• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Official SEGA SATURN Community

cireza

Banned
RfymIF0l.jpg

QqKfBBLl.jpg

bfsit2Ll.jpg

sN4AGdwl.jpg

Tomb Raider 2 is coming to Sega Saturn! Well, sort of. But how amazing is that?

YouTube user JRTombRaider has been working on a special project: adapting the original Tomb Raider engine to bring its Sony-exclusive sequel to Sega's 32-bit console. However, this is listed as "E3 Demo," which suggests that it may be a recreation of only a few stages from an early demo of the PlayStation TR2 from 1997. Does this mean that JR only intends to adapt these three stages to Saturn, or will he be translating the complete videogame? I must admit that I don't know which is correct, although I am obviously hoping for the latter.

JR previously worked on adapting the PC-exclusive Tomb Raider stages for Saturn last year, but that project has been paused since. I would surely love to see both projects completed, if just so we can enjoy as much Tomb Raider as we possibly can.

Here are JR's notes from his YouTube video that he posted in April:

And here is the YouTube video showing the TR2 stages in action. It looks amazing so far:

I'd really enjoy more Tomb Raider on Saturn, be it TR2 or the PC stages he was working on previously.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus

The Sega Guys have posted a new video on their YouTube channel offering twelve great bargain titles for your Sega Saturn. This list was created with the PAL territories in mind, but it’s a worthy list for any region. Indeed, I think that if you only collected these dozen videogames for your Saturn, you would be very happy indeed.

The list of ten affordable Saturn titles is as follows:

- Panzer Dragoon
- Exhumed/Powerslave
- Nights: Into Dreams
- Street Fighter Alpha 2
- Last Bronx
- Wipeout 2097/Wipeout XL
- Fighters Megamix
- Virtua Cop 2
- Daytona USA
- Athlete Kings/Decathlete
- Virtua Fighter 2
- Sega Rally Championship

Overall, this is an excellent place to start building your Saturn library. Kudos for including Powerslave and Wipeout XL, two of my absolute favorites.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

Tunnel B-1 is a futuristic first-person vehicle shooter where you race a low-riding vehicle across a series of industrial districts, dark alleyways and underground tunnels. It all has a dystopian score-fi groove in its bones, and the thundering soundtrack by Turrican legend Chris Huelsbeck reminds me immediately of movies like Total Recall and Robocop.

This title was the creation of German developers Neon Software and was released to Sony PlayStation and PC in October 1996 before arriving on Sega Saturn in January 1997. It certainly fits the style of Western videogames of the period, with dark colors, moody atmosphere and an avalanche of colored lighting effects. It was received with a somewhat warm ut muted reception from gaming magazines and critics, who praised the art design while also criticizing the repetitive gameplay.

Essentially, you race along in a vehicle equipped with machine guns and grenades and race down tunnels and sewers, destroying everything in sight, opening up locked gates, collecting weapon upgrades and searching for the exit. The missions rarely change, and the overall feel is closer to combat shooters like AMOK and Mass Destruction than Doom or Duke Nukem. Your craft hugs close to the ground, and this is a common sticking point for most players, although I feel it has a certain dreamlike quality that is engaging. I only wish this game was compatible with the Saturn racing wheel controller, which would have been perfect (it feels like you’re riding a motorcycle, with its sharp tilts and turns).

This Saturn conversion looks excellent, certainly a 3D showpiece for the system. The polygon landscapes are stable and solid, textures are sharply detailed, and the reframe rate is buttery smooth. The background fade-in is very smooth (arguably a touch smoother than on PSX) and the action never chugs or lags. The software team responsible for this version did an excellent job, and it does demonstrate how third party studios were able to exploit Saturn successfully by 1997. Unfortunately, this was long past the point where anybody was looking, as Saturn’s rough early days doomed the console’s reputation, to our endless chagrin.

The lighting effects are the real star of the show, and it’s this area where PSX and Nintendo 64 shine, and while Saturn is not as well respected, in the right hands we can see amazing results. The explosion flashes and multicolored mood lighting is very solid and even gives Lobotomy a run for their money, while many of the lights are handled via mesh transparencies. Once again, I will remind you how this looks with composite cables and a CRT display, which is why I’ve posted the YouRube video at the top of this review. Under those conditions, you see the graphics as the designers intended them to be seen, and the result is smooth and effective, if only a little watered down when compared to Sony’s alpha blending. By 2023 standards, this is a big nothing burger, which is why I always harp on the subject, but the overall point that Tunnel B-1 looks great on Saturn.

In the end, the gameplay is what makes or breaks the experience, and this game remains very much a “style over substance” experience. There’s nothing wrong with the action or the challenge, it just all feels the same from one stage to the next. Your goals and objectives never really change, and you’re always running through the same tunnels and sewers. This is a game that’s best suited for short runs and quick arcade bursts.

I would still recommend picking up a copy of this game, as prices are very reasonable, and Saturn fans always need another quality 3D polygon title to show off.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

Here are a pair of gameplay videos from the undisputed kings of videogame baseball: Sega’s World Series Baseball 98, and the Japanese exclusive Greatest Nine 98 Summer Action.

Eveey Saturn owner should have a copy of WSB 98, and there’s really nothing more that needs to be said at this point. Every element of the presentation and gameplay is perfect and the batter’s quadrant system remains absolutely untouched. It stands proudly among NHL 94, NBA Jam TE, Sensible World of Soccer, Track ‘N Field and whichever NFL 2K is your personal favorite (2K2 for Dreamcast fans, 2K5 for everyone else).

Summer Action 98 adds widescreen mode, improved polygon models and little touches like animated stadium crowds. The gameplay is thankfully untouched, and if you want to play Japanese baseball teams, this is the title to get. Why this franchise never continued to Dreamcast remains a mystery for the ages.

SpiceRacz

Sega were wizards with sports games. They understood the balance of simulation/realism and arcade-y, approachable gameplay better than anyone. I think that's what really set their sports games apart. You didn't need to be a fan of that particular sport to enjoy their games. I would challenge anyone to find a better baseball game from that generation that WSB98. Everything across PS1 and N64 mostly plays like shit. It's a shame that WSB didn't carry on, but I like to think it was sacrificed for Virtua Tennis - Maybe Sega's best sports game.

Phobos Base

The Sega Guys have posted a new video on their YouTube channel offering twelve great bargain titles for your Sega Saturn. This list was created with the PAL territories in mind, but it’s a worthy list for any region. Indeed, I think that if you only collected these dozen videogames for your Saturn, you would be very happy indeed.

The list of ten affordable Saturn titles is as follows:

- Panzer Dragoon
- Exhumed/Powerslave
- Nights: Into Dreams
- Street Fighter Alpha 2
- Last Bronx
- Wipeout 2097/Wipeout XL
- Fighters Megamix
- Virtua Cop 2
- Daytona USA
- Athlete Kings/Decathlete
- Virtua Fighter 2
- Sega Rally Championship

Overall, this is an excellent place to start building your Saturn library. Kudos for including Powerslave and Wipeout XL, two of my absolute favorites.

Exhumed/Powerslave is a great one, glad it's finally getting the recognition it deserves. Although these days I'd rather play the remaster, wish I still had the patience of my younger self who would do those levels with no checkpoints.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

Why am I not playing Last Bronx more often?! Why am I not playing right now?! What is wrong with me?! This is one of those great videogames that pulls you into its gravitational field and will never let you go, demanding to consume your entire world and every second of your spare time. And for a system blessed with so many fantastic 3D fighting games, that's really saying something.

YoVideogames recorded a terrific gameplay video where a group of rowdy boys stomp and cheer over one another, and so I had to share it here. They also published a number of Saturn videos that are well worth watching. For me, this is the quintessential experience of videogames: a group of family and friends crowded together on a couch, taking turns playing while also scarfing down pizza, sodas and beer. I have many cherished memories of weekends spent this way, and for me, this is the reason why this medium exists. The idea of a bloated, sickly manchild hunched over a keyboard in his basement, wasting away in Margaritaville, seems almost like a sacrilege.

I also wanted to share this excellent video on Last Bronx by our beloved Kim Justice, whose videogame documentaries are the most entertaining and engaging from the British side of the aisle. I can easily spend an afternoon listening to his/her videos, and highly recommend that you subscribe to their YouTube channel if you haven't already. And can we please pool some money together to buy Kim a Saturn and a ton of games? This seems long overdue to me.

For me, personally, Last Bronx always finds itself sitting on the shelf when it should be getting played, and I honestly don't have a good explanation for that. Perhaps it's that I reach for Fighters Megamix or Fighting Vipers first? And there is also Anarchy in the Nippon, a personal favorite that I deeply love, even though it is, by all rights, less polished and accomplished than either LB or Tecmo's Dead or Alive. What can I say? The heart wants what it wants. But there is also love and affection for this title, one that surely deserved far more success than it received in the West.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

The Japanese release of Last Bronx includes a second "bonus disc" that features a comprehensive tutorial system for the game's eight main characters. This includes extensive video demonstrations of basic moves, techniques and combos. It also includes a great amount of voice acting, which is probably the main reason why this disc was left out of the Western releases (as Saturn was all but dead by this point). Thanks to YouTube, you can watch all of these tutorial videos here.

Fortunately, the JP edition of Last Bronx is still very affordable, selling in the $20 range, while the US release goes for $45-$60. Aside from the bonus disc, the only changes between East and West are the requirements for unlocking the final boss character and the many "joke" weapons. The JP package also includes a fold-out poster with a complete moves list, which is something that the US packaging always overlooks. Why Sega of America believed kids wanted to "figure it out themselves" is a mystery for the ages, but this is Sega we're talking about.

Watching these tutorials gives you a real appreciation for the depth and sophistication of Last Bronx's fighting engine, which follows the Virtua Fighter formula perfectly. One nice addition is the use of "feint" moves, or "guard cancel" as it's known in the VF community. This involves pressing the guard button in the early frames of an attack, which causes a fighter to pull back their punch or kick. This can be used to psyche out an opponent and draw them out. If they are expecting a flurry of punches, a well-timed feint may draw them out and lower their guard just long enough to land a punch or throw (this game follows VF's rock-paper-scissors style of attacking-throwing-blocking).

Another feature of guard cancel is to speed up "canned" combos. For example (and this is shown in the tutorials), there is a slight pause after a short punch combo. However, if you use the guard cancel, you can greatly shorten that recovery time, thus allowing you to add more attacks. Sega's fighting games require much more thought when it comes to stringing attacks, compared to the usual button-mashing style that is common to the genre (I'm looking at you, Eddy Gordo). This allows for greater improvisation and freedom but also requires mastery of your character's moves, as well as understanding that rock-paper-scissors style. The learning curve is steep but the rewards are well worth it.

I really wish this bonus disc was included in the Western release of Last Bronx, if only to show gamers how these games were meant to be played. Nobody every really showed them how Sega fighting games work, and that was one key reason why the company struggled to achieve more than cult status while the arcades were dominated by Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Killer Instinct and especially Tekken. The beautiful thing about Sega Saturn is how nearly all the system's 3D fighting games follow the Virtua Fighter style, so skills learned in one game will transfer to another, with relatively minor variations between titles. That really does help cement this era, as we never see the likes of Last Bronx, Fighting Vipers, Anarchy in the Nippon and Zero Divide again. Only Dead or Alive managed to continue with two more highly polished sequels before falling into obscurity.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

Metal Slug is one of Sega Saturn's finest 2D videogames and easily the best run-and-gun shooter on the system. It's one of those great arcade thrill rides that were widely popular in the 1980s and all but died by the mid-nineties, but was thankfully revived on the Neo-Geo. This home conversion, however, suffers from extensive slowdown in busier moments, and while this also happens on the arcade and Neo-Geo CD, it seems to be a little worse here.

There are some fans who insist that Saturn Metal Slug is ideally suited for the 1MB RAM cartridge, as opposed to the Pro Action Replay cartridge that enables 4MB expansion, and that the latter is really responsible for the extra slowdown. This has become almost a matter of faith online, but something that has never been properly tested. Now, we finally have a chance to compare and see for ourselves.

This YouTube video shows the game running with the 1MB and 4MB carts, and you are free to decide if there are any noticeable differences between the two. After several viewings, I must admit that I cannot tell any difference between the two. Both have slowdowns at the same moments, usually during boss battles and when there are massive explosions, and sometimes in less crowded moments like the appearance of the enemy tanks in stage one and the boats in stage two. Again, most of these incidents also occur in the arcade original, and we must remind ourselves that Nazca, the software developers, pushed SNK's 16-bit hardware to its absolute limits. The amount of sprite animation in this videogame is tremendous.

As someone who grew up on video and computer games in the 1980s, and especially lived through those early Super Nintendo days, slowdown is something that I can live with, although I remain somewhat grouchy about it. I certainly don't think Metal Slug should be defined by it, but it is an issue and it's one of those things you'll have to live with.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

Time for some much-needed Tomb Raider love, so here is a gameplay video of the first stage on a 1995 Magnavox CRT television. Am I wrong to believe the original was the best of them all? That sense of mystery, isolation and wonder, that sense that anything can happen around the next corner, it all so perfectly defines the Tomb Raider experience, and nothing else has ever quite captured it so well, certainly not the later sequels and franchise reboots. Maybe Minecraft comes close in its better moments? Who can say?

In any case, here is a chance to enjoy the Sega Saturn version, which never got enough love, despite having a richer color palette, more dramatic lighting, and those brilliant VDP2 water effects over its Sony PlayStation and PC cousins. I do wish Core had spent a little more time refining the graphics engine, so that the frame rate wouldn't dip in the larger open environments, but such is the fate of pioneering works. Heck, the high and holy Super Mario 64 only runs at 20fps and offers basic geometry in its worlds, while Tomb Raider packs far greater details and far more complex landscapes.

This Japanese release is called "Tomb Raiders" for no reason whatsoever and offers a dubbed soundtrack over the original audio, but it's otherwise identical to the US NTSC release. Both are revised editions from the "beta" PAL release, which was famously rushed out the door in order to secure a timed Saturn exclusive that ended up making little difference anyway. Oh, well.

Anyone have any experience with the backup carts or those action replay ones that do a similar job for save files? Pulled the Saturn out recently to find my saves wiped, annoying as I changed the battery just a couple of years ago so assumed it would be fine for a good while. Not looking forward to going through the early dungeons of Shining the Holy Ark again.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

Anyone have any experience with the backup carts or those action replay ones that do a similar job for save files? Pulled the Saturn out recently to find my saves wiped, annoying as I changed the battery just a couple of years ago so assumed it would be fine for a good while. Not looking forward to going through the early dungeons of Shining the Holy Ark again.

My experience is limited to the Pro Action Replay cartridge, so hopefully someone else can chime in with the newer Pseudo Saturn Kai to see how it compares. I owned a PAR for over a decade and never had any issues with losing game saves. The Saturn's backup battery, however, will have a limited shelf life. It's usually a few years long, but if you let your console sit in a shelf for a long period of time, that battery may die own prematurely. And so we must accept the possibility of losing valuable game saves--I've had this happen to me with Powerslave a while ago, and fortunately, I love that game enough to want to play through it all again.

The PAR cartridge will not save directly when playing, so you must first save to the backup battery, then transfer to the cartridge. It's a slight irritation, but given all of the wonderful qualities of that cartridge--region override, game saves, cheat codes (you need a cheat code to play US Panzer Saga on a JP Saturn), 1MB/4MB RAM upgrade. For all of those benefits, I have learned to move save files back and forth between system and cart before playing.

Pseudo Saturn Kai, of course, has the added advantage of playing backup discs, and that cannot be discounted. Your other options: the Phantom chip board, which is installed and soldered to the hardware; and the venerated "disc swap" trick, which works better on a Model 2 Saturn, and may or may not cause damage to the laser on your disc drive. I did own a Model 1 Saturn whose drive gave out, although my Model 2 Saturn lasted over a decade without incidents. So, as always, your mileage may vary.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

Core's Thunderstrike 2 is the late 1995 sequel to the beloved Sega CD combat shoot-em-up. You control an armored helicopter equipped with machine guns and missiles and are set loose upon a series of military strikes against various hot spots around the globe. The action is fierce and fast, controls are very swift and responsive, and the action is highly satisfying in that classic arcade style. There are a number of helicopter shooters on Saturn, and I would say this one is the best, although Virgin's Black Dawn and Electronic Arts' Soviet Strike also have their charms.

I found this gameplay video that also features the Saturn's analog Mission Stick, which does for combat sims what the Racing Wheel does for driving games. Playing with digital controls is fine if that is your only choice, but it's very clear this game was designed around that joystick. Give this one a try and you'll find yourself having a great time. This videogame was also released on Sony PlayStation and both versions are essentially identical, aside from the PSX polygon wobbling. But Saturn has analog control, and in the end, that makes all the difference.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

Scorcher, the futuristic racing game created by Zyrinx and published by Scavenger, is a fantastic visual feast for Sega Saturn. You can tell this videogame is the work of diehard demoscene coders, as they pull off a supremely solid graphics engine filled with textured color and stylized shading and lighting effects. It's easily one of the most impressive titles for the system, at least where the visuals are concerned. The gameplay? Well...that's where things become a bit more challenging. You control a motorbike that is encased inside a skeletal green ball, and the way your vehicle handles is much closer to, say, Marble Madness than Manx TT or Sega Rally. You are subject to floaty jumps and bouncy physics which, when combined with a third-person view that places your bike far into the screen, makes it a challenge just to stay on the road. For most gamers and critics alike, the learning curve was simply too steep and the game quickly fell into obscurity as a result. It's a great example of a tech demo disguised as a proper videogame.

YouTube channel Gameplay and Talk dedicates an episode to Scorcher, and it's very welcome and enjoyable to watch. You're getting a thorough examination of the game from a dedicated fan, one who spent the time to learn how to properly ride your vehicle, even showing the advantages of its ball physics. When in the hands of a skilled player, this game is quite a sight to behold.

From my own experience, I could never get very far, but there was always something about Scorcher that made me want to try again and just put in the effort. To my surprise, I discovered that the racing wheel controller helped tremendously, and this game really does benefit from the addition of analog steering. I suppose once I would learn to take my finger off the gas pedal and use the brake once in a while, I would be even more successful. This is surely a strong candidate for "hidden gem" status on the Saturn, and goodness knows the system is already overflowing with those.

Seriously, give this one a go, and be persistent. Put in the time and effort and see if it doesn't grow on you. You might just be surprised.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

Now here is a Sega Saturn hidden gem that I’m sure you’ve never seen before. This is Puzzle & Action: Nidoarukoto wa Sand-R, or Puzzle & Action: Treasure Hunt as it was known in the West. This is the third and final installment in a series that was preceded with P&A: Tant-R and Ichidant-R. It features the two colorful geometric characters from Sega’s arcade game Buster Brothers, and is a series of rapid-fire minigames featuring off-beat, surrealist humor. In other words, this is Sega’s answer to Wario Ware, or, to be more accurate, Wario aware is Nintendo’s answer to this.

According to Wikipedia, this videogame was released to Japanese arcades on 1995, brought home in 1996, and even saw an appearance in North American arcades in 1997.

There is a fair amount of Japanese text, but once you accept that figuring out just what to do is half the fun (just like WW), you won’t be held back by the language barrier. This game has a very unique, goofy charm, pure classic Sega, which makes it a must-have for all Saturn fans.

Thankfully, the US arcade version is available on YouTube. If anybody out there wants to create an English translation patch, here you go.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

Here’s a very good gameplay video of Sega Touring Car Championship. This remains a very controversial title on Saturn (right up there with Sonic R on the love-hate scale), but players today have a better understanding of the game's highly demanding driving engine, specifically, learning to master analog steering (ideally with the arcade racing wheel) and manual transmission. This video also shows extensive use of breaking and taking turns at the proper speeds, while barreling through at full speed will always result in wipeouts.

I do wish this videogame was more polished, that the polygon warping wasn’t there and the frame rate was higher. But at least everything looks good when driving at top speeds. If Sega had managed to polish the graphics (why the Sega Rally engine wasn’t used is a mystery for the ages, but, hey, this is Sega) and added more courses, they could have had something to compete against the almighty Gran Turismo. Imagine that.

Still, being rough around the edges yet hiding depths of quality gameplay is what Sega Saturn is all about. It’s like the company was actively trying to become the Velvet Underground.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

Now this is something special: a complete gameplay video of House of the Dead, featuring two players with light guns, recorded from a CRT television with s-video output. There is a slight smudginess and video compression in the image, but the picture quality is very good and you can easily see the inherent smoothing that picture tube TVs provide. From my own experience, I can attest that this videogame looks terrific via composite, and it's a rush to see a retro gun game in action. It's never the same experience when using a cursor with a joypad.

HotD was pretty harshly criticized over the years, owing mostly to the low-resolution "Minecraft" textures. Bear in mind that software developers Tantalus (the brilliant minds behind Wipeout, Manx TT and Wipeout XL) were given only three months--less than half a normal development cycle--before Sega rushed it to store shelves. Considering just little time they had to work, this conversion is nothing less than astonishing. The speed and action of the arcade is fully present, as well as the polygon environments and its many varied locales. This is one of the best demonstrations of 3D graphics on Saturn, and if they were given proper time to replace the "placeholder" textures, this game might have stood as Saturn's finest Model 2 arcade translation.

This game is almost freakishly difficult, even with two players present, with monsters attacking without warning from every conceivable direction. The original Virtua Cop appears quite sedate and relaxed by comparison. There is a relentless tension present here, a ferocious pace that grabs you by the throat and never lets go. It's quite a rush and there's nothing like it anywhere else.

Seriously, HotD is one of Sega Saturn's most underrated games. It deserves equal standing alongside the two Virtua Cops for sheer entertainment value. It's too bad that Sega had such a nasty habit of rushing unfinished software out the door, but that's what happens when the company is bleeding money. It all adds to their "doomed rock star" mystique.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

FunCom's Impact Racing is one of my favorite Sega Saturn racing games, one that manages to click all my important boxes: fast arcade action, a thrilling sense of speed, wanton violence and lots of pretty explosions. Its fusion of racing and combat remind me of two legends of the genre, Atari Games' seminal Roadblasters and Bally Midway's Spy Hunter, as well as the multiplayer combat mode from San Francisco Rush 2049 on Sega Dreamcast. As far as I'm concerned, there aren't nearly enough of these sort of videogames to go around. We need more.

This title features an extremely smooth graphics engine, with detailed colorful environments, impressive car models and a very long draw distance. The road is a bit narrow, but that only adds to the tension. The idea is not merely to win races but destroy a set quota of enemy cars. Doing so sends you to a bonus round, where you will be awarded weapon upgrades if you destroy a set number of targets. After a couple stages, you will quickly realize that these power-ups are essential to your survival, as the opposing cars become stronger, more resilient and more capable of putting the hurt on you.

The stages can become a bit repetitive, but the same can be said of most 1980s arcade videogames, and Impact Racing can certainly stand tall with the best of them. This title was also released on Sony Playstation, and both versions are identical, aside from the PSX polygon zig-zags. Indeed, with its fast frame rate and nice transparency effects (all drawn with VDP2 sprites), this more closely resembles something you'd find on Nintendo 64, which only goes to show you that what Sega needed was not necessarily better hardware, but better programmers.

This one is still affordable, so I highly recommend you pick up a copy before collectors discover it and prices skyrocket.

Phobos Base

Here’s a very good gameplay video of Sega Touring Car Championship. This remains a very controversial title on Saturn (right up there with Sonic R on the love-hate scale), but players today have a better understanding of the game's highly demanding driving engine, specifically, learning to master analog steering (ideally with the arcade racing wheel) and manual transmission. This video also shows extensive use of breaking and taking turns at the proper speeds, while barreling through at full speed will always result in wipeouts.

I do wish this videogame was more polished, that the polygon warping wasn’t there and the frame rate was higher. But at least everything looks good when driving at top speeds. If Sega had managed to polish the graphics (why the Sega Rally engine wasn’t used is a mystery for the ages, but, hey, this is Sega) and added more courses, they could have had something to compete against the almighty Gran Turismo. Imagine that.

Still, being rough around the edges yet hiding depths of quality gameplay is what Sega Saturn is all about. It’s like the company was actively trying to become the Velvet Underground.

My issue with this game is that it feels like an arcade racer with a sim racer learning curve, I can see why so many people gave up on it. My copy still has the instructions on how to join the STC Global Net competition, where you'd get a password to send in your best times. I better get practising though, I've only got until 25 December 1997 to enter.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

I just watched PandaMonium's new documentary on Sega and their now-infamous FY 1997 business report. This video is excellent, and am I wrong to feel it cuts short and should add another hour? It does a great job of showing the heavy wounds Sega of America inflicted upon itself. We all knew about 32X, which was an interesting idea (Sega really needed some way to compete against Nintendo after Donkey Kong Country), but the price was far too high, software development was taken away from Saturn (Virtua Racing and Doom are the obvious examples), and it burned bridges with consumers so badly that the company never recovered.

But let's also note that Sega's finances were in terrible condition. Despite the success of Genesis, they were taking on huge debts, were sitting on mounds of unsold inventory, and there was an obsession with constantly selling new hardware in search of the "next big thing." Kalinske's people still operated under the assumption they were working in the toy business, while the videogame business was evolving in a different and much more stable direction. You don't need a new product every single year to compete, you need stability and consistency for software developers and consumers alike.

One key topic that this video overlooks, and it's one that has fallen down the memory hole: 3DO. Sega of America spent much of 1995 and early 1996 trying to purchase The 3DO Company in order to obtain their powerful 64-bit M2 hardware. This has been documented in newspapers and trade press, but nobody ever really connected all the dots. Namely, Kalinske and Company wanted to replace the Saturn entirely with a new console, intended to be released alongside Nintendo 64, which is when Generation 5 began to take off. These plans fell through, as Matsushita, the owners of 3DO, wanted to license out their hardware and not partner exclusively with Sega.

What kills the Saturn from a business perspective is cost: even at its most streamlined model 2, the console can't be sold for less than $300 without taking losses. At that time, the "mass market" price for videogame systems was $149. You're going against not only Nintendo, who single-handedly revived the US videogame business, but Sony, a consumer electronics giant that owns manufacturing plants, has fingers in the music and movie industries, and is worth $60 billion. All they would need to do to kill Sega was initiate a price war, and that's precisely what happened. PlayStation launched in September 1995 at $299, in June 1996 the price dropped to $199, and in March 1997, that price dropped again to $149--hitting that coveted mass market price only 18 months after launch. Needless to say, once Sega is forced to drop Saturn's price to $199, they begin hemorrhaging money and they are effectively doomed. This is why the company attempted a merger with Bandai, the failure of which cost Hayao Nakayama his job, and why Sega scrambled with software releases on PC and their SegaSoft label, which was rumored to be releasing software titles on PlayStation. They were desperate for revenue and were practically begging on the street for pocket change.

It's interesting to note that, by 1995, Nakayama, who headed Sega of Japan, was the only major executive who wanted to remain in the hardware business. Isao Okawa, the chairman of the board at CSK, Sega's holding company, wanted out, as did Sega of America, who saw the writing on the wall with rising costs of business (videogame budgets would explode during Generation 5), the introduction of Sony, and especially the arrival of Microsoft--once Windows 95 dropped, you knew in your bones that a home console was all but inevitable. Sega was now a very small fish in a very, very large ocean, competing against corporations that could just buy them out completely for the price of a sandwich.

Ultimately, the only thing that could have saved Sega was if their software titles were big hits. Unfortunately, that never happened, and the kids just weren't interested in Sega anymore. Poor relations with retailers surely helped a lot--just look at those numbers of demo kiosks in stores, ouch--and that staggered early Saturn launch was a disaster that almost equaled 32X. But they had the videogames. Virtua Fighter 2, Sega Rally, Virtua Cop, Panzer Dragoon, World Series Baseball, Worldwide Soccer--all of these deserved to sell millions. These are stone-cold classics. Yet, nothing, nada.

Bernie Stolar gets the blame from Sega diehards for that one line in an EGM interview, but how was he wrong? By May 1997, the Saturn was dead in the water. It had no future. And he was stuck with the unpleasant task of piecing together a company that had been smashed by the previous administration, had to staunch the bleeding as best he could, and rebuild the company's brand. Overall, he did an excellent job. The quality of software releases improved greatly, the Sega Sports brand was steadily rebuilt and, at long last, Sega learned to bring software developers in-house instead of outsourcing everything (buying Visual Concepts may be Stolar's greatest achievement). Most importantly, he was crucial in building software support for Dreamcast, including the 56K modem with the hardware, and selling the system for $199 in September 1999.

Another important thing to note during this time is that the US videogame industry suffered a severe decline in the mid-1990s. From 1993 to 1996, the market contracted by nearly two-thirds, and you can see this as the video documents the collapse of Genesis, Game Gear and Pico. Sony was building their PlayStation brand slowly and steadily, but it would take Nintendo, once again, to turn the tide with the arrival of Nintendo 64 and a little-known videogame known as Super Mario 64. In 1997, sales were climbing and videogames began a resurgence that continues to this day.

Anyway, just a few thoughts on this video from PandaMonium. Great work, overall. Can somebody out there give this guy a grant? He needs to be getting paid for this.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

Here's a gameplay video of Taito's Layer Section 2 in action. This Sega Saturn translation was handled by veteran coders Tose and published by Mediaquest in Japan, and while a very solid effort, suffers from semi-frequent bouts of slowdown and a slight roughness in the visuals, as well as an overall lack of polish when compared to the genre's giants on the system. Like Castlevania, this was seen as a lazy Sony PlayStation port that failed to properly exploit the hardware and surely could have been better. Additionally, I must agree with everyone else that the original 2D Layer Section (aka Galactic Attack in the USA) is a much better experience.

I really don't think this is that bad of a videogame, and its reputation is a bit harshly received. What's here is very good and shoot-em-up fans will have a good time. It's just so hard to compete with the likes of Radiant Silvergun, Soukyugurentai, Batsugun, Battle Garegga, Dodonpachi, Thunder Force 5, Darius Gaiden, and, yes, Galactic Attack. And let's not Bulk Slash and the first two Panzer Dragoon games into the fight. Or Thunderstrike 2. Or Mass Destruction. Or all those killer mech games. Or the Sega Ages titles like Afterburner and Galaxy Force 2. Oy vey!

Last edited:

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

The original Virtua Fighter never gets any love in the West. While it was, and remains, a beloved arcade classic in Japan, it served as a whipping boy in the States due to its glitchy polygon visuals, and the flat-shaded look that stood at the cutting edge in 1993 found itself quickly out of fashion by 1995, in the wake of new fighting games like Tekken (yay) and Battle Arena Toshinden (yuck). Add in Daytona USA’s infamously rough performance, and Sega Saturn found itself dead in the water before PlayStation and Nintendo 64 even launched.

However, if you look more closely, you will find that Virtua Fighter is an excellent brawler whose polygon style retains a certain retro charm, offers excellent character animation and color design, and plays like a dream in the hands of skilled players.

My own experience was that Virtua Fighter didn’t make for a good first impression, as its gameplay was notably different from Street Fighter 2 or Mortal Kombat. But it did remind me a lot of Karate Champ and Archer MacLean’s International Karate, and that was ultimately what grabbed my interest. Within a couple weeks, VF became a popular game in my household with endless battles between housemates during the summer months of 1995.

Virtua Fighter Remix arrived by mail that September, and it was an immediate improvement across the board. The choppy arenas were now solid, texture mapping augmented the flat polygons, and the camera was slightly zoomed in. Strangely, this game loses the lighting effects from Sarah’s stage and the color design is flat when compared to the original, but there is no question that this is the Virtua Fighter that Sega should have released in the West. Ideally, of course, a true “Remix” would have included the original flat-shaded art style in addition to the texture mapping, but we are more than happy that Sega went back to give this title a second pass.

Honestly, I have no idea why Sega of America buried this title. What were they thinking? Oh, that’s right, they wanted to buy the 3DO Company and get their 64-bit M2 chipset, which would require that Saturn crashed and burned on impact. So much for that scheme. Always remember, kids: if you’re going to murder the archduke, you best not miss. Oh, well.

Last edited:

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

Here is your regularly scheduled reminder that Fighters Megamix is just about the greatest videogame that Sega ever made, and that they need to make more.

The first video has been shared many times and shows off all the characters, including all those wonderful "joke" characters like the Daytona USA car, a giant slab of meat and the AM2 palm tree logo. The second video shows the real reason why this videogame is genius: Hyper Mode. What this option does is very simple: it turns off all recovery times for moves. That means you get to mash out moves as fast as you can move your fingers. It's the ultimate button-masher tribute...or rebuke, depending on your take. I don't think most Sega fans even know this mode exists. They should know about it. And they should be playing this game every single day.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

Daytona ‘95 is the best home version of Sega’s greatest arcade racer, and don’t let anybody tell you otherwise. This video should demonstrate that perfectly. We even get to see a couple car crashes, which is where the true genius of this videogame lies. That’s why you play the 80-lap endurance mode with the AI and difficulty jacked to maximum.

And have you played Daytona USA with the arcade racing wheel? Wooooww!! It really does handle just like the arcade, and powerslides open up like never before.

I’m putting together a Saturn Top 100 list, and this game just barely sits outside the top ten. If only I hadn’t discovered Wipeout XL, Daytona ‘95 would probably crack the top five. It’s that good. And you Sega fans need to be more vocal about your devotion to this game. Show some love!

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

I popped in my retail copy of NHL 97 for a quick game last night, and I find this title growing on me. Visual Concepts does try to capture the few of the classic Sega Genesis NHL titles, and while not perfect—certainly never reaching the heavenly heights of NHL 94–it does a very admirable job.

The graphics are a bit fuzzy, textures are a bit blurry, and body checks lack that extra bit of muscle, but the controls are solid and the classic Genesis button arrangement is present, with new moves added to the other buttons. You can skate and pass and shoot endless one-timers with ease, and that’s what matters most.

Personally, I would rank this game behind NHL Powerplay 96 as the best Saturn hockey titles. PP 96 Just had that extra layer of shine and polish that Electronic Arts just couldn’t match. But what’s here is very solid and you can score a disc-only copy for the price of a sandwich. Good jorb!

Last edited:

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

Great news! Dungeon Master Nexus now has an English language patch! This was announced just this morning and arrived completely without warning, which makes this a great surprise for Saturn fans.

This is one of my favorite dungeon crawling adventure games on the system, and it’s a shame it was never localized and published in the West. Thankfully, we can now finally fix that problem. I know I can’t wait.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

This is fantastic: YouTube creator AuroralVisage is broadcasting a complete play-through of Game Arts' masterful adventure RPG Grandia. This is one of Sega Saturn's absolute greatest videogames, and it's such a labor of love that you can't help but marvel at every scene. These videos also feature the English translation, which needs to be distributed as widely as possible.

Additionally, user SegaFanatic5188 offers a complete breakdown on the differences between the Saturn and PlayStation versions of Grandia, including the pros and cons for each. This is a very helpful read, so I'm sharing it here:

So the Saturn version is the original version of the game. As a result the game was built around it and takes advantage of the hardware. When getting ported to PS1 there were things that had to be reworked to make the game able to run on it. The general break down is this:

Saturn:
+ Battle Backgrounds are higher resolution.
+ Character Sprites have more frames of animation.
+ Floor levels of maps are rendered with VDP2 planes allowing for certain effects(Buildings and other objects have shadows, Water has raster effects, etc.)
+ Maps that use VDP2 planes heavily run better.
+ Better quality textures
+ Minimal Texture warping
+ Better environmental effects (Lighting, Fog, etc.)
+ Map Screen runs at 704x448i
+ Battles run a lot smoother.
- Character shadows in town use simple circle shadows. In battle, they use proper shadows.
- Battles load a little slower due to the higher resolution background and more frames of animation being loaded in.
- Fullscreen FMVs are 10fps. Letterboxed ones are 12fps on both systems.
- Some transparencies use meshes.
- Maps that can't use VDP2 planes chug a little harder.

PS1:
+ Real Transparencies are used.
+ Faster Loading due to less data being loaded.
+ Fullscreen FMVs are 15fps.
+ Maps that chugged badly on Saturn (some dungeons) run a bit better.
+ Characters always use their battle shadows instead of the circle shadow used on Saturn.
- Battles are choppier and can cause some motion sickness for some when the camera zooms in and out a lot.
- Maps that used VDP2 planes on Saturn tend to run worse and chug more.
- No Building Shadows
- Water effects are toned down.
- Character Sprites have significant animation frame cuts.
- Repetitive Texturing used for floor textures that were VDP2 planes on Saturn.
- Significant Texture Warping.
- Less dramatic environmental effects.
- The map screen runs at 320x224.
- Battle backgrounds are at half the resolution they were on Saturn, so they look incredibly blurry.

The HD Remaster wasn't well received mostly because it was based on the PS1 version and has many of the same issues.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

Holy cow! Why am I not playing this videogame?! What is wrong with me?!

This is Cave's Touge King of Spirits 2, released in 1997 exclusively in Japan. It's the sequel to a 1995 mountain racing game that was also released in the US as High Velocity: Mountain Racing Challenge. I enjoyed the first title for its brilliant course designs, art direction, and, as always, that killer guitar rock soundtrack that is a Cave staple.

Touge 2 once again offers three main courses, as well as a fourth championship course, but introduces a wide range of options for time and weather, as well as normal and reverse direction. Your cars can also be greatly customized, so if you're a diehard car junkie, you'll have fun with this. The graphics engine has greatly improved in the sequel, offering a solid draw distance, many varied textures depending on the season or weather, and some nice shading effects on your cars. Everything moves so much faster, and this becomes very obvious once you unlock the more advanced cars, some of which will leave you whipsawed along the roads as you blaze at ridiculous speeds.

I honestly have no idea why I've never invested any time in this videogame. It was one of the first Japanese imports that I picked up when I rediscovered Saturn back in 2007 (and discovered this wonderful little thing called "internet downloads," haha). Perhaps the Japanese text and car customizing options left me feeling intimidated and scared away. Or perhaps the steering with digital controls was less than ideal, as this title--like nearly all Saturn racers--was built around analog steering and that arcade racing wheel.

I really ought to give this one another go. It just looks too tasty to pass up, and I'm always on the prowl for another great game that shows off Saturn's 3D polygon powers.

PS: I also found a short gameplay video with the Saturn's steering wheel controller. Have I mentioned that the racing wheel is an absolute must-have for this console?

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

I can't remember if I've ever posted this before, but it's always time to bring some friends together for Fighters Megamix, junk food, and trash talking. This is my favorite Sega Saturn videogame for a host of reasons, but mostly because of the sheer fun it inspires among players and hangers-on. You can't get much better than this.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

In the year 2000, Sega Saturn Magazine JP conducted a readers' poll that ranked the Sega Saturn videogames, and published the results in a special magazine. I shared the results of the top 100 games here on the NeoGAF Saturn Community some time ago, and it's a very illuminating list and an excellent time capsule of gamers' impressions at the close of the Saturn era. YouTube channel SSSG created this video compilation of that top 100, and so I just had to share with you.

As it so happens, I've been working on my own Saturn Top 100 list, and as I'm a diehard fan, I find it challenging to cram all my favorites onto a list such as this. I could easily write a list of the best 200 games on the system quite easily. And with such a vast and varied software library, your own rankings will come down to which genres are your personal favorites. Arcades, sports, adventures, visual novels, retro compilations, quirky experiments, there is something for everyone on Saturn. It's such a pity that most Western gamers missed out on so much.

Anyway, enjoy this video. I hope it inspires your imagination when thinking of your Saturn favorites, as well as inspiring you to discover new hidden gems.

SpiceRacz

In the year 2000, Sega Saturn Magazine JP conducted a readers' poll that ranked the Sega Saturn videogames, and published the results in a special magazine. I shared the results of the top 100 games here on the NeoGAF Saturn Community some time ago, and it's a very illuminating list and an excellent time capsule of gamers' impressions at the close of the Saturn era. YouTube channel SSSG created this video compilation of that top 100, and so I just had to share with you.

As it so happens, I've been working on my own Saturn Top 100 list, and as I'm a diehard fan, I find it challenging to cram all my favorites onto a list such as this. I could easily write a list of the best 200 games on the system quite easily. And with such a vast and varied software library, your own rankings will come down to which genres are your personal favorites. Arcades, sports, adventures, visual novels, retro compilations, quirky experiments, there is something for everyone on Saturn. It's such a pity that most Western gamers missed out on so much.

Anyway, enjoy this video. I hope it inspires your imagination when thinking of your Saturn favorites, as well as inspiring you to discover new hidden gems.

Any plans to post your top 100 here? I'm always looking for recommendations. I don't think I've even played 100 Saturn games.

Last edited:

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

Retro-Bit has announced their new Sega Saturn controller featuring dual analog sticks and dual digital and analog triggers. I don’t mean to hype things up, but this might become the greatest videogame joypad ever.

I greatly enjoy the 2D Retro-Bit Saturn controller, and if the analog version can match the quality of Sega’s 3D Multi Controller, fantastic, while keeping the perfect feel of the digital pad, fantastic!

This new controller will be compatible with every modern platform, as well as including a plug-in adapter for your Saturn. And like many of you, I wonder if that second analog stick could be used on the system’s first-person games? Or would they be compatible with Virtual On twin-stick games?

First thing we do is fire up the Lobotomy Trilogy. Second thing we do is fire up Virtual On and Bulk Slash.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief

Retro-Bit has announced their new Sega Saturn controller featuring dual analog sticks and dual digital and analog triggers. I don’t mean to hype things up, but this might become the greatest videogame joypad ever.

I greatly enjoy the 2D Retro-Bit Saturn controller, and if the analog version can match the quality of Sega’s 3D Multi Controller, fantastic, while keeping the perfect feel of the digital pad, fantastic!

This new controller will be compatible with every modern platform, as well as including a plug-in adapter for your Saturn. And like many of you, I wonder if that second analog stick could be used on the system’s first-person games? Or would they be compatible with Virtual On twin-stick games?

First thing we do is fire up the Lobotomy Trilogy. Second thing we do is fire up Virtual On and Bulk Slash.

Those sticks look a little too small for my tastes, but including Hall effect tech is pretty sweet.
I dunno, maybe I'll pick up a black one..

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!

I'd think that's a big feature to omit mentioning, full remapping like that to make faux dual stick schemes on related real Saturn games (doubling certain functions from buttons and reversing the side on which others are) or acting like a Twin Stick. But you can certainly do that on emulators at least.

Anyway I mentioned on their twitter since this news reminded me of it how I was left hanging on replacement d-pad parts for their initial botched batch of Saturn pads and they have me doing the same song and dance again, the first person who e-mailed me said they tried to contact me and I'm the one who didn't respond in 2020 (after trying to reach them since 2019 a couple months after I bought the pads) then I resent the whole e-mail history from last time and they were like oh, well I only work here since 2021 so I wasn't aware (as if when speaking with a general info@ whatever you're addressing a given person and not the company) and added nothing and now I'm asking so what now, circle jerk all over again, is anything gonna be done or I'm just wasting my time? We'll see but I doubt they send anything years later and I had the matter dead until this news anyway.

Bought a Fighting Commander at that point and it's been excellent even without the Saturn style d-pad and have a Dual Shock 4 so can cover any kind of game style, retro, emulated, 2D, 3D, or whatever with these. Granted this looks like a great all in one solution when/if one of those dies.

Last edited:

Speaking of the Lobotomy games, it's a travesty that the Saturn version of Exhumed hasn't been ported across to modern consoles. The level design in that game is one of the best ever and it certainly gives the 3D Metroid games a run for their money. It's such a shame that so many people won't ever get to experience it.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Speaking of the Lobotomy games, it's a travesty that the Saturn version of Exhumed hasn't been ported across to modern consoles. The level design in that game is one of the best ever and it certainly gives the 3D Metroid games a run for their money. It's such a shame that so many people won't ever get to experience it.
It largely has been, PowerSlave Exhumed is not like PowerSlave EX which was mostly based on the PlayStation version, instead it largely relies on the Saturn map data by default with some elements from the PlayStation version and new tweaks and improvements on top.

Last edited:

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

Here is a great gameplay video of the newly released Tomb Raider Gold (Unfinished Business) on Sega Saturn. As you can see, it's playing on a small CRT television, which is especially nice. This is a homebrew conversion of the PC exclusive, which features four bonus stages to explore. As you can see, it looks excellent and uses the original Tomb Raider engine while making a few minor improvements, such as the handstand animation. What a terrific release for fans!

The programmer responsible for this translation also showed off a demo of several stages from Tomb Raider 2, and I do hope he brings the entire game to Saturn. That would be fantastic.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

I was playing through Tomb Raider's first two stages earlier this evening, and I was struck by a rather controversial thought: this videogame looks great. And I don't mean Tomb Raider 1 in general, but the Sega Saturn version. While it became a blockbuster success on Sony PlayStation and PC, the Saturn version (the platform the game was originally designed on) is widely overlooked and nearly forgotten, even by diehard fans. It is universally seen as the inferior version, and yet, I can't help but feel moved by my experience. There's something magical about this version that its more famous cousins seem to miss.

Now, let's not get ahead of ourselves. I will freely admit the PSX version of Tomb Raider is more polished and refined overall, especially with the frame rate, and the PC remains the definitive version thanks to its VGA resolution and 60 fps action. But let's consider the areas where Saturn shines: its lighting and water effects.

Something becomes lost when video and computer games become too polished, too smooth, too refined. You lose the grit and texture, the rough-hewn nature of pixels and chunky polygons. A game like Tomb Raider sends you through underground caverns and lost ruins, ancient buildings reclaimed by trees and animals, surrounded by sharp rocks and sudden ravines. It should look and feel dangerous, as though you are treading where no other human has dared for centuries. And it's here that Saturn Tomb Raider truly shines.

The lighting in this version is far more aggressive, with sharper contrasts and a notable difference between light sources and dark caverns. In this Tomb Raider, many of your environments are almost pitch black dark, accentuated by the sharp brightness from a ceiling or the glow of a water pool. The slightly chunky polygon textures (I cannot tell if PlayStation's textures are higher resolution or less detailed) add to the mood. These rocky caves feel rough. You feel as though one wrong step in any direction would mean certain death. In that sense, the world itself is the game's major adversary, not merely a maze of puzzles to navigate, but a hostile environment to survive. The rocks and cliffs are as much a threat as the bats, wolves and bears.

The lighting on the Sony and PC versions of Tomb Raider is significantly flatter and brighter, no doubt intended that way to ease the player along, lest they become lost in the dark shadows. But they also rob us of that sense of danger. The stages feel tame, almost safe, compared to the Saturn. It's as though ceiling lamps were installed everywhere to keep the tourists happy.

I greatly prefer the lighting on the Saturn version. It feels better, more dynamic, more natural. There's a moment at the beginning of the third stage where you fall down a waterfall into a large cave pool, and you just want to sit back and marvel at the rock formations and the bright illumination of the waterfall against the rocks. You understand what is meant when it is said that Tomb Raider is a videogame about isolation, about the struggle of (wo)man versus nature. The only other game that captures that same mood is Minecraft, and even then, I would have to go back to its pre-release "Alpha" stage before its official commercial release, when the lighting was similarly turned way up. Tension and suspense rests in those shadows. You banish them at your convenience, but also at your peril.

Similarly, there is something quite hypnotic about water in Saturn Tomb Raider. It bobs and weaves, and it distorts everything seen below (of above, if you are underwater). This is a showcase for the system's VDP2 processor, which is famous for creating dazzling water effects that have never been seen before or since, and is the highlight of games like Grandia and the Panzer Dragoon Trilogy. Here, the impression is technically impressive but also adds to the uncanny spookiness of Tomb Raider's world. This is a haunted world of lost cultures, and its ghosts linger in the shadows, and you can't help but feel a little nervous when exploring. There is more than the occasional wolf pack to fear, but the world itself, which sees you as a hostile agent out to shoot, loot and pillage. This game may take its cues from Lucas and Spielberg, but Lara Croft is no Indiana Jones. She is a cold-blooded mercenary and thief who will murder without hesitation. It's only understandable that this world would respond harshly.

As for the frame rate, it is easily Saturn Tomb Raider's biggest weakness and I do wish Core's development team had worked a little longer to improve that, and bring everything closer to a stable 30fps. I don't think this game works at 60fps as seen on the PC. That's far too slick, too polished, too safe. There are many videogames that are better served running at a slower, more atmospheric speed. Then again, Generation 5 is notorious for low, chuggy frame rates--we're looking at you, Nintendo 64--and most gamers at the time never bothered to notice or care. Why Sega became the whipping boy for sins committed equally by Sony and Nintendo (to say nothing of 3DO and Atari Jaguar) remains a mystery for the ages.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on Saturn Tomb Raider.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

Here is the newly released Tomb Raider: Unfinished Business (TR Gold) for Sega Saturn, presented in its entirety. This looks so great and it's such a shame we never saw its release back in the day. Kudos for the skilled programmer responsible for this amazing gem.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

prtTWfnl.png

97aneuHl.png

b6PBO5il.png

RU7yfTJl.png

Here are some screenshots of the new English translation for Silhouette Mirage, Treasure's wonderfully frantic and zany 2D action-shooter on Sega Saturn. I have been eagerly awaiting this translation and can't wait to enjoy it fully. As Alexios has stated, the ultimate goal will be a new translation from scratch, as this version uses the text from Working Designs' PSX release. I'm not familiar with how faithful that script was, but we all know how WD loved to embellish their scripts. Sometimes it worked, other times it didn't.

In any case, we now have a chance to enjoy one of the true hidden gems of the Saturn library, as well as one of its greatest 2D showpieces. The game plays like a cousin to Gunstar Heroes with a bipolar combat element (silhouette and mirage) that became a fixture on the studio's legendary Ikaruga. As always, it's the genre-mashing that makes Treasure's games so much fun to play, and even if they don't hit a home run, a solid triple is better than most other studios could hope to muster. And if this title doesn't resonate as loudly as Radiant Silvergun and Guardian Heroes, well, have you played those videogames? Following after them is like taking the stage after The Beatles and Led Zeppelin.

As always, we must thank the brilliant minds behind this translation project, as well as all the work among the Saturn homebrew community for making this possible. It's astonishing to realize how many Japanese exclusives are now playable, and how it has enriched and broadened our love of this great system. Kudos and free snacks for everyone!

Now if somebody out there could get to work on Princess Crown, cough, ahem, that would be great, yeah.

Top Bottom