• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix's new movie Don't Look Up

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war

Its a movie thats saying this is what it's like with most republicans and climate change.
Which I know the right dont have the same electric vehicle goals and are more for fracking and coal, so maybe this movie is accurate?

Konnor

Its a movie thats saying this is what it's like with most republicans and climate change.
Which I know the right dont have the same electric vehicle goals and are more for fracking and coal, so maybe this movie is accurate?

Republicans do act like that regarding climate change, then again Democrats pretend they don't but their actual actions say otherwise.

Regardless, the movie was still painfully unfunny and treated its audience like complete morons. WE GET IT, you don't need painfully unfunny scenes to hammer the point down again and again and again and again. Compare this trash to 80's and 90's comedies, Jesus Christ Hollywood is fucking pathetic.

Sosokrates

Republicans do act like that regarding climate change, then again Democrats pretend they don't but their actual actions say otherwise.

Regardless, the movie was still painfully unfunny and treated its audience like complete morons. WE GET IT, you don't need painfully unfunny scenes to hammer the point down again and again and again and again. Compare this trash to 80's and 90's comedies, Jesus Christ Hollywood is fucking pathetic.

Kinda what I suspected that the dems are not much better at greener energy. They just say they are.
Im all for bettee energy, but leo and media narritive is not always accurate. Fracking for example is a lot better for the environment then coal but people act like fracking is really really bad.
Nuclear is good too.

However there are companies/people that have a shit ton of money but still continue there business which is damaging to the environment

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
Hollywood stars really have been giving less and less of a shit which roles they take as time goes on but I was surprised to see DiCaprio finally cracking and taking something like this. I figured he'd never take roles that were "beneath" him. But here we are.

Saw the trailer and it looks mildly interesting, but also weird as fuck and potentially awful.

Doubt I'll bother with it, didn't pique my interest enough to watch it.

Kimahri

Banned
Hollywood stars really have been giving less and less of a shit which roles they take as time goes on but I was surprised to see DiCaprio finally cracking and taking something like this. I figured he'd never take roles that were "beneath" him. But here we are.

Saw the trailer and it looks mildly interesting, but also weird as fuck and potentially awful.

Doubt I'll bother with it, didn't pique my interest enough to watch it.
What are you on about? This was a great role for him, he nailed the character. Say what you will about the movie, and I think it'd be far better with some trimming, but this was no "whatever it is you think this was" job for him.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes

Putting a meaningful dent in carbon emissions goes way beyond selling a few more electric cars. It would require a fundamental top-down change in lifestyle for everyone.

Sosokrates

Putting a meaningful dent in carbon emissions goes way beyond selling a few more electric cars. It would require a fundamental top-down change in lifestyle for everyone.
I didn't say it was lol.

I dont think life would be much different.
Drive an electric vehicle, eat less beef etc

The biggest change will be how meterials are made, plastics, glass, concrete etc are not big contributers to green house gases. Also energy companies need to transition to green sources.

Tams

Gold Member
I didn't say it was lol.

I dont think life would be much different.
Drive an electric vehicle, eat less beef etc

The biggest change will be how meterials are made, plastics, glass, concrete etc are not big contributers to green house gases. Also energy companies need to transition to green sources.
It's not as simple as 'just switching' though.

These are fundamental changes and most of us are just being armchair environmentalists.

I used to study climate change, but frankly, at this point I think we deserve to go extinct. At least I'm not under illusion that I'm helping.

Sosokrates

It's not as simple as 'just switching' though.

These are fundamental changes and most of us are just being armchair environmentalists.

I used to study climate change, but frankly, at this point I think we deserve to go extinct. At least I'm not under illusion that I'm helping.

Who said it would be simple?

Kimahri

Banned
What a load of bullshit. Everyone says it's a fundamental change, everyone but those who've made some changes to their lives and found it to be almost embarassingly easy.

Wanna make a change? Buy less clothes, buy less shit you don't need, eat less meat, eat your leftovers, stop throwing away food, walk more, get a bike, stop getting holiday houses, stop going on vacations around the world all the time. If just a 100, then a 1000 then a million and so forth did this it would have an enormous impact, and it takes so stupidly little effort to do it. It's not hard. It's easy. You don't need to have a PHD in the universe and everything in it to make these changes. All you have to do is be an adult and stop making excuses. Speaking generally of course.

Tams

Gold Member
What a load of bullshit. Everyone says it's a fundamental change, everyone but those who've made some changes to their lives and found it to be almost embarassingly easy.

Wanna make a change? Buy less clothes, buy less shit you don't need, eat less meat, eat your leftovers, stop throwing away food, walk more, get a bike, stop getting holiday houses, stop going on vacations around the world all the time. If just a 100, then a 1000 then a million and so forth did this it would have an enormous impact, and it takes so stupidly little effort to do it. It's not hard. It's easy. You don't need to have a PHD in the universe and everything in it to make these changes. All you have to do is be an adult and stop making excuses. Speaking generally of course.

Your comment is one of the significant problems. Many activists like you completely misinterpret. I wasn't referring to person changes (although realistically, they don't do that much anyway, but I digress). No, I was referring to changes in energy use. These will take monumental investments by governments and to quite an extent a complete upheaval of the infrastructure.

And yes, those things really should be done if we don't want some horrific climate change. But walking to work is going to do next to diddly swat in terms of that.

Mate, I've actually studied this stuff. Mainly from the science side as to how ecosystems interact with carbon and methane, but also a bit on the social side. Come back to me once you've been 50+ tabs deep at 2 in the morning the library getting your head around it.

Kimahri

Banned
Your comment is one of the significant problems. Many activists like you completely misinterpret. I wasn't referring to person changes (although realistically, they don't do that much anyway, but I digress). No, I was referring to changes in energy use. These will take monumental investments by governments and to quite an extent a complete upheaval of the infrastructure.

And yes, those things really should be done if we don't want some horrific climate change. But walking to work is going to do next to diddly swat in terms of that.

Mate, I've actually studied this stuff. Mainly from the science side as to how ecosystems interact with carbon and methane, but also a bit on the social side. Come back to me once you've been 50+ tabs deep at 2 in the morning the library getting your head around it.
"Mate", your mistake is thinking I'm an activist.

Kimahri

Banned
Sorry, wannabe activist.

Because you clearly want action to be taken, and by others not just yourself.
And that is... Bad?

I don't really know what this hostile attitude from you is about, but you're not intimidating anyone. Quite the contrary.

Unless you can stop acting lile a child, don't bother responding.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I liked it. I thought it had some issues with the tone of the movie. It kept going back and forth between far more subtle satirical humor and then all of a sudden they'd throw really extreme over the top in your face satirical humor at you with Jonah Hill. Then go back down to subtle, then go back to over the top again. But aside from that, I had fun with the movie. And I love the emo J Law look :messenger_smiling_hearts:
:messenger_smiling_hearts:

Didn't get the point of Timothe Chalamet in the movie at all though. Felt pointless and they just added him to just have one more big name. Remove him from the movie and nothing important changes whatsoever.

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
I liked it. I thought it had some issues with the tone of the movie. It kept going back and forth between far more subtle satirical humor and then all of a sudden they'd throw really extreme over the top in your face satirical humor at you with Jonah Hill. Then go back down to subtle, then go back to over the top again. But aside from that, I had fun with the movie. And I love the emo J Law look :messenger_smiling_hearts:

Didn't get the point of Timothe Chalamet in the movie at all though. Felt pointless and they just added him to just have one more big name. Remove him from the movie and nothing important changes whatsoever.
Definitely. There was quite a bit of fluff they could have trimmrd away for a much bettet experience. At 2.5 hours it was just too long.

We ended up watching it over two days. But I'm seeing quite a bit of positive chatter about it online.

Konnor

What are you on about? This was a great role for him, he nailed the character. Say what you will about the movie, and I think it'd be far better with some trimming, but this was no "whatever it is you think this was" job for him.

It's another generic Netflix product that 99% of us will have completely forgotten by next month, this is definitely not DiCaprio level of movie. The only thing good about it was him.

Monokrom

I didn't know Subaru made telescopes

It is named after the open star cluster known in English as the Pleiades. It had the largest monolithic primary mirror in the world from its commissioning until 2005. It's a japanese telescope.

suabru_afternoon.jpg

Edit: Oh it was a reference in the movie, lol. :D

Last edited:

DarkestHour

Banned
lol movie hit too close to home for you guys i see

Yeah, no shit.

Pretty much my thoughts as well.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
me too bro.. what is the point of that entire character?

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
me too bro.. what is the point of that entire character?
Yup until that point all the characters are politicians, entertainers and tech people. TC's character represents the normies. People caught up in all the noise who don't know who to trust

ZywyPL

Banned

As an European I can say that I also felt like this is more of a documentary than a comedy movie, that's how we actually see Americans (sorry guys), like, that's exactly what I believe would've happen if a meteor was about to destroy the planet (maybe except with much more riots on the streets). That's what made the movie so funny/enjoyabe for me, that perfect portrait of typical American citizen.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
As an European I can say that I also felt like this is more of a documentary than a comedy movie, that's how we actually see Americans (sorry guys), like, that's exactly what I believe would've happen if a meteor was about to destroy the planet (maybe except with much more riots on the streets). That's what made the movie so funny/enjoyabe for me, that perfect portrait of typical American citizen.

Now you got me interested. Can Americans really make fun of themselves without triggering themselves though?

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Have you guys seen this? Holy shit it's bad. Like really really bad. The cast is full of stars but the script, the "jokes", nothing works
It doesn't work for you because in a way it walks a fine line of subtlely between being entirely fictional and having a sense of realism attached to it.

Don't Look Up reminded me of Look Who's Back (Er ist Wieder Da) about a what-if story where Hitler wakes up in the 21st century and tries to take over the world again. Parts of it were shot as if they were unscripted, which leads to this uncanny feeling where people once more start buying into Hitler's idea's.
I enjoyed the movie, it reminds me of Idiocracy.
I think critics are being too harsh with the reception of the movie, movies are meant to explore the absurd scenario of the world and such circumstances taken to the extreme, not everything has to be a critical cerebral masterpiece. For what it is and exploring societies absurdities, this movie definitely touches on those points. Societies bar is pretty damn low. If people are looking to postpone the pandemic by not taking the shot, people are more likely to deny an earth killing asteroid.
This is exactly what i got out of the movie aswell. The premise is absolutely absurd, yet at the same time you can imagine that people at the White House think and will make such decisions as shown in the movie. This is how an European looks at the US in a lot of ways.

People will deny everything if your influence is convincing enough. That's basically the gist of the movie and why it works.

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
The movie was terrible. Bloated and just monotonous in tone. It wishes it had half the nuance as Idiocracy.

The only thing I liked was the last 2 minutes of the end credits.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Now you got me interested. Can Americans really make fun of themselves without triggering themselves though?

I think they just aren't aware how the rest of the world sees them, so they wanted to make fun of themselves not knowing how real the end result actually is.

The movie was terrible. Bloated and just monotonous in tone. It wishes it had half the nuance as Idiocracy.

The only thing I liked was the last 2 minutes of the end credits.
People comparing it to Idiocracy. I mean. That movie was really good I enjoyed the hell out of it. This one is just bad.

DarkestHour

Banned

There's plenty of people in European nations that are the same way. To say this culture is American only is quite laughable. Look in the mirror.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Eh, finished it. The idea was kinda interesting but the execution pretty poor. They didn't need to throw in celebrity actors into it either, especially that creepy boyish looking dude.

Jonah Hill made me chuckle a few times, other than that... meh. The movie didn't move me at all.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
It's as subtle as a Mac Truck plowing through a crowd. You can't explain the subtlety because there is none.
There is, and its in the kind of satire Don't Look Up is after. You have these governmental people who take obviously very serious things with little to no contempt, to the point of ridicule and going over the top.

A similar thing could be seen in US politics regarding certain issues.
I don’t think you know what the word “subtle” means
Try addressing the point at hand instead of making an attempt at being witty.

Top Bottom