• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix raises prices again

dorkimoe

Netflix is introducing price hikes for its US subscribers today, increasing its standard plan to $14 a month and its premium tier to $18 a month.

The new pricing for the standard plan is a $1 price increase (from $13 a month), while the new premium tier cost is a $2 increase (from $16 a month). New subscribers will have to pay the updated monthly fees, while current subscribers will see the new prices over the next few weeks as they roll out with customer’s billing cycles.

Industry insiders have long anticipated another round of price hikes at Netflix, which last increased subscription fees in the United States in January 2019. Recently, Netflix increased the cost of some plans in Canada. Netflix rolls out price changes on a country-by-country basis and the change “in the US does not influence or indicate a global price change,” a Netflix spokesperson told The Verge.

The price hikes also arrive at a time when people have more options for entertainment than ever before — especially in the United States. A few years ago, Netflix’s biggest competition in the streaming space was Hulu, and the company vied for people’s attention being split playing video games, watching YouTube, and sleeping. Now, the US alone has HBO Max, Disney Plus, Peacock, TikTok, YouTube, Twitch, and Fortnite. Oh, and sleep is still a factor. Netflix is aware of this. Prices are being updated “so that we can continue to offer more variety of TV shows and films,” a spokesperson told The Verge.

“As always we offer a range of plans so that people can pick a price that works best for their budget,” the spokesperson added.

PRICES ARE BEING UPDATED “SO THAT WE CAN CONTINUE TO OFFER MORE VARIETY OF TV SHOWS AND FILMS.”
The price hikes also come as Netflix is looking to invest more heavily into its content slate and product features. Netflix has increased its annual content budget every single year over the last seven years, spending a once estimated $18.5 billion in 2020 alone, though that may have changed this year due to the pandemic. Increased competition means Netflix needs to continuously step up its game to ensure it has both quality content and plenty of it, while also working to better the actual platform. That costs money, and price hikes come as a result.

probably should stop canceling the good shows if you’re gonna do this

Last edited:

dorkimoe

Cancelled it recently and am riding out my last few days.

It's depressing just looking at the same old shit every time I load the page. Feels like Blockbuster without the nostalgia. Low rent as fuck, meanwhile Amazon land Borat 2.
I personally think they have the best content out of all of them, but the landing page needs fixed. Stop showing me stuff I watched

I personally think they have the best content out of all of them, but the landing page needs fixed. Stop showing me stuff I watched

I've been going around in circles too much now, even with manual searching so I feel I already seen everything I would be interested in.

Rust Valley Restorers and Drive To Survive are awesome.

Some time away does you good, feels fresh when you return.

Last edited:

Rival

Gold Member
I've been going around in circles too much now, even with manual searching so I feel I already seen everything I would be interested in.

Rust Valley Restorers and Drive To Survive are awesome.

Some time away does you good, feels fresh when you return.
Here I thought I was the only one watching RVR. Absolutely love

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
lame

i've sorta tapped outta most movies and shows, watched everything i've wanted to with nothing left in the hopper

I’m in the same boat, there’s nothing new on the horizon that excites me let alone even has my interest really.

Been watching old shit instead when I do. Netflix has been cancelled.

Last edited:

Cycom

Banned
I haven’t watched any content (show or movie) in its entirety on Netflix in months. With this price hike I’m going to cancel tomorrow.

$216 a year for lame content and pedo shit? lol no.

And more importantly stop mixing free stuff with paid stuff.

Can't count how many times I spent 10 minutes looking for something to watch... Find something interesting and boom..."would you like to rent or buy?"

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
Amazon Prime is good enough for me. The fact that they pack it in with their prime shipping service is God tier. Between that and spotify, I am hella content

iorek21

Netflix is costing close to 50 brazillian reais whilst Prime Video costs 10.

I’ve cancelled this shit for quite some time now, nothing of value was lost.

brap

Banned
Came here to see all the losers shit post about Cuties. You guys didn’t disappoint.
You mind showing us your hard drive?

Amazon Prime is good enough for me. The fact that they pack it in with their prime shipping service is God tier. Between that and spotify, I am hella content
And prime actually has real movies. None of that garbage ass money laundering netflix shit.

Voltron64

Came here to see all the losers shit post about Cuties. You guys didn’t disappoint.
OAgzggh.png

sol_bad

Compared to what netflix spends on making and acquiring shows/movies, their profit margins are shit.
I always expected a price hike and it won't be the last.
Netflix need to really slow down on their expenditure.

Ironbunny

Its already getting too woke and disney like for my taste. I'm not willing to pay more for being bombarded with that shite. Their shows have been on a downhill slope quite a while now.

Price hike makes sense but as a consumer of media, Netflix is starting to seem less and less interesting to me. They cancel the shows I like or am interested in, I have a child, I don't like multiple services to cover shit.

With those factors in play Disney+, Amazon Prime makes more sense as a user for my particular needs. The fact that there are a billion different services is a freaking nightmare and will drive people back to cable faster.

Last edited:
I won't pay $14 a month for Netflix garbage. Sure I'd like to see S3 of Stranger Things and maybe S2 of Lost In Space and Dark Crystal but no thanks.

This is a dumb thing to do too when people are fucking hurting from lost jobs.

I'll just wait for a free trial.

Last edited:

mickaus

I cancelled Netflix a couple of years ago and then earlier this year they offered me a free month via email. I don’t know how long you have to wait but that is a good time to binge watch Netflix. I watched some Bill Burr and Chapelle and then cancelled, best free month ever.

I cancelled Netflix a couple of years ago and then earlier this year they offered me a free month via email. I don’t know how long you have to wait but that is a good time to binge watch Netflix. I watched some Bill Burr and Chapelle and then cancelled, best free month ever.
Yeah they do that a lot or at least used to. I would have Netflix and then cancel and 1 months later they're like "hey guy here's a trial" again.

Kimahri

Banned
They already raised the prices over here. I now pay the equivalent of almost 18 dollars per month. The thing that pisses me off about it is the reasoning behind their jump in price. One, is that they proudly proclaim they will use this to produce more local content, of which I have yet to watch anything because it doesn't interest me.

The other is that I have the 4K sub, but to get 4K, I also have to have streaming for up to 4 devices at the same time, or something like that. Which is bullshit. Don't force me to pay for things I don't need or use just because I want that other thing.

If they raise prices again I'll cancel.

And this is the 'consumer friendly' model so many are gleefully extolling the virtues of in gaming with stuff like Gamepass.

Honestly, I was already thinking it's only a matter of time before I ditch Netflix, this just seals it.

There's just too many subscription services now, and they're full of cheaply made original shit, with a few things you might want to watch, and the rights for which have been bought just to keep them off other services.

I've had Netflix, Now TV, Apple TV+ Disney+, Prime and Britbox this year, and keeping them all would be both stupidly expensive and an utter waste of time to get any worth out of it.

I'm thinking after Christmas I'll just keep Prime (because it has other uses) and Britbox (because old TV is better than modern rubbish). The rest really isn't worth the cost.

Last edited:
They already raised the prices over here. I now pay the equivalent of almost 18 dollars per month. The thing that pisses me off about it is the reasoning behind their jump in price. One, is that they proudly proclaim they will use this to produce more local content, of which I have yet to watch anything because it doesn't interest me.

The other is that I have the 4K sub, but to get 4K, I also have to have streaming for up to 4 devices at the same time, or something like that. Which is bullshit. Don't force me to pay for things I don't need or use just because I want that other thing.

If they raise prices again I'll cancel.
Yeah I won't ever subscribe to Netflix again.

In fact I'm done subscribing any of these services.

If I make it out the hole, only services I will subscribe is Nintendo Online for $20 a year and maybe Coast Insider which is around $30 every six months. That is all I need.

Edit: and/or Amazon Prime but I'd rather get that by upgrading my phone service.

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
And this is the 'consumer friendly' model so many are gleefully extolling the virtues of in gaming with stuff like Gamepass.

Honestly, I was already thinking it's only a matter of time before I ditch Netflix, this just seals it.

There's just too many subscription services now, and they're full of cheaply made original shit, with a few things you might want to watch, and the rights for which have been bought just to keep them off other services.

I've had Netflix, Now TV, Apple TV+ Disney+, Prime and Britbox this year, and keeping them all would be both stupidly expensive and an utter waste of time to get any worth out of it.

I'm thinking after Christmas I'll just keep Prime (because it has other uses) and Britbox (because old TV is better than modern rubbish). The rest really isn't worth the cost.

I think there's a big difference between Netflix and Gamepass. You can buy everything you play on gamepass, unless Microsoft suddenly do a 1080, that'll continue. You've never been able to buy anything on Netflix, it's all streaming. Microsoft has made an effort to make older games that are almost impossible to find physically available again through BC as well, so they're doing their bit to preserve gaming history.

Hakiroto

Does anyone remember when, at the start of the lockdown earlier this year, streaming services like Netflix said they were cutting streaming quality by 25% in Europe? Was that temporary or is it still in place? I've seen some things saying it was originally for a month but it's pretty hard to verify. I just thought about it again when seeing the price increase.

GymWolf

I just use the username and password of my sister for the rare times when they make something that is not complete shit :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Here they are again already raising prices, why do tv shows force you to raise the price on millions of your fans? no matter how good or bad the shows you have to maintain your fanbase, raising the price is not the best thing for streaming services and loses the original appeal to Netflix.

Old Retro

I still have tons of things in my watchlist. I started watching Schitts Creek to see what the hype was about. Binged most of the first season, it's fucking hilarious!

Top Bottom