• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 2TB and 512 GB Seagate Expansion Cards for Xbox Series X|S ($400 and $140 respectively) announced

The big pros for the Xbox method is really two things.

1. No confusion about compatibility.
2. You can own multiple cards and just swap them out easily.

the big pro for the PlayStation method is

1. value. You can get more space for the money and reuse the drive in a pc later of you upgrade down the line.
Throw in a 2 for Playstation - choice. You can choose the drive you want.

I mean, people are free to feel however they want, but I'm still shook people are arguing for proprietary storage options lol. I just put a drive in the PS5. I unscrewed something, put another thing in, and screwed it back on. It's not like it's surgery lol

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Can we just say both options are really good. If you have multiple Xbox's in your house you can just walk from room to room with your expansion, or over to a friends...if that ever happens again.

With the ps5 you can use whatever drive you want and snag your self a killer deal.

Both offer more storage and have their positives and negatives.

That’s…not how this works
How does it not work? Explain to me the advantages of having proprietary hardware, over off the shelf options then? Please dont tell me the one convenience you have in the rare situation that your buddy wants you to bring over your storage drive far outweighs the options and freedom you have with non proprietary options. Its actually cheaper. What happened to game sharing, Xbox dont allow that anymore?

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
You just can't argue against that the Ps5 is cheaper. Maybe there will be some alternatives in the future for Xbox. The other day I saw a 2TB on Amazon for £250 that was listed as compatible with PS5. But when I look on Playstation store, even at the sales and offers, the Series SSD expansion price is offset when I look at all the games I've got for next to nothing on GP and see how much they are on PSN. If you don't use GP my point is irrelevant.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
How does it not work? Explain to me the advantages of having proprietary hardware, over off the shelf options then? Please dont tell me the one convenience you have in the rare situation that your buddy wants you to bring over your storage drive far outweighs the options and freedom you have with non proprietary options. Its actually cheaper. What happened to game sharing, Xbox dont allow that anymore?
I game share. I down load on one and transfer to another Xbox. Takes about 1 minute to transfer 50GB.

Not many of us have that great internet. I don't go round my friends to game anymore but if I did and he has shit internet and he wanted to download FH5 or Gears 5 approx 107gb I could go for a 5 mile jog, have a shower, watch 2 films and then walk to his house 3 miles away and still be quicker to transfer via SSD I took to his house than him download.
A extreme case I know just to highlight how shit some peoples internet is.

Last edited:

FrankWza

It’s not like you will be buying one so nothing for you to worry about
For myself? No. For other people, maybe. Still, it’s nice to be informed. No? Would have been nice if we found this out earlier. Don’t you feel better for knowing?
thought this guy was talking about the ps5 ssd for a min :messenger_beaming:
Sarcastic Not Funny GIF

truth411

I've seen the 1tb Storage Card as low as £149.99 here reduced from £219.99
Im not in europe. But again you can find sales on compatibile SSD for the PS5 ALL YEAR around. Non Proprietary is an effective never ending price cut. Also lets not forget these are drives that are 3 times faster! Paying $220 for a SSD with only 2.4 GB reed speeds is insane. But because its still a huge leap over the previous gen HDD, folks give it a pass.

Riky

$MSFT
Im not in europe. But again you can find sales on compatibile SSD for the PS5 ALL YEAR around. Non Proprietary is an effective never ending price cut. Also lets not forget these are drives that are 3 times faster! Paying $220 for a SSD with only 2.4 GB reed speeds is insane. But because its still a huge leap over the previous gen HDD, folks give it a pass.

Compare it to what it is, a 1tb CFexpress card, check the prices and get back to me. Why does CFexpress exist if you can just use a cheaper SSD? There are several reasons and they all apply to the Xbox storage card.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Skimming some articles, CDN prices are

512gb: $180
1tb: $300
2tb: $520

I've been fine managing 1tb. I just got to be picky and not just install everything like it's old gen external HDD.

If 1tb SSD card came down 50%, I'd bite. My 3tb HDD in 2014 cost $110. I know that isnt happening, so forget it. Even a 1tb at $200 cdn forget it.

Last edited:

truth411

Compare it to what it is, a 1tb CFexpress card, check the prices and get back to me. Why does CFexpress exist if you can just use a cheaper SSD? There are several reasons and they all apply to the Xbox storage card.
The Xbox SSD reed speed is 2.4GB. Its price is $220 for 1TB.
M.2s being used for the PS5 are about 7GB +/- reed speeds, .
Since Sony solution is open market, that means 3rd parties are competing for consumer sales. We are only in the fist year, by black friday next year, folks will be screaming for MS to cut prices, yea they can have sales here and there but they cant really cut price permanently that much. What you get with "Convenience" you pay extra for with proprietary solutions.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
The Xbox SSD reed speed is 2.4GB.
M.2s being used for the PS5 are about 7GB +/- reed speeds, its price is $220 for 1TB.
Since Sony solution is open market, that means 3rd parties are competing for consumer sales. We are only in the fist year, by black friday next year, folks will be screaming for MS to cut prices, yea they can have sales here and there but they cant really cut price permanently that much. What you get with "Convenience" you pay extra for with proprietary solutions.

You avoided my point, how much is a 1tb CFexpress card? Why do they exist if an SSD is just cheaper?

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
The Xbox SSD reed speed is 2.4GB. Its price is $220 for 1TB.
M.2s being used for the PS5 are about 7GB +/- reed speeds, .

Most users will never need it….

S0ULZB0URNE

Can we just say both options are really good. If you have multiple Xbox's in your house you can just walk from room to room with your expansion, or over to a friends...if that ever happens again.

With the ps5 you can use whatever drive you want and snag your self a killer deal.

Both offer more storage and have their positives and negatives.
Yes that's why I bought both.

Don't we have cloud saves now for this situation? Why would you want to lug around an SSD?!

$180 for 512GB? Ouch. That’s what I paid for 1TB on the PS5.

What sucks is that you can’t use an external for much of anything on Series that’s of size. On PS5 you can at least run things like Tlou2, GoW, days gone, etc, directly off a usb ssd external. Gotta say, I prefer Sony’s approach to storage this gen, faster and more convenient.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
$180 for 512GB? Ouch. That’s what I paid for 1TB on the PS5.

What sucks is that you can’t use an external for much of anything on Series that’s of size. On PS5 you can at least run things like Tlou2, GoW, days gone, etc, directly off a usb ssd external. Gotta say, I prefer Sony’s approach to storage this gen, faster and more convenient.
$180 is CDN prices.

PS5 allows external SSDs via USB port to play PS5 games?

Xbox can play games off external SSDs too, but not at Series S/X features.

Riky

$MSFT
Your point is irrelevant since the SSD card consumers pay and use for the Xbox series X and S is $220.
This isn't that much dissimilar to the PS Vita Micro SD card situation, they were permanently overpriced.

You pay for the form factor of the CFexpress card, so that's pretty relevant since that is what it is. You pay for being able to unplug it in less than one second and put it into another machine in less than one second, I'm quite happy with the cost for that sort of convenience.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
You pay for the form factor of the CFexpress card, so that's pretty relevant since that is what it is. You pay for being able to unplug it in less than one second and put it into another machine in less than one second, I'm quite happy with the cost for that sort of convenience.
Bit less for the former but the latter is a very narrow edge case and you know it. Even the former unless you are taking about the impossible task of installing the NVMe disk on PS5 is not a huge point for it considering the price.

So, is this the next step after the “Seagate is just the first of many manufacturers, just you watch” and “prices will go down as fast as they do in the open market” points?

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Bit less for the former but the latter is a very narrow edge case and you know it. Even the former unless you are taking about the impossible task of installing the NVMe disk on PS5 is not a huge point for it considering the price.

So, is this the next step after the “Seagate is just the first of many manufacturers, just you watch” and “prices will go down as fast as they do in the open market” points?

Value isn't always a straight line either.

Let's say you get a 1TB expansion for both your PS5 and XSX, the PS5 is a little cheaper. Now let's say down the road you need another 1TB of storage, this time the XSX is considerably cheaper because we only need to buy another 1TB upgrade. On the Sony side we have to chuck that first drive and get a 2TB model.

Might sound ridiculous now, but if this generation is like the ones that preceded it, storage needs will increase as time goes on. And this time adding inexpensive USB storage isn't an option.

Riky

$MSFT

I move my card from machine to machine every day, takes literally a second to plug in and my games just work.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Let's say you get a 1TB expansion for both your PS5 and XSX, the PS5 is a little cheaper. Now let's say down the road you need another 1TB of storage, this time the XSX is considerably cheaper because we only need to buy another 1TB upgrade. On the Sony side we have to chuck that first drive and get a 2TB model.

Might sound ridiculous now, but if this generation is like the ones that preceded it, storage needs will increase as time goes on. And this time adding inexpensive USB storage isn't an option.

Sure, you can manage the XSX|S cards like if they were USB sticks and keep a spreadsheet of which game is which or you can buy a 2 TB down the line (PS5 games seem to be doing better storage requirements wise than people were expecting) instead of an additional 1 TB memory card or the super expensive 2 TB card now.

Value also carries performance in it too, not really fair to exclude it completely too.

DaGwaphics

Value also carries performance in it too, not really fair to exclude it completely too.

The performance of the drives are completely irrelevant when comparing upgrade options. A faster drive does nothing for an XSX. For both the XSX/PS5 you have to buy the storage that is compatible with the console that you have. The TB being the only comparable thing between the two. How much does it cost to add 1TB, 2TB, 3TB, etc. to each platform. Though I do think the small size and swap-able nature of the Series expansion to be a plus.

No one can deny that the prices are a little high on the Xbox side, it is what it is.

Topher

Gold Member

That PS5 drive is a standard part so it is not limited to being used on PS5 like Xbox storage is limited to Xbox and only Xbox. If I were upgrading my PS5 expansion then I could move my old SSD to my PC. So the scenario you are describing is valid, but like you said, value isn't necessarily linear in either case.

DaGwaphics

All of a sudden? What’s changed?

That's always been the case in this specific situation. You either have an Xbox Series or PS5 and you buy the storage upgrade that you need for your system.

If we are talking SSD brands and models on PC, than sure it matters a lot. On console, you purchase what is compatible with your system, the speed of the drives for some other system are of no concern to you.

FrankWza

That's always been the case in this specific situation. You either have an Xbox Series or PS5 and you buy the storage upgrade that you need for your system.

If we are talking SSD brands and models on PC, than sure it matters a lot. On console, you purchase what is compatible with your system, the speed of the drives for some other system are of no concern to you.
It is when your only upgrade option isn’t as fast as the one in your console.

DaGwaphics

It is when your only upgrade option isn’t as fast as the one in your console.

Season 4 Agree GIF by The Office

That can be a concern. It would be bummer to get an upgrade drive only to find that while it has performance characteristics XYZ on paper, in the real-world the controller thermal throttles after 30 minutes, or it just doesn't interface well with outside controllers trying to mimic non supported capabilities. Would be rough.

At least we know that MS has specifically green lit these drives, so, whatever is being guaranteed for developers is going to be there consistently, in all operating conditions.

FrankWza

That can be a concern. It would be bummer to get an upgrade drive only to find that while it has performance characteristics XYZ on paper, in the real-world the controller thermal throttles after 30 minutes, or it just doesn't interface well with outside controllers trying to mimic non supported capabilities. Would be rough.

At least we know that MS has specifically green lit these drives, so, whatever is being guaranteed for developers is going to be there consistently, in all operating conditions.
The one thing to look out for is, if a cheaper alternative does hit there a chance that drive could perform worse or better as well. I know they’d all need to be licensed by Microsoft no matter what, but storage performance varies from manufacturers. Flight simulator would be a good test of that for now. Any comparisons out there?

SkylineRKR

Sony always had the best internal drive solutions.

PS3, just took an off market SATA you might even have had a spare or bought 160gb for like 50 bucks in 2007. The 360 drive was fucking 120 bucks for 120gb. That console used less, but still, the packed in drive was pathetic either way. PS4 same. I chucked in 2TB for 80 bucks and never looked back.

Now i'm just waiting for a PS5 compatible drive to drop to alarming levels of pricing. So far I have enough space, most games I bought were reasonably small in size. And all PS4 content is on an external T7.

Top Bottom