• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 12 GB 3080 launched.

Buggy Loop

Instead of releasing another 3080 variant, a 3080ti and a 3090ti, Nvidia could put all those gpu cores to work manufacturing 3080s so people could actually buy them. Fuck Nvidia.

I’m pretty sure actually that 3090 binned to 3080 Ti, to 3080 12GB. 100% sure they are recycling silicon big time to NOT waste silicon fab time and money. You end up with a crazy lineup as you can’t send any number of cores, but they probably optimized the series with what Samsung is outputting.

Might be indicative of Samsung’s yields being not that good.

Last edited:

Rbk_3

What a fucking money grab.

- Nvidia didn't even set an MSRP
- I don't think reviewers got any cards or drivers ready for a review.

This was all done to capitalize on the current situation, what a fucking scumbag move.

Meh, they created the product and they can't even come close to meeting the demand so they might as well be the ones to make the profits, not scalpers.

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
Meh, they created the product and they can't even come close to meeting the demand so they might as well be the ones to make the profits, not scalpers.
Scalpers will still make money regardless...also they could sell these things differently to avoid scalpers altogether if they really wanted to. Honestly, I rather see scalpers make money than NVIDIA. People that buy from scalpers deserve to buy at outrageous prices.

As I've been doing, just sit back and watch the shit show..

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I know this is wishful thinking but im actually hoping this things drives the price of the 3080 10GB down.
Its basically a 3080Ti which miners are absolutely loving cuz of that memory bandwidth....so now miners should hopefully have their attention on the 12GB twins and leave the 3080 alone....or atleast let its price drop to more reasonable levels.

Now Nvidia where is that 3070Ti 16GB.
^it plus a 1440p panel....I can wait for whatever comes after Ada Lovelace.

10GB really was a pathetic amount to launch with. even 12GB is kinda shit still. should be 16GB minimum and ideally 20GB. might as well have just got a 3090 with 24GB :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Boss Mog

I've wanted to upgrade to a 3080 since it launched but I've given up now. Fuck it, I have a PS5 and XsX, I'll game on those.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Perfect card for all those "concerned" people that 10GB VRAM will bottleneck the 3080 ;)

Seriously tho, I can't see what NV wants to accomplish with the likes of 3090, 3090Ti and this new 3080, they cost so much more than the base/OG 3080 while adding a whopping 2, maybe 3FPS. Even the 3080Ti had already such a tiny performance difference it's laughable.

dorkimoe

depending on your price you got a bargain. these 3080 12gb are $1300 minimum.
I had to buy a bundle for 1400. But should have no issue selling what it came with for 300 or so. It is what it is. It’s a big enough upgrade over my 1080 (which is selling for 400).

LOLCats

Banned
Perfect card for all those "concerned" people that 10GB VRAM will bottleneck the 3080 ;)

Seriously tho, I can't see what NV wants to accomplish with the likes of 3090, 3090Ti and this new 3080, they cost so much more than the base/OG 3080 while adding a whopping 2, maybe 3FPS. Even the 3080Ti had already such a tiny performance difference it's laughable.
refresh the skus at higher price point.

This is why I finally sold off my desktop and went almost exclusively console last year. Was able to get enough out of my desktop parts to get a decent laptop for work. Had been waiting to upgrade GPU since late 2017. First it was waiting for 30 series, then waiting for them to come down in price. Now we have a chip shortage.......

Protocol7

Oh look another GPU I won't be able to buy... cool... cool...

1080Ti here.

Not complaining (ok actually am) but this whole situation is really starting to put me off with my love for PCs... Each time I go and start choosing parts (you know that feeling right?! The excitment, building your PC, I MISS THIS SO MUCH FFS! ; ; ), the prices and the "out of stock" are there to remind me it still won't happen before long...

Doczu

I finally, finally after over a year of searching, had the chance to buy a 3090 for $2200. Almost unheard of these days but just couldn't do it. It's just too far away from what seems reasonable.
A pc component for the price of a modestly good car that will serve you longer than the gpu self. Think about that.

yeah, apples and oranges. But just think about that.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Oh great, we reached the point where videocards are launched without reviews and no MSRP.

Nvidia and their OEM partners are finally being honest and telling us their cards are for miners only because gaming performance per dollar isn't even relevant anymore. And neither is MSRP, because cost is now officially a function of mining profitability.

Fahdis

Im just done. At this point i will be able to buy good gpu at reasonable price may be in 2030. Fuck this shit and this gen from pc perspective. God forgive me but im buying console

He thinks he will be able to find a console in the market as well...

vq2yDk0.jpg

MacReady13

I really REALLY want to build a new PC as I gave my "peasant" PC to my cousin but wanted, at munimum a 3080. This is great news but, if the prices (and availability) are out of reach I think I either stick to consoles for a while or go the gaming laptop route. The prices to build a new gaming PC are insane! 10 years ago I built a gaming PC with a 980 for a touch over $2200 aussie dollars. Today that price might get me a 3080!

Chiggs

I finally, finally after over a year of searching, had the chance to buy a 3090 for $2200. Almost unheard of these days but just couldn't do it. It's just too far away from what seems reasonable.

I bought mine for $2700; you had a solid deal.

AndrewRyan

I bought mine for $2700; you had a solid deal.
It was an OEM card with a known heat throttling issue so you'd have to replace the thermal pads on the memory chips to get it performing properly. Congrats on pulling the trigger on yours though, am super jelly!

I feel the whole GPU shortage problem will be sorted out the 2nd half of this year as GPU mining becomes a lot less profitable. Between now and then there should be lots of deals around. Microcenter has lots of 3080s/3080ti's for sale in (overpriced) pre-built systems so supply shouldn't be too far away hopefully.

Bogeyman

Banned
This sucks. But given prices are entirely fucked anyway, I'd rather have nvidia cash in more profits rather than scalpers. At least that will increase their incentive to add additional production capacity.

Either way, I'm worried about longer term implications for pc gaming. People have been pessimistic about pc taking ever since it started, but now for the first time ever I'm actually worried of that might be the nail in its coffin. At current price levels, it feels nearly impossible to justify, in particular relative to the price point of consoles.

I wonder if someone is able to intervene though. Feels like there's a few firms with deep pockets who'd have a solid interest to do so. Including nvidia themselves - doubt they'd want to see pc gaming die.

Somehow my hope lies on valve though. Seems like they're one of the biggest firms affected, and also one of the worst affected firms if this trend continues. Kind of hoping they'll come up with something.

skneogaf

I bought the 3090 specifically due to the huge amount of ram, I personally don't believe 12 GB is enough for the future games.

Raphael

I know this is wishful thinking but im actually hoping this things drives the price of the 3080 10GB down.
Its basically a 3080Ti which miners are absolutely loving cuz of that memory bandwidth....so now miners should hopefully have their attention on the 12GB twins and leave the 3080 alone....or atleast let its price drop to more reasonable levels.

Now Nvidia where is that 3070Ti 16GB.
^it plus a 1440p panel....I can wait for whatever comes after Ada Lovelace.
Miners have their attention at everything :(

10gb was a joke. Even more so considering my 3060 has 12gb!

Honestly 12gb isn’t really enough for future proofing for such a high card i.e. max textures, needed 16. But 12gb is enough for right now. 10 was not.

Dream-Knife

Banned
12GB isn't good enough as well. 16GB should be the standard for high-end cards targeting 4K+.
Not good enough? Based on...? AMD sponsored titles that strangely request more vram? Wonder why that is.
Especially when some games given access to more RAM use even more then 12 already
Allocate.
10gb was a joke. Even more so considering my 3060 has 12gb!

Honestly 12gb isn’t really enough for future proofing for such a high card i.e. max textures, needed 16. But 12gb is enough for right now. 10 was not.
Your card will never use that 12gb of vram at an acceptable frame rate, so it's a moot point. Unless of course you're doing video editing or something.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Does anybody think that PC gaming will be more affordable in the future, or will this now be the norm for PC gaming? I just don't understand how they can justify these prices.

Top Bottom