• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix Unveils First Details of New Anti-Password Sharing Measures

SJRB

Gold Member

Netflix accounts are still shareable, but only within one household. To ensure that your devices are associated with your primary location, Netflix is now asking users to connect to the Wi-Fi at your primary location, open the Netflix app or website, and watch something at least once every 31 days.

Traveling users who want to use Netflix on a hotel smart TV, company laptop, etc. can request a temporary code from the service when signing in. This will give them access to their account for seven consecutive days.

Signing into home Wi-Fi at least once every 31 days on your devices will make them “trusted devices,” which Netflix will remember and leave unblocked.

If your device has been blocked incorrectly, you’ll need to contact Netflix in order to get it unblocked.

I love watching the lovable underdog become the hated establishment over time when meteoric success consumes them and competition catches up to them.
The whole point of it is convenience. Actively making things harder for your customers to your own benefit is always the sign of a company on its way down. Streaming was good back in 2015, kinda like the rest of culture. Now I'm back to the high seas.

Lasha

How much money are they going to lose because of this? Because I feel like a lot of people aren't going to bother buying their own subscriptions.

Hard to say because a good portion of people sharing passwords are leeches like me. The primary account holder uses it as well.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Honestly this sounds awful. Couldn't they have made it easier?

I dont share my Netflix at all but also we have devices that never log onto Netflix unless we are travelling like old tablets and stuff. Having to authenticate those with a special code sounds super lame.

EDIT - Ya our main device which uses Netflix (Shield Pro) is connected with an ethernet cable. So what is this WIFI stuff?

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Honestly this sounds awful. Couldn't they have made it easier?

I dont share my Netflix at all but also we have devices that never log onto Netflix unless we are travelling like old tablets and stuff. Having to authenticate those with a special code sounds super lame.

EDIT - Ya our main device which uses Netflix (Shield Pro) is connected with an ethernet cable. So what is this WIFI stuff?
I travel a lot for work so almost all of my Netflix usage is away from home. I don't even have a main Netflix device. If this change makes it a hassle to use the service then I'll just move on.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I travel a lot for work so almost all of my Netflix usage is away from home. I don't even have a main Netflix device. If this change makes it a hassle to use the service then I'll just move on.
The code solution only works for 7 days, what do I do if the holiday is like 10 or more? Sure you do not view Netflix but then what the heck am I paying them for that month?

Last edited:

Meicyn

Gold Member
I paid the $20/month because it was for four simultaneous streams. What does it matter which household it’s happening under.

It’s cool, when my two friends can no longer use the service, I will be canceling. The basic tier streams at 720p for $10/month. Get fucked. I’m not paying $20/month for just myself for 4K.

Lasha

The code solution only works for 7 days, what do I do if the holiday is like 10 or more? Sure you do not view Netflix but then what the heck am I paying them for that month?

I'm more interested in what to do if I'm in 3 different cities in 7 days.

Actual travel is pretty easy to distinguish from account sharing. My guess is that trusted devices can authorize a session like some banking apps. You would then only need to connect to a trusted network once in awhile.

Drew1440

I use a network cable though
You will probably have to install the Netflix app on your smartphone and then authenticate it that way.
I'm curious if this affects users who have a WiFi booster or repeater, some operate on a different SSID by default.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Actual travel is pretty easy to distinguish from account sharing. My guess is that trusted devices can authorize a session like some banking apps. You would then only need to connect to a trusted network once in awhile.
If I'm logging into hotel smart TV's or Roku in vrbo's in different cities then I would need to be constantly authorizing new devices in new locations that are never going be on a trusted network.

I agree that actual travel would be easy to distinguish, but Netflix is saying that they don't intend to try. That's why they're planning to make people like me jump through hoops to do temporary authentication. My situation is an edge case for Netflix. If the service becomes too much of a hassle for me I'll just stop using it and move on.

SJRB

Gold Member

I can only assume you have to reapply for another code that gets you another 7 consecutive days.

BlackTron

So it's past the tipping point where they care about losing people who subbed for convenience at range. You know, people who want to be able to watch movies anywhere without carrying around DVDs lol.

Losing that is nothing to them compared to being a home cable TV replacement for everyone else.

It's like the comment about there being a console for people in the military or not connected to the Internet called the Xbox 360, when the One was unveiled. Fuck you pretty much. Wait, how did that turn out again?

Edit: I use my Netflix account all over the place, but within a small range. Like I have a lot of friends and family within a 50 mile radius and I'm not sure what house I'll be at any given time so I have tons of IP addresses. This change is pretty much the final nail for Netflix in my eyes. If I can't use the account on my dad's TV 20 minutes from where I live without notifying them I've already lost interest.

Last edited:

Lasha

If I'm logging into hotel smart TV's or Roku in vrbo's in different cities then I would need to be constantly authorizing new devices in new locations that are never going be on a trusted network.

I agree that actual travel would be easy to distinguish, but Netflix is saying that they don't intend to try. That's why they're planning to make people like me jump through hoops to do temporary authentication. My situation is an edge case for Netflix. If the service becomes too much of a hassle for me I'll just stop using it and move on.

Hotel Netflix is its own app put together by the in-room entertainment companies so hotels are probably less of an issue. What is VRBO?

BlackTron

All this plotting to catch grannies being included in a family plan

I just had a terrible feeling, like millions of old people all cried out in frustration at once and suddenly perished.

EvUdTAQ.jpg

LordCBH

None of these other services seem to have a problem with password sharing. Maybe if Netflix didn’t green light every single project brought to them? They’re wasting how many million on shit like One Piece that’s destined to be shit and fail.

Last edited:

OZ9000

Banned
All my TVs are connected to the router via an Ethernet cable. Furthermore, I use Netflix app on Windows.

What is this 'connect via Wi-Fi' bullshit?

Pagusas

Elden Member
Good luck Netflix, you fucking idiots.

All my TVs are connected to the router via an Ethernet cable. Furthermore, I use Netflix app on Windows.

What is this 'connect via Wi-Fi' bullshit?
For your smart phone, lots of people watch netflix on their phones exclusively.

Last edited:
So some weirdo who uses a PC without a WiFi connection has to contact Netflix to activate their device if they want to be able to view Netflix content?

OZ9000

Banned
Good luck Netflix, you fucking idiots.

For your smart phone, lots of people watch netflix on their phones exclusively.
Why do we need to sign in via Wi-Fi to establish a 'home location' when the ethernet cable should be sufficient?

This seems like a very stupid way to enforce connectivity.

Meicyn

Gold Member
I suspect when they say wifi, they mean router, which means anything connected via ethernet would be fine.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Why do we need to sign in via Wi-Fi to establish a 'home location' when the ethernet cable should be sufficient?

This seems like a very stupid way to enforce connectivity.
I think you are reading too much into that and over thinking it. Wifi is jsut a geenral term alot of people will associate with their home internet, its just easier than saying "connect to your home router". Your smart TV/wired devices will get to act as that home authenticators, and that should be that.

My bigger question is what are they going to do about users with a dynamic public ip? Regardless this whole thing is incredibly stupid. Just sell a family pack with x amount of concurrent logins allowed. Thats all you have to do, everyone would be happy. Instead they created this stupid system. My creative cloud subscription does it perfectly, i can use it on any device, anywhere, with the limit only 2 instances can be active at a time., Sign in on a 3rd? If you are listed as a admin/owner it ask you if you want to kick the other instances off. Its that easy, it works, it allows freedom while also keeping you from sharing it unlimitedly.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
So some weirdo who uses a PC without a WiFi connection has to contact Netflix to activate their device if they want to be able to view Netflix content?

I'd assume that the "prove you're not a pirate!" question only pops up in case the same account is using completely different IP addresses.

It's still going to be a hassle for people who travel all the time. What Netflix should really be looking for are instances of the same account simultaneously being active but using completely different IP addresses.

Last edited:

NickFire

Since they charge for additional streams and have always let people share those extra streams, the government(s) should force them to drop every single account to a single stream offering. If people still want multi-streams they will log in and hit the option. Screw their TOS. They allowed a common practice to form with glee over the rise it gave them. If they want to change the reality deal, they should take the hit to make sure no one is paying for something taken away.

BlackTron

Since they charge for additional streams and have always let people share those extra streams, the government(s) should force them to drop every single account to a single stream offering. If people still want multi-streams they will log in and hit the option. Screw their TOS. They allowed a common practice to form with glee over the rise it gave them. If they want to change the reality deal, they should take the hit to make sure no one is paying for something taken away.

I doubt we are gonna need the government's back on this one. As you said it's all about the reality deal. Regardless of the on-the-books rules, it's about what you really get. When people see that change, they will react. And I don't mean on Twitter, I mean what they're willing to pay for. I have a feeling that the sub is not worth it for a HUGE swath of their base with this rule. Let's see how it pans out for them though...I'll get popcorn ready

I share services between members of the family, and I don’t personally don’t see the value in Netflix so we won’t sign up.

Not a loss for Netflix in terms of money, but it’ll hit word of mouth about shows and their viewing figures quite drastically.

Lasha

The government would only have power if Netflix ever implied that the streams were meant for users from outside of the same household. The subscription site has always said "intended for the same household" so the government has no grounds for enforcement. Get the person paying for your Netflix account to cancel. That's the only way to effect real change.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
This sounds like a pain in the ass. I travel every week and have a fire tv stick that I just use while traveling. Now I have to remember to plug it into a TV and access Netflix once a month or it gets blocked and I have to contact customer service? They better have a simpler way than having to sit in a queue to contact customer service its bad enough that people like Apple and HBO constantly boot you and require you to sign back in.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
They are just mentioning Wi-fi as it's how most people use their devices.

Wireless and wired devices both share an IP address of your router, that's the important part.

None of this sounds particularly bad to me, I think people are misunderstanding some things.

Lame for travel I guess, but also seems pretty damn doable.

I think this will be an issue for people who travel for work a lot though. But I always just download stuff ahead of time anyways, since wi-fi is spotty as hell in hotels even today. But either way.. I also use a device that logs into my home network so it's not that big of a deal.

Just leave notifications on for Netflix and it'll connect to their servers w/o you ever watching anything.

Last edited:
Good move for their bottom line, as much as I hate it. I've been mooching off the same account since streaming was a thing.

Meemaws around the world are going to be very confused!

Last edited:
Top Bottom