• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix expanding from mobile, is now developing a "new AAA game" for PC. Possibly a "third person action rpg"

Netflix has been building up its gaming efforts over the past several months with a growing library of mobile games on Android, but it seems that’s about to expand. Apparently, Netflix is working its way up to building a “AAA PC game.”

The folks over at Engadget spotted a job listing from Netflix that seeks a director role based in Los Angeles and would lead work on a “brand-new AAA PC game.”

It’s unclear what the game will be, but the listing asks for an ideal candidate to have experience with shooter games, “live service” games, and experience quickly prototyping in Unreal Engine. The game would ideally be “worthy” of being turned into a Netflix show, hinting at Netflix looking for a game at grand scale.

We’re looking for a creative and highly-skilled Game Director to help us forge the game direction and creative vision on a brand-new AAA PC game. As Game Director, you will be the creative leader of one of Netflix’s first generation of internally developed original games. You will provide the vision and direction for the game from the concept phase, through production, launch, and live operations. The right candidate will bring industry-leading craft expertise and attention to detail to generate the vision for a game that is high quality, emotionally resonant, iconic, and full of heart. Creating a great game that players want to come back to repeatedly is our primary goal – you will be able to create, ship and run a game without any competing design constraints due to monetization.

Another listing for a lead engineer mentions a “3rd person action RPG.”

Netflix first hinted at its broader gaming ambitions recently with the opening of its LA-based studio, with former Overwatch director Chacko Sonny heading up the studio. Netflix has also strongly hinted at work on a cloud gaming platform which would open up games of higher quality to Netflix subscribers on mobile devices and elsewhere.

Netflix is taking gaming more seriously, moving away from mobile and is working on a "AAA" game for PC. The listings suggest it will be a new third-person action rpg.

Netflix is controversial with gamers but who knows, maybe this new AAA rpg for PC may actually be a hit. I'm skeptical though just like I am all the corps that suddenly jumped into gaming after years of disinterest, but we'll see. Couldn't be much worse than Google or Amazon if they were going to make a "AAA" action rpg.

On iOS you just need to download their app and access with with your Netflix account. I wanted to play Immortality on my phone but it's locked behind the Netflix subscription.
Ok I'm in there now, I typed games into the search bar and Squid game the tv show is there. But no where is there a thing about games.
Or is there a separate games app for netflix?

GHG

Gold Member
Sounds like cloud (via Netflix) and PC only for now.

Have zero faith in Netflix's ability to make anything interesting in this space unless they partner with an established gaming studio.

This is most likely a stranger things game anyway, can't think of any other IP that would be better suited.

tommib

Ok I'm in there now, I typed games into the search bar and Squid game the tv show is there. But no where is there a thing about games.
Or is there a separate games app for netflix?
It's a separate app:
pdX7FKK.png
eVqGCUA.png

I think they'll stick with their website/app on mobile/pc, and have the game separately listed on consoles (if they plan to launch there) as all 3 console makers will insta-block the Netflix app if they try something funny lol

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Looks like I'm finally getting my Eternal Darkness sequel! You could totally action that up. :) A guy can dream.

Last edited:
Top Bottom