• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF reviews Halo Infinite Multiplayer...

What score do you give Halo Infinite multiplayer?

• < 6

Results are only viewable after voting.
Score 10/10

+ great gameplay
+ not another f2p battle royale game
+ not pay 2 win either
+ Amazing wow moment potential.

- poor monetization
- waiting times
_ melee sucks atm

Pros
-gunplay. High ttk. Thank goodness, in this day and age somebody gets it.
-plenty of weapons which bring variety
- decent base mobility.

Cons
-no way to functionally customize spartans (only cosmetic customization). No other clases, like elites and maybe Brutes. The game will get old quick because of this.
-limited map count
-looks rough in some places (i.e. look how awful the sword looks). Should run much better on pc. No options for dlss, fsr, etc which should be standard for aaa. Especially with the year delay.

Kev Kev

9/10

+ mongoose is fun
+ I love the addition of the razor back. its quite useful and makes a driver like me very happy
+ gungoose is beast af

- vehicles flip too often
- too many frivolous little rocks and shit that are there only to flip vehicles
- no racing playlist :(

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
9/10

Positives:
Gameplay is incredible.
Visuals are excellent at 120fps.(series x)
Music

Negatives:
Losing in Oddball
No playlists
MTX prices are too rich for my liking, £12 for a sword is a little silly imo.

Last edited:
I keep having this happen on PC, it loads me under the map and im stuck there unless I hard close the game smh. I love it, this is the most multiplayer I've played in years, but this is wack and it seems to be happening more and more.
NHQOnXi.png

8/10 from me

+ Huge variety of weapons makes the game feel fresh yet familiar.
+ Gameplay is fast and fluid, gunplay is excellent.
+ technically sound and polished to a sheen

cons

- Lighter vehicles feel like micro machines to drive
- Progression is very slow for the battle pass if you care for that kind of thing
- Only a few maps at the moment

Hoddi

I've never liked Halo before but I'm having a blast with it. The level progression is shot and it needs more modes/maps but the core mechanics are otherwise great.

ClosBSAS

Lol 6 votes with a 1...must be them Sony fanboys. If you gave it a 1, speak up, be a man.

It's a 9.

Solid ass gameplay, fun, good maps and easy to play hard to master.

Cons are not enough maps, and waiting too long for ranked.

Last edited:

Codes 208

+absolutely solid gameplay
+good map flow
+grappleshot
-progression is too damn slow
-lack of game modes (i just want to play slayer ffs)
-almost every customization being locked behind paywalls is a bit frustrating

MrFunSocks

Banned
I'd give it a 9. It's a great match of old and new, even if I wish it leaned a little more to the new, has absolutely perfect graphics and controls, unique gameplay, free to play, maps are great, and cross generation and cross platform. There are a few things I want changed/fixed like enemy collision added, some weapon tweaking (commando/carbine/a few electric guns buffed for example), some separation of playlists (which will no doubt come), and louder foot steps, but they're all minor/trivial.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Currently an extremely strong 9

+incredible gameplay.
+smooth 120hz action on my series x

- no game mode searches.
-smaller number of maps and game modes over previous entries.

JLB

Banned
Core gameplay is absolute masterpice. Gunplay feels awesome, even better than Halo 5.
Art style is fantastic.
There are two cons: Progression system is right now broken, and content is scarce.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Controller aimbot removed any motivation to play the game on PC.

Couldn't give two fucks about wearing silly hats but the progression is objectively bad.

Cant recommend in its current state

Simpkin92

9/10
+Smooth Gameplay
+beautiful graphics
+Weapon play feels amazing

-No individual playlists
-battlepass progression
-needs more maps

7/10

+ Great foundation to build out from for years
+ performance is solid
+ sandbox is good but needs some tweaking
+ visuals are great
+ equipment is very well implemented
+ bot matches are awesome to warm up or fool around in
+ academy is a nice touch and very well made, easy to expand further
+ solid settings/controls to tweak things
+ ranking system is clear and simple
+ attention to detail is great e.g. doors to hack for loot, flag/items can carry on hog
+ weapons feel satisfying to use
+ movement is solid and strafe is effective
+ Halo craziness is preserved and promoted e.g. flag carrier on a wasp or throw a fusion coil

- no server region selection e.g. Australia only (deducted a whole point for this stupid shit)
- UI sucks, everything is clicks away and generally just worse than previous game entries, it also blackouts sections, isn't clear for the action you want
- bigger fireteams cannot be joined sometimes, xbox party chat/friends doesn't sync with the game or what friends are doing in real time
- quick resume sucks and requires a reboot to find matches
- audio is too weak, even when changing to compressed audio or dolby atmos or anything, Apex does this waaaay better
- esports vs BTB chaotic, they cut classic 4v4 maps again like Halo 5
- damage is too dependent on network connection quality, some games you go +10 and the next -10, purely on hit registration
- crossplay is forced in some modes, especially now PC cheats for wallhacks and aimbots are out already
- visual feedback is too much
- too much CQC and constant engagement e.g. what happen to clean maps The Pit? It's all clamber, turn one corner and fight.
- needs more maps (not esports focused and BTB needs cleaner larger open areas) e.g. standoff, less esports oddball and strongholds on quick play
- aiming is inconsistent/glitchy randomly
- many systems in MCC that have taken years to refine are just missing
- waypoint website has no stats on overall player or game history specifics
- slide sucks and doesn't carry any momentum e.g. slide down a huge hill and come to a full stop quickly still
- vehicles too light and die too quick
- banshee isn't a one shot bomb kill anymore
- grenade splash damage is too much, feels like tied to networking latency/prediction issues more than anything
- lacks player filters e.g. slayer only or objective only, I do understand their attempts to push a mixed playlist though from historic data
- lacks other ways to play e.g. BR mode, firefight, something new e.g. RTS leader or group leaders issuing mini-fireteam commands based on the intro animation groupings, they could have had respawn via somewhat controllable ODST drop pods (especially BTB) and not gone full BR
- ping system compared to Apex's wheel options is far less communicative and strategic in game or stacked fireteams

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Lol 6 votes with a 1...must be them Sony fanboys. If you gave it a 1, speak up, be a man.

It's a 9.

Worst part is one of them is a mod, not sure if trolling or what.

The rest are very obvious. 😆

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I voted 12. It's easily the best free multi player game released on Nov 15th that I haven't downloaded or played.

9/10

Pros:

New weapons are fun
New abilities are fun
Vehicles are fun
Breaking the physics is fun
I suck at it but am still having fun
Runs butter-smooth on my machine at 120fps at max settings and looks good

Cons:

It's still in Beta and there are things that need to be addressed when the game officially launches like progression and whatever the monetization side holds.

SZips

8/10

It feels like a real solid foundation, but it's just that... a foundation.

Positives
Great gameplay. It's just stellar stuff.
Great weapon variety (except for the Ravager. That weapon can just go to hell.).

Negatives
It's missing permanent modes that have become staples in previous games.
The monetization is an issue that is really made worse by the absolutely abysmal XP system present in the game.
The free event is really showcasing just how bad this XP system is.
Even with this challenge system in place, it'd be nice to know what challenges I need to do while in the middle of a game instead of just trying to remember.
You cannot select specific game types. You're forced to play modes you don't like just with the hopes of getting something you do want to play.
No automatic requeuing into games.
Lack of robust customization options as most things are gated behind the Battle Pass.
Too few maps, especially BTB ones.
I wish performance was better on my PC.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I have played a handful of matches and I don’t know if it’s enough or not enough. I can remember matchmaking in Halo games. This for some reason is real weird for me. The random weapon matches feel out of place. They’re fun, but I want my ranked and matchmaking to focus on the core of Halo: Slayer, Team Slayer, CTF, BTB, Oddball, etc. I feel like I’m sorting through some clustered F2P menus where nothing is specifically outlined appropriately. Why can’t there be Ranked and Unranked - then sub game types for each? Why make it so confusing? Unless I’m crazy and missed something. It feels like they could have copied and pasted H2’s matchmaking design. It’s all spread out to highlight all the customizable Spartan gear. Which isn’t important to me personally.

The gameplay is awesome. Some of the weapons are weird and under powered. They’re like low tier versions of previous weapons used in the franchise. A lot of the new weapons feel good if this was a campaign. Sure, new weapons feel amazing in the campaign because it’s not super fun to always use the same weapon types. It’s just weird when you spawn in Multiplayer with a gun that does crap damage and it shoots like a more powerful weapon. I got most of my kills with the battle rifle, rocket launcher, and the sniper. That felt good. When I spawned with some sorta ray blast weapon or some odd looking sniper that does way less damage - it takes some of that competitive feeling away. I am just going for grenades, plasma grenades, and a weapon that I know can kill in a nostalgic amount of time. So far I like it, even though I think those parts are meh. It almost feels like a game made by Halo veteran players who kept messing with the formula because they somehow wanted to spice things up. I don’t have that MLG H2 feeling yet where BR and Sniper spawn in one exact location and you’re camping a particular area. It feels more welcome to new players.

MOTM

Banned
9/10

But getting tired of the maps already. Realised there’s only 7 .. like is this normal or have they announced new maps coming soon?

THEAP99

Banned
pros:
great moment to moment gameplay
great sound design
no progression, gameplay focus

cons:
needs more maps
needs more modes
more guns
average graphics with lousy detail

7/10

Last edited:
9/10

But getting tired of the maps already. Realised there’s only 7 .. like is this normal or have they announced new maps coming soon?

It's in Beta right now and they haven't announced what will change in the future. We're all just play testing the game for them so they can get the servers sorted for the official launch on the 8th and figure out what they can get away with and what they can't. If the 8th comes and nothing improves/more content doesn't become available as season 1 progresses...

giphy.gif

And they'll have done it to themselves.

Flintty

I fucking love it. Feels like the best Halo MP I've played tbh. Deducted half a point for shitty progression.

Y0ssarian

Banned
+ good gunplay
+ Feels like classic halo
+Good amount of maps and game modes

- no outstanding maps like lockout, Zanzibar, battle creek, etc
- bad progression
- no dedicated playlists for Slayer, oddball etc

I give it an 8

Last edited:
7/10
+Gameplay is the best there is.
+It really is a return to form for the series.
+Winning feels very rewarding.

-The lack of player collision makes melee fights a horrible mess.
-The battle pass challenges encourage players to actively go against playing the objective.
-hardly any modes/playlists/maps.
Next to zero free customizations. I won’t pretend that customization is a new concept to Halo, and therefore free to be exploited by monetization. Locking everything behind a paywall or grind is really disheartening. If this is the price of F2P then, in my opinion, it’s not worth it. Player identity shouldn’t be dismissed because “it doesn’t affect the game.” It does.
7/10 may seem harsh, especially since the gameplay is currently unbeatable, but I don’t think it’s fair to give a higher score when the issue take so much of the fun away. IMO.

tmlDan

7/10

good gameplay, some weapons absolutely suck ass and the variety is minimal where weapons look and feel the same, and the BP system/progression system still sucks.

Oh, also, cant pick game modes.

Last edited:

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
< 6 because it runs like ass on my PC and feels choppy/stuttery even though fps sometimes reaches triple digits. Makes it a lot less fun to play. Other shooters are so much smoother around the same frame count, which I don't understand. Gonna revise the score once it runs better.

ZehDon

Gold Member
I'll hold off until I see 343i's response to the massive backlash to their egregious progression and MTX model. To echo what others have written though: gameplay good, everything else bad.

Sakura

It's a 9.

It's less than 6, not a 1.

8.5/10

Has the potential to be higher, but currently it lacks maps and the unlock system makes the game actively less fun. Both things are fixable though.

+ Clean graphics. Looks great even on low settings.
+ Music complements the overall atmosphere.
+ Plays well. Nice additions such as climbing ledges and sliding.

- Built around annoying, tedious progression and expensive paywalls. They created problems just to sell players the solution. e.g. Challenge swaps for bad challenges. XP boosts to progress faster.
- Progression problems further compounded by lack of control over random playlists and map loadouts. Can't choose specific gametypes to play. Can't veto maps. Players quitting matches for their challenges.
- Frequent crashes with no obvious way to reconnect. I've been able to reconnect to some games by joining my friend's fireteam. But it doesn't always work. Remains a mystery.

The MP is definitely fun. But that fun won't last forever if we have to keep playing the game the way they seem to want us to play. Recipe for burnout. One could just ignore the progression altogether, but it's hard to when they keep dangling carrots in the form of rewards for completing weekly challenges or leveling the battlepass.

DoomGyver

+ graphics, map design
+ most gunplay is great, some balancing needed
+ addition of the grapple shot and repulsor changed the gameplay
+ its free

- can’t select specific modes
- lack of maps and weapons
- sound design is bugged where sometimes the rear channel speakers emit no sound
- battlepass should be included with gamepass ultimate
- difficult to aim
- vehicles handle like they’re made of Cheetos
- melee is crap because of no player collision and too much lunge

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
I think the potential for a fully fledged 3.0 mp service with arena mp, br mp and "cod zombie"-type modes is 10, the solid framework we see in the "beta" is already in place for good things to see in the future. As it is right now, as I said, the framework is very solid, but it feels lacking in width and depth, so it's a 7/10 even though I have 9/10 fun.

TLDR; Right now: 7/10 Potential: 10/10

Midn1ght

9/10

I haven't played lots of online shooters in the past expect for CSGO (1700 hours) and this is my first Halo game ever so I don't have much to compare with but I'm having a blast with this one.

My PC is hooked to both my monitor and a 4K TV for couch gaming and what I love with this one is how easy it is to switch from keyboard to controller and still have tons of fun.

Progression is definitely slow and I haven't jumped into the battle-pass yet but probably will.

Can't wait for the campaign.

Top Bottom