• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New ‘Earthworm Jim’ Game in Development, exclusive to Intellivision Amico.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who you may ask?

The intellivision Amico is apparently a thing that is not sponsored by Mattel so keep your expectations in check:

Article:

https://variety.com/2019/gaming/news/earthworm-jim-3-details-1203202256/
Ten of the original programmers, artists, audio team members, and level designers have come back together to work on a new “Earthworm Jim” game for the upcoming Intellivision Amico video game console, the company announced Tuesday morning.

There will be a 20-minute live interactive simulcast streaming event on May 4 at noon PT during the team’s first “Earthworm Jim” design meeting. During that meeting, the team will discuss their new vision of the game firsthand as well as showing off original art pieces. Some of that art will be signed and given away, as well as 50 new posters, to livestream viewers.

“We have been talking about this moment for many years, it’s a dream come true to finally get the entire team back together,” said Tommy Tallarico, Intellivision Entertainment CEO/President and original “Earthworm Jim 1 & 2” composer and sound designer. “We’re looking forward to sharing a small part of our reunion and initial design meeting with fans from around the world. Intellivision Amico is designed to bring friends and families together and we are excited for fans and those just being introduced to the series to get a first look as we kick-off the design of the game.”

Earthworm Jim” celebrates its 25-year anniversary this year. It was originally released in 1994 for the Sega Genesis. The last time the team worked together was on the game’s follow-up, which hit in 1995. Original team members returning to work on this game include Doug TenNapel, David Perry, Tommy Tallarico, Nick Bruty, Mike Dietz, Tom Tanaka, and Joey Kuras.

The inclusion of TenNapel, who created the character, has disappointed some fans of the franchise because of the homophobic and transphobic comments the writer and cartoonist has made over the years. Much of those comments were made on Twitter, which he hasn’t posted to since last summer.

Interplay still owns the license to the game.

Also Interplay is apparently still in charge of several IPS despite not doing anything for years. They somehow survived that near bankruptcy all this time.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I predict a cheap/flash looking game that controls worse than the originals. Will be surprised if this is a solid game.
I see the console as "too much with exclusivity, too little for actual market". They will be better just launching an app for Android/iOS

DiscoJer

I'm really looking to the new version of Moon Patrol for the Amico. One of my favorite games to this day. Play it on my hacked Vita.

data_jack

The beloved characters were what kept people coming back to the games, I really hope they focus on that on the design meeting. The first levels of the first game were great but the series as a whole isn't strong from a gameplay perspective IMO. Whatever is created from this new development must *not* be the same take on side-scrolling verticality for it to succeed. If they manage to bring in something innovative they'll have to climb an uphill battle of reviewers with rose-colored glasses or those socially charged with a bone to pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom