: R placing fourth in the damn boxart award was GAF's downfall.

jennifer lawrence ok GIF

Last edited:

Jaybe

I was big into Multiversus for about five minutes, but they hurt the game a lot with some of their design choices. Only 4 players, no free for all modes, very limited stage selection and design, and worst of all IMO putting special move cooldowns in a fighting game. I get that you want the game to have a place in the fighting game community, but overall fun factor should have come first.
Need to add this popular character to bring the player base back
MLMjoAw.jpg

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Hell yeah, GT7!!! Was my personal GotY since I invested most of my gaming time to it last year, and still do at least one race almost daily. Such an addictive racing model.

Did not play ER last year, but playing it now and it's open world design is glorious. The whole game is really, a fantasy game dream come true.

Need to add this popular character to bring the player base back
MLMjoAw.jpg
The real character has been in the game since launch, and I'm guessing we won't be seeing a cosmetic "modern Velma" skin anytime soon, considering the general reception that show is getting from pretty much everyone.

Jinzo Prime

Second year in a row a Sony game didn't win GOTY, but God of War: R placing fourth in the damn boxart award was GAF's downfall.

jennifer lawrence ok GIF
I might have been a bit harsh 'cause I'm mad about it winning best OST.

I did vote for Horizon Forbidden West for best visual style, game is absolutely beautiful.

Overall I think these awards were just wars between screaming fanboys.

Must have been sucking massive Sony dick when Halo Infinite won GotY, eh?
Friday Movie GIF

All I know is there are a lot of loud Sony fanboys on this forum, who get 40+ reactions for hyping up PlayStation games. Maybe the Xbox guys are the silent majority, I don't know, I like PC and Nintendo anyway.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

I did vote for Horizon Forbidden West for best visual style, game is absolutely beautiful.

All I know is there are a lot of loud Sony fanboys on this forum, who get 40+ reactions for hyping up PlayStation games. Maybe the Xbox guys are the silent majority, I don't know, I like PC and Nintendo anyway.
I voted HFW for best soundtrack. That game's music and sound design are highly underrated, and overshadowed by the top tier visuals. The synthy sample mixes and mechanical sounds combined with old Celtic style fantasy music are fantastic.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

I think GAF is much more diverse on gaming front than a lot of people give it credit for. But yeah, fanboys are always loud.

2YtJag9.png

I'm an elden ring fan...greatest game of all time...but this...is egregious.

lol

zRDCYMY.png

Cracking Up Lol GIF

Jinzo Prime

I voted HFW for best soundtrack. That game's music and sound design are highly underrated, and overshadowed by the top tier visuals. The synthy sample mixes and mechanical sounds combined with old Celtic style fantasy music are fantastic.
I personally wanted Sonic Frontiers to win. Tomoya Ohtani and the rest of SEGA's music group really don't get enough recognition.

Fredrik

So happy to see Scorn in the top 5 in one category at least, surprise of the year for me after all the mid reviews.
Yo God of War won on best action and best adventure?

Respect neogaf you guys got class.

Still should have won GOTY too but I'll take what I can get.
I thought GOWR became too bloated with chatty slow sections, pacing just wasn’t good imo, but it did give me the best action for the year, loved the combat choices when juggling three very different weapons at once.

And Elden Ring was my best game of the year, has climbed my all time top list to #2, still playing it. So this was a great year from my perspective! After last year I really had no idea what to expect lol

As said above I just had a surprise in Scorn that I wish had been on more lists. It was a lovely and unique game I won’t forget about anytime soon.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
How is Horizon Forbidden West underrated?
Maybe as most of 2022 it was shit on for not being Elden Ring. Weirdly no other game was attacked with the same criteria. Posters here mocked it for the year and even making threads mocking that it won nothing in the Pope's Awards or GOTY. Add the only sales for it were from bundles argument (eventually debunked but most of these posters can be found in the ban tab at the bottom of this page).

Happy to see Elden Ring do so well although if you use the Jar cannon then u no it should have won best shooter but anywayz

and happy to see Xenoblade 3 take 3rd place also

I totally think Ragnarok deserves best voice acting as well but Gaf are u sure about giving Ragnarok "game that respects your time?" My biggest problem with the game was that it would disguise lengthy conversations about realms and prophecies as gameplay and you just gotta walk and listen and walk and listen, you can't skip it or do anything else

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Stray getting into to the top five indies of the year is sad. That it got second is just bleak. I thought you guys were supposed to be better than all the journalists you like to rag on daily but I've lost my faith in you.

Sad Season 1 Episode 1 GIF by NBC

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Some questionable results here on some of these categories. Hot damn.

At least game of the year was right on the money.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Honestly too many categories resulting in some cheap cop outs like soundtrack of the year which is just... yeah OK, I'm putting that down to people just voting either GoW or Elden Ring for everything (I would love to see the backend data on how many people did this)

I will admit I only voted for around 5 categories because I had a feeling the results would be like this, so voted Elden Ring or whatever on the Categories I believed they deserved

You can have games that are bad/average with outstanding soundtracks. You don't see people gushing on forums about Elden Ring's soundtrack, hell even in reviews it's hardly mentioned and if it is while praised it's not exactly something that stands out.

But you know what game did have something uttely special and consistantly excellent that every review mentions without fail and dedicates a portion of the review saying how great it is?

Darktide.

Excellent gunplay, GOTY music, bad overall live service experience. But it can never win in a popularity contest because people will block vote an overall great game, even in categories that it does not excel in.

I think we need to limit categories next year so that people actually put some effort into there thoughts. 5 would be ideal, 10 stretches it too much mental effort to be critical which resulted in me only voting on a few key area I could be bothered to think about... we had 25 to vote on.

Xenoblade 3 is certainly the most deserving for soundtrack on the choices on the board. Its certainly better than people voting Halo infinite due to its excellent not actually released at the time "Coop" experience though, like last year.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
How is Elden Ring there for voice acting?
It's nominated for every award. Gaf gave it best graphics.

https%3A%2F%2Fapptrigger.com%2Ffiles%2F2021%2F11%2FElden-Ring.jpg

Vs

XUVqtcy.gif

I knew labeling the award Best Visual Style would leave it open to interpretation with people voting for ER for best Art Direction instead of overall graphics fidelity. Which is funny because HFW has better art direction AND better graphics fidelity.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Now try to say that to Horizon creators releasing the first one next to BOTW and the second next to Elden Ring.
It's their fault. They couldve easily won GOTY if they had released it in a really weak 2021 year where it takes two was the big goty winner. HFW wouldve cleaned up had it released just a couple of months earlier.

But nope, they wasted 8 months fixing the PC version of HZD and thus werent able to spend it on getting HFW polished enough to release on time. They have no one but themselves to blame.

Fredrik

Now try to say that to Horizon creators releasing the first one next to BOTW and the second next to Elden Ring.
Yeah it’s kinda brutal really. And I have to admit that I still haven’t jumped back to it, I played it nonstop from the release to when Elden Ring released and then dropped it. It’s on my to-do list for 2023 now.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
the fact shredders revenge didnt even get NOMINATED for best OST is a fucking crying shame
Which is funny because HFW has better art direction AND better graphics fidelity.
yes, it has better graphics. but the areas are nowhere near as inspired and well crafted as in Elden Ring. If Caelid were a painting it would be considered one of the most valued art pieces of all time. can't say that for many of the environments seen in horizon

Bragr

Banned
I don't know about this. There need to be some restrictions to these awards lol. Everyone is just voting for the 3 games they played in every possible award.

Best voice acting Elden Ring lol.

Top Bottom