• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix loses subscribers for the first time in 10 years

Hardensoul

Apple TV is the new Netflix+HBO.

I just hope they don’t follow the algorithm and end up doing just endless amounts of true crime shows instead of epic original fiction.
Not sure about Apple TV, currently have it free and I'll likely cancel when that's up. Foundation was such a downer, I did like For All Man kind. But I eventually got tired of the alternate history story. The diversity of shows aren't enough there for me.

HBO max other than when movies drop during or after theatrical releases, I don't watch it much and thinking about cancelling.

I watch more Netflix and Prime, with HBO too. The cost is getting up there. Somethings got to give, way too many streaming service to sub to. It's getting close to cost of cable. lol

Billbofet

I have had HBO+ now for about a year and I think no other service can match it. Apple TV is close, but as far as exclusive shows and movie library, nothing touches HBO+ for me.
Disney + started strong, but even my kids barely fire it up anymore outside the occasional movie released on there. Also, Prime and Hulu have really gained in quality in the last three years.
Hell, even Paramount + is on its way up. The only service worse than Netflix, to me, is Starz. I had to get it for my mom to get a deal for some Outlander show, and it is pure trash.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Expected. Not that I use it but the rest of the family is on it like white on rice. Like flies on shite. Like a hard to reach booger in the deep cavern of thy nose.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I have had HBO+ now for about a year and I think no other service can match it. Apple TV is close, but as far as exclusive shows and movie library, nothing touches HBO+ for me.
Disney + started strong, but even my kids barely fire it up anymore outside the occasional movie released on there. Also, Prime and Hulu have really gained in quality in the last three years.
Hell, even Paramount + is on its way up. The only service worse than Netflix, to me, is Starz. I had to get it for my mom to get a deal for some Outlander show, and it is pure trash.

yea HBO max is ace

best one of these services by far to me

Pilgrimzero

I suppose if you're okay with standard definition and using it only on one device.

Personally, I'm okay with that as I only use my phone but I can completely understand why other people wouldn't be.

Perfectly fine with it. I’ve never been hung up on graphics etc. Watched SD most of my life growing up. Plus the tv up scales things anyways

Batiman

Banned
Funny enough I was just thinking about resubscribing just so I can see Stranger Things season 3, Arcane and Cobra Kai seasons 3 and 4.

I just finished watching Cobra Kai season 2 and that show is so good.
Cobra kai is great. Amazing cheesy greatness for me and my fam.

Ownage

I don't know outside but here in Brasil:

Basic: 1 screen, 480p (lol), low video quality >>>>> R$ 25,90 (it is the second rise in price in less than a year)
Default: 2 screens, 1080p, medium video quality >>>> $39,90 (the second rise in price in less than year too)
Premium: 4 screens, 4k + HDR, high video quality >>>> R$55,90 (the same as above)

It is too priced here.
For example Apple TV+ and Amazon Prime are R$9,90.
Apple TV+ is worth every cent if you subscribe for 1-2 months, then peace out for half a year.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Why would I wanna keep spending more and more money on a service that focuses on wokeness over producing good stories?
418394.jpg

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I split NF with my bro and he doesn't even care if I pay him half last few years.

I find most content on NF junk or not worth watching.

Call me crazy, but I think the best content on NF are documentaries. The type of shit you'd never see available on TV or can be purchased. Just random shit like Dirty Money or The Movies that Made Us, or the Delorean car company film. Not the type of stuff you'd ever pay money and watch in a theatre, but if it's on a sub plan, it's worth watching for 90 minutes.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
  • Mindhunter season 1: compelling show with great story and characters, instant hit
  • Mindhunter season 2: almost nothing that made season 1 great remains (after first few episodes), replaced with forced LGBT romance that takes up huge percentage of runtime and poorly fitting social justice storyline
Netflix cancels Mindhunter, citing low watch numbers for season 2

• Altered Carbon season 1: compelling show with great story and characters, instant hit
  • Altered Carbon season 2: showrunner Laeta Kalogridis fired and replaced with incompetent activist, writing team and cast also replaced, politically sanitized across every relevant dimension, now has zero redeeming qualities
Netflix cancels Altered Carbon, citing low watch numbers for season 2

:messenger_expressionless:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
  • Mindhunter season 1: compelling show with great story and characters, instant hit
  • Mindhunter season 2: almost nothing that made season 1 great remains (after first few episodes), replaced with forced LGBT romance that takes up huge percentage of runtime and poorly fitting social justice storyline

• Altered Carbon season 1: compelling show with great story and characters, instant hit
  • Altered Carbon season 2: showrunner Laeta Kalogridis fired and replaced with incompetent activist, writing team and cast also replaced, politically sanitized across every relevant dimension, now has zero redeeming qualities

Yikes.

I never watched MH, but heard good things about it when it came out. I tried watching AC for an episode or two when it came out and couldnt get into it.

But didnt know both got cancelled.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
For those of you who like NF documentaries, here's some recos off the top of my head. Some better than others, but IMO none are dud. I kind of put it in order how I like them.

- FYRE (that resort concert scam)
- The Movies that Made Us
- The Toys that Made Us
- Dawn Wall
- Delorean (based on the car guy)
- A He-Man documentary (I think it shares some content with the Toy Made Us episode? I forget)
- China Factory
- Cocaine Cowboys
- Age of Samurai (I think a 6 part series. Part history/narration, but all shown using actors playing out the history. Tons of killing)
- Not sure if they are still there, but Planet Earth and their spinoffs like The Human Planet etc...
- Dirty Money
- Social Dilemma (has a fictitious family playing out what the people say, so it's kind of cheesy that way. I would had liked it more if it was purely industry people talking)
- Downfall (about Boeing)
- Last Blockbuster (not great, but more of a feel good episode)

Porcile

I think I cancelled about three years ago. Just vegging out and binge watching pretty brainless content isn't that appealing to me anymore and I can find plenty of free stuff or stuff I already own to keep me entertained.

I'm still upset they canceled the Dark Crystal show

bitbydeath

I find there’s always something to watch on there, they make the best shows, period.

Russian Doll season two hits tomorrow and later this month the final season of Ozark is coming out. Nobody else has so much frequent content.

Sucks when they cancel stuff though.

Goalus

They should hire more people like them:

chappell-trans-netflix-03.jpeg

in order to save the company.

Last edited by a moderator:

MaestroMike

Gold Member
I only have it because I let my mom use it and she watches a sh!t ton of Netflix otherwise I would have canceled it a long time ago. I'm on the hook.

Chittagong

Gold Member
dat 26% decline

HiB74cK.png

This is actually the most surprising thing of this all. 30% crash is not a mere disappointment for incorrect consensus on quarterly report day, and that would be a 5-8% tumble.

30% is complete shock by an entirely unexpected event that shakes the core assumptions about the company.

With HBO Max, Amazion Prime, Apple TV+, Disney+ ane Paramounr+ entering the market with AAA content, it is shocking the market is shocked Netflix would decline.

On another note, I wonder how long the + branding lasts. I give it 5 years tops.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
It's mostly the price hike that's hurting them, I bet. I almost unsubscribed for that reason, as did some of my friends. I'm sticking with them for now...it's just, I barely ever use it anymore.

Amiga

Repeatedly underwhelming IP with loyal fanbases doesn't help. Netflix Adaptations now have a reputation of being a joke. Cowboy Bebop, He-Man, Witcher S2.

Also completion, IMOO Amazon Prime have better consistency of good production lately. Disney also have their occasional must watch. So I don't just passively keep the sub to Netflix like I used to. I switch between subs from a month to another. no auto renew.

mxbison

They've dropped quite a bit in quality but for me it's still the best streaming service.

Disney+ is pretty trash if you don't care about Star Wars/Marvel and Apple TV+ and Amazon Prime both have like 2 good originals.

Boss Mog

Go woke, go broke.

I really loved the first season of Altered Carbon and was excited for the 2nd season despite the recasts of the leads because it made sense in the context of the show where people can change bodies like they do clothing, but then I read the unbiased reviews and said no thanks, my time is too precious to waste on this garbage.

I unsubscribed at the end of last year, I was barely watching any original content (besides Korean stuff) because it was all filled with activist propaganda and felt like I shouldn't be financing it. I found a free site that streams almost all Korean shows in HD with no ads, so I just use that when I want to watch Korean stuff. I still have my dad's account info if I really want to see something on Netflix but 4 months into the year and I haven't used it, nor have I missed the service at all.

The constant price hikes didn't help either. It was like $7.99/month when i started and now $19.99/month for 4K.

Last edited:

TTOOLL

Raises prices
Still offers 480p tier
Produces trash woke material

It’s been two years since I stopped paying for it and I’ll never return.

Last edited:

JackSparr0w

Banned
AppleTV+ has some awesome stuff, especially Severance and Ted Lasso. Both leagues better than anything on Netflix. I’ll take curated high quality over Netflix’s swill any day of the week.
Ted Lasso season 2 is woke garbage though. They couldn't help themselves and ruined the show.

Catphish

Netflix is losing subscribers because the cancelled The OA. That's the bottom line, it's where it all went wrong.
Fucking hell. If there was ever a series that deserved another season, it's that one.

I thought the first season was weird, but intriguing. At the end of the second, I was like, "Oh shit, I can't wait to see where this goes."

Except it went into the bin. :(

SJRB

Gold Member
I can see them cracking down hard on password sharing to try and force people into taking a subscription. Netflix has been complaining about account sharing for quite a while and is experimenting with preventing logins outside of your "home" [whatever that means].

Zeroing

Banned
AppleTV+ has some awesome stuff, especially Severance and Ted Lasso. Both leagues better than anything on Netflix. I’ll take curated high quality over Netflix’s swill any day of the week.
Apple TV + is a mess. Only decent stuff from that service was severance and from all mankind! Apple tries too hard to be woke, it’s so on your face that it’s actually annoying and not meaningful.
But then again Netflix has a ton of stuff that is garbage!

This just shows that Netflix worked when it had everything on it and no competition.

Quite foretelling of what might happen with gaming services!

Zeroing

Banned
Netflix is losing subscribers because the cancelled The OA. That's the bottom line, it's where it all went wrong.
Am I the only one who tough that was meh!? The writing and the plot was all over the place! But I agree canceling any show is bad! Doesn’t send a message that people should invest on their series!

Saber

Gold Member
Why cant I see a list of all movies and TV shows available to me? So they can trap me with endless scrolling ...

The only reason I have Netflix is my son watches cartoons there.

I like how retarded they are.
"Suggestion in the search: Harry Potter"
*writes Harry Potter on the search
*Theres alot of movies but no Harry Potter movies.

SJRB

Gold Member
I like how retarded they are.
"Suggestion in the search: Harry Potter"
*writes Harry Potter on the search
*Theres alot of movies but no Harry Potter movies.

I hate their search and recommender engine so much.

*Start typing title of movie in search field*
Netflix: O you mean [title of movie]? Click here!
*click on title*
Netflix: "SYKE, we don't have that. Here's a bunch of random suggestions you don't care about"

Every single time.

Top Bottom