• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix orders series adaptation of Gerard Way's ‘The Umbrella Academy’

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Netflix has given a 10-episode order of The Umbrella Academy, a live-action series based on the popular graphic novels by Gerard Way (My Chemical Romance) and illustrated by Gabriel Bá.

The project hails from Universal Cable Productions and Dark Horse Entertainment.

Steve Blackman (Fargo, Altered Carbon) has been tapped as executive producer and showrunner on the series, slated for a 2018, which originated with a pilot script written by Jeremy Slater (The Exorcist).

The Umbrella Academy follows the estranged members of a dysfunctional family of superheroes (The Umbrella Academy) — The Monocle, Spaceboy, The Kraken, The Rumor, The Séance, Number Five, The Horror, and The White Violin — as they work together to solve their father’s mysterious death while coming apart at the seams due to their divergent personalities and abilities.

Source

Slayven

I heard good things, i should get around to read this one day

But i did read the comic by coheed and cambria, never again

This was such a surprisingly strong book both in art and writing. The corniness of MCR almost prevented me from picking it up but I'm glad I did.

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Locke and Key next, Netflix!

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
That's cool... although, wonder what the budget is going to be. This is going to be one visual intensive show.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
“What drew us to The Umbrella Academy is that it’s wholly unique, visual and stylized,” said Cindy Holland, Vice President, Original Content for Netflix. “These aren’t the usual superheroes, and this series will embrace the singular tone of the graphic novels — dark yet humorous, supernatural yet grounded in reality.”

I was gonna say Netflix should pick up Doom Patrol but then I remembered Doom Patrol belongs to WB, and I don't think WB would ever be interested in a Doom Patrol animated or live-action series.

Fury451

Banned
I was gonna say Netflix should pick up Doom Patrol but then I remembered Doom Patrol belongs to WB. And I don't think WB would ever be interested in a Doom Patrol animated or live-action series.

There's no way they wouldn't screw it up.

It's also one of the few properties that I don't think can be easily adapted outside the comics medium- at least if we are talking the Morrison/Pollock/current runs.

Slayven

I was gonna say Netflix should pick up Doom Patrol but then I remembered Doom Patrol belongs to WB, and I don't think WB would ever be interested in a Doom Patrol animated or live-action series.

doom+patrol+II.jpg

I am still mad Aquaboy stole the name of the only black hero to lead a Superhero team in the DC U

Shauni

Anyone who doesn't know this was sort of like Way's Doom Patrol before he got to use the actual Doom Patrol. Both books are pretty astonishing, although the second one takes a good few reads to grasp

So Gerard Way is actually a good comic writer? I knew he did some comics but never knew he was actually good at it

Is he still active in comics?

So Gerard Way is actually a good comic writer? I knew he did some comics but never knew he was actually good at it

Personally I enjoyed the comic when it came out I need to find my copy again and re-read it.
Also he has a new comic called Doom Patrol, which I havnt read yet, but I plan on it.

Both Umbrella Academy series are great and the new Doom Patrol is also good. Don't let the fact that he fronted MCR put you off checking out his other output.

Blader

This could be an interesting series. I remember liking the comic. I should probably give it a reread at some point.

Yeah he's actually good, although I find his new stuff a little more difficult to get through than Umbrella Academy was. Which I guess answers your second question: he's still active, he's running DC's new Young Animal line (basically their new version of Vertigo), and is writing two of the lead titles on it, Doom Patrol and Cave Carson Has a Cybernetic Eye.

Top Bottom