• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix raised its prices again

Decided to upgrade to premium when I got my lg c1 last month

It looks great, but the 4K content is fairly limited

$20 is pretty steep

I pay much less for Hulu and end up using it more

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I am definitely a freeloader for netflix but I wouldnt blame anyone for cancelling at this point. $20 a month is steep for the shows they offer that suit my tastes.

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
I find HBO Max a lot better nowadays, APV I use sometimes but its not the main reason I have prime for. Netflix has lost a lot of quality over the years but I'm still paying like 6 bucks in my region. I still find it hard to justify at times lol.

MacReady13

Here we go again, these are the new plans

• Basic (1 stream, 480p): $8.99 → $9.99
  • Standard (2 streams, 1080p): $13.99 → $15.49
  • Premium (4 streams, 4K): $17.99 → $19.99
But the streaming/subscription future is what we all want..... You will own nothing and accept it.

Hari Seldon

Netflix was previously a year round sub for me due to the amount of random crap that they have, but that is over. I think only Prime and Hulu are worth a full year round sub anymore.

Rival

Gold Member
19.99 plus tax for the 4K plan is pricey. I have access to someone’s account to watch the few things each year that interest me.

jason10mm

Gold Member
What is cable costing these days? I've been cable free for 4 years so really have no idea what network and basic cable even offers anymore.

Dr.Morris79

I only keep it at this point for my kid who watches cartoons on there. Its terrible to find things and the content isnt great.
Thats pretty much my stance on it, if it wasnt for the wife subbing I certainly dont think we'd have it at this point. The BBC licence fee got the chop three years ago, honestly dont miss that either.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
What is cable costing these days? I've been cable free for 4 years so really have no idea what network and basic cable even offers anymore.
Paying full price you are looking at something like $50 a month for the basic OTA channels. $80 a month will get you some actual cable channels.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
you could always VPN into american netflix, or better yet just stop paying for this junk altogether
I've had a go with VPN's awhile ago but don't seem to work with Netflix anymore. I only get it for a month at a time then cancel it, because I get through anything of interest pretty quickly and there isn't any point keeping it after that.

Both me and my girlfriend get twelve months of free subscription services from Disney+ and Amazon Prime Video with our o2 mobile phone contracts, so not all is lost.

GeekyDad

We just got rid of our Comcast cable TV because the kids are all out on their own, and my wife and I never really watch shows or movies on the TV anymore. We just kept the cable net service. And the only reason I keep Prime is because we usually end up saving money each year because of how much we shop on there. So, with that it's win-win. I watch a movie on Prime every now and then, and still get free shipping on most things.

Netflix has some comedy/movie stuff that interests me, but so far, nothing that's inspired me to subscribe. Not surprising, though, they're raising the prices. It's an ideal time for them, and they would have done it anyway. Honestly, it doesn't seem like a drastic increase, though.

I forgot whose netflix we use at this point. Kind of my bigger concern.

And, we have fully just started to migrate to what service is on sale or has something to watch. Then cancel. I'm sure streaming services will do weird things when most others do the same.

Subcription models just allow those who remember and manage to reep the benefits of the forgetful.

nush

Gold Member
Honestly, it doesn't seem like a drastic increase, though.

Less than a Starbucks coffee or something? Every time they raise prices, this is the same drama repeating. Just unsub for a couple of months if a couple of bucks is going to drive you into poverty.

GeekyDad

Less than a Starbucks coffee or something? Every time they raise prices, this is the same drama repeating. Just unsub for a couple of months if a couple of bucks is going to drive you into poverty.
Out of curiosity, can you do that with that service? Most of these companies seem to wanna lock you in for at least a year or two.

mclaren777

Thankfully, no price increases for the disc plan.

*crosses fingers*

VXXAaoI.png

Last edited:
not increasing here in the UK (yet). probably will end up something like:

basic - £6.99
standard - £10.99
premium - £15.99

currently it's £5.99/9.99/13.99. for comparison, disney+ is £7.99/month and prime video is £5.99/month. apple tv is £4.99/month. it's shocking that Netflix charges £13.99/month for 4K HDR. disney+, prime, and apple have that as standard.

anyway, i love Netflix so i'm gonna pay £13.99/month it to keep watching. if it does go to £15.99/month i'll keep paying. i do wish though that i enjoyed Disney/Prime/Apple enough to ditch Netflix but they services suck. the closest would probably be Amazon but it's hit or miss at best. only reason I'd get Disney is for Star Wars and there's not anything on Apple i want to watch.

JayK47

Based on their subscriber numbers, they can afford to keep raising prices. People complain, but keep their subscriptions.

Susurrus

T-Mobile pays for my standard plan, but I pay for the upgrade to 4k, so this takes me $9 to $10 a month...guess its not the end of the world, but I don't use it much these days so idk.

Top Bottom