• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix says it has 40 more game releases lined up for 2023

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The company began offering Netflix subscribers access to a library of mobile games through the Android and iOS versions of its app in late 2021.

In an update on Monday, Netflix said it currently has 16 first-party games in development and a further 70 in the works with third-party studios.

“This year we’re going to continue building our portfolio — and that means new games every month,” Leanne Loombe, Netflix’s vice president of external games, wrote in a blog.

“Members will discover indie darlings, award-winning hits, RPGs, narrative adventures, puzzle games and everything in between, and we’re working with the world’s leading studios to bring you these games.”

The second of three Ubisoft exclusives coming to Netflix, Mighty Quest: Rogue Palace, will be released on April 18.

Murdoch

They really need to partner with Sony, Nintendo, and / or Microsoft so people can play these games on platforms other than phones and tablets.

They are looking to put their games "everywhere you can currently access Netflix" from what they've said yesterday. It's ironic that Netflix have done more for Mobile gaming than Google and Apple of late.

Microsoft will try to buy Netflix.
It is too expensive right now. It would cost around 150-170b. Maybe if they accumulate enough cash? I do curious about the partnership that Netflix and Microsoft has in ads. It should kick off this spring I guess.

I do think that Microsoft will try to grab TikTok (again) if it were to be sold. Out of all tech giants, Microsoft is the only one that can do that without issues. Amazon owns Twitch, Apple owns iMessage, Facebook (owns a lot), Google has Youtube.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
It is too expensive right now. It would cost around 150-170b. Maybe if they accumulate enough cash? I do curious about the partnership that Netflix and Microsoft has in ads. It should kick off this spring I guess.

I do think that Microsoft will try to grab TikTok (again) if it were to be sold. Out of all tech giants, Microsoft is the only one that can do that without issues. Amazon owns Twitch, Apple owns iMessage, Facebook (owns a lot), Google has Youtube.
What's iMessage got to do with it, not that I imagine Apple wants to buy it anyway?

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
ryan reynolds hd GIF

Is anyone subscribing to Netflix because of their games portfolio? This is such a waste of time, effort and money for a streaming service...

The Chinese will never sell TikTok; it is too powerful a tool.

On some conspiracy theory ish, the only way I see that happening, is if, TikTok is banned in the US, and the Chinese sell to a big US company, while keeping a large amount (not controlling, obviously) of shares, so they can still keep their foot/eyes/fingers in the US market.

I don't sub to Netflix to play games for fucks sake. What is wrong with them?

Use that money towards improving the library of movies and tv shows. Just an idea.

What's iMessage got to do with it, not that I imagine Apple wants to buy it anyway?
Yeah I don’t see how iMessage would interfere Apple from buying Tiktok. Amazon should also have the ability to buy Tiktok. Neither has shown interest tho.

Microsoft is the obvious player.
Google would have a hard time because of youtube. And Facebook should have zero chance.

If USA government forces them, ByteDance will sell it. Like it happened with Grindr that was also owned by a chinese company.

After all, the attempt to sell it happened once under Trump administration (?)? Though I believe it went to Oracle but then the deal was scrapped or something.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Netflix said it currently has 16 first-party games in development and a further 70 in the works with third-party studios
Probably 20 of them right off the bat are 3 gem matching or flash quality games.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Just took a quick look on iOS and didn’t realize they’ve already put out a bunch of games. Familiar indie stuff and to my surprise a TMNT beat ‘em up.

I haven’t played anything on my phone in ages, so I’ll gladly take it.

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

ryan reynolds hd GIF

Is anyone subscribing to Netflix because of their games portfolio? This is such a waste of time, effort and money for a streaming service...
I guess someone must be playing those weird games. I bet several are actually good. I'm just going to never find out cause I can't be bothered to play something like that on Netflix.

They look like the free games Google has sometimes behind their search banner on specific anniversaries

Baki

Easy purchase for MS. They make 70B year in profit. They can finance it through debt or through stock (MS is worth 1.8 trillion). People don’t realise how rich the big 3 are (Apple, MS, Amazon). Almost no acquisition is out of reach for these companies. They make more money than countries.

Last edited:
Easy purchase for MS. They make 70B year in profit. They can finance it through debt or through stock (MS is worth 1.8 trillion). People don’t realise how rich the big 3 are (Apple, MS, Amazon). Almost no acquisition is out of reach for these companies. They make more money than countries.
Microsoft does not like to take debt or use its stocks to fund acquisitions.

KXVXII9X

I can never keep track of the narratives on forums so help me out. I thought people loved indie games and hated AAA games. Netflix games has well received indies like Into the Breach, TMNT: Shredders Revenge, Spiritfarer, and Oxenfree. While these aren't big games, they are certainly more complete than most mobile games on the App/Play store.

So much unnecessary negativity and misinformation. Most of these games are MTX free and are actual games.

Tams

On some conspiracy theory ish, the only way I see that happening, is if, TikTok is banned in the US, and the Chinese sell to a big US company, while keeping a large amount (not controlling, obviously) of shares, so they can still keep their foot/eyes/fingers in the US market.

They wouldn't be given a choice. Well, they would: sell to a US company or just have it taken from them.

But that's off-topic.

Stitch

Gold Member
Just took a quick look on iOS and didn’t realize they’ve already put out a bunch of games. Familiar indie stuff and to my surprise a TMNT beat ‘em up.

I haven’t played anything on my phone in ages, so I’ll gladly take it.
Try Poinpy and Shatter

Baki

Microsoft does not like to take debt or use its stocks to fund acquisitions.
Microsoft does all cash deals because target companies prefer cash and they need to do something with the enormous cash piles they have. MS like all companies, still takes on debt, and usually funds some of these “all cash deals” with some level of debt.

Spyxos

Gold Member
It's probably cheaper to develop 10 mobile games than an expensive series. Now still included for free, but we all know in a few years the games selection will make for Netflix price increase.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

According to iOS developer Scott Moser, code in Netflix's iOS app suggests a feature will allow players to use their iPhone as a controller for games. It's important to note that this has not been officially announced, however, so Netflix subscribers will have to settle for the current method in the meantime.

Teletraan1

Banned
Instead of wasting money on things like this they should have put the money into supporting the shows they have on their platform. When the general public doesn't want to start one of your series because they are afraid that it will be cancelled after 1 season you fucked up and this games initiative does little to fix one of their biggest issues atm.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Netflix could be seeking to develop live service games, according to a job posting on Linkedin. The company is seeking a Senior Producer for their Live Operations team with years of experience developing and shipping live service titles. Netflix has been expanding its offerings in gaming, launching mobile games within its Netflix subscription back in 2021.

Netflix offers mobile games that are free to play with every Netflix subscription. Netflix plans to expand its internal gaming services and is likely seeking to avoid the same failures Google made with its Stadia program, which was shut down due to low users. Live service seems like the next step for Netflix, which does not generate revenue directly from gaming.

Netflix

This role will focus on our Live Service Games from a production perspective, managing live games, including roadmaps, scoping, dependencies and release of content updates. You will manage Live Service Production with external development partners across a slate of multiple titles. You will take the lead as an external developer’s primary point of contact, working with developers on creation of project and milestone schedules, as well as post launch content update planning, and overall development plans; provide ongoing management check and balance throughout the full live operations of the title, from launch onwards.”
More specific requirements are listed below, with preferred experience for those experienced in mobile gaming live service, and having experience with shipping such games. Since this posting is a senior-level position, Netflix is likely ramping up its internal game development. Whether or not these live service experiences come to current games or will be a part of future titles is unknown.

Netflix

nial

Gold Member
I'll give Netflix props for at least funding first-party titles for its own platform. Something Google never did, apparently.

Top Bottom