• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix buys new Noah Baumbach film w/ Adam Sandler, Ben Stiller, Dustin Hoffman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Entitled "The Meyerowitz Stories."
The film, which has been mentioned on the shortlist of potential Cannes titles, will premiere in select theaters and on Netflix later this year. It stars Adam Sandler (who just reupped with Netflix for four more comedy star vehicles), Ben Stiller, Dustin Hoffman, Elizabeth Marvel (Homeland, House of Cards), Grace Van Patten (Tramps, Stealing Cars) and Emma Thompson.

It’s described as an intergenerational tale of adult siblings contending with the influence of their aging father. Scott Rudin, Baumbach, Lila Yacoub and Eli Bush produced.
It's been a contender for a Cannes debut and will release later this year.

lupinko

This movie should be good, Frances Ha is one of my all time favourite movies.

Tho Greta played a large role in writing that.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Adam Sandler, hmm? So it's another crapfest film?

Baumbach is ok. I like this lineup, I think Sandler/Stiller/Hoffman sounds pretty great for a cast chemistry.

Punch Drunk Love is Sandler's best for sure but I've also enjoyed all the Sandler/Barrymore movies. Even that piece of crap Blended was entertaining to me.

Haven't seen much of his work, but I remember absolutely loving The Squid and the Whale. I'll check this out and some of his other movies!

btw guys the director/writer of Spotlight also made a Sandler movie:
80017442.jpg

with Dustin Hoffman in it too....so mileage may vary on this one haha.

edit: beaten.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Adam Sandler can do good stuff if he wants he also loves to do quick cash in's and does not give two fucks.

I think this will be one of his good movies and not simply another pay check. However, if it's another pay check then well it's what most people expected.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
So Sandler still gives a shit about doing movies that actually require him to act?

Ridley327

So Sandler still gives a shit about doing movies that actually require him to act?

I think he's an actor that needs a director to push him hard in order to get something worthwhile out of him. Not in the sense of "do dozens of takes until something good comes out of him," but in the sense of not having a director that's also a good friend and along for the paid vacation.

Boem

I don't really get the Sandler hate. I mean, yeah, I'd want to claw my eyes out if I had to marathon his movies, but that doesn't make him a bad person. We're living in a world where someone like Roseanne Barr is spouting racist conspiracy theory rants on twitter. In comparison, Sandler is just a guy making crappy movies and earning millions. Not his fault that people keep paying him for it.

Nobody hates the guy selling whoopee cushions at a carnival. He's doing his job, people are willing to pay for it, and he's not hurting anyone.

It's funny how this is apparently setting Cannes on fire though. I saw an interview where Sandler himself had to laugh about the idea of seeing Happy Madison there, and especially getting this kind of reaction. Should be interesting. I can actually see him put in a good performance with the right script.

Sandler can be great if the director and the material are. He's really impressive in Punch Drunk Love and Funny People. He's terrible in everything else.

For a split send I thought this was director of district 9. Now that would be a movie!
Noah Baumbach shits all over whatever Blomkamp is trying to do with his career.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Why the surprise over Sandler? We've seen him pull off some great character work in Punch Drunk Love, Reign Over Me, Funny People, and even Click to an extent.

I don't really get the Sandler hate. I mean, yeah, I'd want to claw my eyes out if I had to marathon his movies, but that doesn't make him a bad person. We're living in a world where someone like Roseanne Barr is spouting racist conspiracy theory rants on twitter. In comparison, Sandler is just a guy making crappy movies and earning millions. Not his fault that people keep paying him for it.

Nobody hates the guy selling whoopee cushions at a carnival. He's doing his job, people are willing to pay for it, and he's not hurting anyone.

It's funny how this is apparently setting Cannes on fire though. I saw an interview where Sandler himself had to laugh about the idea of seeing Happy Madison there, and especially getting this kind of reaction. Should be interesting. I can actually see him put in a good performance with the right script.
I agree with this. Clearly a lot of people like his shitty comedies, and that makes him a bad guy?

I'd do the exact same thing if I was him. Make that money.

I watched that new Sandler Netflix movie, Sandy Wexler, and it felt like - a few poorly placed "comedy" bits aside - that he was actually sort of trying again?

I dislike Adam Sandler as much as the next person. But I hate Noah Baumbach's pretentious, naval-gazing, dull as ditchwater output on a whole different level. Especially The Squid and the Whale. That really got me.

HiResDes

I dislike Adam Sandler as much as the next person. But I hate Noah Baumbach's pretentious, naval-gazing, dull as ditchwater output on a whole different level. Especially The Squid and the Whale. That really got me.

Go back to watching MCU bullshit then

I bet they only bought it because Sandler. 😂

I'll refuse to watch this just because he's in it. I don't care if it's his "best performance in years", because he will just go back to the same bullshit right after.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom