• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix's new movie Don't Look Up

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Another thing to add about this movie:

Leo yelling instantly adds one extra grade to any movie. Leo has overtaken Pacino as the best yeller in movies. With Wolf of Wall Street being his pinnacle yelling moments.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
I thought the movie … was actually worth a watch, and that Leo’s performance as the hapless professor was truly excellent.

I felt that the movie’s quieter moments, and the last act, is when the movie shines, and the dinner table scenes were great. It’s a shame that there wasn’t more of this more grounded interpersonal tone, instead of the absurdist idiocracy-esque narrative we got for most of the movie instead. The movie felt wildly at odds with itself. I was ready to give up in the first 30-45 minutes, but glad I held on.

I liked the premise and the message the movie was trying to convey, but McKay was all over the shop with this movie, and he had the deftness of the political and class extremes he was trying to send up. Should have given the movie or script to Sorkin instead … and the movie would have been legendary.

It also helps to watch this movie after watching Matrix Resurrections … because the latter will make anything else seem a masterpiece.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
If we are talking about global warming... it's funny that it's such a discourse in the USA. I thought everyone there must be ok with it, given everyone wants to live in big houses with big gardens and are happy to commute and burn gas for a couple of hours every day. Not to mention neighborhoods made in such a way that walking anywhere is seen as crazy.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
If we are talking about global warming... it's funny that it's such a discourse in the USA. I thought everyone there must be ok with it, given everyone wants to live in big houses with big gardens and are happy to commute and burn gas for a couple of hours every day. Not to mention neighborhoods made in such a way that walking anywhere is seen as crazy.
People are ok with it, which is why nothing is getting done. They just don’t want to admit it publicly.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
BadBurger BadBurger and 12Goblins 12Goblins loving this movie and insulting anybody who doesn't tells me it's something I don't need to watch, well it confirms it I should say; I kind of already had a clue when I saw the cast.

isglwGq.gif

Endangered08

Neo Member
Watched it a couple nights ago. Decent movie that could have reached greatness if the writers could have restrained themselves from the obvious over the top jabs at the right in the second half. When watched with the parallels to global warming in mind it makes me roll my eyes. When watched with covid in mind it somewhat works.

Then you have the fact that everyone in this world are dumb idiots aside from two main characters and their families, they are the only smart ones on the planet apparently.

There is hits on the media, social networking, big tech, government, sheep like population. But they somehow tie it all to the right. Its right-wing media, big tech is in bed with the right-wing government, crazy military racist gun shooting at the comet ron perlman, capitalist executives on the ship at the end, big rallies (dont look up yaddayadda). It was a slow burn that got tiresome by the middle of the movie onwards.

meh, 7.5/10 for me. I still wanted to stick through to see the plot play out, and the ending at the family dinner was good. And giving the main character some character flaws was a good idea.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Mainly watched it cuz of Leo and the director made the big short some parts were funny jonah hill and ron perlman cracked me up "what's the hold up mother fukkers light this cracker up i don't got all day" and when he started shooting at the comet 😂

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Great film.

It's actually scary how accurate the film is in terms of how humanity would react to such an event.

BlackM1st

Banned
Amazing movie.

I hope it will win some awards so more people would watch it.

It really is crazy when people can't accept facts just because it was said by someone from the opposite side.

What also is crazy is that there's always should be a side.

No place for individuals and honest personal opinions lol You're either rep or dem, Ms or Sony, red or blue...

All in all: great movie.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I don't think humanity would be in denial of a comet. The more likely scenario is everyone would freak out, riot, burn and loot every city to ashes.

Of course you'd have your bands of weirdos who either say it's fake news or it's god's plan to refresh humanity and we'll all be born anew after it hits. But you get that with anything.

bitbydeath

I loved it, how could you not laugh at the absurdity of America needing a hero and sending Ron Pearlman on a suicide course, alongside a series of controlled drones when he wasn’t even needed there!

This was Idiocracy 2.0

I loved this movie! Watched it twice already (traveling internationally so needed lots of time to kill). Sad part is, I can definitely see this happening. Leo, Jlaw, hill absolutely killed it

Why are the critics so out of touch with this movie? Perhaps they think the movie is talking about them

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
I loved this movie! Watched it twice already (traveling internationally so needed lots of time to kill). Sad part is, I can definitely see this happening. Leo, Jlaw, hill absolutely killed it

Why are the critics so out of touch with this movie? Perhaps they think the movie is talking about them
The movie IS talking about them.

I don't think humanity would be in denial of a comet. The more likely scenario is everyone would freak out, riot, burn and loot every city to ashes.

Of course you'd have your bands of weirdos who either say it's fake news or it's god's plan to refresh humanity and we'll all be born anew after it hits. But you get that with anything.

I wonder what it would feel like to get pulverized by the explosion, or wake up at the sight of a mile high wave coming your way at a sonic speed? I would rather have the asteroid land on me, honestly...

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It was really good. Kinda sad since it’s pretty true :p
The Apple musk guy was too funny

Last edited:

miles118

Clear reality on how society has dealt with climate change and most certainly Covid which treated the virus as a political issue rather than a global issue that needed to be dealt with together. The real message here however is how the scientific community is less heard and people prefer hearing dumb opinions profered by dumb people, rather than facts by scholars who actually did study and did research on the subject all their life.

The real comedy is watching overpaid, overprivileged, rich people tell the rest of us how we need to change our lives to "save the planet" while swanning between gigs in private jets...

The irony is that they are actually in an economic position to make some small difference*, but I highly doubt that's a consideration high on their list when they invest/hide/spend their fortunes.

Shut. The. Fuck. Up.

*As opposed to the billions of the rest of us, who really don't.

They make fun of all people and even stars are mocked (spoiler : Just look at the break up scene between the two stars in the movie). I do not understand why this opinion on celebrity should just "shut up" comes from. Celebities have influence whether you like it or not. They can make a good message be heard across a large audience better than anyone else. If not who is going to talk about climate change, covid and stuff ? Someone who is not known ? But the message will not be heard. At some point you just have to leave your hate filled bias aside and admit that there will always be people who are more popular, richer or more powerful than you and me. It will always be the case and it is actually good that some try to do good.

Last edited:

miles118

Also I am european and I see some people here who actually believe this is just an american issue. It's not. I see a lot of people deny covid death count numbers, spread lies about the vaccine etc. All this in France, Germany, and the UK. So it's not just an american thing.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Clear reality on how society has dealt with climate change and most certainly Covid which treated the virus as a political issue rather than a global issue that needed to be dealt with together. The real message here however is how the scientific community is less heard and people prefer hearing dumb opinions profered by dumb people, rather than facts by scholars who actually did study and did research on the subject all their life.

They make fun of all people and even stars are mocked (spoiler : Just look at the break up scene between the two stars in the movie). I do not understand why this opinion on celebrity should just "shut up" comes from. Celebities have influence whether you like it or not. They can make a good message be heard across a large audience better than anyone else. If not who is going to talk about climate change, covid and stuff ? Someone who is not known ? But the message will not be heard. At some point you just have to leave your hate filled bias aside and admit that there will always be people who are more popular, richer or more powerful than you and me. It will always be the case and it is actually good that some try to do good.

It's because actors are usually insufferable with their bullshit messages. I think -now- with climate change it's the first time they actually are helpful though, so I agree with you. It looks like on the climate issue things will work out now though. The tribalism, wokeism and fake news in the US might be a bigger issue in the next decades.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

Honestly speaking, you know going in it is hard to dislike a popcorn movie like that. In terms of entertainment value the premise alone delivers, but movie as a movie is bad.

Didn't mind one bit, had finger on skip for stupid parts and overall a good dinner movie watching with others.

Trilobit

Movie as a whole was a meh, but with two very bright spots:

Leo - Wow, can he act! He was very good here.
Soundtrack - I'm not talking about Adriana Cringe, but rather the main title that runs throughout with the trumpets. Amazing and too good for this movie!

Last edited:

Yoboman

Because its co-written by David Sirota who has been a massive critic of the Clintons, Obama and Biden

Democrats love to be told their party is doing something while they do absolutely nothing and take money from oil, and this movie takes the veil off.

The fan response has been good, the imdb is right in line with McKay's other movies

Yoboman

Its absurd but that's the point. As soon as there was money to be made, the divide and conquer machines of social media and news networks politicise the issue and something we should all be united on becomes a ridiculous political debate

sCHOCOLATE

Is there a percentage of humanity that believes the Earth is flat?
Is there a percentage of humanity that believes cancer can be cured through prayer?

We (humanity) would be lucky if freaking out, rioting, arson and looting were the extent of the chaos preceding a catastrophic event.
I have a sneaking suspicion that worse (read: more barbaric) things would occur before the final curtain.

xrnzaaas

There are some good things in this movie like making fun of how people think these days and how they're addicted to social media and dumb celebrity stories, how the scientists think & act differently to others or how the billionaires may have world leaders in their pockets, but sadly it's all one sided. Since this is Netflix you can't make fun of the Democrats or the leftists, only Republicans and rednecks aka Trump voters are targeted.
The dumbest part of this movie for me was how it tried to sell the story that China & Russia initially wouldn't do anything about the operation led by an American corporation and that later they would have only one attempt to launch their own mission after they've been refused profits. Feels to me like the writers still think America is the world's greatest superpower and the rest of the world is forced to bow to them. In the real world China would likely alienate themselves from the world and launch their own mission without asking anyone for cooperation or permission. Or World War 3 would start even before the comet hit.

Last edited:

Sakura

The average American has an ecological footprint about 10x that of the average Pakistani. Are Pakistani's having 10x the amount of babies as Americans?
Currently, you are right. I think the future implications are the bigger issue here though.
India, for example, has nearly tripled their emissions in the last 20 years. Same is true with China.
The US, however, has seen emissions decreasing.
Consider that much of the developing world is planning to increase emissions significantly in the coming years and decades. Any cuts in emissions by the first world will likely be overshadowed by the increases in emissions in the rest of the world.
Personally I am of the mind that we will soar far past 2 degrees, and well before the end of the century.

first world countries burn through way more energy than third world countries

Energy consumption seems kind of misleading, or at least not a complete picture. For example, how much of China's energy consumption comes from coal vs the US?

Last edited:

clem84

Gold Member
I really enjoyed it. The political satire stuff, yeah agreed with some, disagreed with others. It's a look at the most ridiculous aspects of our societies, and it is hyperbolic, I don't think humanity would self destruct quite in such a ridiculous manner, but those criticism are still valid. Good performances. Some funny moments. Kate Blanchett = :messenger_fire:. They made Elon Musk too... I'm not even sure how to say, he lives in his own bubble? Too autistic looking? EM isn't that bad. lol

Fun movie. I would recommend it.

Top Bottom