• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 2TB and 512 GB Seagate Expansion Cards for Xbox Series X|S ($400 and $140 respectively) announced

The only reason I haven’t bought this yet is the price - I can afford it, but I just can’t justify it. $150 for the 1tb is the sweet spot for me. When/if I get a second Series X for the basement (likely when they are freely available, or they release a slim or something) it will come in super handy.

Can’t see me ever bothering to upgrade the PS5 storage tbh. I only use that for the odd exclusive, and fucking about opening it up and using screwdrivers and shit sounds too much like work.

Deerock71

You said it was like the vita, you needed to buy a mem card with every system. Xbox doesn’t have that issue.

I agree the prices are high, but unlike the vita not every user has to deal with it. Also unlike the vita these cards drop in price all the time, the 1tb was been $179 many times.
It's not the Vita. Any system that has any type of on-board memory has it's heel on the throat of the Vita. The Vita cost more than what you purchased the hardware for out of pocket immediately because it would not function if you didn't immediately scoop up a proprietary memory card. Bad form. Sony.

And the Series X/S have SSDs, the top of the line memory.

Last edited:
The only reason I haven’t bought this yet is the price - I can afford it, but I just can’t justify it. $150 for the 1tb is the sweet spot for me. When/if I get a second Series X for the basement (likely when they are freely available, or they release a slim or something) it will come in super handy.

Can’t see me ever bothering to upgrade the PS5 storage tbh. I only use that for the odd exclusive, and fucking about opening it up and using screwdrivers and shit sounds too much like work.
I get nervous every time I see someone pop off the panel on the PS5 and scratch it up. The Xbox memory card is certainly expensive but it is nice to not need any tools to increase the internal storage. At the end of the day it's all optional regardless.

DaGwaphics

I get nervous every time I see someone pop off the panel on the PS5 and scratch it up. The Xbox memory card is certainly expensive but it is nice to not need any tools to increase the internal storage. At the end of the day it's all optional regardless.

Plus it's portable, you can grab it from your system and take it with you, etc.

Topher

Gold Member

Scratch what up? The inside of the panel that you never see? Come on. That's fake concern. As is the idea that the use of a simple screwdriver is so confounding.

We are only a year into the current gen and already you can get a M.2 SSD 1TB on sale of only $160 (Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus).

Open Market > Proprietary.

Every time. Sorry.....when it comes to storage expansion this is a big win for PS5.

Last edited:

elliot5

True. But I doubt anyone in their right mind would pay $60 for someone else to operate a screwdriver for them.
I recently paid $80 for an ac service call to essentially factory reset my fucking nest thermostat because I'm an idiot and didn't think to do that first. It happens to the best of us...

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I recently paid $80 for an ac service call to essentially factory reset my fucking nest thermostat because I'm an idiot and didn't think to do that first. It happens to the best of us...

Now we are comparing using a screwdriver to AC service.

What Serious GIF

Last edited:
Seems like there's still complaints about the difficulty of installing the NVME drive. I was planning on installing one in my PS5 so I'll let you guys know if I have any difficulty.

Yup. It's awesome to be able to take your games to a friend's house or even transfer games between system. Options unavailable with an NVME that requires tools to even access.

Scratch what up? The inside of the panel that you never see? Come on. That's fake concern. As is the idea that the use of a simple screwdriver is so confounding.

Every time. Sorry.....when it comes to storage expansion this is a big win for PS5.
We'll just agree to disagree. I like the options available to me with the Xbox solution. No matter how much cheaper the PS5 drives might be I'll NEVER be able to take that drive out and go to my buddy's place. I also must admit I'd don't want to pop panels off my system or use tools to upgrade storage. Different strokes and all that. You see a win I see a lack of flexibility.

S0ULZB0URNE

Yup. It's awesome to be able to take your games to a friend's house or even transfer games between system. Options unavailable with an NVME that requires tools to even access.

We'll just agree to disagree. I like the options available to me with the Xbox solution. No matter how much cheaper the PS5 drives might be I'll NEVER be able to take that drive out and go to my buddy's place. I also must admit I'd don't want to pop panels off my system or use tools to upgrade storage. Different strokes and all that. You see a win I see a lack of flexibility.

Options? We have wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy less options for internal storage for XSX.
Not only that but PS5 has faster options where the Seagate expansion card is slower than the XSX internal drive.
We need options for XSX that are not only cheaper but also that can match the XSX internal.
sounds like most console gamers :messenger_beaming:

I didn’t say simplicity. I said convenience. Something millions pay extra for all the time.
It's not hard at all. :lollipop_raising_hand:

How does a NVME drive lack flexibility when it can be used with the ps5, laptop, pc, etc. All you need is ONE screw driver, lol.

Topher

Gold Member

That's fine, but this isn't about you. Most are fine using a screwdriver. Most don't transport their console expansion drives. And yeah, I'll always see a win in non-proprietary solutions.

Jaysen

Banned
Options? We have wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy less options for internal storage for XSX.
Not only that but PS5 has faster options where the Seagate expansion card is slower than the XSX internal drive.
We need options for XSX that are not only cheaper but also that can match the XSX internal.

To some it is, but convenience has nothing to do with install difficulty to me. Convenience means my wife and I can store our own games on an easily removable HD and our young daughter can have hers on her own. Convenience means I can easily take my digital games to a friend or family members house. Consoles are all about convenience, which is a big reason why Sonys HD mechanism is so stupid,

S0ULZB0URNE

To some it is, but convenience has nothing to do with install difficulty to me. Convenience means my wife and I can store our own games on an easily removable HD and our young daughter can have hers on her own. Convenience means I can easily take my digital games to a friend or family members house. Consoles are all about convenience, which is a big reason why Sonys HD mechanism is so stupid,
I won't argue with what's convenient to you and you aren't wrong anyway.

Sony's tech is on another level to the point that I don't think it would be feasible or affordable by Nov 2020 to offer a similar option with that tech.

Maybe the Pro or 6 will offer such a option but TBH, Id rather the way it is or both as a option(IF the cost wasn't that high)

I keep seeing people talk about the speed of the drives when in many cases games load within seconds of each other. In some cases games load faster on the Xbox so that's an odd point to make. On the fewer options I suppose but there still is no option on the PS5 that let's me take my games to a friend's or transfer them to another system. The MS solution is also hot swappable. So it still lacks flexibility.

That's fine, but this isn't about you. Most are fine using a screwdriver. Most don't transport their console expansion drives. And yeah, I'll always see a win in non-proprietary solutions.
It's about if me are talking about my experience with the Xbox console. Also I'm fine using a screwdriver but traditionally consoles didn't require tools to upgrade. I'm OK with a proprietary solution when it offers features non-proprietary solutions do not like in this case specifically. Convenience, portability, and ease of use trump price to me. So we have different criteria for a win. MS has other areas where they offer wins in the price department.

Ozriel

M$FT
Shame there are no real deals for Black Friday for these expansion drives.
Microsoft needs to lean on Seagate to make their prices more reasonable. Why did they even make it exclusive to them?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

The XSX expansion is slower than the internal? I didn’t know this, I thought the whole point was that it was identical?

that sucks if true.

Last edited:

Soosa

Banned

Interesting, I have been gaming for +35 years, yet those things rarely happen here.
Maybe people have different cultural ways to game around the world?

Before the internet = people just had their carts/discs with them, if they wanted to play game that friend didnt have, but almost always that werent the case because:
A) we went to play games we DIDNT have to friends house, like one had sega, one had nintendo, one had amiga..
B) they already owned the same games.

Now, at the age of modern gaming (PS3 gen and forward), I have never heard or been in a situation where someone needs to move tons of games to a friend, like why would you need to do it?

ok, lets assume that friend doesnt have the game(s), so:

A) If someone doesnt have game and people want to play it together, then just bring the disc? Because at least from my group, majority still use discs, unless digital game is really cheap. And if the digital game is really cheap, like 1-10€, then we just buy the game and download it.
B) If nobody owns the disc (rarely happens), then we could use account that owns it, to download it, in theory. But we dont log on other than our own console. Slowest connection I know someone have is 100/10 cable, so we could ask them to download it, I guess? And there are no data caps, so it is only matter of time.
C) As I stated, people dont like to log in to other systems, even if it is their friend (for security purposes)
D) the saddest point = modern games rarely have good local coop anyway, one reason why my group almost exclusively plays them online.

So if moving SSD from system to another means that you have to log in to access the data, it is not an option anyway, same as giving your account to someone in situation B to download it, it just doesnt happen.

My point is not that "there is no benefits to have easily removable SSD" or "ps5 solution is the only way", but that either are not universal features that all gamers need or want.

Just like owning physical games isnt, but if you own them = they are also easy way to bring your games with you. Yeah updates take some time but people rarely cant wait or they could just play something else.
I just dont know anybody whom have gone full digital, but if most people would have done it, it would be a different thing probably.

So, in this conversation it boils into these parameters:

1) Do you coop online, or local?
2) Do you and your friends buy games physical, or digital?
3) Do you and your friends own (cheap), fast and uncapped internet?
4) Do you live alone, or have multiple gamers in the household?
5) Do you own multiple systems?
6) Do you have enough space to download same games on your systems, or need to move ssd between them?

And the answer to "which is better, xbox or ps5 way?" is = neither.

Both ways are imperfect, neither is universally better. Both are situationally better or worse.

Those that need to move their games benefit from xbox way, those that want cheaper, faster and semi-permanent option benefit from ps5 way.

what would be best solution:

Xbox style slot in port, but with PS5 style commercially available SSDs + some kind of enclosure thing you install the SSD into, and then stick that into the slot.
But cooling could be an issue then.

Only minor issues really are that xbox solution is way too expensive to what it is, if you dont need portability. Yes, small form factor PC SSDs are expensiver than those that fit on PS5, but only reason that xbox uses those shorter ones is the slot in feature. And that for PS5 you have to have technical abilities of 4-5 years old person to be able to install it. At least in my childhood toys were more complex than installing SSD basically. And it doesnt have the portability feature.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
So if moving SSD from system to another means that you have to log in to access the data, it is not an option anyway, same as giving your account to someone in situation B to download it, it just doesnt happen.
You don't have to log in to access data on Xbox at least. I transfer games from my X to S for my Son's to use.

Ozriel

M$FT
The XSX expansion is slower than the internal? I didn’t know this, I thought the whole point was that it was identical?

that sucks if true.

if this were true, you’d have seen a 30 page thread here about it 😂

it’s definitely untrue. Not sure where he pulled that from.

The only time I’ve touched the 1TB expansion was when I sold the Series S and got the Series X. Just moved it over and everything worked.
I am still hoping to get some trade credit or sell the 1TB if the 2TB ever becomes available. Sometime in December is a tad vague.
But I put some big games in cold storage on an external drive and have plenty of space now.
Sleep well Cyberpunk, borderlands 3, Red Dead 2. Hello extra space.

Reallink

Just bought the 1TB SN850 for $150, which is twice as large and nearly 3x faster than $140 Xbox Expansion. Putting it in a PC though, I'm not arsed by deleting or redownloading shit on PS5.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
if this were true, you’d have seen a 30 page thread here about it 😂

it’s definitely untrue. Not sure where he pulled that from.
Fuckinh hell, what's tge point in spreading FUD. I thought I'd seen how tge velocity architecture allows them to direct 2 channels to the expansion port to provide the exact sustained speed that the internal.

Poor form

Interesting, I have been gaming for +35 years, yet those things rarely happen here.
Maybe people have different cultural ways to game around the world?

Before the internet = people just had their carts/discs with them, if they wanted to play game that friend didnt have, but almost always that werent the case because:
A) we went to play games we DIDNT have to friends house, like one had sega, one had nintendo, one had amiga..
B) they already owned the same games.

Now, at the age of modern gaming (PS3 gen and forward), I have never heard or been in a situation where someone needs to move tons of games to a friend, like why would you need to do it?

ok, lets assume that friend doesnt have the game(s), so:

A) If someone doesnt have game and people want to play it together, then just bring the disc? Because at least from my group, majority still use discs, unless digital game is really cheap. And if the digital game is really cheap, like 1-10€, then we just buy the game and download it.
B) If nobody owns the disc (rarely happens), then we could use account that owns it, to download it, in theory. But we dont log on other than our own console. Slowest connection I know someone have is 100/10 cable, so we could ask them to download it, I guess? And there are no data caps, so it is only matter of time.
C) As I stated, people dont like to log in to other systems, even if it is their friend (for security purposes)
D) the saddest point = modern games rarely have good local coop anyway, one reason why my group almost exclusively plays them online.

My point is not that "there is no benefits to have easily removable SSD" or "ps5 solution is the only way", but that either are not universal features that all gamers need or want.

Just like owning physical games isnt, but if you own them = they are also easy way to bring your games with you. Yeah updates take some time but people rarely cant wait or they could just play something else.
I just dont know anybody whom have gone full digital, but if most people would have done it, it would be a different thing probably.

So, in this conversation it boils into these parameters:

1) Do you coop online, or local?
2) Do you and your friends buy games physical, or digital?
3) Do you and your friends own (cheap), fast and uncapped internet?
4) Do you live alone, or have multiple gamers in the household?
5) Do you own multiple systems?
6) Do you have enough space to download same games on your systems, or need to move ssd between them?

And the answer to "which is better, xbox or ps5 way?" is = neither.

Both ways are imperfect, neither is universally better. Both are situationally better or worse.

Those that need to move their games benefit from xbox way, those that want cheaper, faster and semi-permanent option benefit from ps5 way.

what would be best solution:

Xbox style slot in port, but with PS5 style commercially available SSDs + some kind of enclosure thing you install the SSD into, and then stick that into the slot.
But cooling could be an issue then.

Only minor issues really are that xbox solution is way too expensive to what it is, if you dont need portability. Yes, small form factor PC SSDs are expensiver than those that fit on PS5, but only reason that xbox uses those shorter ones is the slot in feature. And that for PS5 you have to have technical abilities of 4-5 years old person to be able to install it. At least in my childhood toys were more complex than installing SSD basically. And it doesnt have the portability feature.
Wow you wrote a lot. My friend and I play the digital copies of the games I have on my expansion card. Most/all of the games are not on disc and even if they were I guarantee it is faster to play them off the card than install /download them to his system. I also appreciate I don't have to take his system apart to install a drive to play the games off of.

Everyone has different circumstances and I never once claimed the Xbox solution was the best solution only that it more convenient, hot swappable, easier to install, and use. It is also more expensive so there are pros and a pricey con. I just gave my own personal opinion and my experience using the Xbox solution. Some prefer to just focus on the cost and that's fine.

S0ULZB0URNE

I keep seeing people talk about the speed of the drives when in many cases games load within seconds of each other. In some cases games load faster on the Xbox so that's an odd point to make. On the fewer options I suppose but there still is no option on the PS5 that let's me take my games to a friend's or transfer them to another system. The MS solution is also hot swappable. So it still lacks flexibility.
Odd point to make?
When utilized correctly the PS5 nvme drive is over 2 x faster.
It's tech would be much harder to be put in the form factor that the XSX uses.
Lacking flexibility is having ONE company make drives.

Riky

$MSFT
Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned
Odd point to make?
When utilized correctly the PS5 nvme drive is over 2 x faster.
It's tech would be much harder to be put in the form factor that the XSX uses.
Lacking flexibility is having ONE company make drives.
Based on what he said in another thread - he's only interested in what helps Microsoft's bottom line.

S0ULZB0URNE

FOR+ Super simple set up Excellent loading and transfer speeds Respectable storage amount

AGAINST- Incredibly expensive Not quite as fast as internal SSD

"Making use of the new Xbox Velocity Architecture storage system, the card is able to hit incredibly fast transfer and load speeds. It’s not quite as speedy at the built-in storage,"

"As for speed, the Seagate Xbox Storage Expansion Card is incredibly fast, supporting all the same Quick Resume features and speedy loading times that the console’s internal drive supports. It’s not quite as fast (booting a save of Yakuza: Like a Dragon from the card from the home screen took 45 seconds from the card, and around 37 from internal storage), but it’s still much faster than previous console generation solutions offered. And, when it comes to loading times once in-game, the gap closes significantly so as to be almost imperceptible to anyone but those carrying a stopwatch around."

"Almost as fast as the internal SSD Easy to install Small size"

I read more but can't remember.
I will get em eventually if you need them.

vdopey

You know what I find extremely funny in all of this ? Not 1 person complained about having to use a screw driver to upgrade the PS4 console storage, or the ps3 for that matter.. I didn't see 1 journalist make a fuss or say anything bad about having the ability to increase the storage by removing the ps4 panel unscrewing the old drive and sticking in a new drive - In fact the process was more complicated on ps4 as you had to back everything up to an external drive from the old drive then reload everything back. As far as I remember everyone was praising this move for being very pro consumer.

All of a sudden this generation there are videos like this:

I mean what a douche, have to wear a high viz jacket get a big box of tools "go to war" just to insert an nvme ssd drive (moron you just need a tiny screw driver and 2 minutes). Have schools stopped teaching Craft, Design, Technology ? Are people scared they might break a finger nail ? Is a bit of manual labour really that difficult and if so, why was this not the case last generation? This sort of disingenuous fake Shilling / Astro Turfing / Toxic Marketing nonsense absolutely disgusts me, when people have to delve to such stupid levels to make a product look inferior, this is the point where I lose all respect for the individuals and companies involved stooping to these levels - Its just vile.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
You know what I find extremely funny in all of this ? Not 1 person complained about having to use a screw driver to upgrade the PS4 console storage, or the ps3 for that matter.. I didn't see 1 journalist make a fuss or say anything bad about having the ability to increase the storage by removing the ps4 panel unscrewing the old drive and sticking in a new drive - In fact the process was more complicated on ps4 as you had to back everything up to an external drive from the old drive then reload everything back. As far as I remember everyone was praising this move for being very pro consumer.

All of a sudden this generation there are videos like this:

I mean what a douche, have to wear a high viz jacket get a big box of tools "go to war" just to insert an nvme ssd drive (moron you just need a tiny screw driver and 2 minutes). Have schools stopped teaching Craft, Design, Technology ? Are people scared they might break a finger nail ? Is a bit of manual labour really that difficult and if so, why was this not the case last generation? This sort of disingenuous fake Shilling / Astro Turfing / Toxic Marketing nonsense absolutely disgusts me, when people have to delve to such stupid levels to make a product look inferior, this is the point where I lose all respect for the individuals and companies involved stooping to these levels - Its just vile.

well Sony weaponized connivence last gen…

Riky

$MSFT
J8udPTn.jpg

This guy did a frame by frame analysis rather than using a stop watch, it's really only the last gen port of Destiny 2 which has ridiculous loading times where there is any real difference, in fact on one game the Seagate card was quicker.

Ozriel

M$FT

FOR+ Super simple set up Excellent loading and transfer speeds Respectable storage amount

AGAINST- Incredibly expensive Not quite as fast as internal SSD

"Making use of the new Xbox Velocity Architecture storage system, the card is able to hit incredibly fast transfer and load speeds. It’s not quite as speedy at the built-in storage,"

"As for speed, the Seagate Xbox Storage Expansion Card is incredibly fast, supporting all the same Quick Resume features and speedy loading times that the console’s internal drive supports. It’s not quite as fast (booting a save of Yakuza: Like a Dragon from the card from the home screen took 45 seconds from the card, and around 37 from internal storage), but it’s still much faster than previous console generation solutions offered. And, when it comes to loading times once in-game, the gap closes significantly so as to be almost imperceptible to anyone but those carrying a stopwatch around."

"Almost as fast as the internal SSD Easy to install Small size"

I read more but can't remember.
I will get em eventually if you need them.

fair enough, you’re right. Seen a few reviews that mention some speed differences between the internal and external, in favor of the internal.

Microsoft assured that sustained read speed is the same, so not sure why there’s a difference. Either they’re not being accurate or there’s some firmware issues at the time of review.

good spot.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
The big pros for the Xbox method is really two things.

1. No confusion about compatibility.
2. You can own multiple cards and just swap them out easily.

the big pro for the PlayStation method is

1. value. You can get more space for the money and reuse the drive in a pc later of you upgrade down the line.

Top Bottom