• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix's new movie Don't Look Up

Atrus

Gold Member
Netflix has that Goodbye 2021 show with Hugh Grant. In the trailer at least I can't tell if it is mocking wokism or embracing it. Anyone know?

I’ve seen both 2020 and the better 2021 version. They’re in the middle and never misses an opportunity to mock so they target both sides. I don’t think they ever miss a beat to mock Joe Biden.

They have the old right-wing British guy (Hugh Grant), the white trump supporting mom, the left wing tech billionaires, the left wing millennial YouTuber who “cares”, the scientist who nobody listens to.

I found that satire to be better than Don’t Look Up personally.

FunkMiller

I hear you but I think they were just lampshading how some people willfully ignore things when it affects their bottom line aka money. It could have been subtler but I think they went with an OTT approach on purpose to drive home the fact that people put money above everything else.

It’s probably the fact it had to be so OTT and blatant to get through to stupid people that I have an issue with 😂

marcusessmith84

Neo Member
I just finished the film last night and I must say it is frightening how much it reflects today's society. I hope this film just gives everyone some self awareness and realization of the world we’re living in.

Aggelos

I just finished the film last night and I must say it is frightening how much it reflects today's society. I hope this film just gives everyone some self awareness and realization of the world we’re living in.

It's not a film, it's a documentary.
It documents reality and how people, societies, politicians, decision-makers, and governments will react should there ever be a comet/asteroid heading towards Earth on a collision course.

BlackM1st

Banned
It's not a film, it's a documentary.
It documents reality and how people, societies, politicians, decision-makers, and governments will react should there ever be a comet/asteroid heading towards Earth on a collision course.

movieposter.jpg

Watch this if you still haven't.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
It has taken on new meaning with the looming possibility of nuclear war.
Think I am going to rewatch this and '13 days' as a good horror double bill.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Those of you who didn’t like the movie, do you find the GEICO commercials funny? Just curious

"Dad is old".

I literally make everyone stop talking and point at the TV when that commercial comes up. It's my way of making the world just a little bit brighter. I'm no hero.

Mato

So I'm watching the movie right now. I know it's supposed to be satire, but that only works when there's some truth in it. Such news would be taken so lightheartedly. Meryl Streep's character is completely phony and stupid. I'm not laughing yet.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
So I'm watching the movie right now. I know it's supposed to be satire, but that only works when there's some truth in it. Such news would be taken so lightheartedly. Meryl Streep's character is completely phony and stupid. I'm not laughing yet.
Then you haven't been paying attention.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Netflix has that Goodbye 2021 show with Hugh Grant. In the trailer at least I can't tell if it is mocking wokism or embracing it. Anyone know?
SOLD!

best type of humour

edit: ok made it thru 30 minutes, it was terrible

Last edited:
Top Bottom