• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Games with Gold for July 2022

coffinbirth

The plus side to this for me has been that at least they're usually games that I wouldn't buy, therefore never get a chance to try out.
And you know what's worse than getting mediocre games? Getting games you've already paid for. That shit sucks.

I don't want GP and us Gold subscribers greatly outnumber the GP subscribers.

So what about us?
Where are you getting those Gold subscribers numbers? With how easy it is to convert from Gold to GP Ultimate I'd be really surprised if it's anywhere near as relevant as it once was. MS's lack of effort with the games they put in Games of Gold says it all, I'm surprised it even exist at this point given how little they seem to care, it only makes MS look bad.

Last edited:

coffinbirth

At this point, I’d rather just have 1 free game a month that is of a decent standard. Whether it’s an OG Xbox title like Conker, a 360 game like Banjo, or a good Xbox One game.

It’s borderline insulting at this point.
Well, they did that in one fell swoop when they gave away Rare Replay....multiple times.
And it seems to me that they have kinda moved away from titles that are available at retail, or at least for Xbox One era stuff, which makes sense given the nature of the service this is used to bolster, but yeah the quality of the games tends to be mediocre.

Trogdor1123

Torchlight is actually pretty sold for those who are interested. Neat little story and game

Are there mods for the Xbox one?

S0ULZB0URNE

Where are you getting those Gold subscribers numbers? With how easy it is to convert from Gold to GP Ultimate I'd be really surprised if it's anywhere near as relevant as it once was. MS's lack of effort with the games they put in Games of Gold says it all, I'm surprised it even exist at this point given how little they seem to care, it only makes MS look bad.
You can easily google them.
Has more subscribers

Cutting off it's largest gaming subscriber population would be foolish.

You can easily google them.
Has more subscribers

Cutting off it's largest gaming subscriber population would be foolish.
Again, just show me where you are getting this info since as far as I know they haven't made any information about Gold subscribers public in year.

If you have found the information as you are saying that you have then share it.

Last edited:

Jaybe

S0ULZB0URNE S0ULZB0URNE nominedomine nominedomine

These are the most recent numbers for GP (25 mil) and Gold (16 mil). Comes from this video.

TJk71Eg.png

Last edited:

Jaybe

Thanks, so just an estimation and even then Gold has a lot less subscribers as expected.
It’s not an estimation. Indeed, Gold has 9 million less subs than GP. Gold at 16 million is more than I figured it would have given the incredible GP conversion deal. For reference, I believe around 2012 Gold peaked at 46 to 48 million back when MS was more public with the measure.

graywolf323

Gold Member
It’s not an estimation. Indeed, Gold has 9 million less subs than GP. Gold at 16 million is more than I figured it would have given the incredible GP conversion deal. For reference, I believe around 2012 Gold peaked at 46 to 48 million back when MS was more public with the measure.
it is an estimation from an analytics firm

MS hasn’t disclosed Gold subs in a long long time, they only like to talk about monthly active users and Game Pass sub counts

16 mil seems really low for Gold honestly given it’s cheaper than Game Pass and required to play online, for one thing GPU subs should count towards both numbers

How is it not an estimation? The source is himself. He uses public info for Gamepass total number but somehow has information no one has about Gold?

MS was willing to tell the numbers to this company but wasn't willing to share it with shareholders?

MS hasn’t disclosed Gold subs in a long long time, they only like to talk about monthly active users and Game Pass sub counts

16 mil seems really low for Gold honestly given it’s cheaper than Game Pass and required to play online, for one thing GPU subs should count towards both numbers
I think 16m is probably way too high giving how much MS markets Gamepass and how aggressive MS has been over the years with pushing people to Gamepass, it signal that MS is having massive difficulties even convincing people that already have an Xbox to become Gamepass subscribers. F2P doesn't require Live Gold anymore as well.

Who owns an Xbox and doesn't subscribe to Gamepass but subscribes to Gold at this point? Seems crazy to me.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
How is it not an estimation? The source is himself. He uses public info for Gamepass total number but somehow has information no one has about Gold?

MS was willing to tell the numbers to this company but wasn't willing to share it with shareholders?

Yeah I'm gonna call BS on the numbers on the slide without more info.

There is no way GP has over taken Gold subscribers, Gold has a very healthy lead of a good number of years.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
At this point, they should just rebrand and call it Game Pass Essential.

Online + a small selection of rotating games every month. Instead of... this.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Why is paying for online even a thing in 2022? Especially on XBOX. I don't need to pay to play online on my XBOX PC app. Why do I need to pay to play on XBOX console? Shit makes no sense.

Fbh

At this rate I expect they will soon team up with Burger King to bring back some true classics.

s-l400.jpg

Why is paying for online even a thing in 2022? Especially on XBOX. I don't need to pay to play online on my XBOX PC app. Why do I need to pay to play on XBOX console? Shit makes no sense.

There's never been a reason for multiplayer on consoles to be paid other than "people are willing to pay"
Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo have literally tens of millions of people paying for this. They won't just give up on free money

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Pay Me Kim Kardashian GIF by GQ

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
There's never been a reason for multiplayer on consoles to be paid other than "people are willing to pay"
Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo have literally tens of millions of people paying for this. They won't just give up on free money

I agree.

But in case of Microsoft they should really drop that shit. They offer "XBOX experience" on PC and multiple other devices (xCloud) and you don't have to pay for online there. It's completely disrespectful to charge your customers for it on a proprietary console.

I agree.

But in case of Microsoft they should really drop that shit. They offer "XBOX experience" on PC and multiple other devices (xCloud) and you don't have to pay for online there. It's completely disrespectful to charge your customers for it on a proprietary console.
There's no chance.

Even IF all they care about is GamePass, it's a lot easier to convince someone to pay $180 per year instead of $60 per year than it is to pay $180 instead of zero. By removing GwG, they're only making NOT having GP seem like a better deal.

Reactions: Fbh

graywolf323

Gold Member
There's no chance.

Even IF all they care about is GamePass, it's a lot easier to convince someone to pay $180 per year instead of $60 per year than it is to pay $180 instead of zero. By removing GwG, they're only making NOT having GP seem like a better deal.
I remember when there were all the rumors about how Xbox was going to drop Gold and make online free, then instead they tried to double the price of Gold (which was clearly to try to convince people to switch to GPU instead) before quickly backing down

edit: my point being the fact MS tried to increase the price of Gold shows they’re not about to drop it instead

Last edited:

jshackles

I remember when there were all the rumors about how Xbox was going to drop Gold and make online free, then instead they tried to double the price of Gold (which was clearly to try to convince people to switch to GPU instead) before quickly backing down
I imagine that they saw the writing on the wall. They knew they would have to raise the price to keep the good games coming. Since they kept it at the same price, we're now suffering the consequences.

Yeah, it was very obvious what they were attempting to do - boost GP numbers. The backlash proved more than expected and they quickly had to back pedal.

These pitiful GwG line-ups are clearly doing the same thing. Unfortunately, this sucks for GP users too. GwG and PS+ Essential games are yours for as long as you have a membership, while GamePass and PS+ Extra games leave the service all the time and you must play them immediately or risk missing out.

Fbh

I agree.

You aren't wrong, but most users don't care.
And what alternatives are there? Playstation where you also have to pay for multiplayer, or PC where you'll still be giving MS money if you want to play their games (either through PC Game pass or buying the games).

That's just the current reality of console gaming. You pay less up front for the hardware but then they get you with higher software prices and added service fees.

Jaybe

Yeah I'm gonna call BS on the numbers on the slide without more info.

There is no way GP has over taken Gold subscribers, Gold has a very healthy lead of a good number of years.
100% GP (GP+GPU) has overtaken Gold. 1) There was the heavily promoted $1 upgrade from Gold to GP. 2) The GP numbers were reported. 3) GPU includes Gold services but the count goes to GP 3) Xbox only sold 40 to 45 million of the One line, and not every console is going to have a sub.

Your personal shilling of GP in every thread is clearly having an impact 😝

Riky

$MSFT
GwG and PS+ Essential games are yours for as long as you have a membership, while GamePass and PS+ Extra games leave the service all the time and you must play them immediately or risk missing out.

Not actually true, the 360 games you keep regardless. Also first party games don't leave Gamepass unlike on PlayStation where the three original Killzone games have now gone.

Jaybe

MS likely provides the numbers to him. the presentation is filled with provided information from platforms, publishers, and developers. Unbiased independent research firms can be supported by stakeholders who benefit from provided analysis (I work at one, different industry though). Even if not provided, there is a high likelihood that a person invited to speak at GDC, with his contacts would have access to this if they are putting a number on a slide. Otherwise they would denote it’s estimate or not provide it. If does happen to be an estimate, I’m sure it’s far more accurate and quantitatively sound than any one on here has.

Not actually true, the 360 games you keep regardless. Also first party games don't leave Gamepass unlike on PlayStation where the three original Killzone games have now gone.
Where's Alan Wake? That's a 360 game that was on GamePass and no longer there. I downloaded it off GamePass and no longer have access to it.

Now, IF I had been given Alan Wake on GamePass, I'd still have it. But that's my point. They don't put the good stuff on GwG - just on GP and only for a period of time.

Where's Forza 7? That was first-party and on GamePass. It's no longer there.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
There is a difference between licensing and just removing games for no reason, also like I said GWG allows you to keep the 360 games, Gold isn't Gamepass.
People who had Forza 7 on Gamepass at the time the game was delisted were given a free digital copy to keep.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Where's Alan Wake? That's a 360 game that was on GamePass and no longer there. I downloaded it off GamePass and no longer have access to it.

Remedy bought the publishing rights to it back and it was up to them if/when the game goes on or off of the service.

Same thing, third party licenses expired. Games that don't have this issue will obviously not need to get delisted.

Last edited:

graywolf323

Gold Member

Now, IF I had been given Alan Wake on GamePass, I'd still have it. But that's my point. They don't put the good stuff on GwG - just on GP and only for a period of time.

to be fair I think Riky's point was 360 games from GWG are yours to keep forever, not just for the length of your subscription

Riky

$MSFT
The point is you don't get to keep all 360 games on GamePass. They're no different than any other GP game.

If it was on GwG, you'd still have it, regardless of what Remedy did. Riky Riky is clearly confused how these services work.

The thread is about Gold, please keep up, you keep the 360 games.

Last edited:
to be fair I think Riky's point was 360 games from GWG are yours to keep forever, not just for the length of your subscription
That's my point actually. MS is purposely putting garbage on GwG to make GP appear more appealing. That sucks because the games that we get to keep aren't even worth downloading.

PS+ is at least still putting good stuff under Essential that never gets pulled, unlike the times rentals of the games that fall under the higher priced subscriptions.

adamsapple

The point is you don't get to keep all 360 games on GamePass. They're no different than any other GP game.

If it was on GwG, you'd still have it, regardless of what Remedy did. Riky Riky is clearly confused how these services work.

Yeah, that's what he's saying in his latest post as well. Games going on Game Pass are subject to removal, but for Games with Gold and 360 games specifically they stay to your profile.

In fact, xbox 360 games on games with gold will remain to your profile even if your Gold expires. They're permanently yours even without any subscription.

Xbox 360: Any Games with Gold titles that you redeem as an Xbox Live Gold or Xbox Game Pass Ultimate member are yours to keep, regardless of whether you continue your subscription.

Riky

$MSFT
Yes, and why MS purposefully not putting anything worthwhile on GwG is bad, for both GwG subscribers AND GP subscribers.

They're linked. Which is why adamsapple adamsapple and yourself were so quick to rush in and say "Don't look at these GwG games! Please look at GamePass!!"

I didn't say that at all, stop lying. I said you get to keep the 360 games mentioned in this thread because you were wrong in saying otherwise, as usual.

Top Bottom