• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 12 GB 3080 launched.

PC World.

The 10GB of VRAM on the original RTX 3080 felt somewhat lacking right out of the gate, as games like Doom already chew up immense amounts of memory with every graphics knob cranked at 4K resolution. It probably wouldn’t be something you’d have to worry about in most games soon, but the new version’s 12GB of GDDR6X completely alleviates any potential concerns. Nvidia also expanded the memory bus width in this model from 320-bit to 384-bit, which helps boost overall memory bandwidth to 912GB/s, up from 760GB/s in the original.

Nvidia also tweaked the GPU configuration of the new 12GB RTX 3080, bumping the CUDA graphics core count from 8704 in the original to 8960 now. That, combined with the upgraded memory, should make the 12GB RTX 3080 just a wee bit faster than the original, though we would’ve preferred that Nvidia gave this card a slightly different name (like RTX 3080 Super) given the small-but-key GPU tweaks.

Scalp me if old.

HTK

Banned
What a fucking money grab.

- Nvidia didn't even set an MSRP
- I don't think reviewers got any cards or drivers ready for a review.

This was all done to capitalize on the current situation, what a fucking scumbag move.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
12GB isn't good enough as well, 16GB should be the standard for high-end cards targeting 4K+.
Why 16 when you can have 24GBs with the ultra chad 3090. That's what I have anyway. Pre-ordered it and if some disaster strikes, I can now sell it and bough new house...

problem-troll-face-meme-png-clipart.jpg

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
So glad I went all in on Turing in early 2020 (got a few cards for msrp) so I can skip out on this scam of a GPU generation

Costs a mint, power hog, no new codec, new connector, still less than 16gb of vram for the most part, apparently made of unoptainum

Already got $1400 saved for lovelace when/if Nvidia feels like releasing it

Polelock

So glad I went all in on Turing in early 2020 (got a few cards for msrp) so I can skip out on this scam of a GPU generation

Costs a mint, power hog, no new codec, new connector, still less than 16gb of vram for the most part, apparently made of unoptainum

Already got $1400 saved for lovelace when/if Nvidia feels like releasing it
Same. This may be the last generation of cards I buy. Nvidia doesn't even give us a reach around anymore, straight to fucking

GHG

Gold Member
12GB isn't good enough as well, 16GB should be the standard for high-end cards targeting 4K+.

Seriously I was looking at GPU prices earlier and 6900 XTs don't look like such bad value comparative to the prices of all the other GPU's out there at the moment.

It's just a shame that AMD's RT performance is a joke.

HTK

Banned
Imma stick to my PS5 and be thankful for that because the PC market is a mess, for general PC purposes I might wait for the new Mac Mini and just be done with PC altogether, at least until they get their shit together. The juice simply ain't worth the squeeze.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Nope. Clearly I've been out of the PC game too long.

Honestly, how much for this card?
"MSI’s take on the RTX 3080 12GB also popped up early on the German store Mindfactory, alongside an eye-watering €1,699 price tag (roughly $1,925 USD). This specific listing is currently live on the site, meaning we could be faced with inflated board partner prices. That said, we’re still waiting for word on official pricing, so we’ll need to wait and see whether this new GPU is as expensive as leaks suggest." - https://www.pcgamesn.com/nvidia/RTX-3080-12GB-release-date-price-specs-benchmarks

AGRacing

Gold Member
The 6900 XT rig in my house looks better and better and better every day! I've had buyers remorse many times in the past... but I never knew buyers jubilation existed until today. Thank you Nvidia!!

Doczu

And femboys will thank them for it.
Fixed that for you.

And on topic: fuck the pc market right now. The prices are absurd. For the same cash i bought a high level pc with a Radeon 4870 card 13 years ago i can't buy an entry level gaming rig. This is fucking absurd, not only is the market price of GPUs 2-3 higher, due to non existent availabilty the prices are pumped beyond reason.
And cpu's. And memory. And hdd/ssd. I'm glad i'm a dirty console peasant.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
probably 1500 quid.............realistically speaking

"MSI’s take on the RTX 3080 12GB also popped up early on the German store Mindfactory, alongside an eye-watering €1,699 price tag (roughly $1,925 USD). This specific listing is currently live on the site, meaning we could be faced with inflated board partner prices. That said, we’re still waiting for word on official pricing, so we’ll need to wait and see whether this new GPU is as expensive as leaks suggest." - https://www.pcgamesn.com/nvidia/RTX-3080-12GB-release-date-price-specs-benchmarks

Fuck me! Like, I knew PC gaming had got more expensive, but this is out of control.

Who the fuck would drop over £1500 on a graphics card?!?!

I just want to play Total War: Warhammer 3 in max settings with the largest unit cards possible, but I'm not prepared to pay that much.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Seriously I was looking at GPU prices earlier and 6900 XTs don't look like such bad value comparative to the prices of all the other GPU's out there at the moment.

It's just a shame that AMD's RT performance is a joke.

6900XT is a very good card overall if you can get it, but smarter move is buying a whole desktop with the preferred card in it as they cost as much as the card alone, thanks to scalpers.

GymWolf

Eye-watering 1700 dollars for a series 80

NOV19-We-Are-Laughing-Eyman.gif

Jesus christ we really are in the darkest timeline.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I mean... I knew 3080 founders I've got on release was obsolete the day I got it.
But it's fine. Nothing bottlenecking just yet

Buggy Loop

Especially when some games given access to more RAM use even more then 12 already

Allocated means fuck all though. Unless I’m presented special K + MSI afterburner VRAM utilization (real). I think I can count on one hand games that exceeded dedicated 10GB VRAM usage and I personally can only remember Ubisoft ghost recon being the main culprit with shit ports or excessive ultra settings. Between 1080p to 4K it’s under a 1GB difference. ~700MB iirc. But exceeding 12GB? No.

Worst offenders being the game setting menus trying to offer an estimate of memory usage, they’re almost always off, it’s something that is mind boggling coming from devs. RE8 coming to mind with asking 12GB in settings when dedicated memory averages at 6.5 utilization, with the memory leak at launch, a lot of peoples were heavy on confirmation bias that 8GB would not be enough, when that was proven wrong further down the line. Same with Godfall where devs said 12GB would be required for max settings.. reality? 6.5GB… (trombone fail sound) Strange that so many AMD sponsored games would inflate numbers.

Cyberpunk 2077 max settings allocated is 8.5GB while the real dedicated is 6.4GB, in general you will be rasterization limited way before using all memory. Same with Microsoft Flight sim which will take all allocated space, but need 6-7GB in reality.

But but.. the future? You say. Well yes the future, as in consoles with IO management being the baseline for the upcoming generation, DirectStorage and sampler feedback being the equivalent on PC when games support it, it’ll even reduce this down further and save a ton of ram space as contrary to what’s being done now which is overloading VRAM with things you might need, consoles and PC APIs are heading to only loading what you need. Then DLSS, XeSS, UE5’s TSR..

So no, I don’t believe this argument.

Last edited:
Top Bottom