• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix's new movie Don't Look Up

Roni

Gold Member
we watched this on christmas eve and it was annoyingly bad 90% of the time but jennifer lawrence with the weird haircut was still hot and cate blanchett looked nice too

i know it was trying to play satire on current day USA but still made it look like whole world is about the US, didnt understand why the hell
it is implied BASH and the US actually sabotaged the UN mission to ensure they did what they wanted. Rylance is pretty much the asshole from Horizon Zero Dawn...

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
Don't take my comment as a critique of the movie so much as an explanation as to why I have ZERO interest in watching it.

I'm just sick of the endless proselytizing, especially when its fronted by people who are just famous or pretty - as if that gives them the eminence and intellectual heft to weigh in on these big subjects.

If Covid and everything surrounding it has proven one thing to me, its never to take a single perspective or source of information as the complete truth. You can't simply trust "the science" because the scientific community doesn't speak with one voice. There's obviously an orthodox position, but that tends to be shaped by politics, and politics are infinitely corruptible.
don't overthink it, if the idea is sound there's no point in criticizing the messenger. that's just spreading FUD...

kondorBonk

It was fine. Nothing really new or controversial.

Falls into a safe/predictable satire that isn't really poking the bear. Media vain, government incompetent, corporations greedy. If you're going to do a dark comedy/satire about the end of the world, satirize some more taboo themes.

I guess it's not funny enough to be a comedy and it's not clever enough to be thought provoking. It's honestly pretty forgettable.

Like everyone else is saying. Idiotcracy is the far better executed style of movie this seemed to want to be.

Majmun

Terrible movie. I never watch comedies, but this one seemed interesting because of the asteroid.
I should stop watching comedies, no matter the premise...

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
I enjoyed it as an intentionally depressing cringe comedy. Leo's character was the most interesting in that it showed how even a smart and level-headed person can get sucked into this type of modern nonsense if surrounded by it long enough.
Exactly how I felt about his role. I loved him in this. All the cast was great imho.

Yoboman

Have not and will not watch, but I enjoyed Kyle Smith's scathing review:
Read the quote though, certain libs are very panty twisted that the movie takes more shots at their Democrat bubble than republicans. And they all hate David Sirota cause he is an outspoken critic of Obama and the Clintons, no wonder certain people are panning it in reviews

They even think thr Hilary Clinton pandering Veep is some hallmark of comedy

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

I finally watched it. It was not a comedy in any way. Basically it's what would happen in a positive way if we're lucky. I've been working in defense for the last two decades and reality is even worse.
Did you like it?

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Did you like it?
Absolutely not. I have worse interactions in my job. I don't see the humour, I expect the "real" reactions to be the worst.

I LOVE dark humour movies. This is not it. This actually better reality.

Last edited:

Winter John

Gold Member
I watched his movie The Big Short a few weeks back so I was hoping this would be as good as that was. It wasn't. Turned it off maybe 30 minutes in and put My Cousin Vinny on instead.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Read the quote though, certain libs are very panty twisted that the movie takes more shots at their Democrat bubble than republicans. And they all hate David Sirota cause he is an outspoken critic of Obama and the Clintons, no wonder certain people are panning it in reviews

They even think thr Hilary Clinton pandering Veep is some hallmark of comedy
Errr.. you seem confused.. "National Review" is not.. a liberal site lol

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Sirota worked for Bernie, but I don't know details about all the intramural Democratic feuds except Clinton people hate Bernie people and got Bruenig fired.

An actually good conception of how the world would deal with a huge calamity is Andy Weir's new novel Hail Mary. I'm sure it will be filmed at some point, but read the book now.

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
It's a very obvious allegory for global warming, and the absurdness of the behavior is meant to illustrate how absurdly the left sees anyone who doesn't have global warming in their top 3 priorities.

I thought it was a fun movie, but very clumsy with its political statements ("just trust the fucking scientists!"). Jonah Hill's character got a few chuckles out of me.

C+

NecrosaroIII

It's a very obvious allegory for global warming, and the absurdness of the behavior is meant to illustrate how absurdly the left sees anyone who doesn't have global warming in their top 3 priorities.

I thought it was a fun movie, but very clumsy with its political statements ("just trust the fucking scientists!"). Jonah Hill's character got a few chuckles out of me.

C+
I loved it's take on Tech Saviors. Was hilarious.

The last 15-20 minutes of the movie are utterly brilliant

Outlier

Man.... A lot of harsh critique in here.

Yes the movie feels a bit long, but I liked it more than I thought I would and laughed a few times.

I'm not a comedy movie guy, but satire seems to get me best.

Steaming this to my tv was a mistake, with all the dense details turning to pixel vomit...

7/10

I would suggest watching movies less frequently, so when we do watch we're more likely to enjoy. :^)

vewn

With this insane cast I expected something of quality but the directing was just so bad/random at times - what a trainwreck. The often serious tone of the flick made most of the jokes fall flat, I can see that they tried to do a social satire but real life has them beat in comedy.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Wasn't this the entire point of the movie? To show that real-life nowadays is the mother of all absurdity?
Yes, but they had zero subtlety. I can hear the echoes from the writers tapping themselves on the back for how meta and clever they were.

It is a movie able to still direct and tell a great human story (stories), but it is too long and knows it is trying to be clever and meta (gets meta about being meta), kind of does take the satire to an extreme and too blatant point almost as if they wanted to be making satire about how people make satire.
They could have improved the movie by cutting at least 15-20 minutes too.

Last edited:

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes

C+

But if you really have global warming as a top priority, why would you have an internet router, a big screen TV, and some streaming device (plus Netflix's servers) consuming energy and creating carbon dioxide just so you can binge watch Fuller House on Netflix?

Mobilemofo

I enjoyed the movie, it reminds me of Idiocracy.
I think critics are being too harsh with the reception of the movie, movies are meant to explore the absurd scenario of the world and such circumstances taken to the extreme, not everything has to be a critical cerebral masterpiece. For what it is and exploring societies absurdities, this movie definitely touches on those points. Societies bar is pretty damn low. If people are looking to postpone the pandemic by not taking the shot, people are more likely to deny an earth killing asteroid.
i think the metaphorical asteroid thats likely to kill us all is humanities own stupidity. i've been saying it for years..the stupid will kill us all (randy quaid rant over lol)

IntentionalPun

I think this movie is a social experiment to see how cynical people can be about some dumb movie.

Jesus Christ.. I turned it off after half an hour because I got a bit bored, but good gawd... this movie has people frothing at the mouth lol

MastAndo

Lol, you guys really need to lighten up. It was a excellent flick! I can see though why some folks wouldnt like it, but that doesn't make it a bad movie. It was highly enjoyable.
Seriously, a lot of twisted panties, over a comedy movie to boot. This isn't exactly the Last Temptation of Christ.

MastAndo

Just humour me. I’m curious.

I didn't think it was bad at all. The Idiocracy vibes were strong, and I thought some moments were pretty damn hilarious - particularly the one where Leo and Jennifer Lawrence first appear on The Daily Rip and the hosts downplay the whole life-altering segment with smarmy one liners compared to how seriously they took the celebrity breakup segment just before it. It's a pretty funny satire of the banality of a large segment of American media culture right now. Sure, there are not so thinly-veiled Trump barbs, but I didn't find the point expressing that political gain is always king to be a partisan one.

IntentionalPun

I just put this shit back on... got a chuckle out of the astronaut saying funny shit lol

Will live blog other chuckles.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
But if you really have global warming as a top priority, why would you have an internet router, a big screen TV, and some streaming device (plus Netflix's servers) consuming energy and creating carbon dioxide just so you can binge watch Fuller House on Netflix?

TLDR: you're literally one of the banal masses this movie is making satire of because of a lack of foresight, education, and inability to critically think even the tiniest bit. Also just a general lack of wit and humor. Sorry to be blunt but you're pretty much self owning yourself here.

Top Bottom