• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Never Been More Convinced That New Gen Should Have Started In 2021

OrionNebula

From next to impossible to find any next-gen console in retail stores for a full year+, to trying to push out a Halo game a year shy of its cooking time (can’t imagine how different things would be if Infinite released last year) to meet console launch, to the idea that PS4/XBOne still had gas left in the tank, to a crapload of games being delayed (due or not to Covid), to console features that could have came out more fleshed out, I still don’t get what was the rush to put out a new console gen in 2020

I wonder why that is, aside from the usual reasons (money, opportunity linked to covid situation (which is a doubled-edged sword))

anthony2690

Banned
I personally feel 2021 has been one of my fave years ever for gaming.

Even still I had games to play at launch even in 2020, I was personally blown away by Valhalla even if I felt the game overstayed it's welcome towards the end.

& 2022 looks to be another exciting year.

The consoles launches were fine in 2020 imo.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
If they released the systems now you still wouldn't be able to buy them easily for another year. Components shortages aren't going anywhere fast.

In that world, PS4/XB1 both do have gas left in the tank, where gas is a market of 100m+ people worldwide.

So far it's mostly been a "gen" (we need to ditch that word, it doesn't really even exist any more) for early adopters to squeeze the most out of games everyone else is playing using better hardware, with the exception of a few PS5 hits - but really, what's the use in delaying that stuff if it's ready to go? They were never going to arbitrarily shelve the console or games for a year when they're ready. Sony and MS are in a constant fingergun-pointing-standoff with each other to blink first, nowhere was this more noticeable than the lead-up to the new system reveals. Neither of those companies want to be the guys releasing new hardware a year later.

Kagey K

Banned
We have a bunch of cross gen games coming next year from a first party, I don’t see how delaying it might of helped.

Hopefully by the other ppl going next gen only, this really gets into gear in 2023.

Its funny that MS ate all the shit about cross gen games into the lead up, but they will pioneer next gen only games going forward.

Last edited:

GametimeUK

I hadn't played my PS4 properly in sooooooo long. I've played a load of PS5 and Series X over the past 12 months. Came at the right time for me. It almost feels the same as when a new GPU breathes new life into my PC this time round. Auch better first year than the PS4 / Xbone imo.

Great Hair

Banned
BEABSqF.gif

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
I was tired of the previous generation and got a PS5 at launch. From there on out i got to play all the new games and the older ones with better performance. I wasn't even able to play all the games i wanted. So i'm actually very satisfied with the beginning of our current generation in 2020 and the joy it brought me through the technological advancements.

But i (try) understand your point of view.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
So you think we would have got better consoles? I’m not following…
Hardware wouldn’t change in a year.

or do you think they would sit on consoles building up large amounts of stock? That would be dumb for them as they have to pay to have product sit in warehouses and then there would still be just as many people clamoring to get them.

Quasicat

Was able to pick up a Series X at launch, but I’m so convinced that I’m not going to find a PS5 in stores for at least another year that I popped an SSD in my PS4 Slim. It’s a considerable enough upgrade, that I’m thinking I can wait for a few years if need be.

baphomet

I swear it's like none of you have ever been through a console launch and think you could just walk in and buy a 360/Wii/PS3/PS4/etc at launch or even a few months later.

Perrott

Gold Member
This has to be the most stupid stance on whatever the hell this discussion about when the next-gen consoles should have come out is.

Things would've played out the same (stock and lineup wise) regardless of the year, so it is always better to get started with all the shit that comes with a new console generation (cross-gen phase, limited stock, etc) as soon as possible.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
The reason is: competition. Unless Sony and MS had some agreement to both delay, neither was going to.

And even w/ a delay, things like buggy OS's might not necessarily be solved. There's nothing quite like selling a few million units to consumers to really "test" something. You'd be surprised how many bugs just aren't found until something is released.

In the end, PS5 had a pretty good launch all things considered game wise.. a bit of a barebones OS but it.. works. MS from a buginess perspective wasn't too bad either; other than quick resume.

For me my PS5 has mostly been used for last gen games.. and it's awesome.. because the thing is so damn fast.

Last edited:

retsof624

I'm more than happy with these consoles. Getting faster load times, higher framerates in crossgen games and games from last gen has been great. Even playing games that don't have any updates still have slightly faster load times and more stable performance. I'm loving both consoles and it's only gonna get better

Jaybe

Nope. I’ve Been thoroughly enjoying my XSX since Nov 2020. Quick resume, SSD, FPS boost, and it maxing every dynamic res game. Chef’s kiss.

Gargauth

That would be cool. Even less people would get their consoles in year's time if they started production of these consoles this year as opposed last year before semiconductor shortage became as big problem as it is today.

We have a bunch of cross gen games coming next year from a first party, I don’t see how delaying it might of helped.

Hopefully by the other ppl going next gen only, this really gets into gear in 2023.

Its funny that MS ate all the shit about cross gen games into the lead up, but they will pioneer next gen only games going forward.

Which next gen only games are coming from xbox studios in 2022? I can't think of many. Only starfield comes to mind. The rest are 2023 onwards.

Yeah...i'd love to have my PS4 PRO for one extra year, exploding every time i played something at 30fps instead of all these PS5 upgrades + all the PS5 games at a smooth 60 fps. Plus how fast the OS is in comparison.

not

What a silly take... then you would have more games being made for last gen hardware and having to wait yet another year for real next gen exclusives. That plus another year of pent up demand, with even more people wanting to buy the new hardware. It's not like companies produce and stock consoles years in advance so they can sell 30M year one xD

Btw, the only people having problems finding hardware were the idiots that thought "nah, i can afford to wait" when the consoles got announced. Everyone that wanted one on day 1, preordered them and got the hardware.

Plus, pretty sure anyone that wants an xbox can get one any time, it's not like they sold out afaik.

Then 2021 would be just like 2020.
It's just a first year of any console....
I agree to a point, but this isn't like any console. No consoles have ever been THIS scarce over a year later. Wii and PS2 came close, but not to this extent. And it will probably be just as bad throughout all of 2022 as well.

Yoboman

If next gen started in 2021 then 2022 would have been the year with the lack of games. And games like Halo, Forza, Spiderman MM, Horizon etc may have just been left as last gen games

Its not like devs get an extra year of development. In fact it may have been worse because entire development cycles for next gen would have started during covid

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
I'll give you one reason they released next gen consoles last year.

Investors.

Given how much money Sony and Microsoft are making from consoles these consoles. Id say investors are very happy.

xPikYx

I think it is more a matter of stopping with this cross gen shit. They could have been launched in 2030 but releasing crossgen game it would not have made any difference. They got to stop this and that's it!

Last edited:
Delaying makes zero sense. They clearly have no trouble selling the hardware, so delaying would have been wasted opportunity. They can always push out pro mods and keep the update cycle going. Who gives a duck about when halo infinite launches, the community begged them to delay it already.

Roufianos

I don't understand, what was lost by the new consoles releasing? What does your proposal offer in place of all the amazing experiences I've had on both consoles?

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
The main factor for me was how much time devs had time with dev kits before release.

Although something tells me it wouldn't have mattered too much as only a handful of studios seem to be capable of releasing tested games that are not full of bugs.

Nah, PS5 came to me just in time in 2020.

I was getting so sick and tired of the jet engine and slow machine that was PS4 Pro. Almost made me a PC gamer. Now I'm able to hear the sounds coming from the games and the OS is so snappy.

PS5 made me a From Software fan and I've been able to play their games at 60 fps (except that one game that no one cares about). I don't think I've played a single game running at 30 fps on PS5 so life is good and just the way I was craving for during the last gen.

Dualsense is vastly better controller than Dualshock 4 though I would really like an Elite controller or back button attachment.

New consoles don't usually hit their stride until 2-3 years
This ^

There was never going to be a perfect time, they had to get them out, with the tech that we have now they can just continue to add and update what is needed so why would they wait?

No one is being forced to buy a new console right now. Waiting to buy one is a option.

Last edited:
And risk the competition gaining a lead of 10-20 million? I don't think so. There's also no new architecture they could use yet so what's the point?

onQ123

And it would have failed because of the chip shortage & shipping problems & devs would still be focusing on crossgen

Top Bottom