• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Final Fantay XII video...

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Looks good and it seems like I see summons... good... which reminds me I really need to restart/finish FFX-2 one of these days to see WTH happened with all the Aeons, etc...

Gattsu25

Banned
summons or totema?

not sure if i was right, but the 'summons' in the old trailers looked like the FFTA totema to me...

downloading now...prepare to hear me bitch about how fucking retarded the battle system looks if it has battle footage

Razoric

Banned
u_neek said:
Looks more and more like Star Wars..

You mean KOTOR? If so, this is a very good thing. I loved the battle system of KOTOR. If FFXII takes that concept and advances it a bit I'll be one happy camper.

Gattsu25

Banned
argh...not this again

the battle system doesn't look like KOTOR...it looks like FFXI

FFXI + stupid lines + no lock on (why the characters run around like total fucking FFXI noobs) = FFXII

edit: and u_neek meant the star wars universe

duckroll

Gattsu25 said:
the battle system doesn't look like KOTOR...it looks like FFXI

FFXI + stupid lines + no lock on (why the characters run around like total fucking FFXI noobs) = FFXII

Since FFXI also plays kinda like KotOR, it's a fair comparison, just not the only one. :p

Oh and for the uninformed (you), the "stupid lines" can be TURNED OFF, and you ARE locked on when you attack an enemy. Ask anyone who's actually PLAYED it before making dumb assumptions!

Zilch

Banned
I think those lines look cool and useful.

I'll probably turn off the health meter over everyone's head, though.

DSN2K said:
does look alot like Kotor, its just some people dont like to admit it. :p

im looking forward to it.

It just looks like a MMORPG battle system which is basically what KoTOR's was. So it's more MMORPG than anything.

Zilch

Banned
But you can't pause the action in any MMORPG. Or control more than one character, for that matter.

You guys should play some western RPGs if you'd like to form an informed opinion of FFXII's system.

The game looks phenomenal. Well, atleast the CG does. I'll get it just because its a lot different in terms of gameplay from the previous Final Fantasies. Atleast its not another Final Fantasy X-2. Oh, and has the overworld map returned in this game? I'm hoping it has but if its like KoToR, then I'm guessing no...?

Zilch said:
But you can't pause the action in any MMORPG. Or control more than one character, for that matter.

You guys should play some western RPGs if you'd like to form an informed opinion of FFXII's system.

Even people that have played it have said it's very similar to MMORPG battle systems. You select attack and your character starts attacking over and over till you finnaly tell him to stop and give them another action. There are some differences, but the actual style is completely like MMORPG's.

Gattsu25

Banned
to the un-informed, FFXI and KOTOR play similar but at their hearts, they are completely different games from a gameplay point of view

KOTOR is, essentially, a severely dumbed down BG2. A turn based game with the illusion of being real-time because it doesn't automatically pause at the end of each combat round (though this can be enabled). Actions you perform are done at the start of the next combat round.

FFXI, on the other hand, is more of a pseudo-realtime based game with your actions are being determined by your weapon delay and not a universal amount of time. Actions you perform are either performed immediatedly or when their charge-up delay is done.

Both games let you initiate combat and then sit back and watch as your characters attack (wich will get *you* killed quickly in FFXI, slowly in KOTOR, and almost instantly in BG2), and both games opperate under very different rules. But i'm going to assume (there's that assumption stuff again...as you where so keen to point out) that you never cared to even understand why they are different. Ignorant, if you will.

KOTOR and FFXI only play the same if you consider Everquest and Baldur's Gate 2 to play similar.

So yeah, to the average dumbass, KOTOR plays like FFXI. Those are also the people that can beat KOTOR but quit FFXI after getting to level 10 then bitch about FFXI here...but that's going off topic.

Now...how in the hell does the lines being optional make my post any less valid...THEY'RE THERE

And yes, I do know you can lock on in FFXII...but:

the characters run around like total fucking FFXI noobs

watch a newbie fight in FFXI to see what i'm talking about here

S.S.D.D.

But can you queue up commands for your other characters? Like pause the action, select some commands you would like to follow through with, then unpause and watch the actions flow smoothly?

Zilch

Banned
You might not like how this system works, but I think we can all agree it's better than immersion-shattering random battles where your characters stand in a line and you click 'Attack' over and over again (yawn).

I've been a faithful FF fan for years, but that shit is undeniably outdated.

But can you queue up commands for your other characters? Like pause the action, select some commands you would like to follow through with, then unpause and watch the actions flow smoothly?

Yes, you can. This alone makes it fundamentally different from ANY MMORPG system you could bitch about.

Zilch said:
You might not like how this system works, but I think we can all agree it's better than immersion-shattering random battles where your characters stand in a line and you click 'Attack' over and over again (yawn).

No, just give me a Grandia 2 style combat system and that will work.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
>>>But you can't pause the action in any MMORPG. Or control more than one character, for that matter.<<<

And you can do both in KOTOR.

Bebpo

Banned
cvkpaladin said:

Queue is a bad word here. You can give your teammates 1 single command to do at the moment, but you can't tell them what to do when they've finished that command.

Oh, only one command? Hmmm, seems interesting but I kinda wish that you can give more then one command to your fellow comrades. However, it might be for the best. Are there any videos where you can see the fights in action?

"You might not like how this system works, but I think we can all agree it's better than immersion-shattering random battles where your characters stand in a line and you click 'Attack' over and over again (yawn)."

No, whether it's better or not will depend on parameter balance, action design, enemy and encounter design, etc. Just making it real-time and continuous-motion-control doesn't automatically make it better, a poorly balanced and uninventive RT/CMC battle section can be just as boring as a poorly balanced turn-based section. Recent FF games (7-8, 9 to an extent, I haven't played 10 or 11) have poor battle sections not because they're turn-based with no space system, but because they're poorly balanced.

Top Bottom