• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Bioshock titled 'Isolation' (UE5, Announcement expected Q1, 2022)

Infinite was so good. Loved the twist in that game, was a mindfuck for me back then.

Hoping this is The Game Awards 2.5yr in the making announcement

Fbh

I liked all 3 games. Infinite felt a bit like wasted potential but I still enjoyed my time with it.
Glad to hear it's supposedly a new city. I know some people wanted the entire franchise to be set in Rapture but I like the idea of each new game exploring a new city.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
"Bioshock Isolation" is a little bit on the nose, don't you think?

Or is it just me that's been locked down with government imposed self-isolation for nearly 2 years now?

I loved the first one madly, I completed it 100% at least three times and all difficulty levels.
I enjoyed the second a little less but it's fine imo.
I liked Infinite at times, the setting certainly yes, a little less the shoot-and-shoot parts... but I really loved the Burial at Sea expansion, in my opinion was a really icing on the cake.
I hope they do a job worthy of this fantastic saga that I love... even without Levine's genius.

I enjoyed all three including the dlc. Something set in space would be awesome. With unreal engine 5 being implemented I hope we've our minds blown away.

sircaw

Banned
But you were saying the environments were bland.

Pretty sure the environments in that game are anything but bland.
after playing one and two, yes to me they were boring, how many silly houses did you enter to find the same boring environments full of nothing, more silver coins for you to pick up, more useless clothing to discover.

if you thought it was fantastic more power to you 👍

Last edited:

synce

The shitty logo, the reused assets in the presentations, this is the most clearly fake shit ever. The whole idea sounds fanmade.

iorek21

The "original trilogy" had a final game that was barely connected to the first two. Another game with a tangent that keeps the spirit of the games isn't a bad thing.

. . .I mean, fun games aren't a bad thing in general.

True, but the chances of them screwing it up are bigger than it being a hit. Feels more like a cash grab at this point since probably everybody already moved on.

Ogbert

WD Legion you say?

spock GIF

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Please don’t fuck this up. Interested in what Ken Levine has been up to for so long as well. This needs to be an absolute amazing story and atmosphere to have the Bioshock name attached. One of my favourite series.

infinite was not incredible but still a lot better than most AAA games. Two was pretty good. The original is just fantastic still to this day. The list of devs from other studios and their previous efforts does not exactly inspire confidence, some steaming piles of shit on there.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I don’t know Bioshock 2 was a good game and I don’t think Levine was involved. It didn’t have the “new” factor of the first game but I liked it more Gameplay wise than Infinite. I’m not too optimistic about this new one but I won’t write it off completely yet before even seeing anything on it.
It was okay but it was basically mooching off of Irrational's original idea so even though Levine and Irrational Games didn't work on Bioshock 2 directly, it just wouldn't exist without their original ideas.

Having said that, I also really liked Bioshock 2 because it refined the gameplay and had a more personal, emotional storyline. It was fun. But in many ways it was also just a very safe and unexceptional sequel to a much more ambitious and groundbreaking game. Compare that to Infinite, which once again sparked discussions on many interesting topics, both related to its themes as well as design, and you can see that you need Levine in order to make a Bioshock game that's truly ambitious and special.

Last edited:

Sgt.Asher

2 is my favorite, it really refined the gameplay of 1. Bioshock 1 is still enjoyable, i don't care for the story after witnessing the twist. Hence why i like 2 more.

Infinite is awful, the story sucks and the gameplay is a huge step back.

Loope

just curious, you dislike 3 because of the gameplay or because it lacks horror element?
I was thinking the same thing actually. The gameplay is amazing. A friend of mine also prefers 1 and 2 by a wide margin because of the horror atmosphere.

MScarpa

I never played Infinite yet, but I loved 1 and liked 2+DLC so hopefully they can develop something good.
You sir, need to leave this place and not come back till you experience INFINITE!!

Dudes on GAF and hasn't played Bioshock Infinite! What is this shit. 😂 😉

EDMIX

lol, that was my thought exactly. WHY would you list titles that majority would consider not very good.

Well because the people who worked on them can still do their jobs else where lol I don't even understand how the gaming community doesn't know this.

Look at the credits of your favorite game and you'll find someone who worked on a game you didn't like, likely worked on your favorite games too lol Its a contracted business and I think the community as a whole seems to think that a team that worked on a game like Watch Dogs 3...are WATCH DOGS 3 DEVELOPERZ as in they only just fucking did that for life despite nothing suggesting that even remotely, most AAA games are made by a bunch of developers that have been all over the industry.

Thus...some staff that worked on Halo, worked on Call Of Duty, worked on Battlefront 2, worked on Battlefield 1, worked on Titan Fall 2, then worked on Star Wars Fallen order....that doesn't fucking mean you are getting a perks from a kill streak and a helicopter comes out in Star Wars Fallen Order lol, in fact I never really get WHY the community reacts this way as if 1 person makes theses games and can ONLY make those games, thus working on some other IP will cause it to be like the last game they worked on, its always the funniest odd myth that never really makes a lot of sense when you look deeply into it. Its extremely rare you get a team where 100% of the staff only worked on 1 IP their whole careers. I believe Bioshock Isolation or what ever the fuck they are going to call it is in good hands lol

When they hired that developer, they are focused on what they can do as a developer, not solely the reception of the last game. It would be like trying offer Jason Kidd 100 million after the finals cause Jason Terry and Dirk carried the fucking team to a championship lol I'm pretty sure they also know what they are looking for and how to judge the individual talents of that staff and not simply the overall performance of the last game they worked on (good or bad btw) as they still need to know what THEY did on those projects, not simply the results or perception of the overall project.

If not, we just going to have the bench players from Championship teams out here asking for 100 mill like they did something lol

YukiOnna

I liked all 3 games. Infinite felt a bit like wasted potential but I still enjoyed my time with it.
Glad to hear it's supposedly a new city. I know some people wanted the entire franchise to be set in Rapture but I like the idea of each new game exploring a new city.
I'm one of those who think Columbia is a far better setting than Rapture (I don't care about the horror elements nor the period it was set in interested me), but enough is enough and each game should have a different main setting.

1 and 2 were good. Infinite was lackluster IMO.

Is this game still gonna be Somy exclusive like the rumors from a bit ago claimed?

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Bioshock is temporary in the mind of gamers as shown in this thread, Bioshock Infinite honored the Rapture so I don't understand that frustration, not having to creep around was WHY I liked Infinite. Let's chill out and let Bioshock get back into the minds of gamers after a decade away.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Im curious to see the difference between a 30fps and 60fps current gen UE5 exclusive.

I wonder if the visual upgrade that 30fps allowa will be worth sacrificing the silkiness of 60fps.
im gotten used to 60fps so much, that i rather pick 60fps without RT tbh.

Cryio

If it's not gonna be made by Ken Levine's studio then it's just gonna be a poor man's imitation.

Speaking of which, I wonder what is that guy up to these days. They are still yet to announce whatever game they're working on and it's been years so what gives...
Bioshock 2 wasn't made by Levine's studio and it's a masterpiece of a game.

Paasei

I was just wondering where all the hate for Take-Two went. This game will be published by them, too. You damn hypocrites.

I'm still excited to learn more about this game, as well

Cryio

I should replay all 3 but the "remasters" are shit afaik.
Bioshock 3 Remaster on consoles is the PC version maxed out.

Bioshock 1 and 2 Remastered have better textures, improved materials here and there (vastly better baked in shadow maps), extra geometry, higher resolution shadows, built-in FOV, higher quality ART for the pipe minigame. They're great improvements.

On PC Bioshock 2 is a bit crash heavy, but we have quick saving at least.

And on PC, the Remaster to Bioshock 1 brings Achievements, Museum, Trials, Very High Difficulty AND NG+, which were never patched into the original PC port.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
The main character is Amanda Ripley.

2k Games just said fuck it, we know we don't own the IP, but we're making the next Alien: Isolation game anyway and just putting the word BioShock in front of it.

Bioshock 1 = God tier
Bioshock 2 = Just average tier
Bioshock 3 = WTF is this shit? Where is Rapture?! Where are the horror elements?! Cool story bro tier

Pretty much with these comments:

Bioshock 1 - God Tier (sandbox, horror elements, original)
Bioshock 2 - average tier (with the exception of Minerva’s Den which was great)
Bioshock Infinite - WTF (story packed an emotional punch, but lost a lot of the sandbox fun, WAY more linear and zero horror elements).

Last edited:
Top Bottom