• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New details on Resident Evil 4 Remake

Draugoth

Gold Member

• The village scene & a "decent portion of the game" take place at night now
  • Scarier & inspired by the RE4 betas
  • Side characters have bigger roles
  • Ada's campaign will be expanded
  • Possible early 2022 reveal
  • The report also mentions that a supposed leak that shows a Wesker redesign is not connected to this remake - it was part of a now cancelled RE project
  • Shinji Mikami, the original director of RE4, was supposed to help work on the RE4 remake but declined to do so due to his responsibilites at Tango Gameworks

Kuranghi

Well I'm excited. I love RE2R and I love RE3R even more so more action-heavy RE is a welcome thing in my eyes. I hope they take some cues from Village's gun/player upgrade system as I liked that quite a bit, just enhance what was there in og RE4 and add the Shop as well.

I'm replaying RE4 Albert+Cris HD mod right now and its glorious, can't imagine how atmospheric it will be with shiny modern gray-fix.

I think we got a rumor saying Ada's campaign was scrapped and a rumor saying Ada's campaign was expanded both in the same week.

I'm going to go on record and suggest that Ada's campaign is going to be a DLC event in RE:VERSE.

decisions

It pains me to hear that Mikami is not working on this :/

Re4 Remake just seems like such a more worthy project than Ghostwire: Tokyo, or honestly anything that Tango has put out.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

• Scarier & inspired by the RE4 betas

If this is true this is awesome. I recently finished RE4 again and I cant be bothered to go through 900+ enemies again, Id like something a bit more survival horror.
I always wondered how the RE 4 betas would of turned out

MiguelItUp

I was planning on replaying soon because of that HD version releasing. Looks really good. I'm hoping that when this sees the light of day it's really solid. More of a RER2 experience, please!

Ristifer

Not sure why the majority of the game has to be at night. I liked that the original gradually got darker and introduced increasingly fucked up shit with the time of day.

decisions

The original RE4 is one of the most overrated games of all time and you can't change my mind.

Hopefully they make it actually good this time.
Can confirm this to be false. Currently replaying with the new HD mod and it is still one of the top 5 games I have ever played.

Almost no games even approach the level of synergy between mechanics and encounter design that this game has. Moreover its progression system still feels rewarding and the technical details of the animations and enemy reactions rival modern games. It is simply a masterpiece in gameplay that is always satisfying to replay. I’m actually afraid the remake will lose its unique feel and end up being more like a mix of RE2Remake and RE6.

This is to say nothing about it’s effective atmosphere or charming story…

yes please.

the village was my favorite part of the game; hope they significantly expand that section.

and for gods sake, do not mess up the gun-selling stranger. dont change his voice, or clothes, or lines (ok maybe give his some new lines, but dont remove the old ones).

SSfox

and for gods sake, do not mess up the gun-selling stranger. dont change his voice, or clothes, or lines (ok maybe give his some new lines, but dont remove the old ones).

Didn't though about it but yeah, i can't think on how they can top his original voice, maybe they should just keep it as the original indeed.

Soodanim

Gold Member
As much as I love the original and have spent the last week playing it, I do hope the village areas make sense this time. If you look at the map in 4, the room where you find Luis is metres away from the cable car that takes you down to where you fight Mendez or leave towards the castle, but that makes no sense visually.

Astral Dog

As much as I love the original and have spent the last week playing it, I do hope the village areas make sense this time. If you look at the map in 4, the room where you find Luis is metres away from the cable car that takes you down to where you fight Mendez or leave towards the castle, but that makes no sense visually.
Resident Evil games rarely make sense in their world design, RE4 was a mix between linear but also slightly more open than the action Resident Evils that followed, also all was done on the limited GameCube

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I hope the village isn't too dark. I love the grey atmosphere and the fact that it's horrifying despite the fact that there is daylight.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Resident Evil games rarely make sense in their world design, RE4 was a mix between linear but also slightly more open than the action Resident Evils that followed, also all was done on the limited GameCube
The Raccoon City of original 2/3 makes a decent amount of sense when you connect it all up, at least in terms of locations and mapping. 0 makes it harder to make sense of and is a bit of a stretch, but it still works. Even Outbreak 1/2 fit quite nicely into RC as a whole. There's nothing as egregious as what I mentioned, at least not off the top of my head. RE2's police station didn't have any toilets, though.

One of the defining moments of the village scene was the fact that it took place during the day. It was done purposefully so, from what I remember, to show horror and tension can take place outside of a stereotypical nighttime theme. Changing that in particular would be a surprise, but I guess it wouldn't be much of a remake if they didn't make some substantial shifts.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Considering RE4 is one of my favorite games of all time, I am cautiously hyped for this remake. Hopefully they don't botch it like RE3 remake.

fart town usa

Gold Member
The original RE4 is one of the most overrated games of all time and you can't change my mind.

Hopefully they make it actually good this time.
Ice Cube Movie GIF

I like the game but I do kind of agree. No puzzles and I really dislike Leon's drastic shift as a character from RE2

No remake will ever be better than the original unless it’s literally just the same game with better graphics, which is available with the HD mod now anyways.

I almost guarantee any remake will bastardize the feel/gameplay/charm of the original.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I'm actually pretty excited for the remake.

RE4 is clearly a classic, it's one of the best designed games of all time but I just hate the tone of it. Leon suplexing enemies, roundhouse kicks, anime archetype characters (though CVX started that trend), no puzzles, etc. Like lots of people say, it's a great game but not a good RE game.

GrayChild

Gold Member
Ice Cube Movie GIF

I like the game but I do kind of agree. No puzzles and I really dislike Leon's drastic shift as a character from RE2

Yup. I remember how disappointed I was at how different the final product turned out to be.

- Taking the Regenerator lab and most of the village aside, the game lacked any sort of atmosphere.
- Almost no puzzles. The few that were present were insultingly easy, even by RE standards.
- The goofiness and over-the-top scenes were just too friggin' much and ruined the last remaining tension and suspense.
- Ashley is still one of the most annoying characters in a videogame.
- The game peaked way too early. The first half of the village is still the best part of RE4 according to the vast majority of people I talked with.
- The island section took forever to complete and was boring AF (with the exception of the regenerator lab). Honestly, I'd be glad if they cut like... 90% of it.
- The story was terrible and poorly presented overall. Krauser is probably the most underdeveloped villain in the series along with Derek Simmons.

The fact CAPCOM is looking to bring back some of Hiroshi Shibata's ideas makes me extremely happy. Most of them just couldn't be implemented with the severely underpowered hardware of Gamecube. The technology necessary to pull them off is now available. So it's finally time to bring justice to RE4's original vision.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Hopefully no cut content and there will be additional content as well.

Swift_Star

Banned
Yup. I remember how disappointed I was at how different the final product turned out to be.

- Taking the Regenerator lab and most of the village aside, the game lacked any sort of atmosphere.
- Almost no puzzles. The few that were present were insultingly easy, even by RE standards.
- The goofiness and over-the-top scenes were just too friggin' much and ruined the last remaining tension and suspense.
- Ashley is still one of the most annoying characters in a videogame.
- The game peaked way too early. The first half of the village is still the best part of RE4 according to the vast majority of people I talked with.
- The island section took forever to complete and was boring AF (with the exception of the regenerator lab). Honestly, I'd be glad if they cut like... 90% of it.
- The story was terrible and poorly presented overall. Krauser is probably the most underdeveloped villain in the series along with Derek Simmons.

The fact CAPCOM is looking to bring back some of Hiroshi Shibata's ideas makes me extremely happy. Most of them just couldn't be implemented with the severely underpowered hardware of Gamecube. The technology necessary to pull them off is now available. So it's finally time to bring justice to RE4's original vision.
That’s, like, your opinion…

Of the rumors/leaks for RE4R, this one sounds more promising to me. Hope it's as good as I'm picturing it, and it still got Mikami's blessing I believe regardless of the lack of his direct involvement...and let's be real, I played and beat the other remakes too regardless of their changes in tone and cut content so I say bring on the RE4R! If I'm missing the original, I still got various versions of the original game, RE4 HD Project and RE4 VR to play it in a different perspective (VR FP)

Top Bottom