• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New ‘Lord of the Rings’ Movies in the Works at Warners, New Line

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It's got to be some more spinoff kinds of movies. I dont follow the franchise, so whatever spinoff storylines they can make after those Hobbit movies I dont know.

Imagine if Elijah Wood and Sean Astin reprised their roles. Wood and Astin are about 40 and 50 years old. Viggo Mortenson is 64.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Nothing more to add than what was said previously. I have zero faith this will be good.

Good luck to the director:

friends-chandler.gif

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Warner, I’ll give you advice free of charge. Redo all the FX work on the existing trilogy in Avatar quality , rerelease to cinemas and make the same amount of cash, or more, you would do with a new production.
Amen to that.

I watched most of the first movie again as it was showing on a movie channel.

Looking back, I didn't realize how bad the CGI is. Most of the parts in the Dwarven mine are atrocious like its badly animated video game characters running in a cave.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
I wouldn't mind them taking another crack at the Hobbit. It deserved better.
Hobbit is the antithesis of what the studio wants to make - it’s a jovial, homely tale written for kids. Movies had similar tone to the Lord of the Rings, while tonally the books are very different (you can see it in the first 80 pages of LotR, they were written as a follow-up to the Hobbit).

Anyway, terrible and shit idea. Why change perfection?

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
But why not? It doesn't have to end with Tolkien. If it's a well-planned, earnest endeavor with respect for the established lore, it could work.
Why everything has to take an established IP? Just come up with a new one. You will be slapping a well known title because you think the new work cannot stand on its own.

Leave the damn Tolkien alone ffs.

Melon Husk

Embracer bought the rights to LOTR? THQ Nordic? Huh?? What a weird development.

I'm always up for more LOTR games (Total War: War of the Ring please) but movies? Jackson's trilogy can never outdone, it will always hang around as a specter if they try to refilm the trilogy. It's best that these new films will try to leverage the popularity of the existing material... worst case scenario they make a sequel trilogy
Guys... guys... They have the rights to Tolkein's abandoned sequel idea The New Shadow. https://lotr.fandom.com/wiki/The_New_Shadow The cunts are going to make a sequel to Lord Of The Rings, based on thirteen pages of half-assed development.
["I did begin a story placed about 100 years after the Downfall, but it proved both sinister and depressing." ...]
―from The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter to Colin Bailey

Wow, this is perfect for modern day writers. Get the crew from new Star Treks on this ASAP!

It keeps going:

[... "So that the people of Gondor in times of peace, justice and prosperity, would become discontented and restless — while the dynasts descended from Aragorn would become just kings and governors — like Denethor or worse."]

:messenger_grimmacing_

Oh John Tolkien. 100 years after The Downfall aka Great War this hits too close home

Last edited:

Catphish

Why everything has to take an established IP? Just come up with a new one. You will be slapping a well known title because you think the new work cannot stand on its own.

Leave the damn Tolkien alone ffs.
I think the existing books should be left alone. They've been done, and done well. But there's nothing wrong with writing new material in the same universe.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Guess they are gonna milk tolkien for all hes worth. The trilogy is amazing, there is no need to adapt more stories in this world, especially if we can expect them to be as terrible as the hobbit films

Billbofet

As a huge fan of the LotR trilogy, I don't think I would even watch this on a streaming service much less put the effort to see it in a theater.
While fantasy is not my favorite genre, I think it's just not a bankable genre anymore for movies. TV maybe, but the Amazon show pretty much offed that being a good idea.
I think similar to how WB killed off interest in Harry Potter movies with the awful Fantastic Beasts movies, this will have a similar reception but probably die off much quicker.
Just make new shit already.

Usually I am all for new content in stuff I love. but no... just no. the Jackson movies (not hobbit) are damn close to perfection. As a LOTR nerd I could get into some nitpicks but the movies are classics.

I won't lie. i will watch any new LOTR content but if it sucks then i'll not hesitate to immediately pretend that it doesn't exit.

Take Harry Potter for example. Love the shit out those books and movies but as soon as Cursed Child came out it was dead to me. It doesn't exist except when I need to shit on it. Fuck that shit so fucking much. (I'm talking about CC not HP as a whole)

Last edited:

Kacho

Gold Member
Meh. I am at the point now where my default reaction is that they will ruin it. I don't even get worked up any more. I would love to be proven wrong though.
Yeah, unless you're in the business of farming outrage on YouTube there's no point getting worked up about it. If they deliver something respectable, great. It will probably be trash though. Best to just sit back and laugh at the shitshow.

ManaByte

Warner, I’ll give you advice free of charge. Redo all the FX work on the existing trilogy in Avatar quality , rerelease to cinemas and make the same amount of cash, or more, you would do with a new production.

Jackson already had WETA update the VFX for the 4K versions.

jason10mm

Gold Member
The best I could hope for, outside of using the Silmarillion and giving us those classics, is getting the rights to Dennis McKiernans "Silver Call" pastiche of the dwarves going back to reclaim Moria with the help of the descendants of the OG hobb....errr, Warrows. Really good scenes with the battle of the Warder in the Lake, scaling across the chasm minus the bridge (lost with Gandolf vs the Balrog), etc. It would let them riff off the films but tell a new story.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion

Good take on challenges to making a good LotR movie

Badly photoshopped beard onto one of the few great characters from the RoP show that the internet weirdos complained about most for "reasons" despite the obvious good she did for the lore as well as the setting.

Definitely a trustworthy and unbiased source when it comes to someone complaining about people ruining the IP. Can't wait to watch.

Last edited:
Badly photoshopped beard onto one of the few great characters from the RoP show that the internet weirdos complained about most for "reasons" despite the obvious good she did for the lore as well as the setting.

Definitely a trustworthy and unbiased source when it comes to someone complaining about people ruining the IP. Can't wait to watch.
Any comment on the substance of the video?

Ownage

Show us what happens when the OG team floats off into the sunset after RotK.

Moar battles? Orgies? Big booty bass twirk parties?

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I think I would be open to a new story that takes place several centuries after RotK.

Like, there's been peace in Middle Earth for half an age, but now evil stirs in Mordor once more. New characters, evolved (yet familiar) locations, but the same governing rules of the universe.

Not sure how you'd work rings into it, though, since the One Ring was destroyed at Mt. Doom.

But why not? It doesn't have to end with Tolkien. If it's a well-planned, earnest endeavor with respect for the established lore, it could work.

Admittedly, however, that is one big fucking 'if'.

It's disrespectful to Tolkien's legacy and his life's work.

He didn't spend the vast majority of his adult life creating his work of fiction so it could be shat on and twisted decades later by companies looking to make a profit. Amazon's pathetic attempt with Rings of Power was insulting enough.

Last edited:

Kilau

Gold Member

I haven't watched the video but one of the legit fan complaints is that she should have had a beard.

VN1X

Banned
Well if anything Embracer & New Line have seen how not to tackle the material what with that Rings of Power bomba and all.

Could be decent but I'm not exactly filled with excitement to say the least lol.

Top Bottom