• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 12 GB 3080 launched.

These discussions about needing one bazillion Gigabytes of video RAM to be able to load ultra super duper textures that will let you distinguish a single grain of salt on the texture of a picnic table 600 meters away from the camera are really ridiculous.

People have really forgotten what gaming is about, and what is and what isn't important in a videogame.
No what’s ridiculous is the fact that I couldn’t explain a simple detail of PC hardware without someone taking it personally.

I just played a wii game the past few nights, don’t give me this preaching shit. I don’t need real life textures but when you buy a fucking expensive card it better have enough memory to function at its fullest and the 10gb 3080 is not that card. We need to demand more from these overpriced video cards.

I don't. I game on my laptop with a 3GB GTX 970 almost as much as I do on my PC with a 3080. My 10GB 3080 is fucking fine.
So basically your post was another stealth 3080 winefest.

It’s fine… for most games… for now. It will hit a vram limit before the cores are maxed out.

//DEVIL//

If I learned anything from being a PC gamer all these years, especially with Nvidia, is to never buy anything higher than a 70/80 series card. 1070/80, 2070/80, and 3070/80. All this TI and super is just rubbish. the premium cost for what? 10% increase?

I have the 3080 and I was offered many times to get the 3090 MSRP price plus cash. that is never going to happen. Do you know why? because if they release the 4000 Series by the end of this year ( which usually is what is going to happen, or worst-case scenario early 2023 but I don't see them missing the holiday ), the 4070 of that card will destroy the 3080ti/3090 or probably at worse, same level )

So I am sticking with my 10Gig card 3080. I do not need 12, I do not need TI. I do not need 24 gigs for that matter. Honestly, for the current games out there, the 3070 is more than enough at 8 gigs even.

This is just a marketing move by Nvidia to squeeze more money and sadly many people will fall for this.

The 3080 is supposed to be targeting 4k 60 frames, but that is not the case when next-gen games start to happen ( unreal engine 5 especially), that 3080 won't do shit more than 2k ultra at 60 to 90 frames maybe ? the same applies if you bought a 1800$ 3090 card ( as if that 10/15% performance gain will make the jump possible )

Patrick S.

Banned
So basically your post was another stealth 3080 winefest.

It’s fine… for most games… for now. It will hit a vram limit before the cores are maxed out.
I don't know what you're trying to say with that winefest comment. A 3080 is fine, and will be fine for a long ass time. That's all I'm saying. I don't need textures the size of a hubble telescope picture. My first computer was a damn Philips MSX, I still haven't lost the capability to be amazed by the graphics even my 3GB 970 can put on the screen. For reference, it plays Horizon Zero Dawn at the same quality and more speed than a PS4, and that was a game that only four years ago wowed everyone.

Last edited:
I don't know what you're trying to say with that winefest comment. A 3080 is fine, and will be fine for a long ass time. That's all I'm saying. I don't need textures the size of a hubble telescope picture. My first computer was a damn Philips MSX, I still haven't lost the capability to be amazed by the graphics even my 3GB 970 can put on the screen. For reference, it plays Horizon Zero Dawn at the same quality and more speed than a PS4, and that was a game that only four years ago wowed everyone.
What you “need” and what you don’t are completely irrelevant to what I was pointing out ; a realistic technical limitation that has already shown itself albeit in limited titles. I also had a 970 3.5gb right before I got my 3060. It can still run games but was too compromising even at 1080p in certain games, it can’t really even run them if textures are too high. But yeah that thing was a champion for so long.

I’m not surprised you are happy with the 3080. It still has a bottleneck and was an 800 card if you paid msrp. The 3080 has since been updated with 12gb model, which is what it should have been from the start for an expensive ass video card. That’s all I’M saying.

TrackZ

I had a 3090 in my gaming rig when all the cards hit, but I side graded to a 3080 ti along the way. Mostly because I switched from EVGA to Asus and needed two real HDMI 2.1 ports.

Looking back, locking up a 3090, pay once, cry once and just being set for the entire generation of cards and ignoring all the minor off-shoot variants was an ideal situtation. I would do the same in a heartbeat in the 4000 generation, making sure to get a dual HDMI 4090 right off the bat this time.

Dream-Knife

Banned
This is just sad. ultra settings are very over demanding for the visual return usually. I rather have the extra cash than spend 800 bucks on a single card. A card with 10gb vram that has less than a much older high end cards. But again, textures are basically free if you have the vram.

If you know how to optimize settings, you could get 1080p60fps on witcher 3 with ultra textures back in the day on 1050ti which was far weaker than a 970. The ultra textures kept the game looking high end.

You’re incapable of admitting you’ve never seen a game where you had to lower textures personally because you didn’t have enough vram ; lack of experience. Or you’re bring intellectually dishonest.

So much fanboy type arguing and lack of experience in your posts, i’m ignoring you now haha.
I haven't had to lower textures. Either with the 3080 or RX6800. I'm saying you're seeing vram reserved and assuming it's used. Games will reserve much more than they actually need. Halo Infinite said it wanted 12gb for optimum performance. There was no combination of settings that got it above 7.5gb.

The funny thing is you sound emotional. Are you sure you're not trying to defend your 3060 instead of buying a better card? These are just computer parts man, no need for that behavior.

Top Bottom