• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New ‘Lord of the Rings’ Movies in the Works at Warners, New Line

Catphish

It's disrespectful to Tolkien's legacy and his life's work.

He didn't spend the vast majority of his adult life creating his work of fiction so it could be shat on and twisted decades later by companies looking to make a profit. Amazon's pathetic attempt with Rings of Power was insulting enough.

If it's a well-planned, earnest endeavor with respect for the established lore, it could work.

Admittedly, however, that is one big fucking 'if'.

FunkMiller

The fundamental thing none of these greedy cunts understand is that Lord Of The Rings is the story. Everything else is just notes, backstory and background shit.

And we already have the definitive version of the story by Peter Jackson.

But yeah, let's have Lord Of The Rings: Elrond Begins and Lord Of The Rings: What Aragorn Did Next. Why the fuck not, in this creatively fucking bankrupt era.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
The fundamental thing none of these greedy cunts understand is that Lord Of The Rings is the story. Everything else is just notes, backstory and background shit.

And we already have the definitive version of the story by Peter Jackson.

But yeah, let's have Lord Of The Rings: Elrond Begins and Lord Of The Rings: What Aragorn Did Next. Why the fuck not, in this creatively fucking bankrupt era.
I'd argue that the Silmarillion is the story.

Kadve

Fun fact. Tolkien hated Walt Disney with a passion (something about how he cared more about money than actually putting any passion into his movies. And the way he treated fairy tails as free game to mold into something that would make money rather than actually telling them) and swore that his company would never touch any of his works. Even putting that as a clause when he sold the Middle Earth rights to United artists back i the 60s. Still curious whether his estate will ever break that mandate.

Last edited:

Toons

Banned
Surprised it took them this long.

Folks will keep buying so they will keep making.

Such is the way of capitalism.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Fun fact. Tolkien hated Walt Disney with a passion (something about how he cared more about money than actually putting any passion into his movies. And the way he treated fairy tails as free game to mold into something that would make money rather than actually telling them) and swore that his company would never touch any of his works. Even putting that as a clause when he sold the Middle Earth rights to United artists back i the 60s. Still curious whether his estate will ever break that mandate.

I wouldn't be surprised if it happened, given how they are allowing that Rings of Power shitshow to exist.

Last edited:

Kadve

I wouldn't be surprised if it happened, given how they are allowing that Rings of Power shitshow to exist.
Read up on it a little. Turns out that the Tolkien estate has nothing to do with either LOTR or the Hobbit. He sold the rights completely but they do still own everything else related to the Middle earth (the Silmarillion, Unfinished tales, even those Tom Bombabil books). This is why Rings of Power cant reference the more famous books as their deal was directly with the Estate. And these movies would most likely be entirely based on them.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I liked Dune.

Good point. That has been a notoriously difficult book to adapt but they did a decent job. Herbert, like GRRM after him, spends paragraphs detailing things other writers spare a few sentences on. Lynch seemed like a natural fit and yet, well, we all saw how his film turned out.

Rush2112

Banned
Calling it now Gandalf will be played by Emma Watson who will be 10x more powerful than actual Gandalf because "strong independent woman." The Witch King of Angmar will be played by AOC and Saruman will be played by Ilhan Omar. Super woke anti American edition.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Calling it now Gandalf will be played by Emma Watson who will be 10x more powerful than actual Gandalf because "strong independent woman." The Witch King of Angmar will be played by AOC and Saruman will be played by Ilhan Omar. Super woke anti American edition.
Friends don’t let friends YouTube

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
O0HbCmW.jpg

They still don't have the rights to The Silmarillion. Just Hobbit and Lord of the Rings plus appendices, just like Amazon. Supposedly they are not trying to remake the Hobbit or Lord of the Rings, so could be more ancient history mentioned in appendices, or could be more recent history like the animated movie coming out next year "War of the Rohirrim".

Peter Jackson is in the loop, so could be involved. If he wanted to do something tied to his other movies, he could do a "War in the North" movie that covers the unseen events that happened at the same time as Lord of the Rings, and could include some characters and sets used in both the Hobbit movies and Lord of the Rings movies.

The move comes two decades after director Peter Jackson’s hugely popular The Lord of the Rings saga, which won 17 Oscars. Now Jackson — and his writing partners Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens — are the precious talent Warners hopes to get on board with its efforts after Amazon seemingly fumbled its courtship of the filmmaker (Jackson told THR that Amazon had reached out to him about its series, but then — after the company’s executive shake-up — he was never sent any scripts). Sources say Jackson and Walsh were very frustrated that so many believed they were involved with Amazon’s show, and are now engaging with Warners/New Line, curious as to how they’ll be stewards of J.R.R. Tolkien’s legacy.

Also this quote:

Studio insiders suggest Warners’ focus on LOTR and Harry Potter and its recent signing of Akiva Goldsman and M. Night Shyamalan smack of nostalgia for the early 2000s. “It’s a sign of desperation, they want to make it seem like they are the studio of old,” one insider scoffs. “The Hobbit didn’t leave people wanting more.”

I don't know man, they all made around a billion, with Five Armies actually above Smaug. Plus the extended versions of the final two were quite different and better than theatrical. People are aware of how difficult the production was. Now that Amazon's incredibly expensive and time consuming production tanked, The Hobbit ended up looking better than before.

Last edited:
Just fucking let Jackson make movies about the stories of the Silmarils and Valinor and shit. Tolkien estate needs to not be protective of this. He could start with a Beren and Luthien film.

Last edited:

John_Ryder

TLOTR is the best set of films ever made IMHO. They can make another abomination like that amazon series for all I care and nothing will change.

Oberstein

I don't know man, they all made around a billion, with Five Armies actually above Smaug. Plus the extended versions of the final two were quite different and better than theatrical. People are aware of how difficult the production was. Now that Amazon's incredibly expensive and time consuming production tanked, The Hobbit ended up looking better than before.

It's not just about the money. The Hobbit trilogy is frankly bad. Rings of Power provided amnesia, but it has aged terribly, unlike LoTR.

There are still some effective elements like the props, costumes, and some scenes from the book, but for the rest, it's sometimes worse than RoP

Now if Jackson is on the production team, I hope he figures out what he screwed up and goes back to the roots of his first trilogy with practical effects, a good cast and calm down on the new techno/CGI that literally ruin the movies. We'll see.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
It's not just about the money. The Hobbit trilogy is frankly bad. Rings of Power provided amnesia, but it has aged terribly, unlike LoTR.

There are still some effective elements like the props, costumes, and some scenes from the book, but for the rest, it's sometimes worse than RoP

Now if Jackson is on the production team, I hope he figures out what he screwed up and goes back to the roots of his first trilogy with practical effects, a good cast and calm down on the new techno/CGI that literally ruin the movies. We'll see.

They are pretty bad but still watchable imo and not even in the same ballpark as TLOTR buuut it does have some incredible moments, for instance Smaug's scenes with Bilbo are just sublime and still look incredible (no idea what happened with the gold statue mind) not to mention the rock giant fight at the start but on the whole he was going for a very different style of movie from the original trilogy which was a mistake, he should've kept it serious and inline with the originals which he does in some scenes and then goes off the bloody wall in others.

It'd be interesting to see how much was left over from Del Toro's production or was it all completely scrapped and with the time constraints and contracts he had no choice but to go all cgi instead of practical

Oberstein

They are pretty bad but still watchable imo and not even in the same ballpark as TLOTR buuut it does have some incredible moments, for instance Smaug's scenes with Bilbo are just sublime and still look incredible (no idea what happened with the gold statue mind) not to mention the rock giant fight at the start but on the whole he was going for a very different style of movie from the original trilogy which was a mistake, he should've kept it serious and inline with the originals which he does in some scenes and then goes off the bloody wall in others.

Yes, it's true for the scene between Bilbo and Smaug/Gollum. On the other hand, the scene of the barrels is a disaster. The gopro breaks the immersion, Legolas and the dwarves are literally invincible and do pirouettes like Mario, there is no tension. It will be worse in the battle of the 5 armies... by the way, why is it still called the Hobbit? He doesn't intervene anymore.
A children's story made like a LoTR, that was Jackson's big mistake.

It'd be interesting to see how much was left over from Del Toro's production or was it all completely scrapped and with the time constraints and contracts he had no choice but to go all cgi instead of practical

It would have been interesting, but well, we'll never know now. Just like Jodorowsky's Dune.

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
There is a 4 hour fan edit of The Hobbot that I strongly recommend. It fixes a lot of the problems I have.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Yes, it's true for the scene between Bilbo and Smaug/Gollum. On the other hand, the scene of the barrels is a disaster. The gopro breaks the immersion, Legolas and the dwarves are literally invincible and do pirouettes like Mario, there is no tension. It will be worse in the battle of the 5 armies... by the way, why is it still called the Hobbit? He doesn't intervene anymore.

It would have been interesting, but well, we'll never know now. Just like Jodorowsky's Dune.
Yeah there's a lot of head smacking wtf did I just watch scenes, the tonal shifts are all over the place and the padding is off the charts but, I still don't mind it, it's watchable and like I said has some great scenes in it.

Marvel14

Banned
Heres the important part.

I dont see any director bold enough to attempt to adapt the main story like Jackson did anyway, so crisis averted?
Still think Jackson did a piss poor job on the Ents but thats not reason enough to justify a full remake....

Marvel14

Banned

Agree...he wanted to go back to making LOTR and he shat on a fast paced light funny tale to make it happen.

The elf dwarf romance and the fake orc villain sucked big time and all the set pieces involving them padding out the movie were an insult to the audience. Gandalf confronting the Necromancer also felt off..in FOTR he is still working it out but after its obvious the Necromancer is Sauron he should be on high alert because Sauron is obviously back.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Agree...he wanted to go back to making LOTR and he shat on a fast paced light funny tale to make it happen.

The elf dwarf romance and the fake orc villain sucked big time and all the set pieces involving them padding out the movie were an insult to the audience. Gandalf confronting the Necromancer also felt off..in FOTR he is still working it out but after its obvious the Necromancer is Sauron he should be on high alert because Sauron is obviously back.
That was the studio wanting three films instead of two, right? Making three epic length flicks outta the hobbit would break anyone.

I think people want to see stories about valinor, the silmarils, morgoth, the two trees, ect, directed by Peter Jackson.

(It looks like the AI even put in Liam Neeson)

Last edited:

Andyliini

I think people want to see stories about valinor, the silmarils, morgoth, the two trees, ect, directed by Peter Jackson.

I agree, but even if Tolkien Estate somehow agrees to license Silmarillion to some big company, I think making it all in one film would be a challenge. It has mane filmable stories though. I just read Children of Húrin for the first time and would love a filmation of that story.

Oberstein

Yeah there's a lot of head smacking wtf did I just watch scenes, the tonal shifts are all over the place and the padding is off the charts but, I still don't mind it, it's watchable and like I said has some great scenes in it.

I understand... as far as I'm concerned, I can watch LOTR extended version again without any problem, but I can't enjoy The Hobbit in its entirety, forced to go through dozens of scenes to find a good one.

The funny thing about ROP is that everyone has forgotten the stupidities of The Hobbit. We could list more nonsense, but it's so far from what PJ managed to accomplish with LOTR.

Before 2010, there was no woke agenda, no stupid technology to add (poor Alan Lee and John Howe who had to draw tons of pages in red and green for the 3D, ahah), ugly CGI and so on.

I just read Children of Húrin for the first time and would love a filmation of that story.

Turin's story is so great. In fact, apart from LOTR, it's quite difficult to recreate an epic story with engaging characters today. Turin is the perfect antithesis: a no-name with rage, who spanks arrogant elves, kicks dwarves' asses, fucks his sister and has a demonic sword. Well, the problem: he's a white male without a strong woman by his side, so it doesn't suit the studios anymore. Well, no one has the rights, that solves the problem too.

Fuz

Banned
It's disrespectful to Tolkien's legacy and his life's work.

He didn't spend the vast majority of his adult life creating his work of fiction so it could be shat on and twisted decades later by companies looking to make a profit. Amazon's pathetic attempt with Rings of Power was insulting enough.

:messenger_heart:

Woopah

The first movie is an amine style telling of the creation of Helms Deep. At the very least it's an interesting idea.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.

Definitely want to see The Silmarillion adapted into movies/TV shows. It's too vast for a single movie. It'd need to be a TV series spanning many seasons or a movie series.

The Tolkien Estate doesn't seem to want anyone to use The Silmarillion so I doubt it'll happen any time soon. The closest we're getting is the Amazon show and even that has to be careful where it goes.

I'm not sure how I'd feel about new movies based on the LOTR trilogy but I'd not mind them doing a TV series. Imagine having 4+ seasons to adapt the books. It seems to be all the rage right now with Harry Potter and Twilight being made into TV shows. Twilight is trash but Harry Potter will benefit from it and so would LOTR.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Definitely want to see The Silmarillion adapted into movies/TV shows. It's too vast for a single movie. It'd need to be a TV series spanning many seasons or a movie series.

The Tolkien Estate doesn't seem to want anyone to use The Silmarillion so I doubt it'll happen any time soon. The closest we're getting is the Amazon show and even that has to be careful where it goes.

I'm not sure how I'd feel about new movies based on the LOTR trilogy but I'd not mind them doing a TV series. Imagine having 4+ seasons to adapt the books. It seems to be all the rage right now with Harry Potter and Twilight being made into TV shows. Twilight is trash but Harry Potter will benefit from it and so would LOTR.
I think it would work better as a TV show. Because the Silmarillion is basically vignettes into middle earth. A movie would be weird but a show where every week you do a new story from the book would make more sense to me.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Was it? Felt like a PJ wank fest to me.
Well, if you had to create about 4 extra hours of content AND try to invent a multi-film over arcing narrative with character development and the (undoubtedly) studio mandated "GIVE WOMEN A VOICE!" edicts (though maybe not, who made the call to add Arwen to Helms Deep and who made the call to edit her out?), what else are yah gonna do?

jason10mm

Gold Member

Rings of Power shows the weakness of Silmarillion era material WITHOUT full access to the actual Silmarillion. To give full benefit of doubt to the show creators, it's possible that most of the bizarre decisions they made were because they had to explicitly AVOID Silmarillion stuff even when intricately linked to the appendices info they did have rights to. Plus the decision to collapse it all into a single human lifetime. With those two constraints the end result was always gonna be dodgy.

Top Bottom