• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix to Begin Cracking Down on Password Sharing in Early 2023

ReBurn

Gold Member
As much as I travel they're going to be annoying me for codes all the time. I've been a subscriber since Netflix began streaming and I've been on the 4K plan since it launched. I'll drop it like a hot rock if they treat me like a thief.

I fucked off after Cuties, so...

I Dont Morgan Freeman GIF

Billbofet

I canceled Netflix a couple of years ago from low interest. My mom was sharing my password and unknown to me, watched NF all the time. When I canceled, she ended up subscribing and I use her credentials.
If they crack down, so be it. By far the least used streaming service in my household. The quality is few and far between and other services are really putting out some amazing quality stuff the last couple of years.
Hulu particularly has gone for a total joke to having some of the best shows I have seen in a while like The Bear and Fleischman is in Trouble.

cripterion

You really think split families are gonna pay two subs for your piss poor content? Like putting 4K and multiple viewing behind the highest sub wasn't enough.

nush

Gold Member
You're saying that Netflix shouldn't crack down on people who aren't paying to use their service?

Listen here you little shit, have you even seen the new Wednesday Funkos?

Wednesday-Funko-1000-01.jpg

How the FUCK am I supposed to keep up with the merch AND pay for a Netflix sub? Do you want me to STEAL? Take these Funcos from the store because I gave my money to Netflix?? Of course not that would be ILLEGAL and depriving the store of income. It that what you want? Cause, that's what'll happen. I mean, I suppose I could SHARE my moms credit cards details. I mean it's just sharing and she paid for Netflix so why would she have a problem paying to SHARE Netflix and not the card details?

You know what, if anything? I'm doing FREE exposure for Netflix talking about the show and telling everyone how great it is. Netflix should be paying ME for promoting their show and getting more subs for them. So It's not like I'm PIRATING the show or anything, I'm watching it actually ON Netflix and not some ILLEGAL pirate website. IF THEY BAN PASSWORD SHARING THEN THEY ARE ACTUALLY FORCING ME TO PIRATE and I don't support piracy at all.

So get over yourself ASSHOLE and stop sucking corporate DICK!

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
You're saying that Netflix shouldn't crack down on people who aren't paying to use their service?
Yes. Because what they think will happen is that they will see a rise in subs.

They won't. Their subs will go down.

clarky

Gold Member
Hows this going to work? i work offshore and watch at work during down time while the family watch at home. if they stop me from doing that ill definitely be cancelling.

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: Fuz

OZ9000

Banned
Will they limit sharing only outside households? We have 4 TVs in the house that use Netflix. If I lose this then it's goodbye netflix.

Last edited:

MacReady13

I’m just so happy that streaming is a very profitable business and that it doesn’t matter when these big companies lose subscribers, cause they’re making billions a year through there 100 odd million subscribers! I can’t wait until every industry has subscriptions so we can all never own anything and pay these awesome companies to control what we can and can’t watch! Yay!!!

• Empathy

Soodanim

Count me among those that think it would be a net loss if streaming services decide to stop password sharing. None of them have GabeN's philosophy, and the greed will make them cut off their nose to spite their face. Not just Netflix, all of them. Each company that decides to go it alone makes the situation worse when they ask more from people.

Especially in these times when people don't have the money for it all. The people that band together and buy multiple services between them all so that they all benefit will give that up, and there won't be a net gain among those groups of customers because that was never an option for them in the first place. If it's just one service cracking down it will push people towards other services that don't.

If Netflix are relying on people needing it for their young kids, they are underestimating the availability of content on YouTube.

Netflix blaming everyone else but themselves for how they spend the money they get isn't going to do them any favours.

FunkMiller

What about if you’re travelling? I do a lot of it, and if I have to pay extra to watch my own subscription, just because I’m moving about… well, no, actually. I’ll sail the high seas instead.

Last edited:

Pejo

"Throwing out the baby with the bath water" - the corporate move.

I'm a little curious to see how this works out for them. I know a lot of people don't unsub just out of inconvenience, but this might be enough to urge those people over the line. Then again, at least in the US, consumers are taught to "consume, don't ask questions, move on to next product" so I'm sure a % will eat this up as something necessary or good.

• Empathy
Top Bottom