• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf GOTY Awards 2021 |OT| RESULTS

Bo_Hazem

Banned
faceofdisgust.png

Returnal is fantastic. Congratulations.

Once I was able to get over the loser mentally that game was too hard, I slowly began to appreciate what a masterpiece it is.

Back when it launched I thought I might never beat it. But now I have fully cleared the game like 20 times. And am just a trophy away from platinum.

Very few games achive this feeling of accomplishment for time spent playing. The Souls games and Monster Hunter series I guess are the closest. Where at first the challenge seems complete bullshit and impossible. But as long as you don't give up, you do learn and get better and better with each run. Until by the end you have made it your bitch.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Forza was robbed, blatantly given the heat map? Who the fuck posted "well written" "coop" & "nobugs" for Halo infinite?

Come on own up, we know you haven't played it.

Few surprises, Lost Judgement even making it on the list along with Tales of Arise shows how powerful those titles preformed even in the West. Hopefully they get to continue which is sadly not a sure thing with the Judgement series given the actors issues.

Last edited:

GinSama

Surprised with the first place… Didn’t play yet, although I really want to try. On the ot of the game looks like half liked and the other hated….

I’m glad Metroid is so high and Forza horizon
For me the best game on the list. Having a blast cruising the roads in Mexico.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Not exactly.
Looking only user lists Village is the GOTY followed by It Take Two and Forza Horizon 5.
What lists are you looking at?
I’m just going by some well known ones, GAF, IGN, TGA player’s choice. Halo on top and Forza is high up as well.

Anyhow, it’s users voting so it’s a popularity contest, and Microsoft has always had a userbase disadvantage but last year they didn’t and then they did better than previous years. That’s my conclusion. I don’t see anything weird in this list from that perspective.

ethomaz

Banned
What lists are you looking at?
I’m just going by some well known ones, GAF, IGN, TGA player’s choice. Halo on top and Forza is high up as well.

Anyhow, it’s users voting so it’s a popularity contest, and Microsoft has always had a userbase disadvantage but last year they didn’t and then they did better than previous years. That’s my conclusion. I don’t see anything weird in this list from that perspective.
People choice lists like GAF, IGN, TGA, etc.
There tracking for that:

Outside the 3 I listed others games are not receiving many user choice GOTY. For example Halo and Deathloop has only 6 that is less than half of what Forza has (15).

Village has 26. It takes Two 18.

Edit - Yiu added more… here in GAF poll. trend to favorite MS by a long shot… it is basically the most vocal fanbase here…. Nintendo is the biggest but most people keep neutral and don’t engage in these polls.

Last edited:

tommib

There tracking for that:

Outside the 3 I listed others games are not receiving many user choice GOTY. For example Halo and Deathloop has only 6 that is less than half of what Forza has (15).

Edit - Yiu added more… here in GAF poll. trend to favorite MS by a long shot… it is basically the most vocal fanbase here…. Nintendo is the biggest but most people keep neutral and don’t engage in these polls.
Metroid came out as 4th. How’s that not engaging?

Last edited:

Fredrik

There tracking for that:

Well, this is what I’m seeing for most GOTY votings on boards like GAF.

1. Exclusives on platforms with a big userbase
2. Big multiplats
3. Exclusives on platforms with a small userbase

This time Playstation went into that unfortunate third position where Xbox has been sitting for years, the big exclusives only came to PS5. Should be better this year when everything is PS4+PS5, unless PS4 drops in popularity.

And Xbox went into that nice first position, the big games came to XB1+XSX|S+PC.

And Nintendo is there too with a big Switch userbase.

RE Village, It Takes Two, Psychonauts 2 have bigger userbases but going by previous years exclusives always win unless they’re bad. Maybe I’m simplifying things but as of right now I really see nothing weird here at all tbh.

Petopia

Banned
Really halo infinite there mustve been more fanboys in here more than i thought, also i want to say that why virtua fighter as 2nd place nobody plays it or is playing it anymore.

Fredrik

Im currently playing through the whope saga and its not worth the amount its being right now.
I’ve never synced with the Halo fan base. I was never a fan of the original trilogy and from what I’ve heard Infinite is made for those fans, meanwhile the most hated game, Halo 4, is my favorite. I liked Halo 5 too 🤷‍♂️
I don’t play online though

Petopia

Banned
I’ve never synced with the Halo fan base. I was never a fan of the original trilogy and from what I’ve heard Infinite is made for those fans, meanwhile the most hated game, Halo 4, is my favorite. I liked Halo 5 too 🤷‍♂️
I don’t play online though
Its cause the game bit alot from warhammer 40k and starcraft those dudes were kids at the time and didn know any better.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Deathloop really not in the Top 20? That seems pretty bizarre.

Halo Infinite wasn't even especially great, it was just better than people expected, and a good comeback story so it had people rooting for it.

Bragr

Banned
Thanks for the effort in making this. The list turned out a lot better than I thought it would, I still think it's bizarre to have old ports on the list, but the top 10 is pretty legit. I am surprised Deathloop landed so low, and I feel like Monster Hunter Rise has gotten the short end of the stick since it was released earlier in the year.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Returnal is fantastic. Congratulations.

Once I was able to get over the loser mentally that game was too hard, I slowly began to appreciate what a masterpiece it is.

Back when it launched I thought I might never beat it. But now I have fully cleared the game like 20 times. And am just a trophy away from platinum.

Very few games achive this feeling of accomplishment for time spent playing. The Souls games and Monster Hunter series I guess are the closest. Where at first the challenge seems complete bullshit and impossible. But as long as you don't give up, you do learn and get better and better with each run. Until by the end you have made it your bitch.
I love Returnal I'm so good at it now but when I 1st played it I died so many times I probably had like over 100 deaths but now I've beaten the game like 4 times

Amiga

Interesting. We could also say this is kind of a survey of the current GAF base.

Surprised Gradians of the Galaxy is #1 in narrative. Guess I need to get over my hate for this pretender team and try it.

Returnal high in multiple categories. Always felt Housemarque were an amazingly talented studio that just needed an investment to take them to the AAA field. Also Psychonauts, MS better not get lost in their big acquisitions and forget about Double Fine.

Tales of Arise is #20 but still a big step up from the small niche the franchise used to be in.

Fredrik

We could also say this is kind of a survey of the current GAF base.
In what way?

I’m just surprised to see this thread being so inactive. Slowest one yet. Are people agreeing with the results? or maybe the thread title isn’t clear enough that the results are in?

I’m just surprised to see this thread being so inactive. Slowest one yet. Are people agreeing with the results? or maybe the thread title isn’t clear enough that the results are in?
I wish the goty threads were more active. A guy suicided his account, got banned in a few minutes on the 1st page, and the thread is 5 pages now :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Amiga

Came out late. similar discussions happened in other GOTY threads that started over 2 months ago. News cycles are first come first serve.

Results look great to me. Halo Infinite was a blast to play, much better than the last couple Halo games but also good on it's one thanks to the gameplay itself being even more fun than I thought it would be. Horizon 5 was surprising to see, I absolutely love it and am still playing it a lot but racers rarely get much love. Never played Returnal, maybe once it's on PC. Dread is a nice return to 2D Metroid that I have yet to play but my brothers have both played with decent enough reviews. Psychonauts 2 was a really fun game full of shit to do, 100%ing the game was worth doing. It Takes Two was probably my GOTY outside FH5. So creative in how it handles two players but also with the sheer amount of gameplay it constantly throws at you.

2021 was a pretty good year for gaming.

I wish the goty threads were more active. A guy suicided his account, got banned in a few minutes on the 1st page, and the thread is 5 pages now :messenger_grinning_sweat:

I thought it was still the voting thread, I got so used to seeing it up there I stopped looking :messenger_grinning_sweat:

bender

What time is it?
My top three didn't crack the top twenty. Only really surprised about Rise. PC GAF better pick up the slack this year.

soniamdisappoint.jpg

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Congratulations to 343 / XGS, remarkable to see Halo get the top spot around here, but well deserved, imo. Personally, would have liked it takes two to be a bit higher up the list, but there are a couple in the top ten I didn't play, so I can't be definitive.

I wish I could know 2022s result right now.

Last edited:

Alan Wake

Great list and great OP. Halo Infinite was my GOTY too, and I had not expected that at the beginning of last year. I had my own small favourites, like the 2D platformer Kaze and the Wild Masks, that obviously didn't come close to any GOTY lists out there. But a decent top 20 here at NeoGAF nevertheless!

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Completely forgot to vote, but yeah Seems like a pretty good list I suppose.

just completed halo infinite and I thought it was brilliant on heroic, such a great return to form for the series. My issue with it was only an overall feeling of polish which I thought would Be better. Seems like there’s some strange frame pacing every now and again and no VRR which I don’t understand for a first party game. Seems to need a few patches just to sharpen things up. As for playability and overall fun of the game it was absolutely brilliant and I quite enjoyed the story tbh, can’t wait for co op.

glad returnal got some love too, such an amazing game.

can’t really argue with anything, it’s just opinions all calculated together right?

I guess my only issue is that I don’t think directors cuts or ultimate editions etc should be allowed but hey, what do I know? Lol

Last edited:

L0GIKILL

Neo Member
Most Anticipated game
02TOAcY.png

Best Graphics
NGl7Su7.png

Best Narrative
Jd49Yex.png

Best World Building
56Yex4w.png

Top Action Adventure