• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Donkey Kong Game for Nintendo Switch Rumored to Be in Development

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Mentioned in a recent podcast from Nate the Hate, who has previously had scoops associated with upcoming video games, a new Donkey Kong title was mentioned to be in the works at Nintendo. However, outside of this simple confirmation that Nintendo is developing said game, Nate didn't have much more knowledge on the subject. He stated that he's not sure if it's meant to be a 2D title or a 3D title, and also went on to say that he's still uncertain about the possibility of it being revealed and released this year. "I've looked into it and I can't really get any clarification on it," he said of the next Donkey Kong game.

The one important piece of conjecture that he did add, however, tied back in Super Nintendo World, which is Nintendo's theme park at Universal Studios in Japan. At this time, a new Donkey Kong section of the park is being built and is set to open in the future. Nate hypothesized that this new Donkey Kong game for Nintendo Switch could somehow be associated with the theme park that Nintendo is currently creating. While it's uncertain how these two projects might intertwine with one another, this could be the reason why Nintendo has yet to announce this new Donkey Kong game just yet.

Again, it's worth stressing that all of this information should be taken with a grain of salt. While it seems likely that Nintendo is creating a new Donkey Kong title for Switch, until the company formally announces said game, it's hard to know exactly what should be believed here.

Robb

Gold Member
I absolutely adore Tropical Freeze and would love to see a third game, but I assume this isn’t RETRO Studios since they’ve got their hands full with Metroid.

A new take on DK in 3D could be pretty cool.

Robb

Gold Member
Apparently this DK game is being made internally by Nintendo EPD.
Oh okay, neat. I’m hoping they try a 3D game in that case and that they let RETRO make another 2D continuation down the line.

Robb

Gold Member
telling you to either take a break or read a tutorial
Heh, I remember getting those notifications all the time in most of Nintendo’s first party games on the Wii.. Super annoying. Glad it’s not as common these days..

t7WrfiP48YONAwjykFQGwwHtQn3x_sDjAn-KyCkZpdw.jpg

Superwave

Banned
What other DK games are there for Switch? Just that old Freeze game?

I'm on the moon in SM Odyssey so about to complete it I think. Not played a DK since DKC on SNES.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

What exactly is Donkey Kong's thing?

What sets it apart from other games in the same genre?
If you’ve played DKCR or DKTF you’d know. They are cult games because of how well they control and how they reward skilled play. Only a few games have this sense of flow: Ori series, N++ and maybe Super Meat Boy.

But I think Retro is kinda dead so I’m not as excited for this as I would normally be.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Tropical Freeze is fantastic. I hope they remake DK64, which isn't nearly as bad as many making it out to be. It's just overblown with collectibles (like Banjo Tooie) and characters should be switchable on the spot.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
These “insiders” desperate for attention are so sad…

Wait what, wrong thread 😵‍💫

Last edited:

Tg89

Would love to see a return to the tone of the original DKCs (well, 1/2 primarily). Retro's efforts were great from a gameplay standpoint but just didn't touch the first two in terms of atmosphere.

Tg89

For the original trilogy I'd say it was the atmosphere. Those three games, specifically 1/2 (2 did it best) were absolutely incredible at world building through environment/music/etc. Probably the best worlds of any 2D platformer.

DKC2 is Rare at their absolute peak.

Last edited:

ultrazilla

Mentioned in a recent podcast from Nate the Hate, who has previously had scoops associated with upcoming video games, a new Donkey Kong title was mentioned to be in the works at Nintendo. However, outside of this simple confirmation that Nintendo is developing said game, Nate didn't have much more knowledge on the subject. He stated that he's not sure if it's meant to be a 2D title or a 3D title, and also went on to say that he's still uncertain about the possibility of it being revealed and released this year. "I've looked into it and I can't really get any clarification on it," he said of the next Donkey Kong game.

The one important piece of conjecture that he did add, however, tied back in Super Nintendo World, which is Nintendo's theme park at Universal Studios in Japan. At this time, a new Donkey Kong section of the park is being built and is set to open in the future. Nate hypothesized that this new Donkey Kong game for Nintendo Switch could somehow be associated with the theme park that Nintendo is currently creating. While it's uncertain how these two projects might intertwine with one another, this could be the reason why Nintendo has yet to announce this new Donkey Kong game just yet.

Again, it's worth stressing that all of this information should be taken with a grain of salt. While it seems likely that Nintendo is creating a new Donkey Kong title for Switch, until the company formally announces said game, it's hard to know exactly what should be believed here.

Another "Nate the Hate" rumor? Has anyone looked into verifying this guy being a legit "insider" or is he just some random dude getting lucky with some of
his predictions? I've got no issues with him, he seems like a cool enough guy but was just wondering about his background.

Kokoloko85

Please be a 3D game, Ive had enough of the 2D donkey kong games as good as they are. I want another 3D platformer/Collect em up for Nintendo

Kokoloko85

I need to play tropical freeze but I’m not paying $60 for a game I got for free on the wiiu
Same. I didnt buy Pikmin 3 for Switch either and I looooove Pikmin 3.

Nintendo trying to charge me $60 for a game I already bought on the Wii U for almost half the price 7 years later….. Nah, it’s a huge kick in the face. Slightly downgraded too.

Shows what Nintendo is like when they are fully arrogant. And the reason I bought another Switch 2nd hand to get the rest of my games for “free”

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.

Good question. I was gonna say the character you play as, but in the original Donkey Kong you play as Mario. So maybe there isn't an answer to your question.

Last edited:
It'll be amusing if this turns out to be a Jungle Beat sequel just to see all the reactions from people expecting either a new DKC or yet another Nintendo Open World Game.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Please be a 3D game, Ive had enough of the 2D donkey kong games as good as they are. I want another 3D platformer/Collect em up for Nintendo
Nintendo have been working on a new 2D Mario game for a couple of years. If there’s a new DK game then I’d assume it would be 3D to differentiate it but then again Kirby is also 3D.

Outside of 3D Mario and Zelda they don’t make games like other developers. They have a couple of big open plan studios and people are working on multiple projects at the same time and they jump to what ever needs man power at any given time.

2022 is packed for Switch so I wonder if they even need to release DK or Mario this year. There’s also apparently a new Fire Emblem and a new Xenoblade coming aswell as the Metroid Prime 1 remake on top of Arceus, Kirby, Advance Wars HD, Splatoon 3, Mario Rabbids 2, Bayonetta 3 and BotW 2.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Fucking Donkey Kong.

If it was 3D I might be interested, but knowing Nintendo and their budget saving ways I'm guessing another 2D platformer which the industry is absolutely swamped with given the indie scene.

I have no faith in Nintendo.

Aldric

Good question. I was gonna say the character you play as, but in the original Donkey Kong you play as Mario. So maybe there isn't an answer to your question.
There's a few things that set Donkey Kong apart from other platformers:

-Originally it was a technical showcase for Nintendo. It might sound insane for those who weren't there at the time but when DKC was released on SNES it was a genuinely impressive looking game with state of the art prerendered graphics. The OST was also phenomenal with David Wise creating some legendary tunes that have become associated with the series like Jungle Japes or Aquatic Ambiance.
-Of course today it can't be the same since Nintendo has abandoned the technical arms race but it remains an extremely spectacular series with a focus on presentation. The DKC games developed by Retro have some insane setpieces that look like they're out of a big budget Hollywood movie. Wise is also still composing the OST.
-It's a significantly harder series than other Nintendo platformers and even for platformers in general I'd say it's on the harder end of the spectrum, being comparable to something like Crash Bandicoot (Naughty Dog obviously took a lot of inspiration from DKC to make their platformer).
-Gameplay wise there's a focus on forward momentum built through rolling through or jumping on enemies with the proper timing that gives the game a very exciting feeling. The games are built for speedrun with carefully positioned enemies and platforms that require a lot of skills to exploit to reach maximum speed.

Top Bottom