• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix raised its prices again

Porcile

I'm one of the rare people that can seem to find good stuff on Netflix. If you think there isn't anything good, you're probably full of shit.

I'm not subscribed to any services besides Amazon Prime. TV shows and Netflix movies aren't hugely interesting content for me anymore, and the shows I enjoyed when I was subscribed to Netflix saw a big decrease in quality or were taken off the service. These days I would just rather be doing something else than vegging out in front of a screen.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Laughs in Plex.

Normal people find stuff just fine. It's just the elite alpha quitters that show up in these threads that can't.

It’s not the non Netflix content, it’s just Netflix created content is honestly shit and keeps declining and keeps increasing in percentage while everyone starts competing services.

Laughs in Plex.

It’s not the non Netflix content, it’s just Netflix created content is honestly shit and keeps declining and keeps increasing in percentage while everyone starts competing services.
Midnight Mass was one of their most recent releases and one of the best things I’ve ever watched.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Laughs in Plex.

I have watched tons of Netflix stuff that has been good to great, their Korean offerings alone have kept me happy. Honestly I think the bar has been raised, I don't see Orange is the New Black or House of Cards being must see TV if they released today. Who is actually producing amazing must see content? Paramount+ maybe?

sinnergy

Laughs in Plex.

House of cards, stranger things , umbrella academy are all great .. and there is more .. castlevania .. etc etc

Uhtred

What is the price cap that you guys place in which you would cancel your service?

For me I just kind of rotate in and out of different ones depending on what I want to watch at the time this is one of the more expensive services and I think it’s gotten a little crappy over the years so I deep in and out

20cent

Banned
Around US$11.90 for Premium where I live.

I'd consider cancelling it if it reaches US prices, for now Plex + Netflix is a good combo.

Kacho

Gold Member
I’m getting close to canceling. The content on offer is really bad and I struggle to find anything interesting when I browse. The few shows I give a chance like Witcher I drop quickly because it doesn’t click. I’m only still subbed because of my kids but we may just go Disney/Hulu exclusive.

KAL2006

Banned
I barely know anyone with Netflix these days they all use piracy apps that combine, Netflix, Disney plus, HBO etc all in one as well as any movie or TV show you can think of that are not even on these streaming services.

Alcibiades

I’m getting close to canceling. The content on offer is really bad and I struggle to find anything interesting when I browse. The few shows I give a chance like Witcher I drop quickly because it doesn’t click. I’m only still subbed because of my kids but we may just go Disney/Hulu exclusive.
I had previously given The Witcher a chance after looking for more fantasy after having binged through Game of Thrones, but it didn't click either. Only made it half an episode in though so I may give it another chance. Then I re-subscribed around 4-5 months ago and I'm having trouble finding something I want to watch. I went through Squid Game which was excellent, and recently watched the new Sandra Bullock movie (was OK) and Don't Look Up (enjoyed and thought it was funny). I see a lot of pretty good non-Netflix movies on there from other studios but I generally don't feel in the mood to watch. I watched the first episode of Arrow so I may start going through that.

The best thing to do with streaming channels is just to subscribe to one at a time, watch everything you want and then cancel and move on to the next one. If you rotate through them all once a year, by the time you come back there will be some new seasons of the shows you watched and new movies.

That's what I plan on doing if whoever subscribes to all the channels I use ever cancel their subscriptions.

Mattyp

Gold Member
I have watched tons of Netflix stuff that has been good to great, their Korean offerings alone have kept me happy. Honestly I think the bar has been raised, I don't see Orange is the New Black or House of Cards being must see TV if they released today. Who is actually producing amazing must see content? Paramount+ maybe?

Paramount+ at the moment for what I’ve downloaded, Mayor of Kingstown has been watch of the last 12 months so far.

Dexter New Blood eps 1-9 where good to until ruined with the 10.

Javthusiast

Banned
The price hike will be forgiven as soon as this hits.

dvZKBTC.jpg

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I'm one of the rare people that can seem to find good stuff on Netflix. If you think there isn't anything good, you're probably full of shit.

This.

Netflix has films, series in every genre and massive range of documentaries in various subjects from history, politics, biology etc. Not to mention other like game shows and reality TV.

If you can't find anything you like on Netflix then you must be dead inside.

dorkimoe

couldnt agree more. They have the best selection of tv shows hands down.

If they are going to keep raising the price they need to compete with APple or Disney on video quality. The 4k on netflix is complete ass

lillars

For whatever reason Netflix has the best UI. I can't explain how bad HBOMax and Amazon are. I sometimes just want to watch stuff on Netflix simply because of how much "prettier" it is. I also like a lot of their original content like The Witcher and their True Crime docs. I avoid all the woke stuff. They'll get my money as long as they keep up the good stuff, but I agree they are getting to the point of hitting their ceiling as far as monthly charges. At the very lest they need to make all tiers 4k capable. It's ridiculous that they still offer a plan that's 480p only this day and age. Throw your customers a little bone!

This.

Netflix has films, series in every genre and massive range of documentaries in various subjects from history, politics, biology etc. Not to mention other like game shows and reality TV.

If you can't find anything you like on Netflix then you must be dead inside.
What if someone is not interested in politics and reality TV? There’s actually very few good content. It truly is hard to find something good to watch since most of the releases are absolutely crap.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
What if someone is not interested in politics and reality TV? There’s actually very few good content. It truly is hard to find something good to watch since most of the releases are absolutely crap.

Name a type of TV show, documentary subject or genre of film/TV series and you'll find it on Netflix. There is literally something for everyone.

What are your interests? What are your favourite types of film or TV series? Whatever you answer, you'll find something to your taste on Netflix.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I cancelled Netflix. I feel like I get very little out of it these days. I have to sift through a lot of foreign content now - which is fine but if I am in the mood for that I'll seek it out, I don't need it dominating my suggestions and drowning out stuff I probably want to watch.

I also feel like they don't invest enough in their hits. For example The Witcher was a great, but I understood why they skimped on the budget for season one - taking a chance and all. It turned out to be a runaway hit. The second season started with a bang but then rapidly descended into even worse production values than the first season. Like, it's distracting how bad the wigs are for example, on everyone. If they don't care to give their most popular show a boost in production, then they have some nerve asking their customers for more money each month.

Bogeyman

Banned
I'm curious, what streaming service do you all actually watch frequently, if not Netflix?

It's still our most watched streaming service by far. Yes, it felt like they had higher quality stuff in the past, but there's still quite a few fairly watcheable new shows on there.

We have prime as well, but there have probably been a total of one or two shows we've watched on there in the past two years. Their library is absolute shit, everything interest comes at an extra charge.
I think we have AppleTV as well, but the fact I don't even know for sure probably shows how uninteresting their stuff tends to be to me.
I guess Disney+ could be interesting. I haven't looked into it much, I'd think it might be a bit too heavy on Star Wars/Marvel stuff to be an "everyday" sort of thing to watch.

Javthusiast

Banned
Netflix gives me a lot of content I like, especially asian dramas and movies. I never got the Netflix has no good content arguments online.

I'm curious, what streaming service do you all actually watch frequently, if not Netflix?

It's still our most watched streaming service by far. Yes, it felt like they had higher quality stuff in the past, but there's still quite a few fairly watcheable new shows on there.

We have prime as well, but there have probably been a total of one or two shows we've watched on there in the past two years. Their library is absolute shit, everything interest comes at an extra charge.
I think we have AppleTV as well, but the fact I don't even know for sure probably shows how uninteresting their stuff tends to be to me.
I guess Disney+ could be interesting. I haven't looked into it much, I'd think it might be a bit too heavy on Star Wars/Marvel stuff to be an "everyday" sort of thing to watch.
Recently I have been watching Ghosts and The Expanse on Prime. The Detectorists on Britbox. Binge usually has the blockbusters, SBS on demand has the arty movies, Crunchyroll the anime. Ozark season 4 is the latest that I watched on Netflix. Not a whole lot to watch to be honest.

We have Netflix, Hulu, Prime, Disney and Showtime. However 99% of the time I watch the free streaming sites like Roku channel, Peacock and Pluto which have live streaming and I really like just looking through the channel guide and letting the channel stream their thing as apposed to me having to browse, browse....browse some more or search for something I may want to watch. Most of the time, I have no clue what I really want to watch but a lot of the time I watch old TV shows that I grew up with. They just appeal to me more.

The only content I watch on Netflix is documentaries. Same with Prime. On Hulu I watch Married with Children or family guy. The only reason we have these is because my wife has certain series on each one that she likes. Like Showtime she'll watch Dexter. Handmaids Tale on Netflix or whichever app it's on...etc. I don't watch movies at all, I can't sit there and stare at a screen for no 2 + hrs straight. That's why I prefer YT and 22 minute sitcoms.

Algan

The price of Netflix's standard subscription in the U.S. seems to me very high compared to other countries.
In Brazil I pay about 7 dollars for the standard subscription with 5,000 items in the catalog.

netflix-503703.jpg

my buddy had the criterion channel streaming service

Thinking of getting it, has consistently great films

Worth checking out if you’re into that sort of stuff

Top Bottom