• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Data Map shows the most preferred gaming system for each European country (No Russia)

The report revealed that the Nintendo Switch was the console that ranked the highest in the majority of Europe. 24 countries had the Switch as the most-searched console, including France, Spain, and the Netherlands.

Since its release in 2017, the Switch console has sold over 108 million units, with over 28 million of those in Europe.

In a close second place, the PlayStation 5 was the preferred console of 20 European countries. Most notably, gamers in Germany, Norway and Turkey set the Sony console as their favourite.

Interestingly, while the race between the first and second spots was a close one, the Xbox Series X was markedly lower in the rankings, winning the most popular search position in just three countries.

This is despite the fact that the Xbox Series X was the UK’s most-searched console, and that the latest Xbox console has sold 15 million units since its release in 2020 - meaning, in terms of sales over the past three quarters, it currently beats the PS5.
“With stock shortages having a knock-on effect for sales of the next generation, it’s clear from this data where those effects are at most. Despite selling less than Microsoft’s counterpart, the PS5 remains the most searched, showing there is still demand for it despite the lack of stock across Europe. It’ll be interesting to see how sales truly fare when stock is at a consistent amount”, added a spokesperson from Cribbage Challenge, Commenting on the report’s findings.

One interesting thing about this data is Cribbage claims the Xbox Series sold 15 million but doesn't cite where they got the data, and they also say that Xbox Series beat the PS5 3 quarters in a row in the UK.

From the looks of that map the Switch is winning with more countries total, but the PS5 has more land than Switch and Xbox combined.

Xbox has UK, Hungary, and Kosovo. So we saw some growth, not surprising seeing that Xbox is doing better than 360 and Xbox One at this point, and earlier this year there was an article about Xbox Series temporarily beating PS5 sales in Europe https://www.gamerevolution.com/news/703555-xbox-series-sales-defeat-ps5-europe-console

Still, Xbox has a lot of work to do to increase it's value to other parts of Europe. but we are seeing a great start for performance their so far this new gen.

PS5 needs to refocus to prevent losing more ground to the Switch, but them raising the prices will likely cause a negative effect on sales and adoption. It's also at a much higher price than the Switch, and in the handheld market Nintendo always had Europe on lock outside a short win for the PSP at one point, so given that it's now lacking competition in that space, it's going to be hard to get a now $550-$600 PS5 with the price hike to increase gains.

I bet Hungary is hungry for some good GamePass games finally.

lizard-laughing.gif

Topher

Gold Member
"This is despite the fact that the Xbox Series X was the UK’s most-searched console, and that the latest Xbox console has sold 15 million units since its release in 2020 - meaning, in terms of sales over the past three quarters, it currently beats the PS5."

Nadella reported the 3 quarters Xbox beat PS5, but that was only in the US. No one has reported 15 million Xbox sold that I am aware of and if they did then it would be worldwide, not just UK or Europe. So how they got to "it currently beats the PS5" over the last three quarters.....no idea. If this was an article about the US then it would make more sense.

Edit: More than likely the source for that 15 million Xbox sold was VGchartz. https://www.vgchartz.com/article/45...rldwide-hardware-estimates-for-may-29-june-4/

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
The forgot to add the Canary Islands.

Surprised to see Spain being red, always considered this place to be Sonyland.

Woopah

It's definitely interesting to look at 'most searched' but there are some big differences between this and actual sales.

If we did that, then Switch would have UK and Germany and PlayStation would have Benelux and the Nordics.

Last edited:

Rossco EZ

Something does smell fishy about that, I'd find 50/50 believable.

I don't know anyone who plays on Xbox personally and the Series X/S is pretty easy to find, and much cheaper second hand as well compared to the PS5.
yup, i have no doubt they have made gains in the uk this gen but not that much.

Not gonna lie I am surprised that Xbox placed first in any European countries. No doubt they will do massively better in Europe this time than with the disastrous XB1 though.

jm89

Something does smell fishy about that, I'd find 50/50 believable.

I don't know anyone who plays on Xbox personally and the Series X/S is pretty easy to find, and much cheaper second hand as well compared to the PS5.
Saleswise PS5 has already gone ahead, even with stock issues and xbox being more wideley available it has outsold both xbox and switch it last few months and is just behind switch in total sales this year.

Last edited:

Juras

Lmao what kind of a total bullshit map is this

Czechlands isn't fucking Switzerland

And Nintendo being most popular? Maybe in neogaf nintendo fanbozos wet dreams
I had similar first impression, how the hell Poland is red, then I realized it's Switch2017 vs PS52020 vs XS2020, not N vs PS vs Xbox.

yup, i have no doubt they have made gains in the uk this gen but not that much.

This doesn't make sense to me. Xbox was competitive with PS2 there (ish) smashed the PS3 there, and was only few million behind the PS4. It makes perfect sense given the Xbox Series X is the best selling Xbox so far launch aligned and is also the fastest.

Aenima

Not acurate at all. Portugal is Sony land. But i have no doubt the switch has sold much more here than PS5 for obvious reasons. You cant buy what you cant find for sale.

Last gen the PS4 was outselling Nintendo and MS combined in a 14:1 ratio, and when you enter a physical store about 60% of the shelves are dedicated to Playstation while the remained 40% of space is divided between Nintendo and Xbox.

Going to GamingReplay website, that is one of the biggest videogame dedicated online stores in Portugal, and watch the games ranked by popularity. You only find 3 switch games in the entire page, 1 xbox game, and everething else is PS4 and PS5.

meP2SRg.png

Last edited:

Woopah

Lmao what kind of a total bullshit map is this

Czechlands isn't fucking Switzerland

And Nintendo being most popular? Maybe in neogaf nintendo fanbozos wet dreams
Good spot about Switzerland. Switch is currently the best selling console in Europe though.
I had similar first impression, how the hell Poland is red, then I realized it's Switch2017 vs PS52020 vs XS2020, not N vs PS vs Xbox.
Where did you find this information? The website it is a measure of searches in the last 12 months for all three platforms.

I don't know how relevant this is but I live in Stockholm, Sweden and I ride the subway every day. Only once have I ever seen a Switch in the wild, so is everyone using them docked..? If it's so popular.

The PS5 is still 100% impossible to find in stores here and only the people who pre-ordered the console 2 years in advance got one at the release date, so it's safe to say that Sony is incredibly popular here.

(I pre-ordered it one year before the release and had to wait about 6 months after the release date until I got mine)

🤷‍♂️

SliChillax

I’m from Albania and nobody cares about Nintendo or Xbox. I know gaming store owners that have told me this and almost no friends of mine own a modern Nintendo console. You could always find the Switch of Series X in stock at all times everywhere cause no one bought them. That chart is clearly wrong, don’t know how they came up with those stats.

Last edited:
Most searched? Like on the internet? How can you tell anything from that?

Still, I find this map believable. The Switch is affordable and perfect for families with kids and casuals. They're also widely available and it plays Fortnite. Just about everything the mainstream wants from a system in Europe.

Rykan

PS5 needs to refocus to prevent losing more ground to the Switch, but them raising the prices will likely cause a negative effect on sales and adoption. It's also at a much higher price than the Switch, and in the handheld market Nintendo always had Europe on lock outside a short win for the PSP at one point, so given that it's now lacking competition in that space, it's going to be hard to get a now $550-$600 PS5 with the price hike to increase gains.
This kind of assumes that the audience for both systems are the same and while I'm sure there is some overlap, a purchase of the Switch is not necessarily at the expense of a purchase of the PS5.

Top Bottom