• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix reinstates worker who spoke out against Dave Chappelle

Fbh

It's so dumb that there is a double standard. People get fired for nothing like Gina Carano for a tweet. Then this unstable cretin does actual damage to the company and gets to keep their job.

Yep.

Before I went independent, if I had broken into a meeting of the higher ups at my company to complain about something I didn't like, gotten suspended, then taken time off as soon as I was reinstated they'd have found a way to get rid of me ASAP.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
There’s no such thing as hateful comedy. If it’s comedy, its intent is to bring joy and make people laugh.

If something is done with the intention to hurt, that isn’t comedy, that’s bullying.

It’s a shame people can’t distinguish between these two realities. But the incessant desire to be a victim is what makes it difficult.

terra-field-329.jpg

kill-it-with-fire-26319875.png

This meme needs to come back.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I wonder if this was "you are suspended for a week without pay" that became "Imma gonna take a few days off work to sort myself".

I expect Netflix will institute some pretty draconian termination level infarctions from here on out. They won't let themselves be out-bullied like this again.

dr_octagon

Banned
Netflix just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how many know about video streaming culture (I'm an expert), but boardrooms and meetings are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in Google where you can become successful by riding a unicycle in an open plan office.

If you disrupt a meeting of seniors in America you bring shame to yourself and the shareholders. The American public, after hearing about this, will not want to watch Splatoon and they will watch Amazon instead. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Netflix has alienated an entire market with this move.

Netflix, publicly apologize and fire coloured hair employee #007 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Last edited:

Ionian

Seriously busted up laughing, what a character he was.

"I ate half a gummy" like a champ.

Oh he had issues, lives at home with his parents and turned on this site once ERA started.

Still eats fast food and does nothing for himself. I nearly feel sorry for him.

We all have our problems I guess. He should have known better than go out like that, I know he still reads here.

Mistake

People like Terry Field are part of what drove Dave Chappele’s friend to suicide. After that kind of outburst and hiring them back, netflix is staying true to their colors, even if they host Dave.

belmarduk

Personally, I think the trans community would garner a lot more respect if they learned to laugh at themselves some more and just roll with the punches. Better yet, they could dish out the jokes too.

Oh they do. Gay bars will often have drag shows and sometimes the performers are really funny, sometimes not.
Definitely not all of them are like the Resetera twats or this Philip Seymour Hoffman lookalike in the OP.

While she is in the wrong for a shitty opinion, getting fired for attending a meeting you were given an invite link to is ridiculous so I support her keeping her job

The way they talked about it originally was like she stormed into a room where a meeting was occurring
She wasn't given an invitation for the meeting.

The story reported by most news outlets leaves out that this was a board meeting by senior leadership (director/VP) and it's clear that's not her title.

I don't know why this person decided to, as if explanation is required that you go in and crash a board meeting as you feel like it.

Clearly, there are better channels to speak out on issues in large corps. than telling the Finance director you're upset.

Yoboman

She wasn't given an invitation for the meeting.

The story reported by most news outlets leaves out that this was a board meeting by senior leadership (director/VP) and it's clear that's not her title.

I don't know why this person decided to, as if explanation is required that you go in and crash a board meeting as you feel like it.

Clearly, there are better channels to speak out on issues in large corps. than telling the Finance director you're upset.
One of the directors shared the link to the meeting

GymWolf

Oh they do. Gay bars will often have drag shows and sometimes the performers are really funny, sometimes not.
Definitely not all of them are like the Resetera twats or this Philip Seymour Hoffman lookalike in the OP.
Oh cmon dont compare that thing with philip, he was fat but he had his charme, the only charme this thing has are the entire package of lucky charms that she eat every morning...

Winter John

It's shitty to attack someone for the way they look. I don't agree with what they say, and I think it's dumb as hell to publicly attack your employer. Netflix did the smart thing here. Firing her would've only enflamed the situation and lead to more bad publicity. I guess they'll quietly let her go when her contract ends

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
It's shitty to attack someone for the way they look. I don't agree with what they say, and I think it's dumb as hell to publicly attack your employer. Netflix did the smart thing here. Firing her would've only enflamed the situation and lead to more bad publicity. I guess they'll quietly let her go when her contract ends
It's a chosen look. I don't think it's appropriate to ridicule or mock a person based on their normal apparence. Not the case here.

And many of them wonder why people think they are weird, dont get promoted to better jobs, and people dont ask them out for dates or invited to parties.

You dont have to be great looking. Most people in life are average looking, but live life with normal social interaction and work. I'm an average guy and like 40 lbs overweight. I get by life fine at work and with friends. Some of my best friends I still have I did kindergarten with them! Known them for 40 years!

But if you make yourself look and act like an outcast, most people will stay away. And chances of getting a good job sink down the toilet. Which means someone like this will lash out more struggling with making money.

Sometimes in life, you got to act and look the part. Someone can be a rebel all they want, but nobody says other people have to accept it.
I mean, she's a senior software engineer at Netflix, and probably paid 200 to 400k a year. That's pretty successful by any measure.
Criticize all you want, but she is successful.

Last edited:

Winter John

It's a chosen look. I don't think it's appropriate to ridicule or mock a person based on their normal apparence. Not the case here.

Making up some kind of arbitrary rule as an excuse for being an asshole is weak as fuck pal. I'm not innocent of it. I've done it too. Everyone does. At some point you got to grow up and treat people with a little respect.

Top Bottom