• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix only lost around 970,000 subscribers during the second quarter

reksveks

I don't really see the point of paying them a penny if they're going to blast me with commercials every 5 seconds. I have Youtube
The ad supported model will be for non-paid users (I have the bad feeling that it might have a banner in the pause menu even for paid users)

I mean nobody releases that not even Nielsen and HBO been tracking internal metrics for a long time and doesn’t even do that.

Also Nielsen data often more or less corroborates with Netflix data and there’s no reason for Netflix to boost shows for money as it’s a dissservice to them to do it and content creators dont monetize on viewership so there’s no great incentive to even pay to be boosted.
Also to add that the ad supported model means there will be more pressure for transparency, advertisers will get some insight at the minimum about the top viewed shows.

supernova8

Banned
The ad supported model will be for non-paid users (I have the bad feeling that it might have a banner in the pause menu even for paid users)

It specifically says:
we will introduce a new lower priced ad-supported subscription plan for consumers, in addition to our existing ads-free basic, standard and premium plans

Lower priced = not free or "non-paid"

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
It could technically be priced at 0 usd but yeah, that does sound like there might be a small monthly cost. I suspect that they are giving themselves room.

It will be interesting to see how they roll out their plans.

That would definitely be an epic PS4 "no used game restrictions....... also $399" level mic drop moment

I just checked the pricing and wow the $10 "basic" plan doesn't even have HD. What a fucking rip off.

I suppose I could see them charging $5 per month for an ad-supported model to entice new subscribers. I don't think it would bring many old subscribers since if you're at the point of saying "fuck it I quit" it's probably not just the price (ie you got bored of the content itself).

Also FYI I'm in Japan and Amazon Prime is dirt cheap here compared to Netflix. It's 500 yen per month (or maybe $6-$7?) or 4900 yen for the year (ie the discount if you get a year upfront). Luckily for me in Japan, Rakuten is still the biggest e-commerce player so (hopefully) Amazon will keep pricing low for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
That would definitely be an epic PS4 "no used game restrictions....... also $399" level mic drop moment

I just checked the pricing and wow the $10 "basic" plan doesn't even have HD. What a fucking rip off.

I suppose I could see them charging $5 per month for an ad-supported model to entice new subscribers. I don't think it would bring many old subscribers since if you're at the point of saying "fuck it I quit" it's probably not just the price (ie you got bored of the content itself).

Also FYI I'm in Japan and Amazon Prime is dirt cheap here compared to Netflix. It's 500 yen per month (or maybe $6-$7?) or 4900 yen for the year (ie the discount if you get a year upfront). Luckily for me in Japan, Rakuten is still the biggest e-commerce player so (hopefully) Amazon will keep pricing low for the foreseeable future.
They need to rethink thier pricing model. It went from 10/month to almost 25 during my subscription, and they kept losing more shows I was interested in.

Meanwhile other subs popped up offering more shows I'm interested in for less per month.

Prime is by far the best value, but finding shows kind of sucks. You need to know what's on there, but it has a deeper and better library than what Netflix is offering right now.

kuncol02

Banned
Similar in Poland. Thanks to Allegro practical monopoly in eCommerce space one year of Prime has almost same price as month of NOT 4k Netflix ($10.75 for whole year)

supernova8

Banned
They need to rethink thier pricing model. It went from 10/month to almost 25 during my subscription, and they kept losing more shows I was interested in.

Meanwhile other subs popped up offering more shows I'm interested in for less per month.

Prime is by far the best value, but finding shows kind of sucks. You need to know what's on there, but it has a deeper and better library than what Netflix is offering right now.

Yeah it's definitely way better just considering the free delivery (assuming you regularly-ish shop on Amazon), free music, free kindle ebooks (there's actually some decent stuff on there) and more recently free games. That's before you get to the video content itself, which as you rightly point out, is great. Especially so if you're like me and don't really have any preference in terms of content. I just want to watch something, it doesn't have to be Stranger Things or that new (apparently shit) Resident Evil series.

Plus if there's something I reeeeeeeeeeeally must watch from Netflix.. I may........ find a way to ... watch it... wink wink.

TylerD

Prime has a big UI update coming soon so hopefully it gets better in that regard. It's nice in what you get included with all the other Prime benefits.

16 quid a month now, so I binned it off like the other 969,999 ex-users. Its just a difficult price point to validate, especially with all of the other services scrambling for your business offering more attractive price points. I think moving forward its better just to dip in and out every few months when there's enough content to warrant dropping 16 big ones.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
While I do enjoy watching the circus of people on social media pretending this is the fall of Netflix due to the "go woke go broke" principle I think this is just the market correcting itself.

Netflix was THE name in streaming services Pre-Covid. Then a bunch of key things happened to make that no longer the case.

- Most importantly people were laid off due to the pandemic. Meaning people all across the US and the world at large needed to suddenly watch what they were spending and they needed to do it IMMEDIATELY. Meaning that cable bills were among the first to go because they are the easiest "luxury" to cut. Everyone went to the comparably cheap streaming services get their fix. Netflix being the largest among them at the time. So Netflic saw a MASSIVE influx of new subscribers in a relatively short amount of time which caused their future estimates to investors to be way off.

- Disney Plus was only launched in November of the previous year when all the Covid BS began. It was still in its relative infancy compared to Netflix so it was not as big of a draw. But as time has gone on the value that Disney has made with its content as well as its bundle has pulled people away from Netflix. It's bundle is basically a steal compared to what you get from Netflix now from around the same price.

- Many other outlets have stepped up since then to try and fill the rush of people trying to avoid cable bills and find their entertainment through streaming. Peacock, Motortrend, Apple TV, Paramount+, YouTube TV etc etc.

- Netflix canceled fan favorite shows to save money and conform to new deals.

- Netflix raised its prices

- Netflix lost key draws to companies who took shows away from them once contracts expired so that those shows can be shown on their own streaming services.

- Services like Disney+, Hulu, and Apple TV begin to produce their own attractive self made content that is of higher quality and bigger draw for a similar price as Netflix.

Along with about a dozen other factors. All of this leads to Netflix no longer being the most popular kid on campus. Their original estimates are off not having compensated for the rise of other services, their own stupidity when it comes to their own original content, and now their absolute moronic desire to clamp down on their customers ability to share their accounts with immediate family or friends.

TL;DR: Netflix is not going to die. It's just going to be the 3rd or 4th player in the game. Not the 1st.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
While I do enjoy watching the circus of people on social media pretending this is the fall of Netflix due to the "go woke go broke" principle I think this is just the market correcting itself.

Netflix was THE name in streaming services Pre-Covid. Then a bunch of key things happened to make that no longer the case.

- Most importantly people were laid off due to the pandemic. Meaning people all across the US and the world at large needed to suddenly watch what they were spending and they needed to do it IMMEDIATELY. Meaning that cable bills were among the first to go because they are the easiest "luxury" to cut. Everyone went to the comparably cheap streaming services get their fix. Netflix being the largest among them at the time. So Netflic saw a MASSIVE influx of new subscribers in a relatively short amount of time which caused their future estimates to investors to be way off.

- Disney Plus was only launched in November of the previous year when all the Covid BS began. It was still in its relative infancy compared to Netflix so it was not as big of a draw. But as time has gone on the value that Disney has made with its content as well as its bundle has pulled people away from Netflix. It's bundle is basically a steal compared to what you get from Netflix now from around the same price.

- Many other outlets have stepped up since then to try and fill the rush of people trying to avoid cable bills and find their entertainment through streaming. Peacock, Motortrend, Apple TV, Paramount+, YouTube TV etc etc.

- Netflix canceled fan favorite shows to save money and conform to new deals.

- Netflix raised its prices

- Netflix lost key draws to companies who took shows away from them once contracts expired so that those shows can be shown on their own streaming services.

- Services like Disney+, Hulu, and Apple TV begin to produce their own attractive self made content that is of higher quality and bigger draw for a similar price as Netflix.

Along with about a dozen other factors. All of this leads to Netflix no longer being the most popular kid on campus. Their original estimates are off not having compensated for the rise of other services, their own stupidity when it comes to their own original content, and now their absolute moronic desire to clamp down on their customers ability to share their accounts with immediate family or friends.

TL;DR: Netflix is not going to die. It's just going to be the 3rd or 4th player in the game. Not the 1st.
Nobody in this thread mentioned, "get woke go broke"? Thanks for the detailed write-up of obvious though.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Nobody in this thread mentioned, "get woke go broke"? Thanks for the detailed write-up of obvious though.
I didn't say anyone did? I said it's what I had been seeing on social media. AKA Reddit, YT, Twitter, etc etc.

It's literally in the first handful of words on the post lol

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Netflix is still cheap as fuck to me.. if I end up spending a few hours w/ it a month it's worth the $15 or whatever I pay.

Having paid insane rates for cable for 20+ years really prepped me for all this streaming crap to seem like pennies.

The only silly priced stuff are the "TV" versions of things.. Hulu TV/YouTube TV.. still hanging on to that model.. and hilariously they make you watch tons of ads for the increased price lol

Soodanim

Fuck the rest of it, I don't care about Netflix. But what in the French fried titty fuck is that clip, and how did people get paid to suggest and then accept that idea? Do Netflix have a prehabilitation program where they hire people who are still doing meth to be writers?

Kagey K

Banned
Prime has a big UI update coming soon so hopefully it gets better in that regard. It's nice in what you get included with all the other Prime benefits.
Hopefully it's good because discoverability on the current UI is atrocious.

DKehoe

Gold Member
mII6i4r.jpg

Hard to compete with that

Last edited:

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I dropped them during that period for Hulu and Disney+. A much better combo for me since I haven't really enjoyed much of Netflix's original stuff and their TV selection kind of sucks.

spawn

The latest season of Stranger Things was good. I'm watching Peaky Blinders now and I'm on season 3. It's been good so far. I heard the new Resident Evil is really bad though

JayK47

Is that a lot? How many do they have total? I would not consider going back to Netflix, and many other streaming services for that matter, until they improve the user interface and give me more options for sub accounts. As a parent, I want strict control over content and want to be able to block specific shows or tags for my kids. These days, I do no agree with what is considered ok for kids to view. I want to be able to whitelist or blacklist shows. For example, I do not want to see Cuties ever for any reason. I want to be able to perma block it and shows like it. And then Netflix will no doubt see what shows are getting blacklisted and maybe they will see that people are not interested in certain content.

gatti-man

To suffer through, I don't know, 6 episodes of this bad show and then be assaulted with this shit?!

The more I think about the new RE show the more disappointed I get. Someone on reddit mentioned it's like they blow most of their budget in the first 2 episodes and then coast with lots of interior locations that are cheap.
That’s exactly how it is. The beginning isn’t that bad then it transitions to the teens more and more which is just terrible and not RE.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Ad tier? Does that mean Netflix Originals are gonna start including cuts to black, or would ads only be at the start of each episode?

MastaKiiLA

im pretty happy with most streaming services, netflix included. theres plenty on there for me to watch and i feel im getting my moneys worth
That's how I feel. I have Netflix, and would like to add Disney+, and maybe HBO Max. I've had Max before, but stopped after GoT ended. New GoT might bring me back.

What I like the most about the streaming services is that it makes cable-cutting a no-brainer. Why pay north of $100 each month for a bunch of shit you don't watch? Paying $15 for stuff I don't watch is a lot easier to stomach. The only thing cable would have is live sports, but it's easy enough to find a local pub or free stream online to scratch that itch.

Tams

Gold Member
Yeah it's definitely way better just considering the free delivery (assuming you regularly-ish shop on Amazon), free music, free kindle ebooks (there's actually some decent stuff on there) and more recently free games. That's before you get to the video content itself, which as you rightly point out, is great. Especially so if you're like me and don't really have any preference in terms of content. I just want to watch something, it doesn't have to be Stranger Things or that new (apparently shit) Resident Evil series.

Plus if there's something I reeeeeeeeeeeally must watch from Netflix.. I may........ find a way to ... watch it... wink wink.
The shipping isn't as valuable in Japan to customers as Japan Post, or more often the Japanese couriers are very fast, at least on the mainland.

It's still great value for money.

Top Bottom