• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Netflix Has Created A Self-Fulfilling Cancelation Loop With Its New Shows"

jakinov

Yeah no shit. You can't make several new shows, cancel them once people get invested, then make more new shows and then act surprised when nobody watched and got invested.

They have no fucking idea what they are doing and their god awful management in the past 3 years has sealed its fate. It had a supremacy and yet still lost out over a newcomer like Disney+ not because its better, but because they completely fucked themselves into a hole over its own content.
Everybody cancels shows. They aren't surprised when nobody watches shows, they just cancel them and try again. That's how the TV industry has worked for decades. There are plenty of people getting invested in their shows still it's just a vocal minority complains about their expenisve unpopular show getting cancelled.

What do you think they should do instead? Tie up their finite budget in shows that hardly anyone watches? Or do you think they should save that money to make new deals. acquire things and try to make more popular shows?

How is Netflix losing to Disney+? Netflix shows dominate the Niselsen charts regularly and they are estimated by Nielsen to have multiple times the viewing time than Disney+ in a given period. Disney+ loses somewhere between $1-1.5B a quarter whereas netflix profits in the same range. Netflix worldwide subscribers is 223M whereas Disney+ is 164M.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I think just as big of a problem is how so many of their shows that survive to see a second season tend to change in tone and theme. Some felt like they brought on entirely new writing and directing teams, but then I checked the credits and it was largely the same creators. It's as if they're willing to completely overhaul their show because some small percentage of a niche demographic enjoyed Thing A over Thing B.

I cancel my sub now for months on end until something interesting (to me) drops. Following for the new hottest show feels like something people haven't enthusiastically been able to do since the years when House of Cards was in its middle season, new stylish docs like Chef's Table were releasing, and Stranger Things was brand new (2015 - 2016). The Witcher of course set the world on fire for a year, then that second season dropped ......

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
This isn't some exclusive Netflix issue just so we're not piling the hyperboleon the big boy here. One of the main issues a lot of people have is paying for dozens of streaming services. Cutting the cords wasn't supposed to be this segmented and you have a lot of people that are looking into alternatives where you can get all the channels in one package or some stuff that I have heard already a few co-workers mentioned.

You're already invested just enough with the basic ones and then you get specific stuff for animation or sports packages or even individual sports networks. This is just causing the inflation of prices to go up to ridiculous levels where if you wanted all the channels in the world you can pay your $1000/month. It's out of control

MacReady13

Everybody cancels shows. They aren't surprised when nobody watches shows, they just cancel them and try again. That's how the TV industry has worked for decades. There are plenty of people getting invested in their shows still it's just a vocal minority complains about their expenisve unpopular show getting cancelled.

What do you think they should do instead? Tie up their finite budget in shows that hardly anyone watches? Or do you think they should save that money to make new deals. acquire things and try to make more popular shows?

How is Netflix losing to Disney+? Netflix shows dominate the Niselsen charts regularly and they are estimated by Nielsen to have multiple times the viewing time than Disney+ in a given period. Disney+ loses somewhere between $1-1.5B a quarter whereas netflix profits in the same range. Netflix worldwide subscribers is 223M whereas Disney+ is 164M.
Sorry to bring this to gaming but how in the hell is Microsoft meant to make money on game pass even with 50 million subscribers when Disney (who own all those shows/movies) loses so much per year? I get they make new shows so they need to spend but losing so much money is terrible!

jakinov

Sorry to bring this to gaming but how in the hell is Microsoft meant to make money on game pass even with 50 million subscribers when Disney (who own all those shows/movies) loses so much per year? I get they make new shows so they need to spend but losing so much money is terrible!

• Netflix been profitable for the last 20 years. They moved slower and focused on being very efficient. Disney and others are moving fast, not as efficient.
    • Funny thing is Netflix pays their employees like double Disney employees, at least in tech. Netflix engineers are knowing for making like 200k+ right out of schooll and their average oen making like 500k-600k a year. They pay engineers a lot of money to solve problems that let them be super duper efficient.
  • The cost structures are differnet.
    • TV/movies are full of uninons that ask for residuals and other crap for life to pay for health insurance or just for money.
      • not really a thing in gaming
    • On top of residuals there also profit participants, people who are supposed to get a share of profits made on a TV show or movie.
      • not really a thing + Microsoft will likely spending most of their budget funding their own games.
    • It's cheaper to have a download service than streaming. You don't care about latency and a lot of simalnteous load. You aren't wasting a bunch of storage. It's just a simple entitlement management system and you can download this file. Stuff they also already more or less have mostly built from having a digital store anyways.
  • Pricing Gamepass is $10 which is above many unprofitable streaming services and has room to go up.
  • Games are still pretty cheap to make and you don't need that many of them. If you give yourself less-than half the budget of a streaming service for games lets say 7 billion per year. That means you could release 8 AAA games per year at $250M and have $5B to license out games from other publishers.
    • Obviously takes like 3-5 years to make a AAA game but if you assume the charge happens on release it's the same idea when you have things rolling.
    • In practice you aren't goign to release 8 AAA games a year it's going to be a mix.
  • Disney does not own every show on their service, especially the Fox ones. At least not fully. The real Disney stuff is owned by them. The fox stuff and other estuff via acquistions are partly owned by them but they own distro. Disney pays resdiauls for all and pays money to profit participants for most. Meaning it's not free for them to have shows/movies on their service. It's the same idea for WarnerBros Discovery except they don't full own anything like Disney does. It's why they are removing things from their streaming service because it's not free to have content sitting there.
  • Competition drives up licensing prices, and there's not strong compeititon right now.
  • A lot of Disney's subscribers are cheap 61M subscribers are like Gamepass $1 subscribers they are paying a really small price.

Hardensoul

Tbh 1899 was pretty much self-contained and the next season would have, most likely, been worse. When I started watching I didn't even know that more seasons were planned.
It's not, the story is not complete. It left on a cliff hanger with a lot of opened storylines.

-Minsc-

Wow there’s a name for this : The Firefly effect

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheFireflyEffect

The Firefly Effect refers to viewers being afraid of committing to a new series because they don't believe the series will last long enough to make up for the investment of time and emotions. "The network is just going to cancel this, so I'm not giving it my heart." If enough viewers think this way towards a particular TV series, it may become a Self-Fulfilling Prophecy—people don't watch because they think the show will be canceled, and then the show is cancelled because no one is watching it.
I intended to post "I remember Firefly.". You beat me to it. Back then we had a phrase, "The show got Foxed."

murmulis

It's not, the story is not complete. It left on a cliff hanger with a lot of opened storylines.
But the twist at the end made those storylines irrelevant.
Nobody died for real - they were all in a Matrix-like simulation. Apparently most characters weren't even real in the first place. If the 2nd season wasn't cancelled it would most likely not be as good as the first one. Also it would most likely spoil the twist ending too. Promotional materials would have to show the spaceship.

Hardensoul

But the twist at the end made those storylines irrelevant.
Nobody died for real - they were all in a Matrix-like simulation. Apparently most characters weren't even real in the first place. If the 2nd season wasn't cancelled it would most likely not be as good as the first one. Also it would most likely spoil the twist ending too. Promotional materials would have to show the spaceship.
You may have changed my mind. Looking at it that way, the story is complete!!

BouncyFrag

I’ve canceled Netflix and my other subs and don’t miss ‘‘em one bit. Netflix especially was turning into garbage for me.

Fake

I wonder what those cancellations from different creators have in common with each other.

They must know better than their public I guess.

Top Bottom